Recommended 3D settings for RS540/X790r? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommended 3D settings for RS540/X790r?

Hey guys,

I’ve read through the first 100+ pages of the owner’s thread, but I haven’t been able to find any 3D settings recommendations for the RS540. Trying to calibrate off of movies is frustrating, and I’m not sure where to get a 3D test pattern.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Also, just some helpful info for anyone in the same boat, if you happen to have an external RF emitter from another projector, it may well work with the JVC Rs540. My Xpand AD025-RF-X1-R1 module works perfectly, along with my cheapo Samsung Rf glasses, so no need to spend $270 or whatever for the official JVC glasses + emitter.

Last edited by filmgeek47; 11-27-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Important to get the right 3D glasses for these projectors if you screen reflects a lot of polarised light. There is a thread here about it called best 3D glasses for JVC projectors. The 3D image can be excessively dark if there is a mismatch with the orientation.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
H Filmgeek. I am considering this projector as well as TW9400. I come from a sony HW50es.

How would you rate the 3D on the X790? Is it bright. My HW50es sony had great depth, but it lacked brightness in 3D mode. Always felt a bit dim and if it was 25percent brighter it would be considered IMO superb. How would you describe the x790s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
H Filmgeek. I am considering this projector as well as TW9400. I come from a sony HW50es.

How would you rate the 3D on the X790? Is it bright. My HW50es sony had great depth, but it lacked brightness in 3D mode. Always felt a bit dim and if it was 25percent brighter it would be considered IMO superb. How would you describe the x790s?
Blown away so far. Only watched one full movie (World War Z). Also popped in the first 10 minutes of Avatar, and had to wrench myself away from it for the evening, but it was truly stunning.

Biggest improvement for me is no noticeable crosstalk, along with the much higher native contrast makes the 3D effect both more natural and more impactful.

RE brightness, it's hard for me to assess because I don't have my HW40es anymore for a side by side comparison. I'm also not sure how much brighter your HW50es was vs my 40. It's definitely brighter than mine was, but you'll want to run high lamp. I'm also in a fully light controlled room, 120" 1.1. gain screen at about 13' throw, so I'm in pretty much ideal conditions. I will say, with high lamp on, the picture was blowing out a bit, and I was able to crank down on the manual iris in 3D mode without any noticeable dimness, so for me at least, there's some headroom on the 3D light output.

My main issue with the 3D right now is that the factory settings for color/gamma are a bit wacky (possibly because I'm not using the JVC brand glasses). Not unwatchable by any means, but noticeably worse than the very solid 2D factory presets. I had a crack at calibrating yesterday with a Disney wow disc in 2d>3d mode from my blu-ray player, but the results washed out the image significantly, so I think I screwed up a setting somewhere. I'm confident it'll be easily fixed with some trial and error, but there's a ton of color management settings on this and I'm a calibrating novice, so it's a bit of a process for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page