JVC RS540 vs Epson 5050UB - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 92 Old 12-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilema View Post
I don’t agree with you. I had these projectors for examination for long enough to compare.

Epson is a lot brighter not in just dynamic mode which I never used. It is much much brighter in natural which I have calibrated for hdr. The pallets coverage is circa 90% of BT in that mode and is really good enough for great hdr highlights. For me picture from Epson was more 3 dimensional.

When it comes to epson in digital cinema mode with filter I didnt like it at all. It definitely takes too much light away what is comparable to JVC.

Therefore when it is actually much brighter colors look much more pleasant are richer more beautiful. In HDR especially and these reds and greens are stunning.

I agree JVC is great for small/ medium screens but please do not recommend it over for big screens since Epson gives much more joy in my experience.

Both projectors were new same lamp usage. And JVC is not much quieter actually in my setup ( big dedicates media room with decent sound system) JVC is moderate loud in high lamp while Epson is louder but once movie starts Epson fan goes slower after a minute what make noise much more closer to JVC. Surprisingly none of the experts here mention that 😉.

I believe a lot of people didn’t spend enough time actually watching movies with one or other of these projectors and are quite radical in assessments. I really don't know how someone can tell JVC is much better hands down. I experienced these myself watching movies and chosen Epson cause it gave me much more pleasant and joy picture on my really big screen.

I did circa 500 hours and know this machine quite well. I am in projectors last 16 years thus maybe not an expert but neither a rookie 😉

I am waiting for JVC with Epson brightness for reasonable price. Currently only RS3000 meets my perfect picture expectations (which I know quite well as well) but price is too high.
Obviously everyone has a different opinion. My observations were in a very blacked out room with both projectors shooting on to a 130" spandex screen. The owner of the 5050(one of my closest friends) was blown away by the black level the X790 can achieve. I know black level isn't everything but in my eyes if you have that level of light control it made the colors pop more. Switching back and forth between them we noticed a clear difference, even another friend who doesn't even care about any of the technical stuff thought the JVC put out a picture that just had more depth.

End of the day buy what you like and enjoy the purchase. I think the 5050 is the current best bang for the buck purchase of 2019 and would have had one if it wasn't for the deal I got on the X790.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 Old 12-08-2019, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
JVC black are better therefore really dark scenes look better including colors at these scenes on that machine. However when you rightly set up Epson the blacks on hdr are not bad at all. You need to do some tricks with gamma, lowering brightness setting and colours tweaks. This requires to know the machine better. It is also important to feed it with 4:4:4 signal what gives better results than 4:2:2. what is strange on movies.

So JVC blacks are superior in the really dark scenes however all mixed and bright scenes to me Epson looked better and this is 90 % of movie time in average. HDR lookes more like action is happening next to me. The screen is big what makes the effect of being next to action stronger thus the final effect is as I described to me.

During the years I always had “darker” projectors as always it was said they gave great picture. But now I am more happy with brighter one while the sharpness, colors, hdr, and shadow details are also great.

And one note: my experience is with TW9400 what is equivalent of 6050ub I believe. And with JVC RS540 what is the reference series with the carefully picked up components.
post #33 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2922 Post(s)
Liked: 1532
Depends on your screen size, I think the brightness of the JVC's are about the same as the previous series.
They are rated by JVC about the same lumens as before.

You could look into a dual-projector setup as well, if you are concerned about specific things.

The one exception (someone can correct me if I am wrong) is if you are using a scope A-Lens, I guess the larger panel of the 4k allows more light to be trapped by the lens?

LCD has a bit of a rougher image due to pixel fill, so a Native 4k projector like an RS-1000 should be a huge step up, but brightness is the most important thing regardless (if you don't have enough that is). Brightness is pretty much everything, if the image is not bright enough, then things will look dull and lifeless.

For an average user, I would base the calculations on 1000 lumens for a JVC, and 1500 for an Epson.
Both projectors are brighter than this, but this is ABOUT the brightness you retain after 500-1000 hours.

I don't know about others, but when I'm using a projector with an older lamp (right before I replace it), a torch mode is nice to have and I hardly care as much about color accuracy. Sure, I don't want to watch a purely green image, but I might not mind a dE of up to 10 if I can get a 50% brighter image, usually 5-8 is more bareable though.

Some people said their JVC lamps did not dim any, but in hearing from other JVC owners, most of them do still dim. 1/3rd brigtness loss at 1000 hours is the average range for UHP lamp based projectors. I have only seen one projector out of 20 measured to lose less than 10% of brightness at 1000 hours, it is usually a fluke and is just from environmental factors or getting a particularly lucky lamp. That said, haven't measured many newer projectors, but the tech hasn't changed that much, just better ballasts. The lamps are still similar designs, though slightly better QC for some projectors.

I still think Sony and Benq have the best lamps, based on what I've seen. Also, Viewsonics tend to have long-lasting lamps, not sure why.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5710 Post(s)
Liked: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRLIFE View Post
I picked up a JVC X790R from Bestbuy Magnolia on Friday. After two days with this projector, I was left unimpressed. Image appeared noticeably dimmer than the Epson 6050UB in low lamp and high lamp modes. Native contrast with iris wide open was impressive and the image was a bit sharper than what the 6050UB was capable of.

But there was no pop to the picture. Colors look flat and image is just too dim for my liking. JVC's fan on low mode was ok but it was annoyingly loud on high mode. I'm sure most JVC users are in light controlled rooms but I just can see how anyone could prefer such a dim image. And knowing that was with a fresh bulb, things would only get worst from here. So I returned the projector on Sunday.

Only options I have now is JVC RS1000, a used Sony 695ES or go back down to EPSON 5050/6050. I'm wondering if JVC improved the brightness on the RS1000? Or if the Sony 695ES is any brighter?
JVC uses the same lamps in the RS1000, 2000, 3000 as they did in the RS400, 500, 600, RS420, 520, 620, RS440, 540, 640. So brightness has not changed. The RS1000 will be the same as the RS540. The sony 695ES is dimmer yet. On high lamp the jvc and sony are about the same. But on low lamp sony runs 55% of high lamp while JVC runs at 72% of high lamp. My Sony 675ES (same lamp, same brightness specs as 695ES) ran 1600 lumens high lamp and 890 lumens low lamp. My RS500 ran 1250 lumens low lamp and 1750 lumens high lamp with 2880 hours on the bulb.

If you're not in a purely light controlled room, you are not going to benefit from the far far better blacks on the JVC over the Epson anyway. To that end, if you're not in a properly light controlled room, you might consider one of the BenQ lasers or such. The LK970 was going for under $3K refurb at benqdirect last week. 5000 lumens and much closer to native 4K than your epson.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #35 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I picked up a JVC X790R from Bestbuy Magnolia on Friday. After two days with this projector, I was left unimpressed. Image appeared noticeably dimmer than the Epson 6050UB in low lamp and high lamp modes. Native contrast with iris wide open was impressive and the image was a bit sharper than what the 6050UB was capable of.

But there was no pop to the picture. Colors look flat and image is just too dim for my liking. JVC's fan on low mode was ok but it was annoyingly loud on high mode. I'm sure most JVC users are in light controlled rooms but I just can see how anyone could prefer such a dim image. And knowing that was with a fresh bulb, things would only get worst from here. So I returned the projector on Sunday.

Only options I have now is JVC RS1000, a used Sony 695ES or go back down to EPSON 5050/6050. I'm wondering if JVC improved the brightness on the RS1000? Or if the Sony 695ES is any brighter?
This is what I have experienced as well. I told you exactly the same. I have preferred Epson over JVC.
And someone above writes above here that we are comparing to torch mode. This is not correct. Natural mode which is 100% color for SDR and can be adjusted to approx 90% color coverage for UHD is much brighter than JVC. It is not using filter. Epsons filter modes are not great comparing to natural mode.
post #36 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My RS500 ran 1250 lumens low lamp and 1750 lumens high lamp with 2880 hours on the bulb.

If you're not in a purely light controlled room, you are not going to benefit from the far far better blacks on the JVC over the Epson anyway. To that end, if you're not in a properly light controlled room, you might consider one of the BenQ lasers or such. The LK970 was going for under $3K refurb at benqdirect last week. 5000 lumens and much closer to native 4K than your epson.
It happens, but that is not the norm, that's rare. Generally you see much faster drop-off.
I had a lamp in a Benq w7000 only lose 15% at 1200 hours, but the next lamp lost 45% in the same time.
Both lamps were new from the MFR, my Benq projector came with two lamps due to a special deal.

So you just never know really, but the 1/3rd at 1000 hours is a good metric.

My $2500 Benq is now essentially worthless, because the lamps STILL cost $300 a pop, and older 1080p DLP's are not selling for much anymore.
Normally, I'd go with aftermarket, but the lamp market for that PJ is flooded with 'used' bulbs ("fakes"), and the projector no longer fits in my new room properly anyhow, so why waste money, I'll have to sell it.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-10-2019 at 02:56 AM.
post #37 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
This is what I have experienced as well. I told you exactly the same. I have preferred Epson over JVC.
And someone above writes above here that we are comparing to torch mode. This is not correct. Natural mode which is 100% color for SDR and can be adjusted to approx 90% color coverage for UHD is much brighter than JVC. It is not using filter. Epsons filter modes are not great comparing to natural mode.
Maybe not torch mode, but I am pretty sure your dE is going to be higher than you think if you scan saturation tracking at all points, as well as use the newer calibration methods, and not just do the basic gamma / grayscale. The Epson is definitely brighter than the JVC overall, no question about it. Per calibrated numbers, I've seen mixed results, but you should be able to calibrate it brighter than a JVC, but not a whole lot brighter. It just depends on how much of a 'purist' calibration we are speaking of.

I mean an Epson does 2600-2800 Max Lumens in Torch mode on a new lamp, whereas a JVC can do 1900-2200 usually in torch mode. However, the Epson quickly comes down to around 2000 or less calibrated, whereas the JVC is still around 1600-1800. That sounds like a big difference, but they should be within 300 lumens calibrated generally speaking, which isn't all that much.

I'm sure there are some modes that look good that are brighter, but to get the max brightness difference does mean a torch mode.
LCOS torch mode isn't nearly as far out of whack as an LCD's torch mode, and LCOS lose much less lumens in calibration.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-10-2019 at 03:06 AM.
post #38 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 AM

Very very low, contrast will be poor compared to the Epson you sold off.

Do you really need that much brightness, that higher-end Benq DLP' is only the pick if you need an ultra-bright image.
Honestly, I'd look at a less expensive DLP as a holdover until you find what you want, then sell the DLP.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Vie...-4K-review.htm

The PX727-4K is in many respects the most elegant of this new group of 4K projectors when all aspects of picture quality are taken together as a whole--image sharpness, color balance, contrast, saturation, image stability, and a natural smoothness that will appeal to the videophile. It does not have the black levels of the Optoma UH50, the UHD60, or the Vivitek HK2288, nor does it have the 3D of the BenQ HT2550, but in many other important aspects it can exceed the performance of these more expensive competitors, each of which has flaws of their own.

You could also look at an Optoma 51ALV or Optoma 51A.

post #39 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 605
JVC RS540 vs Epson 5050UB

Well at least for the JVCs you can get new bulbs for $135 a pop from a forum member here so replacing them at 1000 hours or maybe even less doesn’t even seem so crazy for many of us with out usage patterns.

That is if you actually need peak brightness.

My NX5 is doing 1200 lumens calibrated in low bulb so far with 300 hours. And it’s plenty to light up my 140” screen for HDR.
post #40 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 AM

What was the reading at new and what type of meter?

post #41 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.amazon.com/AEMC-CA813-Fu.../dp/B008S0AHSY

It's measuring the same as it was when it was new. I've been measuring it almost every time after I use it, since February and I have not measured any drop yet.

I also see about 1600 lumens in high bulb, but I don't normally use high.
post #42 of 92 Old 12-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked: 10677
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
It happens, but that is not the norm, that's rare. Generally you see much faster drop-off.
I had a lamp in a Benq w7000 only lose 15% at 1200 hours, but the next lamp lost 45% in the same time.
Both lamps were new from the MFR, my Benq projector came with two lamps due to a special deal.

So you just never know really, but the 1/3rd at 1000 hours is a good metric.

My $2500 Benq is now essentially worthless, because the lamps STILL cost $300 a pop, and older 1080p DLP's are not selling for much anymore.
Normally, I'd go with aftermarket, but the lamp market for that PJ is flooded with 'used' bulbs ("fakes"), and the projector no longer fits in my new room properly anyhow, so why waste money, I'll have to sell it.
For the last four/five years, JVC has had excellent lamps. Slow to dim and seldom have flicker problems. Less lamp issues than Sony. There have been a couple threads where people masured their lamps and not one of them experienced 1/3rd drop off at 1,000 hours.
post #43 of 92 Old 12-11-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 57
They still have some Benq lk952..but honestly. Im testing one out right now and while the picture is amazing if I lower my translucent white sheer blinds and turn off the lights..who wants to do that while they are eating dinner or cleaning house or working. You just want a movie on in the back ground. The 5000lumen Benq lk952 struggles on the low APL scenes in my beachfront fully windowed living room. Im getting an ALR screen sample tomorrow from XYscreens I am hoping that puts the lk952 into the acceptable range. CNN FOX MSNBC BIG BANG THEORY etc are all fine to watch in any condition but movies struggle. The LK990 has another 1000 lumens at 6000 and im kinda hoping that might be the answer if the ALR screen isn't.

The laser is what convinced me to ignore the 6050 and a A Lens. I couldn't deal with the fact the projector was already at the low end of acceptable and at 250 hours bulb use it would be even worse.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #44 of 92 Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For what it's worth, my experience with the RS540 has been very different than ALRLIFE.

Post-calibration, it's sufficiently bright that for SDR content I'm running with the manual iris at -7 (Auto 2 DI) and still find it more than bright enough. Able to run fantastic HDR keeping the lamp set on low.

That said, I certainly wouldn't spend this much on a projector in a room with ambient light (frankly with ambient light I'd either go laser or just buy a TV). But for anyone else debating the RS540, I'm still floored by the picture quality.

Brightness is also very dependent on settings, color modes etc. Don't bother judging HDR brightness on one of these without putting in custom curves

To be clear, I'm not trying to knock ALRLIFE's impressions, just throwing out there that for those with a different room situation and preferences for brightness the RS540 simply kicks ass.
Krbass and Mike Garrett like this.
post #45 of 92 Old 12-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 689
When I can get a new rs540/x790r for the current price of a new 5050ub I'll gladly return the 5050ub (which I may be doing anyway) and go for the JVC (having owned an RS40 for a couple years that had a ballast failure I would still like to return to JVC for their exceptional image).

I was going to go the used JVC route until I discovered (read their warranty) that they do not honor warranty beyond the initial buyer, so unless someone has added a third party extended warranty second hand JVC's appear to have no warranty even if they are a day old and new in box. If you buy a used unit on ebay then often times an aftermarket warranty can be added.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 RIP KOBE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #46 of 92 Old 12-12-2019, 11:57 PM

I seriously doubt that RS1000 will give you much better picture than RS540. It will be sharper. That’s it.
The only projector which is as bright as Epson and has all typical JVC advantages is RS3000. But it is sickly pricy as well.

Keep looking.
post #47 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I continue to read contradicting opinions on the LK 970/990 online. Some people rave about their overall picture quality. While others state they look awful with dark scenes with any space image appearing washed out with a grey haze over the image. Argh.
We, in the club of ARGH!!!!!, welcome our newest member.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #48 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I seriously doubt that RS1000 will give you much better picture than RS540. It will be sharper. That’s it.
The only projector which is as bright as Epson and has all typical JVC advantages is RS3000. But it is sickly pricy as well.

Keep looking.

The RS3000 is the exact same brightness as the RS1000.

Or at least the 2 samples that I measured in the same position, same meter, same settings were.

They do use the same bulb after all.
post #49 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 02:45 AM

Well Sir not to my eyes based on real movies I watched on them. Also specs are different 1800 vs 2200 lumens.
This is very strange what you have said. Maybe there are some specific modes when they are equal. I am talking HDR performance and this is what I have seen personally.

Remember bulb maybe same but lenses are way way bigger on RS3000. Thus the price difference I guess.
post #50 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I continue to read contradicting opinions on the LK 970/990 online. Some people rave about their overall picture quality. While others state they look awful with dark scenes with any space image appearing washed out with a grey haze over the image. Argh.

Seriously considering increasing my my budget for a JVC RS1000. Though I hate to purchase the entry level model in any product line. It usually leaves me wanting for more.
Some of this is user perception, some of it is how bright people have it set to, some of it is whether or not they are watching HDR, and some of it is what scenes they are watching.
There are dark scenes like "space scenes" where it will look good, such as if there is enough brightness in the image, but most are going to look so-so.

Per a dealer that has a shop near me that I drop by on occasion to discuss projectors, he had some weird issues with these Benqs, but he had a FIRST RUN shipment.
He didn't like the calibration. He offered to set it up for me, but I didn't want to give him the trouble. He basically said the blacks are slightly better than the regular OLD Benqs, like the w7000, but not miles better.
You have to understand though he is looking at it from an "hours worked" perspective, and since the Benqs were a PITA to calibrate, he actually swapped it out for a different model.
He's not an expert calibrator like ChadB or anything, but he's quite a decent calibrator.

You're going to need calibration equipment or pay a calibrator, it's a real pain. On the one he had, it was off by 15 dE and he had issues getting it under 10 dE without sacrificing brightness, but he was on the VERY edge because he was installing it for Landscaping place to do "Visualization before you buy" type setup. Too much red, and the greens looked funny, and normally he wouldn't care, but it made their "model lawns" look under-saturated at times and over-saturated at other times, which was a major problem for his install. There was one semi-accurate mode, but the gamma had issues in that mode, and it wasn't bright enough for him. The final straw for him was it losing some settings on a power cycle, he couldn't deal with all that in combination, so he returned it.

That is just one experience though, some members in this forum seem to love these things.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.
post #51 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I went from a 5040 to an RS520, so a similar, though I imagine smaller, jump.

Worth every damn penny. I would do it again without hesitation. Across the board upgrade.
coderguy likes this.

JVC RS-520, Elite Screens 100" AcousticPro UHD electric
Klipsch RP-8000F, RP-450C, 2xRP-240S, 2xRP-402S, 2xSVS PB-1000
Denon AVR-X3200W/HDFury Linker/MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Panasonic UB820/PC/PS3/PS4 Pro/Switch/WiiU/Xbox One X/Original Xbox
Logitech Harmony Hub
post #52 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I've yet to do a direct side by side comparison between a JVC and my calibrated Epson 9400 but I did see an calibrated X5900 in a similar room to mine which afterwards I headed directly home and played to see scenes to compare. The JVC had better blacks but in my opinion the jump wasn't huge, definitely not the kind of jump I have been lead to believe when be seen between the two, also when playing 4K HDR I actually felt the Epson did a better job at handling HDR and dare I say IMO looked a little crisper too.

Probably in a side by side viewing the superior blacks might have been more noticeable but based on what I saw I didn't come away feeling that I needed to run out and trade my Epson for the JVC. I actually think switching to a grey screen would achieve a similar result to that of the JVC which might well me my next port of call.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #53 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Seriously considering increasing my my budget for a JVC RS1000. Though I hate to purchase the entry level model in any product line. It usually leaves me wanting for more.
What size screen?
What aspect ratio?
What fabric in your screen?
Is your screen dark and light controlled?
What do you want to use the projector for?
Will you be watching much HDR content?
post #54 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Keep looking.
It will be sharper and cleaner. The RS1000 is quite a bit better with HDR.
post #55 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:40 AM

For 110"-120" screen (or less), I don't know why anyone would pick the Benq over a JVC, unless they just want to torch everyone out, or the throw distance doesn't work in a particular room. Unless someone was only buying a projector for pure gaming in bright scenes or sports only watching, or something like that, then it would make sense.

Of course there is the cost, but some of the Benqs aren't exactly cheap either unless you get a refurb deal, but even then it's only slightly cheaper than the entry-level JVC, depending which Benq we are referring to.

I would definitely suggest the JVC over any Benq.

If dead set on a Benq, then the ht9060 or even the ht5550 (not sure about sharpness on this unit) would actually be the home theater versions.
These others are light canons for bright rooms.

Last edited by coderguy; 12-13-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #56 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Some of this is user perception, some of it is how bright people have it set to, some of it is whether or not they are watching HDR, and some of it is what scenes they are watching.
There are dark scenes like "space scenes" where it will look good, such as if there is enough brightness in the image, but most are going to look so-so.

Per a dealer that has a shop near me that I drop by on occasion to discuss projectors, he had some weird issues with these Benqs, but he had a FIRST RUN shipment.
He didn't like the calibration. He offered to set it up for me, but I didn't want to give him the trouble. He basically said the blacks are slightly better than the regular OLD Benqs, like the w7000, but not miles better.
You have to understand though he is looking at it from an "hours worked" perspective, and since the Benqs were a PITA to calibrate, he actually swapped it out for a different model.
He's not an expert calibrator like ChadB or anything, but he's quite a decent calibrator.

You're going to need calibration equipment or pay a calibrator, it's a real pain. On the one he had, it was off by 15 dE and he had issues getting it under 10 dE without sacrificing brightness, but he was on the VERY edge because he was installing it for Landscaping place to do "Visualization before you buy" type setup. Too much red, and the greens looked funny, and normally he wouldn't care, but it made their "model lawns" look under-saturated at times and over-saturated at other times, which was a major problem for his install. There was one semi-accurate mode, but the gamma had issues in that mode, and it wasn't bright enough for him. The final straw for him was it losing some settings on a power cycle, he couldn't deal with all that in combination, so he returned it.

That is just one experience though, some members in this forum seem to love these things.
Native contrast on these E-shifting projectors is actually lower that the older 1080p DLP's.
post #57 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Native contrast on these E-shifting projectors is actually lower that the older 1080p DLP's.
Yah, but it's not enough to matter, it's almost the same.
The dynamic contrast on the newer ones work better, but it's not a huge improvement.

The DI on the older Benqs was somewhere between awful and downright pitiful.

post #58 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Honestly, when I read this, my only conclusion is that you had a defective JVC unit, maybe not totally defective, but something might have messed up the default calibration or been wrong with the lamp. It happens, even though it is very rare with JVC, it can happen.

There is just no way if you had a 115" screen (even in a room with white walls) is a JVC not bright enough.
Unless you have some type of vision issue (and I don't mean that sarcastically), but in Lamp High you should have been able to get to 50 fL.

That is more than 3x the average brightness of your local cinema showing, 3x...

Unless you were just basing the comparison PURELY on the Epson vs. JVC brightness (that makes some sense), but then the JVC is still plenty bright enough.
Consider this, in the old days most of us put up with 8fL or less, and you can get up to 50 fL, even if using Eco mode you should have still gotten to 35.

post #59 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

JVC RS540 vs Epson 5050UB

Quote:
Well Sir not to my eyes based on real movies I watched on them. Also specs are different 1800 vs 2200 lumens.
This is very strange what you have said. Maybe there are some specific modes when they are equal. I am talking HDR performance and this is what I have seen personally.

Remember bulb maybe same but lenses are way way bigger on RS3000. Thus the price difference I guess.

The RS3000 can get brighter, but that requires placing it very close to the screen.

Remember that brightness drops off with throw distance. The lens on the RS3000 has a larger throw range and thus can be placed closer to the screen while resulting in the same screen size.

This is where the lumen specs come from. Not everyone is going to place their RS3000 that close to their screen.

When I measured the RS3000 vs the RS1000 I put them in the same mount which is how people would normally install their projector in a specific location.

I measured multiple modes and they were the same brightness (within 0.1fc) when both projectors were mounted 21ft back from a 172” screen.

The bigger lens explains some brightness, but not 400 lumens. When placing both at their closest possible throw the RS3000 measures about 150 lumens higher. But at the same throw they were measuring the same.
coderguy likes this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 12-13-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #60 of 92 Old 12-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I agree with your sentiments here. I have more than one screen. I switched to using a smaller screen in order to maximize brightness with a high contrast projector. If I went with a Benq DLP laser model, I would switch back to a 135" or a 150" screen. I never could understand why guys would pair a average lumen JVC with a monster screen over 130". Brightness will be below average with a fresh bulb. And will only get worse over time.
I agree that a larger screen needs serious lumens. My X790 is shooting on to a 128" center stage XD screen. It is very bright but my room is very dark with lots of triple black velvet. I don't think I've ever wanted it brighter in fact sometimes it is too bright.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page