Strange grayscale measures on Sony 285 - help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Strange grayscale measures on Sony 285 - help

Hi guys, (apologize me if I opened a new thread but I don't know where I have exactly to write than the official thread) I need help and your opinion. My projector sony 285 (Italian 260es) has about 200 hours. Some days ago I've made a new calibration (I am not an expert but I used to make a good grayscale and gamma in these years). The problem is at 10 ire. With a good linear grayscale 6500 Kelvin the 10 ire is completely wrong. It has an evidence need of Blu and the very black image obviously is brown tinted. I can't solve this because if I raise up Blu all the others ire bias point gone wrong. See the image. The dealer said to me that I can solve this problem with image director but: I never tried a calibration with this software but firs off all it seems to me very strange to be obliged to use this software to solve the problem. What do you think about? Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

This is the hcfr image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191031_162723_1573048962866.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2637106  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Image director will give you much more control and I agree it would solve this problem. I used it with my VW60, HW30, HW45 and VW285. It lets you nail the flattest greyscale possible with Sony projectors. Image director gives you the ability to make custom gamma curves for all three colors so just bump on the low blue and you'd be done.

You only "have" to use it if the higher level calibration didn't already provide a satisfying image.
(Good news is it's free, you can connect to the projector over the network, and a reset undoes any changes so it's pretty safe to use for an advanced tool, you can even add the published German Curves as a HDR alternative to the Sony HDR gamma setting.)

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-08-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Something seems really wrong with your calibration.

HCFR is saying your contrast ratio is 816:1. It should be more like at least 5000:1 worst case but most likely even more than that with a 285.

Did you raise any RGB offset values? That is a no-no on Sony as it will raise your black floor and destroy your contrast. Like you said black looks brown.

Use RGB Gains to set your 100% IRE and then use Sony Image Director 3 to fix the rest of the greyscale and the gamma.

Using Image Director will allow you to fine tune specifically any IRE level without affecting black or your contrast. It's essentially like a 1023 point RGB and gamma editor.

Last edited by SirMaster; 11-08-2019 at 08:47 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Something seems really wrong with your calibration.

HCFR is saying your contrast ratio is 816:1. It should be more like at least 5000:1 worst case but most likely even more than that with a 285.

Did you raise any RGB offset values? That is a no-no on Sony as it will raise your black floor and destroy your contrast. Like you said black looks brown.
I didn't notice that !

"Did you raise any RGB offset values?"

Can you better explain what you referred to ? i' don't understand sorry

Thank you so much
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucama View Post
I didn't notice that !

"Did you raise any RGB offset values?"

Can you better explain what you referred to ? i' don't understand sorry

Thank you so much
I forgot Sony calls them Bias, not Offset.

In this menu, which is when you edit a color temp:

If you set any of the RGB Bias to values larger than 0 it will destroy your contrast ratio and raise your black floor and make it not black anymore.

So to calibrate the Sony, use the Gain controls in that menu to adjust 100 IRE only. Don't use the Bias controls. Lowering them is OK, but is not needed when using the Image Director software.

Then use Sony Image Director software to adjust IRE 0-99 as well as your gamma to probably 2.2, but you can go up to 2.4 depending on your preference.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I forgot Sony calls them Bias, not Offset.

In this menu, which is when you edit a color temp:

If you set any of the RGB Bias to values larger than 0 it will destroy your contrast ratio and raise your black floor and make it not black anymore.

So to calibrate the Sony, use the Gain controls in that menu to adjust 100 IRE only. Don't use the Bias controls. Lowering them is OK, but is not needed when using the Image Director software.

Then use Sony Image Director software to adjust IRE 0-99 as well as your gamma to probably 2.2, but you can go up to 2.4 depending on your preference.

ah Ok.........it seems to me that RED bias is + 2. GREEN bias 0. But i had to lower the BIAS blu about to -10 in order to get that linearity between 20-50. And that's the problem. with BLU bias at -10 you can see that 10 IRE lacks too much blu.

So i don't understand the low Contrast ratio
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucama View Post
ah Ok.........it seems to me that RED bias is + 2. GREEN bias 0. But i had to lower the BIAS blu about to -10 in order to get that linearity between 20-50. And that's the problem. with BLU bias at -10 you can see that 10 IRE lacks too much blu.

So i don't understand the low Contrast ratio

Set them all back to 0 and run the full greyscale measurement and check the reported contrast ratio to get a baseline.

Maybe also check your brightness setting. Open a 0 IRE measurement and see if the luminance (Y) goes down when you lower your brightness control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page