JV Rs600 vs nx7 should i upgrade? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blee0120
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 2
JV Rs600 vs nx7 should i upgrade?

Hi All,

I have a rs600 theater in a shared room (not dedicated theater room) using a SI slate screen 115 inches

I am considering upgrading to a new nx7

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Worth doing and will i see a substantial improvement?

I know the rs600 is not ideal for hdr

What’s the used market value for a rs600 that has very low hours..probably around 300 hours.

Thanks for the help
Larryfl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Among many improvements it's a game changer for HDR. So if you want the best HDR performance it is definitely worth upgrading to.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,709
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryfl View Post
What’s the used market value for a rs600 that has very low hours..probably around 300 hours.

Thanks for the help
$2,500 to $3,999 was the range I've generally seen, but don't trust that, research it.
I didn't see many in the classifieds here in the forums lately, so not sure.

You might have better luck if you are one of the few that is selling it.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Danonano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryfl View Post
I am considering upgrading to a new nx7


I know the rs600 is not ideal for hdr
The main reason to upgrade would be for the new 'Dynamic Tone Mapping' or DTM, which makes HDR work for these projectors. 4K/HDR is a good upgrade from Blu-Ray once it's tone mapped correctly.
Danonano is online now  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
invadergir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I just upgraded about 2 weeks ago from the JVC 950 (same as the rs600) to the NX7. The big selling point for me was the new HDR Tone Mapping update. I liked my 950 but could never find the sweet spot for all my movies. This new update is pretty amazing with the hdr, colours look good but you did loose a bit on the blacks. I put in a few of my uhd movies in to see if I notice a big difference and some almost seem night in day because of how well this new update works. I’m just trying to find a place to unload my old 950 to get some money towards this new projector

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC NX7 4K Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Sony 55X900F 4K/Dolby Vision , Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
invadergir is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
The main reason to upgrade would be for the new 'Dynamic Tone Mapping' or DTM, which makes HDR work for these projectors. 4K/HDR is a good upgrade from Blu-Ray once it's tone mapped correctly.
There are many benefits besides DTM. You can get DTM in other devices. The clarity and sharpness that comes with these native 4k models are great. However, seeing one may be the best determining factor. I had the rs520 and my rs2000 is worth the upgrade.
Mike Garrett likes this.
blee0120 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Danonano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
There are many benefits besides DTM. You can get DTM in other devices. The clarity and sharpness that comes with these native 4k models are great. However, seeing one may be the best determining factor. I had the rs520 and my rs2000 is worth the upgrade.

Only the JVC, Lumagen, and MadVr offer DTM. Hopefully in a years time it will be a different story with more options.
Danonano is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 12-18-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
Only the JVC, Lumagen, and MadVr offer DTM. Hopefully in a years time it will be a different story with more options.
Oppo uses DTM as well. It will cost a lot to upgrade from the rs600. MadVR is the cheapest and best at HDR. However, it's not plug and play, but is it amazing. The days of watching dim HDR is over.
blee0120 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 12-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Danonano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Oppo uses DTM as well. It will cost a lot to upgrade from the rs600. MadVR is the cheapest and best at HDR. However, it's not plug and play, but is it amazing. The days of watching dim HDR is over.


Oppo and Panasonic have tone mapping, but not dynamic tone mapping. I sure wish they did.

I do agree that MadVr is amazing. I find that HDR on an OLED is a bit garrish, but on a projector with MadVr it just looks cinematic!
Danonano is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
Oppo and Panasonic have tone mapping, but not dynamic tone mapping. I sure wish they did.

I do agree that MadVr is amazing. I find that HDR on an OLED is a bit garrish, but on a projector with MadVr it just looks cinematic!
The oppo 203 has DTM.
blee0120 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 12-19-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,786
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
The oppo 203 has DTM.
The oppo does not have dynamic tone mapping. Sorry. No player does. The oppo 203 has a static tone mapping that is selected based on disc meta. This is an improvement over the standard curves. But its a *far* ways away from dynamic tone mapping. Read up on what dynamic tone mapping is and does.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 12-19-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The oppo does not have dynamic tone mapping. Sorry. No player does. The oppo 203 has a static tone mapping that is selected based on disc meta. This is an improvement over the standard curves. But its a *far* ways away from dynamic tone mapping. Read up on what dynamic tone mapping is and does.
Why would I need to read up on DTM? It's been confirmed over a year ago. Even Madshi acknowledged it a few times in the Envy thread.
blee0120 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 12-19-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,786
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Why would I need to read up on DTM? It's been confirmed over a year ago. Even Madshi acknowledged it a few times in the Envy thread.
Because the oppo does not have dynamic tone mapping so I assume you need to read up to understand better. No one else is claiming it has this feature. Go ahead and paste a link to the feature and when it was added. I guess you can always keep arguing as when you discover your mistake it makes you look better for it
markmon1 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Because the oppo does not have dynamic tone mapping so I assume you need to read up to understand better. No one else is claiming it has this feature. Go ahead and paste a link to the feature and when it was added. I guess you can always keep arguing as when you discover your mistake it makes you look better for it

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-26.html

Post 751 and 761. If you still think you are right, then you might think you know more than Madshi 🤣🤣🤣
blee0120 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Because the oppo does not have dynamic tone mapping so I assume you need to read up to understand better. No one else is claiming it has this feature. Go ahead and paste a link to the feature and when it was added. I guess you can always keep arguing as when you discover your mistake it makes you look better for it
No response?
blee0120 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,786
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-26.html

Post 751 and 761. If you still think you are right, then you might think you know more than Madshi 🤣🤣🤣
I'm sorry for not responding quickly. This post hasn't been at the top of the new posts list recently. But I do see where madshi said that the oppo has dynamic tone mapping so I guess that's where you're getting your data. I still don't believe it does. In fact, I've never seen anyone ever claim that before posts 751 and 761. I realize madshi is in a position to know this stuff. I plan to research it a bit more. I still think its not true.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm sorry for not responding quickly. This post hasn't been at the top of the new posts list recently. But I do see where madshi said that the oppo has dynamic tone mapping so I guess that's where you're getting your data. I still don't believe it does. In fact, I've never seen anyone ever claim that before posts 751 and 761. I realize madshi is in a position to know this stuff. I plan to research it a bit more. I still think its not true.
I actually owned the Oppo 203 and it was a common topic over a year ago. I just added Madshi comments because I was thinking that someone who has no knowledge about it would listen to him at least. If you have one,throw up some test patterns 😉. There were short comings of it, which resulted in the WCG not being utilized but Rec 709 worked well. Since it was not able to be fixed, we resulted back to our curves.
blee0120 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,786
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I actually owned the Oppo 203 and it was a common topic over a year ago. I just added Madshi comments because I was thinking that someone who has no knowledge about it would listen to him at least. If you have one,throw up some test patterns 😉. There were short comings of it, which resulted in the WCG not being utilized but Rec 709 worked well. Since it was not able to be fixed, we resulted back to our curves.
I remember the discussion of this back when it came out. And at the time madVR wasn't even doing frame by frame tone mapping yet. The way I remember it was that the tone mapping was done by loading the meta info off the disk and adjusting the curve. Then panasonic came out and did the same thing and people seemed to think it looked a little better. Do you have any data (maybe from Oppo or anyone) that it actually measures each frame or scene and adjusts scene by scene or frame by frame and ignores meta?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I remember the discussion of this back when it came out. And at the time madVR wasn't even doing frame by frame tone mapping yet. The way I remember it was that the tone mapping was done by loading the meta info off the disk and adjusting the curve. Then panasonic came out and did the same thing and people seemed to think it looked a little better. Do you have any data (maybe from Oppo or anyone) that it actually measures each frame or scene and adjusts scene by scene or frame by frame and ignores meta?
Now you remember? I really have no desire to research that. Why would I do that research to further prove you incorrect? I'm sure you can easily search for it. I just wanted to inform you that you came off as a know it all when you didn't know what you was talking about 🤣🤣🤣.
blee0120 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,786
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Now you remember? I really have no desire to research that. Why would I do that research to further prove you incorrect? I'm sure you can easily search for it. I just wanted to inform you that you came off as a know it all when you didn't know what you was talking about 🤣🤣🤣.
I told you above, I'm going to research it. You dont need to do anything. I don't think it actually is doing frame by frame measurements but plan to research it when I get more time. I remember the discussion and it wasn't about dynamic tone mapping back then. It also doesn't perform like a device that is doing any sort of dynamic tone mapping.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mariob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Holbrook, Ma
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I actually owned the Oppo 203 and it was a common topic over a year ago. I just added Madshi comments because I was thinking that someone who has no knowledge about it would listen to him at least. If you have one,throw up some test patterns 😉. There were short comings of it, which resulted in the WCG not being utilized but Rec 709 worked well. Since it was not able to be fixed, we resulted back to our curves.
You sure Madshi wasnt possibly seeing the brightness changing due to having the ability to set a target luminescence in the oppo and it would statically map to that target. I see this no different than the panasonic and its 300/500 curves. I do not ever recall it being proven that there was a FBF or SBS type of true dtm system going on nor it ever being discussed prior to his one comment you mention. Never saw any of the oppo insiders confirm this either. Happy to be proven wrong as i have an oppo somewhere.

In search of video bliss...
mariob33 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off