JVC Adaptive HDR in home theater 4K with Epson TW9400 vs JVC NX5 vs Sony VW270ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidHir
  • 2 Post By blee0120

post #1 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 436
JVC Adaptive HDR in home theater 4K with Epson TW9400 vs JVC NX5 vs Sony VW270ES

This is a very interesting 4K youtube video review entitled:

JVC Adaptive HDR im Heimkino 4K Beamervergleich mit Epson EH-TW 9400, JVC DLA-N5 und Sony VW270ES

or in Google English:

JVC Adaptive HDR in home theater 4K video projector comparison with Epson EH-TW 9400, JVC DLA-N5 and Sony VW270ES

it's in German but you can turn on close captions and autotranslate those to your language of choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
The JVC with the DTM is going to be in a different league compared to the Sony and Epson for HDR.
Tom Bley likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
The JVC with the DTM is going to be in a different league compared to the Sony and Epson for HDR.
I think DTM is what JVC really needEd to be to fully justify its price of the Epson. I would love Epson to offer something similar but I’m not sure it has the processing power.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I think DTM is what JVC really needEd to be to fully justify its price of the Epson. I would love Epson to offer something similar but I’m not sure it has the processing power.
JVC is by far superior even without DTM than Epson.
Tom Bley and DavidHir like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Indeed, far superior PRICE!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
@Luminated67 I see you're a owner of this projector (EH-TW9400), would you care to share some thoughts and ideas about using it, and how to make it work BEST? If for example have you heard about some specific settings (like for example the so called "german gama curves" for the Sony 270ES) that might be getting most of what the projector can, not that it is not good as it comes out of the box.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_ro View Post
@Luminated67 I see you're a owner of this projector (EH-TW9400), would you care to share some thoughts and ideas about using it, and how to make it work BEST? If for example have you heard about some specific settings (like for example the so called "german gama curves" for the Sony 270ES) that might be getting most of what the projector can, not that it is not good as it comes out of the box.
I don’t believe there’s a particular setting that universally works for any projector, screen size and gain plus room conditions and projector zoom will all affect how it will need to be set up. So based on this the only solution is a proper calibration which works wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120
Not doubting that but you are missing the point I was making, here in the UK/Europe the N5 is twice the price of the 9400 and frankly it’s a big ask to say it’s twice as good, of course if you are a true audiophile you’d not bother about the price simply because it’s better no matter by how much but for the rest of us it’s a huge jump in price for what was modest gains compared to price but now with DTM it’s doing things that you would need an external processor for so the price difference accordingly has greatly reduced.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don’t believe there’s a particular setting that universally works for any projector, screen size and gain plus room conditions and projector zoom will all affect how it will need to be set up. So based on this the only solution is a proper calibration which works wonders.
Firstly, thanks for answering, really appreciate!

Sure thing, I’m not saying that there’s some “magical settings” that do wonders for all situations and setups, just merely referred to some “tips & tricks”, some ideas and “points” that could be “adjusted” so that we can improve the image more, and this without getting a proper calibration, which, I think here in Romania would be not that easy to get.

Also, I believe that after hours of watching, a normal lamp projector would certainly loose some of the “shine”, therefore the calibration for sure would have to be redone, right? And, for me, I think a calibration would only last very short time, as I’m usually watch at least 2-3 hours daily, and in weekends more, from 4 to 8 hours sometimes! So, in this case, I believe that some ideas and tricks (that I might not already know), would probably be more helpful for me on the long term.

Quote:
Not doubting that but you are missing the point I was making, here in the UK/Europe the N5 is twice the price of the 9400 and frankly it’s a big ask to say it’s twice as good, of course if you are a true audiophile you’d not bother about the price simply because it’s better no matter by how much but for the rest of us it’s a huge jump in price for what was modest gains compared to price but now with DTM it’s doing things that you would need an external processor for so the price difference accordingly has greatly reduced.
Please excuse my “noobness”, what stands for “DTM”? It is something related to Tone Mapping?

Have a good one...
post #9 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Firstly, thanks for answering, really appreciate!

Sure thing, I’m not saying that there’s some “magical settings” that do wonders for all situations and setups, just merely referred to some “tips & tricks”, some ideas and “points” that could be “adjusted” so that we can improve the image more, and this without getting a proper calibration, which, I think here in Romania would be not that easy to get.

Also, I believe that after hours of watching, a normal lamp projector would certainly loose some of the “shine”, therefore the calibration for sure would have to be redone, right? And, for me, I think a calibration would only last very short time, as I’m usually watch at least 2-3 hours daily, and in weekends more, from 4 to 8 hours sometimes! So, in this case, I believe that some ideas and tricks (that I might not already know), would probably be more helpful for me on the long term.
If you google settings for the 9400 you’ll see huge variations on settings so I can only assume if the machines themselves are similar and quite close tolerances then room/screen and zoom have to have most of the effect on settings. If you want to do a basic calibration on your own get yourself a calibration discs like one of these.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CKWI1..._zcB0Db5EEMCE9

Quote:
Please excuse my “noobness”, what stands for “DTM”? It is something related to Tone Mapping?

Have a good one...
Dynamic Tonal Mapping.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
If you google settings for the 9400 you’ll see huge variations on settings so I can only assume if the machines themselves are similar and quite close tolerances then room/screen and zoom have to have most of the effect on settings. If you want to do a basic calibration on your own get yourself a calibration discs like one of these.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CKWI1..._zcB0Db5EEMCE9

Dynamic Tonal Mapping.
Many thanks for the info and ideas!

Wouldn’t be better to get this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spears-Muns...dp/B07Q2KBDKV/
post #11 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many thanks for the info and ideas!

Wouldn’t be better to get this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spears-Muns...dp/B07Q2KBDKV/
Yeah probably.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page