• 1 Post By SirMaster

post #1 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JVC nx7 versus nx5

Hi
I have a dedicated room with no windows and a seymour av screen (AT, I think it is the UF). The screen is 3.6 meters wide. I have top and bottom masking to go from 16:9 to cinema scope.
I do watch movies and TV series. Right now I will mainly use a Nvidia shield, but I may eventually go for a madvr htpc (one step at a time).
Now I have an epson tw6000 which should be upgraded. The nx7 is about 36% more expensive for me than the nx5, which is quite a bit.
I suppose I will want to enjoy good hdr.

What would you suggest?

Did anyone buy the nx5 instead of the nx7 and is happy with it?
I get the feeling that most people in this forum may suggest the nx7, but I am not sure whether my needs/preferences are comparable to the people answering.
It seems that the eventual suggestion may be to demo both (...which I have never done so far )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafisatz View Post
Hi
I have a dedicated room with no windows and a seymour av screen (AT, I think it is the UF). The screen is 3.6 meters wide. I have top and bottom masking to go from 16:9 to cinema scope.
I do watch movies and TV series. Right now I will mainly use a Nvidia shield, but I may eventually go for a madvr htpc (one step at a time).
Now I have an epson tw6000 which should be upgraded. The nx7 is about 36% more expensive for me than the nx5, which is quite a bit.

What would you suggest?

I get the feeling that most people in this forum may suggest the nx7, but I am not sure whether my needs/preferences are comparable to the people answering.
It seems that the eventual suggestion may be to demo both (...which I have never done so far )
I just got the NX5 and am very happy with it. They share the same lens and most of the same features. The NX7 has the color filter for wider coverage but loses light output when engaged. For me it came down to my budget. I got really great pricing from a dealer in Atlanta on both but in the end another almost 2k more to get the NX7 was not worth it to me. Be sure to shop around as you can find some deals way below MSRP out there.

You will be happy with either one for sure, great projectors.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 5676 Post(s)
Liked: 3727
Quote:
Hi

What would you suggest?

The main difference between the NX5 and NX7 is the contrast and black performance. The NX7 has an added lamp iris that can increase contrast, but not only that, it also has additional polarizers on the panel that are suppose to increase contrast. This is the main reason to upgrade to NX7. If your room is fully light controlled, you'd definitely benefit from that so I'd say in your case an NX7 is worth it.

Both should perform better than your Epson in contrast. Demoing them in person is tough as most shops don't fully light control their rooms and have things setup improperly. It's a real bummer.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I had this dilemma a few weeks ago. I went with the NX5 and it should be arriving sometime this week. The cost was a major reason, and I've read from calibrators that the differences aren't that wide of a gap when comparing the two.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Hi

What would you suggest?

Of course, many many people including on this forum have an RS1000/NX5. I bought one myself and if money were no object would have gone for the NX7 but perfectly happy with performance of the NX5. Like most things in life, that incremental 10 percent in performance costs proportionally more to acquire and only you can judge if it is worth it for you.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Of course, many many people including on this forum have an RS1000/NX5. I bought one myself and if money were no object would have gone for the NX7 but perfectly happy with performance of the NX5. Like most things in life, that incremental 10 percent in performance costs proportionally more to acquire and only you can judge if it is worth it for you.
Well said. I went from a NX5 to a NX7 and imo the NX5 is the best bang for the buck.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The main difference between the NX5 and NX7 is the contrast and black performance. The NX7 has an added lamp iris that can increase contrast, but not only that, it also has additional polarizers on the panel that are suppose to increase contrast. This is the main reason to upgrade to NX7. If your room is fully light controlled, you'd definitely benefit from that so I'd say in your case an NX7 is worth it.

Both should perform better than your Epson in contrast. Demoing them in person is tough as most shops don't fully light control their rooms and have things setup improperly. It's a real bummer.
With a 3.6m wide AT screen (160" or so 16x9), I only calc 19 fl in high lamp (new lamp) assuming 0.9 gain. Doesn't seem like he'll be able to take advantage of the lamp iris or the filter for HDR.

I think I'd vote for the NX5 in this case unless the screen has a significant amount of gain. There is still the native contrast difference between the 2 models, but not sure this is worth the extra money unless the N7 is well within the OP budget.
SirMaster likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the numerous answers.
It seems the nx5 is quite popular too (there are so many threads/posts about the nx7).

As for nits/hdr, I am aware that the screen is rather large. I assume that some people might go with a different model altogether because of that (tw9400? benqw5700, a benq laser? Lk...).
post #9 of 9 Old 12-18-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
With a 3.6m wide AT screen (160" or so 16x9), I only calc 19 fl in high lamp (new lamp) assuming 0.9 gain. Doesn't seem like he'll be able to take advantage of the lamp iris or the filter for HDR.

I think I'd vote for the NX5 in this case unless the screen has a significant amount of gain. There is still the native contrast difference between the 2 models, but not sure this is worth the extra money unless the N7 is well within the OP budget.
This is what I came here to say.

The NX7 IMO is only potentially worth it if you are going to use the color filter and/or close down the dual iris somewhat.

The contrast ratio of the NX5 vs. the NX7 at full open iris is not a very large difference at all and possibly not really even noticeable as its not even 1/3 more.
DoctorCyclops likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page