Anyone Using a Hushbox with a JVC projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone Using a Hushbox with a JVC projector?

Loving my RS540, but the noise level is a bit higher than the Sony I came from. I stumbled onto some threads about hush boxes, but I'd rather deal with noise than risk overheating my new baby :-) I'm particularly concerned just because the JVCs are so large relative to the projector/hushbox setups I've seen.

Is anyone doing this, and if so, any recommendations on a build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
Loving my RS540, but the noise level is a bit higher than the Sony I came from. I stumbled onto some threads about hush boxes, but I'd rather deal with noise than risk overheating my new baby :-) I'm particularly concerned just because the JVCs are so large relative to the projector/hushbox setups I've seen.

Is anyone doing this, and if so, any recommendations on a build?
Use fans to keep it cool, and you won't have a problem. Try these - https://www.acinfinity.com/
post #3 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I also was curious about this. I'm sure someone has a build you could copy on the forum.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Use fans to keep it cool, and you won't have a problem. Try these - https://www.acinfinity.com/
Thanks Craig.

A couple of questions. Do you have a glass plate between your projector and the screen, and if so, are there any requirements for the type of glass? I’ve never really understood the whole light/polarity concept, but I’m assuming throwing the right glass between the lens and the screen won’t affect 3D etc?

Also, is there a way to have the fan system only kick on when the projector’s running or does it blow 24-7? We’ve recently gone solar on our house so we’re trying to be energy conscious where possible.
post #5 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13042 Post(s)
Liked: 10679
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Charlie, I will see if I can get you some air flow numbers. Will email them to you if I get anything.
post #6 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Craig.

A couple of questions. Do you have a glass plate between your projector and the screen, and if so, are there any requirements for the type of glass? I’ve never really understood the whole light/polarity concept, but I’m assuming throwing the right glass between the lens and the screen won’t affect 3D etc?

Also, is there a way to have the fan system only kick on when the projector’s running or does it blow 24-7? We’ve recently gone solar on our house so we’re trying to be energy conscious where possible.
I don't really believe port glass is needed. I've never used it. Usually MDF muffles the sound enough. Here is a way old school early hush box I built with two projectors - an NEC HT1000 and an Optoma H79 ! 2007 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig's 2nd home theater (6).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2652602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig's 2nd home theater (2).png
Views:	137
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	2652604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig's 2nd home theater (1).png
Views:	143
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	2652606  
post #7 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike!

Craig, those photos you posted are more or less what I was picturing. My room is pretty small, and my projector is mounted on the ceiling about a foot behind my listening/viewing position. I’m thinking an MDF box like what you’ve pictured there but with a couple of low flow fans mounted in the sides for airflow, and a removable bottom piece for lamp changes etc. I’ve seen some images where people line the box with absorbing foam, but I’d worry about heat issues with that. Probably comes down to how much air I need and what size fans I’d mount in the box.

Any guidance on how much clearance to give the projector? My room’s only about 12x15, so I’m hoping I can keep the box somewhat small for the sake of keeping my wife happy!
post #8 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike!

Craig, those photos you posted are more or less what I was picturing. My room is pretty small, and my projector is mounted on the ceiling about a foot behind my listening/viewing position. I’m thinking an MDF box like what you’ve pictured there but with a couple of low flow fans mounted in the sides for airflow, and a removable bottom piece for lamp changes etc. I’ve seen some images where people line the box with absorbing foam, but I’d worry about heat issues with that. Probably comes down to how much air I need and what size fans I’d mount in the box.

Any guidance on how much clearance to give the projector? My room’s only about 12x15, so I’m hoping I can keep the box somewhat small for the sake of keeping my wife happy!
If I can get the air flow numbers, then you just need to supply and exhaust that much air into and out of the box and keep intake and exhaust air seperate.
post #9 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Would using noctua fans to circulate the air be viable?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike!

You don't need much clearance top and bottom, but you do need room in the back for fresh air and cables, and some room in front for exhaust.

Mojo's hush box - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...l#post58691202

I currently have a projector closet ( see my theater photos ).
giomania and m0j0 like this.
post #11 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 PM

If your hush box is small, I would probably use some foam to seal around the projector in the middle, so that hot exhaust air could not get recirculated back to the intake. Then as long as you have the correct amount of intake air and exhaust air, you will be golden. The info I sent you should allow you to build a hushbox that performs well.
post #12 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Would be very interested in a design for this as I was thinking of building my own

Marantz SR6013 DIYSG 1099s Volt 6s Dayton PA-460s Inuke 3000 MiniDSP 2x4
post #13 of 57 Old 12-11-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Guys thank you for all the info. I just got through building a motorized mask for my screen, so it’ll be a bit before I get to this. Whenever I’ve got something I’ll definitely post some photos/build info.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #14 of 57 Old 12-25-2019, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Trying to figure out details so I can move toward building this.

I’m hoping to draw up a plan for it soon, but the rough idea would be as shallow a box as possible top to bottom, with an exhaust fan in either side in front. Looking at a dual set of ac infinity 120mm fans that would output about 20CFM each on their lowest speed, which according to Mike’s info is spot on for exhaust.

A few questions...

If a cut grills/openings on the sides of the box by the back, can I get away with just using fans by the exhaust in front, on the assumption that the projector’s intake fans will pull in what they need? To please the wife I might try and fashion some sort of decorative grate over the intake area, like a small version of what you’d see on a nice HVAC air register.

These were the fans I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Mike, in terms of sealing off front to back with foam, I get why that’s necessary, but what kind of foam would you suggest for doing the job without affecting the finish of the projector? Do you mean sealant construction foam (something in the vein of expanding fire foam or caulk) or were you thinking more like soft foam like the type that’s sometimes used in packaging?

How small should the port hole be in front for the lens? I actually love the look of the projector, so in an ideal world I’d cut the hole wide enough to see the full gold trim circle around the lens, but obviously not at the expense of lots of noise getting out. The e-shift buzz can be a frustration on top of fan noise, so if that’s emerging from near the lens/sensor area I’d imagine I should just make the hole as small as possible and hide the trim?

Also, do you guys recommend something akin to mojo’s method where you use foam or foam board at an angle on either side of the lens to limit sound/air escaping through the lens opening?

Finally, I assume for remote functionality you just mount an IR blaster inside?

Happy Holidays guys!

Last edited by filmgeek47; 12-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #15 of 57 Old 12-25-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Made a few changes to my hush box if you want to check my page for updates. Might give you some more to think about.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #16 of 57 Old 12-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out details so I can move toward building this.

I’m hoping to draw up a plan for it soon, but the rough idea would be as shallow a box as possible top to bottom, with an exhaust fan in either side in front. Looking at a dual set of ac infinity 120mm fans that would output about 20CFM each on their lowest speed, which according to Mike’s info is spot on for exhaust.

A few questions...

If a cut grills/openings on the sides of the box by the back, can I get away with just using fans by the exhaust in front, on the assumption that the projector’s intake fans will pull in what they need? To please the wife I might try and fashion some sort of decorative grate over the intake area, like a small version of what you’d see on a nice HVAC air register.

These were the fans I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Mike, in terms of sealing off front to back with foam, I get why that’s necessary, but what kind of foam would you suggest for doing the job without affecting the finish of the projector? Do you mean sealant construction foam (something in the vein of expanding fire foam or caulk) or were you thinking more like soft foam like the type that’s sometimes used in packaging?

How small should the port hole be in front for the lens? I actually love the look of the projector, so in an ideal world I’d cut the hole wide enough to see the full gold trim circle around the lens, but obviously not at the expense of lots of noise getting out. The e-shift buzz can be a frustration on top of fan noise, so if that’s emerging from near the lens/sensor area I’d imagine I should just make the hole as small as possible and hide the trim?

Also, do you guys recommend something akin to mojo’s method where you use foam or foam board at an angle on either side of the lens to limit sound/air escaping through the lens opening?

Finally, I assume for remote functionality you just mount an IR blaster inside?

Happy Holidays guys!
Soft foam. I would probably duct the air off to the side rather than the front. Use deflectors would route the air toward the side. The hole for the lens does not need to be any bigger than it has to be. I would probably do:

Intake: https://www.acinfinity.com/component...ct-description

Two of these for exhaust: https://www.acinfinity.com/component...system-6-inch/ One on each side.
post #17 of 57 Old 12-26-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I really do need to put together a proper diagram. To be clear, I was planning on putting the exhaust fans on the sides, just more towards the front. I was hoping to avoid having to use ducting, as it increased the size of the overall box. Mike, are you saying that the pieces of board on either side of the lens should be enough to deflect the exhaust into the fans on either side? That would be ideal.

I’m thinking then I’d throw that double intake fan on the bottom right near the back of the box (the box will go right up against the wall). Sadly there’s no where on the other side of the room to vent out to, so all my fans will have to pull or push air back into the room, but the head output hasn’t been an issue for me.

Mojo, thanks for the heads up, I’d overlooked your update. What kind of material did you use for the deflecting board beside the lens opening? Is it just poster board? Almost looks like drywall in the photos.

Also, what about the issue of the remote IR being blocked? Do you have an IR emitter poking out, or does the hole you cut for port access allow the IR signal to bounce inside?
post #18 of 57 Old 12-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I really do need to put together a proper diagram. To be clear, I was planning on putting the exhaust fans on the sides, just more towards the front. I was hoping to avoid having to use ducting, as it increased the size of the overall box. Mike, are you saying that the pieces of board on either side of the lens should be enough to deflect the exhaust into the fans on either side? That would be ideal.

I’m thinking then I’d throw that double intake fan on the bottom right near the back of the box (the box will go right up against the wall). Sadly there’s no where on the other side of the room to vent out to, so all my fans will have to pull or push air back into the room, but the head output hasn’t been an issue for me.

Mojo, thanks for the heads up, I’d overlooked your update. What kind of material did you use for the deflecting board beside the lens opening? Is it just poster board? Almost looks like drywall in the photos.

Also, what about the issue of the remote IR being blocked? Do you have an IR emitter poking out, or does the hole you cut for port access allow the IR signal to bounce inside?
Sorry, was thinking this was for a 4500, not 540. The problem with them at the side, will be the box being very close to the exhaust vents. If you put them at the side, you are going to have to have a recess in the box for the projector lens. And you will have to make sure the recess is wide enough not to block the exit image from the A-lens. You will need an IR extender or route an IR emitter into the box, for the projector. You will also want to run a USB cable for firmware updates.
post #19 of 57 Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. What’s the alternative then? Would I just put the fans in the front on either side of the lens?

I assumed I’d want the lens somewhat recessed anyway, in the vein of what mojo did on his box. Aside from having all exhaust in the front of the projector, is there something different about his setup vs what I’m trying to achieve with my 540?
post #20 of 57 Old 12-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Gotcha. What’s the alternative then? Would I just put the fans in the front on either side of the lens?

I assumed I’d want the lens somewhat recessed anyway, in the vein of what mojo did on his box. Aside from having all exhaust in the front of the projector, is there something different about his setup vs what I’m trying to achieve with my 540?
If you recess the box for the lens, then place fans at the side. That will help reduce the projector noise. With foam blocking off the exhaust from the intake, fans on the side will be fine.
post #21 of 57 Old 12-26-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks Mike.
post #22 of 57 Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I used polystyrene foam board. The port hole with glass in front doesn't block the IR remote. I just point the remote at the screen and it works without issue.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-0-5-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #23 of 57 Old 12-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I made my closet " hush box " angled so as to not constrict the front exhaust on my RS4500. Works great. Also modified it for my DCR lens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panamorph Paladin DCR lens 4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	566.4 KB
ID:	2661160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364.CR2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	799.9 KB
ID:	2661162  
post #24 of 57 Old 01-02-2020, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

M0j0, somehow I didn’t catch that you were using glass in front of your lens. Did you do any sound tests with and without glass? I’d rather avoid it both to save cash and simply to avoid adding anything extraneous to the light path, but if it makes a huge difference I might have to consider it.

Started work on my box today. I’ll try and post some shots of the build. Planning on mounting my 2x4 frame into the ceiling joists and attaching 3/4” MDF panels all the way around, with exhaust fans on the side and intake fans on the bottom on the back edge.
post #25 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Finally finished the box today.

Came out pretty well. The good news is that the box has eliminated the e-shift buzz and DI sounds, and the high lamp mode is now far less loud. The bad news is the low lamp configuration with the hush box is actually slightly louder than before, owning to the volume of the dual AC Infinity fan, on the bottom. I’m running the fans on the lowest speed plugged into an iPhone power brick to further lower the RPM’s, but they still seem quite a bit louder than the single fan versions I’m using for exhaust.

The box is definitely a noticeable improvement overall, but still loud enough that I notice it in quiet scenes.

Any ideas? I’m contemplating swapping out the AC finity dual fans for noctua PC fans which have a reputation for being very quiet, but I haven’t found too many people comparing them to AC infinity’s offerings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2666906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2666908  
shivaji and howiee like this.
post #26 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Came out pretty well. The good news is that the box has eliminated the e-shift buzz and DI sounds, and the high lamp mode is now far less loud. The bad news is the low lamp configuration with the hush box is actually slightly louder than before, owning to the volume of the dual AC Infinity fan, on the bottom. I’️m running the fans on the lowest speed plugged into an iPhone power brick to further lower the RPM’️s, but they still seem quite a bit louder than the single fan versions I’️m using for exhaust.

The box is definitely a noticeable improvement overall, but still loud enough that I notice it in quiet scenes.

Any ideas? I’️m contemplating swapping out the AC finity dual fans for noctua PC fans which have a reputation for being very quiet, but I haven’️t found too many people comparing them to AC infinity’️s offerings.
Can you eliminate the fans completely and run an inline blower mounted in your attic? That’s what I did in a previous build and will do so again with my new build shortly. The fans you have now do not perform well under vacuum, but inline blowers are designed for it, meaning you would only need it for the exhaust, and it would suck air for you on the intake side.
post #27 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthehat85 View Post
Can you eliminate the fans completely and run an inline blower mounted in your attic? That’s what I did in a previous build and will do so again with my new build shortly. The fans you have now do not perform well under vacuum, but inline blowers are designed for it, meaning you would only need it for the exhaust, and it would suck air for you on the intake side.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I’m afraid where I live the attic air gets too hot. Fine in the winter, but in summer it can easily hit 90 degrees + in our attic, not to mention that we’ve had issues with pests.

At this point I’d say I’m 80% of the way there, so I’m crossing my fingers that different fans might get me to where I’d like it to be.
post #28 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
M0j0, somehow I didn’t catch that you were using glass in front of your lens. Did you do any sound tests with and without glass? I’d rather avoid it both to save cash and simply to avoid adding anything extraneous to the light path, but if it makes a huge difference I might have to consider it.

Started work on my box today. I’ll try and post some shots of the build. Planning on mounting my 2x4 frame into the ceiling joists and attaching 3/4” MDF panels all the way around, with exhaust fans on the side and intake fans on the bottom on the back edge.

Sorry, I missed your question. I do use glass from Edmund Optics and it really doesn't do anything to the light output, but does definitely help to keep the fan noise isolated. You should definitely consider it. I kept all my fans on the top of the box to help reduce noise, but looks like your box goes to the ceiling so probably not an option for you.
post #29 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Came out pretty well. The good news is that the box has eliminated the e-shift buzz and DI sounds, and the high lamp mode is now far less loud. The bad news is the low lamp configuration with the hush box is actually slightly louder than before, owning to the volume of the dual AC Infinity fan, on the bottom. I’m running the fans on the lowest speed plugged into an iPhone power brick to further lower the RPM’s, but they still seem quite a bit louder than the single fan versions I’m using for exhaust.

Any ideas? I’m contemplating swapping out the AC finity dual fans for noctua PC fans which have a reputation for being very quiet, but I haven’t found too many people comparing them to AC infinity’s offerings.

Your box looks great! Nice work! Maybe try covering the fans with a dryer vent sidewall cap. It could potentially reduce fan noise as well.

https://www.quill.com/primex-premium...xoCuIgQAvD_BwE
post #30 of 57 Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthehat85 View Post
I appreciate the suggestion, but I’️m afraid where I live the attic air gets too hot. Fine in the winter, but in summer it can easily hit 90 degrees + in our attic, not to mention that we’️ve had issues with pests.

At this point I’️d say I’️m 80% of the way there, so I’️m crossing my fingers that different fans might get me to where I’️d like it to be.
Sounds good, but I’ll just point out 2 additional items.

1. Inline fans can run in 90 degree plus environments all day. Mine do. I live in SoCal where my attic can be 120+.

2. Pests do not tend to bother inline fans or the associated duct work. They are not made of organic materials like electrical wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page