• 2 Post By ProjectorTime

post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Upgrade from Sony Ruby

OK - Upgrade time.

I have a Sony Ruby VW50 from way back in 2007! The current bulb is starting to show noticeable dimness, so why not upgrade versus replacing the bulb again.

I just placed an order for a new Sony 45ES but I am having second thoughts. Will the 45ES be a significant improvement over the old Ruby with a new bulb?

Should I change my order to the Sony 295ES and go straight to 4K? How much better will this be over the 45ES? My room is a dedicated home theater but no a bat cave. Watch mostly movies streaming plus HD sports.

What would you recommend? Thanks for your help - need to decide today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ooops!

My current projector to a Sony Pearl VW50 projector (not Ruby).
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectorTime View Post
OK - Upgrade time.

I have a Sony Ruby VW50 from way back in 2007! The current bulb is starting to show noticeable dimness, so why not upgrade versus replacing the bulb again.

I just placed an order for a new Sony 45ES but I am having second thoughts. Will the 45ES be a significant improvement over the old Ruby with a new bulb?

Should I change my order to the Sony 295ES and go straight to 4K? How much better will this be over the 45ES? My room is a dedicated home theater but no a bat cave. Watch mostly movies streaming plus HD sports.

I'd jump to the VW295ES. Sony has a $500.00 off instant rebate right now, so your timing is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
I would go to the NX5/RS1000 even if it's a little more. Offers a lot more value than the 295.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'll second the suggestions above. The Pearl was a nice projector and although the 45 might be an improvement, since you keep a projector a long time, I'd go with a native 4K panel like the 295 or NX5. The NX5 is the better projector and there are rumors floating around of EXCELLENT prices on B-Stock units.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #6 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
OK - Upgrade time.

If you want to stay with 1080 then I would consider the 65ES. Has better contrast, dynamic iris etc. The 45 does not have any dynamic contrast systems at all.

The processing on the 45 or 65 will be much better than the 50 and even with no iris the native contrast of the 45 will improve upon the 50 a lot!

If you do keep them for many years as you would seem to do, then maybe a jump to the 295 would be the way to go for you. It will easily surpass what you are used to with the 50 by several orders of magnitude.

The 50 has 800 lumens at most and the 295 is 1500. Not to mention the improved panels and 4k HDR loveliness .

Have fun deciding!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 10436
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
OK - Upgrade time.

For long time purchase, I would recommend the RS1000 or VW295. Much better long term choice than the 1080P options you were considering.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Is there actually B-stock JVC N7 ? If so that would be the best option for someone who doesnt upgrade more often, best combination of contrast/brightness/4k clarity and all features u expect from high end projectors.
Now if there is no B-stock than it might be overbudget.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #9 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
The processing on the 45 or 65 will be much better than the 50 and even with no iris the native contrast of the 45 will improve upon the 50 a lot!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I decided to keep my order for the Sony 45ES. And so far I an very pleased.

As noted above by @Archibald1 , the native contrast is much better vs my Pearl - and it has significantly more lumens. The result is a much brighter and punchier image. Add in better video processing and it all results in a nice upgrade.

Another big benefit was ease of installation. The new Sony fit my current projector mount with no adjustments and was up in minutes. All I had to do was adjust the zoom and focus. My current universal remote didn’t even have to be reprogrammed.

So for me 4K can wait until more programming is available. The new 45ES cost me $1500 and represents one of the best bargains I have experienced in home theater. I will probably give it to one of my kids when I eventually go 4K.
Archibald1 and Mocs123 like this.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Is there actually B-stock JVC N7 ? If so that would be the best option for someone who doesnt upgrade more often, best combination of contrast/brightness/4k clarity and all features u expect from high end projectors.
Now if there is no B-stock than it might be overbudget.
The problem is B-stock are often worse convergence, so if you are focusing on 4k that means you are generally putting sharpness as the most important attribute.
Now I know this isn't purely the case, and NOT all B-stocks have worse convergence, but I mean on average, you're taking at least a 25% more gamble and probably even 50% higher chance that a B-stock has worse convergence or lens issue. However, with a good return policy, then you cannot go wrong either with this choice.

I liked both the Optoma UHD50/51a (or UHD60/65) and the Viewsonic 727-4k as budget DLP projectors for holdovers for those that are like ME and want to wait to see if Epson releases a Native 4k LCD panel.
Lamp ratings are mostly baloney, so how long the lamps last mainly depends on how bright they start out (unless there are reliability issues).
The Benq ht9060 is probably the best one still though, if you can get a refurb deal, but a little pricey for a "holdout" projector.

I am interested to see if Epson releases a Native 4k simply because of the brightness and cheaper lamps and lamp longevity, since it seems JVC might take forever to release a Laser or LED projector at a decent price.
However, I am scared of Epson's reliability record, but I would make sure I had an extra warranty if I eventually go that route.

I'd prefer a JVC honestly, but the current prices of their 4k units, their lamp prices, and no torch mode is turning me off a bit.
Unless it changes over the next few years.

I'm going to grab the Optoma to hold me over most likely until JVC or Epson come out with something different.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #11 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 10436
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The problem is B-stock are often worse convergence, so if you are focusing on 4k that means you are generally putting sharpness as the most important attribute.
Now I know this isn't purely the case, and NOT all B-stocks have worse convergence, but I mean on average, you're taking at least a 25% more gamble and probably even 50% higher chance that a B-stock has worse convergence or lens issue. However, with a good return policy, then you cannot go wrong either with this choice.

I liked both the Optoma UHD50/51a (or UHD60/65) and the Viewsonic 727-4k as budget DLP projectors for holdovers for those that are like ME and want to wait to see if Epson releases a Native 4k LCD panel.
Lamp ratings are mostly baloney, so how long the lamps last mainly depends on how bright they start out (unless there are reliability issues).
The Benq ht9060 is probably the best one still though, if you can get a refurb deal, but a little pricey for a "holdout" projector.

I am interested to see if Epson releases a Native 4k simply because of the brightness and cheaper lamps and lamp longevity, since it seems JVC might take forever to release a Laser or LED projector at a decent price.
However, I am scared of Epson's reliability record, but I would make sure I had an extra warranty if I eventually go that route.

I'd prefer a JVC honestly, but the current prices of their 4k units, their lamp prices, and no torch mode is turning me off a bit.
Unless it changes over the next few years.

I'm going to grab the Optoma to hold me over most likely until JVC or Epson come out with something different.
We have inspected 100's of these and this is not true. I would say 99% of the time the reason a projector was sent back, was not for convergence. We find the convergence on B-stock to be pretty much the same as A-stock.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:39 PM

I've looked at several B-stocks at dealers, and I saw worse convergence several times. This was on the older RS-5x/6x line, but seemed like a pattern.
We know it's absolutely true with Epson as well, heck happens daily on their refurbs.
It was also much worse with the old Sony's, getting a Sony B-stock was really high chance of a convergence issue, happened to me with a Sony before.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM

I will say this though, haven't really seen all that many people complain about JVC convergence in the forums on B-stocks, so maybe not common with JVC.
It is really common with other projectors though when talking refurbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page