Anyone Using a Hushbox with a JVC projector? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked: 10632
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
Finally finished the box today.

Came out pretty well. The good news is that the box has eliminated the e-shift buzz and DI sounds, and the high lamp mode is now far less loud. The bad news is the low lamp configuration with the hush box is actually slightly louder than before, owning to the volume of the dual AC Infinity fan, on the bottom. I’m running the fans on the lowest speed plugged into an iPhone power brick to further lower the RPM’s, but they still seem quite a bit louder than the single fan versions I’m using for exhaust.

The box is definitely a noticeable improvement overall, but still loud enough that I notice it in quiet scenes.

Any ideas? I’m contemplating swapping out the AC finity dual fans for noctua PC fans which have a reputation for being very quiet, but I haven’t found too many people comparing them to AC infinity’s offerings.
If the projector sound from the exit fans is still loud, you have the width to add boxes on each side, making a tunnel, so that the exhaust air travels through it and then exits. Insulate the tunnels would help. You could also duct the exhaust up into attic, connect two exhausts to one 6" insulated duct install inline exhaust fan in attic and route the air into another room of you house.
m0j0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Sorry, I missed your question. I do use glass from Edmund Optics and it really doesn't do anything to the light output, but does definitely help to keep the fan noise isolated. You should definitely consider it. I kept all my fans on the top of the box to help reduce noise, but looks like your box goes to the ceiling so probably not an option for you.
If glass port is used, be sure and place it at a slight angle, so that light hitting the glass is not reflected straight back into the projector. Glass should be angled about 7 degrees.
ScottAvery and m0j0 like this.
post #33 of 42 Old 01-11-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and swapped in some PC fans with a standalone 12V power supply, and the noise is MUCH better. Quick question though on airflow. The fans I'm running seem to add up to ample CFM (I swapped out the intakes for two PC fans that have about 33CFM each). I assume if I stick my hand in the box around the intake area, if it's staying cool that means I'm good to go, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and swapped in some PC fans with a standalone 12V power supply, and the noise is MUCH better. Quick question though on airflow. The fans I'm running seem to add up to ample CFM (I swapped out the intakes for two PC fans that have about 33CFM each). I assume if I stick my hand in the box around the intake area, if it's staying cool that means I'm good to go, right?
It will always be cool at the intake, if the room is cool. That does not mean enough air is flowing through the projector. Though it sounds like you should be in good shape on the intake, since high lamp needs 25.1CFM.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-11-2020 at 07:40 PM.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It will always be cool at the intake, if the room is cool. That does not mean enough air is flowing through the projector. Though it sounds like you should be in good shape on the intake, since high lamp needs 25.1CFM.
Thanks Mike. The tricky thing is that I'm using the speed controls on the exhaust fans to drop them down to "low" as the higher speed settings are pretty loud. I can't find a CFM rating for the lower RPM settings, so I'm flying a bit blind on whether or not the exhaust airflow is sufficient. I'm guessing I'm close, as the fans are rated for 51 CFM at full speed, and for either given exhaust I'd only need a max of 19.2 (we've got central air, so ambient will never exceed 32C.

Are there any practical tests or things for me to look for to ensure it's getting sufficient airflow? Will it power off if it overheats?
post #36 of 42 Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
If the projector sound from the exit fans is still loud, you have the width to add boxes on each side, making a tunnel, so that the exhaust air travels through it and then exits. Insulate the tunnels would help. You could also duct the exhaust up into attic, connect two exhausts to one 6" insulated duct install inline exhaust fan in attic and route the air into another room of you house.
Agree with Mike, here. Hush boxes for the hush box. Having an expansion area in the vent path is the same effect as a gun silencer. I can't recall the name of the design, but the sound proofing company that sells whisper clips and similar has examples of it. You could ask in the dedicated build forum and get quick answers if Google isn't enough.
post #37 of 42 Old 01-14-2020, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have been working on my hush box for a while.

I did a ton of research, and this was the best fans and quietest. 120cfm at 30db. https://www.acinfinity.com/home-vent...r-ip-44-rated/

I got 1 for pushing air into the back of the projector so it's ingesting cooler air. Best part is it's got a thermostat trigger, I have the sensor in front of the projector where it exhaust set at 80, so when i turn on the projector within about a min the fan turns on, and setting at about 7 it's pretty quiet.

I then built the chamber so that the hot air on the front of the projector is expelled out the house using a 2nd identical fan, i set that one at 10 so it makes sure hot air isn't circulating and the projector never is pulling hot air into itself, on the outside of the house it's just a simple exhaust cover with angled slats so that rain can't get in, with a little mesh for bugs etc.

The box was mdf, and inside i layered it with some sound dampening material. i tried both this
https://www.quietpcusa.com/AcoustiPa...tion-P437.aspx
and this
https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/f...p/mel_comp.htm

this worked pretty well but the box it was lined in was just particle board and semi taped together, not glued. i'm going to rebuild the box and maybe use a different material for the box as well
i'm researching possibly using this to build the box with
https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/s...soundbreak.htm
post #38 of 42 Old 01-14-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I did a ton of research, and this was the best fans and quietest. 120cfm at 30db. https://www.acinfinity.com/home-vent...r-ip-44-rated/

I got 1 for pushing air into the back of the projector so it's ingesting cooler air. Best part is it's got a thermostat trigger, I have the sensor in front of the projector where it exhaust set at 80, so when i turn on the projector within about a min the fan turns on, and setting at about 7 it's pretty quiet.

I then built the chamber so that the hot air on the front of the projector is expelled out the house using a 2nd identical fan, i set that one at 10 so it makes sure hot air isn't circulating and the projector never is pulling hot air into itself, on the outside of the house it's just a simple exhaust cover with angled slats so that rain can't get in, with a little mesh for bugs etc.

The box was mdf, and inside i layered it with some sound dampening material. i tried both this
and this

this worked pretty well but the box it was lined in was just particle board and semi taped together, not glued. i'm going to rebuild the box and maybe use a different material for the box as well
Sounds good. Please post pictures of the detail of your box.
post #39 of 42 Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
If glass port is used, be sure and place it at a slight angle, so that light hitting the glass is not reflected straight back into the projector. Glass should be angled about 7 degrees.
I had been planning to leave the front of my enclosure open because of the A-Lens slide. I was just going to have the A-lens protrude so I don't have to extend the box too far forward, or too far down, as headroom is an issue. I am now reconsidering for aesthetics. If I were to use glass, what would be the best way to position it? It's an ISCO3L with a horizontal slide (Runco McKinley kit). Projector will be well above top of screen, so the A-lens is aimed down.
post #40 of 42 Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

and this

For what it’s worth, I’ve been much happier with high quality PC fans over the ac Infinity stuff. Not that the AC Infinity were bad, but they were outputting far more CFM than I needed for my box, whereas the Noctua NF-S12A ULN fans I’m using now are designed for low RPM super low noise, and are essentially inaudible even with them right above and behind my head. This is comparing the ac fans on their low power setting to the noctua at full power.

Note that the AC infinity fans work off of USB, whereas the noctua require buying a standalone 12v molex power supply.

For triggering, I’m turning my system on and off using the 12V trigger port on the projector. Cut a 12v trigger cable in half, and feed the cut end into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works really well.
post #41 of 42 Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
For what it’s worth, I’ve been much happier with high quality PC fans over the ac Infinity stuff. Not that the AC Infinity were bad, but they were outputting far more CFM than I needed for my box, whereas the Noctua NF-S12A ULN fans I’m using now are designed for low RPM super low noise, and are essentially inaudible even with them right above and behind my head. This is comparing the ac fans on their low power setting to the noctua at full power.

Note that the AC infinity fans work off of USB, whereas the noctua require buying a standalone 12v molex power supply.

For triggering, I’m turning my system on and off using the 12V trigger port on the projector. Cut a 12v trigger cable in half, and feed the cut end into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works really well.
When I had my RS4500, I installed one of these: https://www.build.com/panasonic-fv-0...83?uid=3499490 right above my projector. I used a 12 volt powered relay to turn it off and on, using the 12 volt trigger on the projector. The fan routes air to another room of my home, rather than outside. If routed outside, you put your house in negative pressure. I use it on medium setting and it is nearly silent. I am now using it with my RS3000.
post #42 of 42 Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I built mine out of 3/4" MDF and other than the rear intake fan wall and the exhaust fans into the attic it is sealed with 1/8" foam tape on all seams. Front port window is 15-degrees for the Edmunds glass.

I did have to re-design my anamorphic lens sled mount so the last picture shows the latest interior (without the lens installed yet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2671006   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2671008   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	15