What are the key differences between the last few years of JVC projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What are the key differences between the last few years of JVC projectors?

Hello,

Can someone explain the major differences between the last few models of JVC's projectors that have been released? Starting with the DLA-X550R, X570R, x590, etc. and forward?

I am interested in purchasing a used or b-stock/refurbished JVC, but am having trouble understanding what value to place on the last few years of JVC's. Another question would be are the previous year's 700's line better than the next years 500 line? (example: X750R vs X570R)

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Smith View Post
Hello,

Can someone explain the major differences between the last few models of JVC's projectors that have been released? Starting with the DLA-X550R, X570R, x590, etc. and forward?

I am interested in purchasing a used or b-stock/refurbished JVC, but am having trouble understanding what value to place on the last few years of JVC's. Another question would be are the previous year's 700's line better than the next years 500 line? (example: X750R vs X570R)

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
How much HDR 4K content do you watch? The HDR performance of the native 4K projectors is night and day better than the previous eshift projectors. If HDR performance is important to you than you may want to consider looking at the latest projectors. The JVC true 4K projectors can be found as new and B stock for way less than MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
How much HDR 4K content do you watch? The HDR performance of the native 4K projectors is night and day better than the previous eshift projectors. If HDR performance is important to you than you may want to consider looking at the latest projectors. The JVC true 4K projectors can be found as new and B stock for way less than MSRP.

I'd say maybe 30-40%. However, my family does quite a bit of streaming and it seems that more and more new shows are being released in 4k hdr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
With a lot of HDR viewing, I would start with the RS2000

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
CalMAN, CS1000, K10-A, Spyder5, Six-G, QD780
JVC RS3000, RS2000, RS600
post #5 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
With a lot of HDR viewing, I would start with the RS2000

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I would have to second this recommendation. JVC put out a firmware update in October for the RS2000/NX7 and RS3000/NX9 and RS1000/NX5. Among other features updated, the biggest was adding Dynamic Tone Mapping. No more blown out highlights or dark HDR movies due to static tone mapping. The projector can now tone map either frame by frame or scene by scene, whichever you choose. Without using an HTPC or other video processor such as Lumagen or MadVR you can now have almost OLED level of HDR performance. It really is a game changer.

SED <--- Rules likes this.
post #6 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would have to second this recommendation. JVC put out a firmware update in October for the RS2000/NX7 and RS3000/NX9 and RS1000/NX5. Among other features updated, the biggest was adding Dynamic Tone Mapping. No more blown out highlights or dark HDR movies due to static tone mapping. The projector can now tone map either frame by frame or scene by scene, whichever you choose. Without using an HTPC or other video processor such as Lumagen or MadVR you can now have almost OLED level of HDR performance. It really is a game changer.

Thanks for the clarification on dynamic tone mapping. That sounds like a great feature, but unfortunately the NX5/NX7 is out my budget for now. If b-stock or used options come available I will strongly consider it.

Any thoughts on the differences between the X550, X570, and X590? I am considering upgrading to the Epson 5050UB which can be had for about $2,500 with current discounts. After doing a lot of forum reading I'm learning that the JVC projectors (even the older models listed) should be able to outperform them. My problem is I don't really understand the differences between those older models, and what a fair price for those used models should be.
post #7 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on dynamic tone mapping. That sounds like a great feature, but unfortunately the NX5/NX7 is out my budget for now. If b-stock or used options come available I will strongly consider it.

Any thoughts on the differences between the X550, X570, and X590? I am considering upgrading to the Epson 5050UB which can be had for about $2,500 with current discounts. After doing a lot of forum reading I'm learning that the JVC projectors (even the older models listed) should be able to outperform them. My problem is I don't really understand the differences between those older models, and what a fair price for those used models should be.
JVC has better blacks and better contrast and overall a better image.

Epson 5050 will be brand new with 2 year warranty, with better out of the box HDR and easier HDR optimization due to the 16 point HDR slider. Epson lamps are much less expensive. Epson has more lumens. Projected lumens, when calibrated ,will be close .

JVC HDR is much more dependent on custom HDR tone curves, that generally a professional calibrator would be setting up for you. When those are set up properly previous generation JVC projectors will provide fantastic HDR performance. That calibration can cost from $500-$1000. All projectors of the same model have differences in color accuracy and lamp brightness that makes trying to use custom curves from another person's same projector less than ideal. The calibration is also based upon the screen material, throw distance and the room conditions. When buying a used projector some people highlight that it was calibrated and has custom HDR curves. Keep in mind that might not be ideal for your screen material, throw distance and room conditions. You might want to look at buying screen material from Seymour AV . They have diy screens and the money saved could be put towards your projector.

I would seriously consider a 5050 with BF deals and possibly free financing. Older model JVC HDR requires some effort to match the 5050 HDR performance out of the box. You will probably have a hard time locating b-stock of the JVC previous generation projectors. Buying used JVC with low hours on the lamp and

AJSJones likes this.
post #8 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Epson 5050 will be brand new with 2 year warranty, with better out of the box HDR and easier HDR optimization due to the 16 point HDR slider. Epson lamps are much less expensive. Epson has more lumens. Projected lumens, when calibrated ,will be close .

JVC HDR is much more dependent on custom HDR tone curves, that generally a professional calibrator would be setting up for you. When those are set up properly previous generation JVC projectors will provide fantastic HDR performance. That calibration can cost from $500-$1000. All projectors of the same model have differences in color accuracy and lamp brightness that makes trying to use custom curves from another person's same projector less than ideal. The calibration is also based upon the screen material, throw distance and the room conditions. When buying a used projector some people highlight that it was calibrated and has custom HDR curves. Keep in mind that might not be ideal for your screen material, throw distance and room conditions. You might want to look at buying screen material from Seymour AV . They have diy screens and the money saved could be put towards your projector.

I would seriously consider a 5050 with BF deals and possibly free financing. Older model JVC HDR requires some effort to match the 5050 HDR performance out of the box. You will probably have a hard time locating b-stock of the JVC previous generation projectors. Buying used JVC with low hours on the lamp and

Great points. Thank you. I actually am doing a 130" DIY acoustically transparent screen through Seymour. It will arrive in the next few days!

It seems like the 5050UB may be the way to go. Most of the used JVC's I've been seeing in the classifieds has been around $2,000-2,500. If I need to spend another $500 to get it calibrated, that will quickly go over the budget.
post #9 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great points. Thank you. I actually am doing a 130" DIY acoustically transparent screen through Seymour. It will arrive in the next few days!

It seems like the 5050UB may be the way to go. Most of the used JVC's I've been seeing in the classifieds has been around $2,000-2,500. If I need to spend another $500 to get it calibrated, that will quickly go over the budget.
I love Seymour. Chris and company are great. You will not be disappointed with the image the 5050 throws for SDR and HDR. I own a 6050. The peace of mind of the two year warranty adds some value as well. A used 4k eshift JVC projector could be a great deal but would require some more time and effort to really dial in the HDR performance. When done properly it does give an overall better image than the 5050 but it is close.

post #10 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Hi I would take a look a this classified, this is a great deal with very low hours and already has the HDR curves loaded for quick setup. Add the inexpensive Panasonic UB420 UHD player for an affordable combo with JVC's excellent native contrast.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...ry-linker.html
post #11 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I love Seymour. Chris and company are great. You will not be disappointed with the image the 5050 throws for SDR and HDR. I own a 6050. The peace of mind of the two year warranty adds some value as well. A used 4k eshift JVC projector could be a great deal but would require some more time and effort to really dial in the HDR performance. When done properly it does give an overall better image than the 5050 but it is close.

I worked with Jon and he was extremely helpful with placing the order and answering the several questions I had. With a small amount of elbow grease, the price is going to come out to be about $450 for all the materials. The same cost as a silver ticket screen, but I imagine significantly higher quality.
post #12 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi I would take a look a this classified, this is a great deal with very low hours and already has the HDR curves loaded for quick setup. Add the inexpensive Panasonic UB420 UHD player for an affordable combo with JVC's excellent native contrast.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...ry-linker.html
I have been eyeballing this. It's about $700 cheaper than a new Epson 5050UB. He says he'll include the HDfury linker (which I don't know a ton about), which I think is pretty crucial for maintaining the dynamic iris for HDR content.
post #13 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I worked with Jon and he was extremely helpful with placing the order and answering the several questions I had. With a small amount of elbow grease, the price is going to come out to be about $450 for all the materials. The same cost as a silver ticket screen, but I imagine significantly higher quality.
No offense to Silver Ticket but your Center Stage screen material will blow you away. Did you go UF or XD?

post #14 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No offense to Silver Ticket but your Center Stage screen material will blow you away. Did you go UF or XD?

Glad to hear I made the right decision on the screen. Per Jon's recommendations, I went with the XD.
post #15 of 42 Old 11-25-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I have been eyeballing this. It's about $700 cheaper than a new Epson 5050UB. He says he'll include the HDfury linker (which I don't know a ton about), which I think is pretty crucial for maintaining the dynamic iris for HDR content.
Hi, the linker is a small HDMI device that goes inline, right before the projector. the setup would look like this:

Source (UHD Player/Apple 4K TV/Nvidia Shield) -> AVR-> Linker -> Projector. There is no further configuration of the linker necessary, it's set it and forget it.

That setup he is selling is a nice kit for the price and low hours. for reference on native contrast, Epson is ~6K:1 vs. the JVC ~35K:1.
Mocs123 and Brandon Smith like this.
post #16 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, the linker is a small HDMI device that goes inline, right before the projector. the setup would look like this:

Source (UHD Player/Apple 4K TV/Nvidia Shield) -> AVR-> Linker -> Projector. There is no further configuration of the linker necessary, it's set it and forget it.

That setup he is selling is a nice kit for the price and low hours. for reference on native contrast, Epson is ~6K:1 vs. the JVC ~35K:1.
I'm talking to him right now about purchasing it . Is the Spyder 5 Express calibration device/software beneficial since he already has the custom gamma curves loaded?

Also, what's the difference between the JAVS 3 custom gamma curve calibration he references and the Chadb calibration I keep seeing referenced in the classifieds and forum posts?
post #17 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm talking to him right now about purchasing it . Is the Spyder 5 Express calibration device/software beneficial since he already has the custom gamma curves loaded?

Also, what's the difference between the JAVS 3 custom gamma curve calibration he references and the Chadb calibration I keep seeing referenced in the classifieds and forum posts?
JAVS is a well respected AVS forum member from Sydney Australia. ChadB is a professional video calibrator from Ohio with a sterling reputation for improving video quality of televisions and projectors. I would personally take the previously owned ChadB calibrated JVC projector if I could match it up with my own throw distance, screen material and room conditions. JVC projectors tend to suffer from gamma droop every couple of hundred hours which is easily corrected. That is where the Spyder 5 could be beneficial. This is a good article about why gamma is important.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-ga...ould-you-care/

post #18 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 10436
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

I think the JVC has the much better HDR implementation. HDR stands for high dynamic range and the dynamic range on the JVC is better. Couple that with dynamic tone mapping, where you put it in auto and do no adjustment and the advantage farther goes to the JVC. Epson does a decent job on HDR, but it is not to JVC's level yet.
post #19 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I think the JVC has the much better HDR implementation. HDR stands for high dynamic range and the dynamic range on the JVC is better. Couple that with dynamic tone mapping, where you put it in auto and do no adjustment and the advantage farther goes to the JVC. Epson does a decent job on HDR, but it is not to JVC's level yet.
Agree 100% with you regarding the current Epson 5050/6050 and the true JVC 4K projectors.

We were comparing the HDR performance out of the box between the 5050 and the older JVC 570. My impressions were it was easier to obtain great HDR from the 5050 than the JVC 570. Custom curves could be used for the 570 to match or best the HDR of the 5050, but would require some effort and knowledge. I am curious as to your thoughts on HDR performance between the 5050 and the 570.

The dynamic tone mapping firmware update for the current lineup of JVC true 4k projectors really has put them at the head of the class for HDR performance and overall performance from projectors under $20k IMHO.

post #20 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Hi, I would recommend picking up the Spyder 5, he is selling it for a good price. On occasion, you can run the freely provided JVC autocal software and use the Spyder5 to calibrate the gamma on the JVC's which can shift a bit over time. it's a simple process and can provide details on how it works.

A custom HDR curve can be set up by a calibrator for the unique projector, viewing preferences etc. The custom curves pre-loaded on that projector are a great baseline and have used them on my JVC's.

If you go forward with the kit, send me a PM and I can help you get it set up.
post #21 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any go to ceiling mounts that work well for the JVC's? I'm going to be mounting mine to an angled (vaulted) ceiling.

I was considering this from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/QualGear-QG-K...6&sr=8-17&th=1
post #22 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Are there any go to ceiling mounts that work well for the JVC's? I'm going to be mounting mine to an angled (vaulted) ceiling.
Chief is better. I've used this - works great - https://www.legrandav.com/products/c.../plates/cma395

And the mount - https://www.legrandav.com/en/product...g/rpmx/rpma281
Brandon Smith likes this.
post #23 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Are there any less expensive models you would recommend? The cheapest I can find the mount for is $165, $48 for the angled mount, and $10 for the extension pipe I'd need.
post #24 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Are there any less expensive models you would recommend? The cheapest I can find the mount for is $165, $48 for the angled mount, and $10 for the extension pipe I'd need.
You are buying a multi thousand dollar projector, and you want to cheap out on the mount? Do you use retreads on your Ferrari ?
post #25 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was considering this from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/QualGear-QG-K...6&sr=8-17&th=1
Chief makes great mounts. The mount you listed is a good mount. We all have budgets to keep in mind.

post #26 of 42 Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You are buying a multi thousand dollar projector, and you want to cheap out on the mount? Do you use retreads on your Ferrari ?
Haha, I can understand that. I suppose I was questioning is it really worth $150 more than other options, or am I mainly paying for a "Chief" logo? Apple products come to mind, haha. Maybe it is a lot better. This will be my first projector so I don't have the perspective what's good and what's bad.
post #27 of 42 Old 11-27-2019, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Definitely get the Spyder5. I have it and use it as the bulb ages. The Autocal is simple to use. You can also do color calibration with the Spyder and autocal. However, not all Spyders do color well (some 5s are better than other so its hit and miss). I also have an i1 Display Pro and Calman as a second check and I don't need to adjust after Auocal.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
post #28 of 42 Old 11-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
Chief is just a really, really rock solid mount with no drifting, vibrating, etc. Being using the RPMA for five years now.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #29 of 42 Old 11-27-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I purchased the chief mount from Craig
Mocs123 likes this.
post #30 of 42 Old 11-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 10436
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Agree 100% with you regarding the current Epson 5050/6050 and the true JVC 4K projectors.

We were comparing the HDR performance out of the box between the 5050 and the older JVC 570. My impressions were it was easier to obtain great HDR from the 5050 than the JVC 570. Custom curves could be used for the 570 to match or best the HDR of the 5050, but would require some effort and knowledge. I am curious as to your thoughts on HDR performance between the 5050 and the 570.

The dynamic tone mapping firmware update for the current lineup of JVC true 4k projectors really has put them at the head of the class for HDR performance and overall performance from projectors under $20k IMHO.

In that case, the HDR will be more plug and play. You are just giving up contrast for SDR and HDR content to get this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page