Is it worth going from a Sony VPL-VW285ES to JVC DLA-RS2000? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By Reddig
  • 6 Post By Mike Garrett
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is it worth going from a Sony VPL-VW285ES to JVC DLA-RS2000?

Just like the title thread says.....is it worth going from the Sony to the JVC?

I heard black levels and HDR are better in JVC? Are there any other advantages to switching projectors?

I don't mind waiting to see what happens in the projector market in the future. But as I am a big 3D fan, I'm worried 3D will go away from these projectors. Ideally I would like a laser projector under $10,000 that has JVC blacks, 3D, HDR but do you guys think that will happen in the next 5 years or so?
scoochie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Just like the title thread says.....is it worth going from the Sony to the JVC?

I heard black levels and HDR are better in JVC? Are there any other advantages to switching projectors?

I don't mind waiting to see what happens in the projector market in the future. But as I am a big 3D fan, I'm worried 3D will go away from these projectors. Ideally I would like a laser projector under $10,000 that has JVC blacks, 3D, HDR but do you guys think that will happen in the next 5 years or so?
Power focus, zoom, lens shift, a manual and dynamic iris, dynamic tone mapping for HDR, multiple lens memories - there are a lot of advantages. The VW285 is a stripped model. As far as the future, who knows. I can't even say with 100% certainty that I'll be alive in 5 years. Let alone what if any new projectors may or may come out.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Power focus, zoom, lens shift, a manual and dynamic iris, dynamic tone mapping for HDR, multiple lens memories - there are a lot of advantages. The VW285 is a stripped model. As far as the future, who knows. I can't even say with 100% certainty that I'll be alive in 5 years. Let alone what if any new projectors may or may come out.
For sure, it's a better projector Craig. I guess I was just debating on if I should hold out longer and curious if any one feels that laser projectors would come under $10,000 and still retain all the great features in the JVC RS2000 in the next few years.
scoochie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,747
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
For sure, it's a better projector Craig. I guess I was just debating on if I should hold out longer and curious if any one feels that laser projectors would come under $10,000 and still retain all the great features in the JVC RS2000 in the next few years.
Depends on how you define "a few". If you define it as 3 or more, then the answer is yes, because at some point we will get there, but I don't see that happening next year and I doubt it the following year. When I say next year, I am talking introduced at CEDIA next September for the following year. So 2020 no, 2021 I doubt it. 2022, maybe, but would not hold my breath. Things always move slower than you think.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SED <--- Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Depends on how you define "a few". If you define it as 3 or more, then the answer is yes, because at some point we will get there, but I don't see that happening next year and I doubt it the following year. When I say next year, I am talking introduced at CEDIA next September for the following year. So 2020 no, 2021 I doubt it. 2022, maybe, but would not hold my breath. Things always move slower than you think.
Contrast is where I would like JVC to focus on regarding the successors of the NX7 and NX9. Mike, do you think there will be a nice bump in native contrast? If so, what do you predict the numbers will be? I'm talking about the reveals in CEDIA 2020. Realistically, I predict the NX7 successor will have 100,000:1 native and the NX9 successor to have 120,000:1 native. But I would be ecstatic if they can get to 130,000:1 native for the NX7 successor and 160,000:1 native for the NX9 successor.
SED <--- Rules is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,747
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
Contrast is where I would like JVC to focus on regarding the successors of the NX7 and NX9. Mike, do you think there will be a nice bump in native contrast? If so, what do you predict the numbers will be? I'm talking about the reveals in CEDIA 2020. Realistically, I predict the NX7 successor will have 100,000:1 native and the NX9 successor to have 120,000:1 native. But I would be ecstatic if they can get to 130,000:1 native for the NX7 successor and 160,000:1 native for the NX9 successor.
It took JVC several years to get to 130,000:1 native contrast with 1080P panels. We are not going to suddenly jump to that performance in a year with 4K panels. I think it will go just like it did with the 1080P panels, small improvements each year or two.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
If a Sony 295 and a JVC RS2000 were stuck in a burning building I would run in to rescue the RS2000 but not the Sony 295.
Craig Peer, scoochie and coxy2416 like this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Reddig is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,747
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
If a Sony 295 and a JVC RS2000 were stuck in a burning building I would run in to rescue the RS2000 but not the Sony 295.
That made me laugh.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SED <--- Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It took JVC several years to get to 130,000:1 native contrast with 1080P panels. We are not going to suddenly jump to that performance in a year with 4K panels. I think it will go just like it did with the 1080P panels, small improvements each year or two.
Darn, the improvements in that area are snail-like. I was waiting forever until we got to the 160,000:1 range for 1080p (RS640) and now 4K HDR is the newest trend. So now more waiting until we get to that level with the 4K panels. The waiting seemingly never ends. A lot of classic movies have been re-mastered for 4K HDR, but not 1080p, which means the best picture can be found only on 4K UHD (Predator 1987 comes to mind).
SED <--- Rules is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Power focus, zoom, lens shift, a manual and dynamic iris, dynamic tone mapping for HDR, multiple lens memories - there are a lot of advantages. The VW285 is a stripped model. As far as the future, who knows. I can't even say with 100% certainty that I'll be alive in 5 years. Let alone what if any new projectors may or may come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Depends on how you define "a few". If you define it as 3 or more, then the answer is yes, because at some point we will get there, but I don't see that happening next year and I doubt it the following year. When I say next year, I am talking introduced at CEDIA next September for the following year. So 2020 no, 2021 I doubt it. 2022, maybe, but would not hold my breath. Things always move slower than you think.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. It gives me an idea of what to expect and think about if I want to wait that much longer or not. Something I will ponder on for sure.
scoochie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off