Best Hi-End 3D Projector (Stereo 3D Only) Top list. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brajesh
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Red face Best Hi-End 3D Projector (Stereo 3D Only) Top list - Your Help Requested.

Hi. ive spent this whole week reading and searching hundred of pages of website and this forums and cant seem to get a definitive answer.

For under £6000 GBP.

Please help me narrow down a top list of projectors that give the best 3D movie experience & low lag gaming (Dec 2019). Im sure its going to help others a lot.

So far ive deduced it could be the following (best at top worst bottom).

1. JVC X790. 23ms. Great Blacks, Bright, 2100 lumins also transfers to 3D movies?

2. Epson TW9400. 28ms. Cheaper. Blacks nowhere as good, 2500 Lumins gives brightest 3D mode of my shortlist?

3. JVC N5. 40ms? Not as good blacks as x790? 1800lumin so may have the least bright 3D of all the above.

4. Sony 270es. 40ms. 1500 lumin. Least bright 3D. Same brightness as my current HW50es.

Is my homework work correct?

I understand both apart from N5 are not true 4K but at least they have eshift which is better than 1080p outside of 3D mode.

Last edited by 3DMamper; 12-01-2019 at 10:27 AM.
3DMamper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
There is a significant light loss in 3D mode for all projectors, the JVC is fairly bright for 3D, only the Epson 5040/5050 would be brighter I think in certain modes for 3D.

I don't know Euro prices, but most say the NX-5 has the best image, even if the contrast isn't as high as the X790.
However, you have to decide for yourself if the extra cost of the NX-5 is worth it, no-one can decide for you.

I am not a big fan of Sony or Epson due to past reliability issues, and every year people will claim it's fixed, but then every year we see the same problems over and over again.
So JVC by a long shot IMO, the only projectors as reliable as JVC are DLP projectors.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Hi. ive spent this whole week reading and searching hundred of pages of website and this forums and cant seem to get a definitive answer.

For under £6000 GBP.

Please help me narrow down a top list of projectors that give the best 3D movie experience & low lag gaming (Dec 2019). Im sure its going to help others a lot.

So far ive deduced it could be the following (best at top worst bottom).

1. JVC X790. 23ms. Great Blacks, Bright, 2100 lumins also transfers to 3D movies?

2. Epson TW9400. 28ms. Cheaper. Blacks nowhere as good, 2500 Lumins gives brightest 3D mode of my shortlist?

3. JVC N5. 40ms? Not as good blacks as x790? 1800lumin so may have the least bright 3D of all the above.

4. Sony 270es. 40ms. 1500 lumin. Least bright 3D. Same brightness as my current HW50es.

Is my homework work correct?

I understand both apart from N5 are not true 4K but at least they have eshift which is better than 1080p outside of 3D mode.
Since u like gaming, native 4k will make a very noticeable different at 4k resolution , for movies not so much at a reasonable viewing distance, so keep that in mind.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Since u like gaming, native 4k will make a very noticeable different at 4k resolution , for movies not so much at a reasonable viewing distance, so keep that in mind.
tnaik4, yes you are right 4k is great for gaming and i do love gaming in 4k. Which of your two projectors give you the best 3D experience JVC DLA X590/RS440, BenQ LK970? I cant seem to find a review for the LK970. How does the contrast/blacks compare to your JVC. Are you able to guess if the JVC is twice as contrasty, 3 times as etc.

I read you game on your LK970. the input lag is supposed to be 60ms?

Thank you!

Last edited by 3DMamper; 12-02-2019 at 01:38 PM.
3DMamper is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,446
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Think the best 3D experience is with DLP projectors. No ghosting or crosstalk, best depth and dimensionality.


I currently have an Optoma UHD51A, and planning to upgrade to 52ALV as it's brighter. 4K and HDR is important to me, but 3D is paramount. Also, Optoma PQ seems sharper than BenQ's. If only 4K was a consideration, I'd probably go with JVC N5 or N7.
rgrele likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Think the best 3D experience is with DLP projectors. No ghosting or crosstalk, best depth and dimensionality.


I currently have an Optoma UHD51A, and planning to upgrade to 52ALV as it's brighter. 4K and HDR is important to me, but 3D is paramount. Also, Optoma PQ seems sharper than BenQ's. If only 4K was a consideration, I'd probably go with JVC N5 or N7.
Is the 52ALV really going to be that much brighter?

Optoma 51a seems like a winner, wish they would have added a DI.
I agree, the Benq ht3550 seemed like a possible winner, but then it has sharpness issue + some other probs.

I'm not worried about 3D, but I only have 2 options unless I re-orient my HT room length-wise instead of width wise, hence short throw projector or projector with lots of lens shift (JVC or Epson).
I don't pick Epson because I have an older model JVC which I think looks better than the Epson anyhow, so no point in it. JVC so expensive...

Hope Epson releases a Native 4k LCD panel, as much as I love JVC's, I'd probably like to try something different this time around anyhow.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-02-2019 at 02:19 PM.
coderguy is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,446
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 304
UHD52ALV has 3,500 advertised lumens vs. UHD51A's 2,400 advertised. In my light-controlled room, I never found 51A's 3D picture too dim though. But, 52ALV's extra lumens will no doubt help for 3D, and as it has the 2nd gen TI .47 DLP chip, the light border around the image is minimal.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
UHD52ALV has 3,500 advertised lumens vs. UHD51A's 2,400 advertised. In my light-controlled room, I never found 51A's 3D picture too dim though. But, 52ALV's extra lumens will no doubt help for 3D, and as it has the 2nd gen TI .47 DLP chip, the light border around the image is minimal.
Edit...

I think the current asking price on that projector is too high for what you get...
Should be $900 - $1200 IMO with most of these 4k DLP's, except the real high-end or Laser ones.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.
coderguy is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
tnaik4, yes you are right 4k is great for gaming and i do love gaming in 4k. Which of your two projectors give you the best 3D experience JVC DLA X590/RS440, BenQ LK970? I cant seem to find a review for the LK970. How does the contrast/blacks compare to your JVC. Are you able to guess if the JVC is twice as contrasty, 3 times as etc.

I read you game on your LK970. the input lag is supposed to be 60ms?

Thank you!
my LK970 does not do 3d so i cant compare , for movies honestly my JVC is way better in contrast and with the latest madVR development it took it for another level, so for movies yes my RS440 is stunning and i prefer it. for dark scenes contrast will look several levels better (10x better) .

For gaming ( 4k or not ) my LK970 is in different league, way sharper/clearer and way brighter , usually games dont benefit much from good contrast , the best gaming monitors are IPS with 1000:1 contrast which is worst than the LK970 contrast. Input lag is no issue , around 45-50ms , i dont play competitive shooter but i play a lot of single player games and its excellent.

Now if i can combine both in one projector that would be my dream projector, but i doubt it can be had for less than 40k lol.

so u have to decide what is more important to u .

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Yah, a DLP looks 10% to 20% better on SOME bright scenes than a JVC (just as a rough average), but the JVC looks 98% better on dark scenes.
That's why it's a poor trade off to go pure DLP, unless the Milky Way being milky looking just doesn't bother you.

Try the Egosoft X3/X4 Foundations games, and then tell me if you still prefer your Benq for gaming :P

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Eeek the desicion gets harder and harder.

I Decided that i want to try get an JVC N5. And Found a Benq TK800 for half price so that would be a great 4k taster.
3DMamper is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Nick Laslett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Eeek the desicion gets harder and harder.

I Decided that i want to try get an JVC N5. And Found a Benq TK800 for half price so that would be a great 4k taster.
I went through this last year. In the end I just got a cheap Optoma HD39Darbee DLP for 3D duties. Watching the 144Hz refresh against the Sony HW45ES 96Hz, it was no contest. I can’t go back. But colours suck on single chip DLPs and the rainbows are annoying. The glasses kill any contrast and muck up the colours anyway. I have 51 3D titles, but I couldn’t justify spending a high amount, when most of the reasonable options have some compromise.

I will upgrade from the Sony for my main viewing, but not until 4k laser options get much cheaper. I really feel like the JVC NX cases are sized for laser and the current models are the last lamp based versions they will do.
Nick Laslett is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Not sure what you mean by colors suck on Single Chip DLP's, unless you are talking about expanded color gamuts?

I actually find the basic color and calibration on DLP's to be easier to deal with than LCOS or a JVC. Not sure about your Optoma.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off