Warning Lights On JVC RS-4810 - Not Sure What The Issue Is - Need Your Assistance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2019, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Warning Lights On JVC RS-4810 - Not Sure What The Issue Is - Need Your Assistance

As the title says, something has triggered a warning light on my RS-4810 projector and I could use some help in understanding what's going on. I've checked the manual, and it's not completely clear.
Let me explain the circumstances that led up to this. About a month ago, my remote stopped working. I assumed it was batteries, but no, it's completely dead. Replacements are pricey, and I've just been using manual turn on and off since then.

About a week ago, I started getting a window after startup saying to replace the lamp. This was confusing as I've replaced lamps before, including in this projector, but they started gradually losing brightness and picture quality fell off slowly, as a result, and I ordered a new lamp and went from there. In the current scenario, there has been zero decrease in brightness and no dropoff in picture quality. I just clear the window with the lamp replacement notice by hitting the back button on the projector, and I've watched four movies since this began without an issue.I'm also confused, as it doesn't seem nearly time to replace the lamp, but without the remote, I can't check hours of use.

Tonight, I noticed that both the orange and red light were on when I glanced at the projector. According to the manual, these are the lamp light and warning light. They were on solid, not blinking. I had not used the projector since Tuesday night and wondered why these would be on. In checking the manual, it says the description of what these lights mean are one of the following:

Lamp does not light up and unit is unable to project

Lamp goes out during projection

Lamp cover is removed

After reading this, I turned on the projector, first, to see if it would come on, and two, in order to see if it did project. Not only did it project, but because it was up and running, I watched two movies without any problems whatsoever. After I turned it off, the red light blinked for a few seconds, and it now the projector is back to a solid orange and black light. Also, and I may be remembering this wrong, as I've been using this, and, previously, another JVC projector for quite a few years combined, but when I turn the projector off using the standby/on button on the back panel of the projector, I seem to recall fans coming on for a time, and I hear no fans at the moment.

Any help in understanding what is going on would be immensely appreciated. If the lamp just needs to be replaced I can certainly do that, but given what I said above that seems to make no sense. I'm praying that the projector doesn't have something worse going on, as I definitely can't afford to replace it at the moment. Not to mention that my JVC dealer/guru recently told me that now is absolutely NOT the time to buy a JVC projector, for my needs, that it would have to wait until sometime after Cedia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-28-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13192 Post(s)
Liked: 10818
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Why can't you check lamp hours? There are buttons on the back of the projector that grant you access to anything in the menu. First, I would check the hours, then decide on a lamp replacement, based on the hours.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-28-2019, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Why can't you check lamp hours? There are buttons on the back of the projector that grant you access to anything in the menu. First, I would check the hours, then decide on a lamp replacement, based on the hours.
The projector projects through an opening in my wall, from an adjacent room. Yes, there are buttons for everything on the back of the unit, but if you cannot see the screen, you can't work your way through the menu to get to the point where you can check hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2019, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim CL View Post
The projector projects through an opening in my wall, from an adjacent room. Yes, there are buttons for everything on the back of the unit, but if you cannot see the screen, you can't work your way through the menu to get to the point where you can check hours.
Anyone who can help me out here?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13192 Post(s)
Liked: 10818
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Nothing, a second person can't solve. They can tell you what is on screen. How did you align the projector with the screen, to begin with?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2019, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Nothing, a second person can't solve. They can tell you what is on screen. How did you align the projector with the screen, to begin with?
I did, of course, have help with that, via a second person. At present, I don't have anyone available to assist for at least a couple days. And if the hours do seem to indicate a lamp replacement, I'm fine with that, although I can't explain zero loss of brightness or picture quality if it does need a new lamp.

I was honestly hoping for more commentary on the lights that are on, and if I can assume that they do mean that the lamp needs replacement, and there is no other issue.

Jim
post #7 of 10 Old 12-29-2019, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 5906 Post(s)
Liked: 3977
Quote:
I did, of course, have help with that, via a second person. At present, I don't have anyone available to assist for at least a couple days. And if the hours do seem to indicate a lamp replacement, I'm fine with that, although I can't explain zero loss of brightness or picture quality if it does need a new lamp.

I was honestly hoping for more commentary on the lights that are on, and if I can assume that they do mean that the lamp needs replacement, and there is no other issue.

Jim
How do you know you had zero loss of brightness or picture quality? Do you do regular measurements with a light meter? If not, then you have no idea. The brightness falls off gradually over time and from one day to the next, you cannot tell. If you leave a cup of water on your dresser, a tiny amount evaporates each day, and it will eventually be empty. How can that be? Each day you look at it and you have zero change from the next.

Anyways, to check the hours on your bulb, assuming you reset it when you replaced it last, power on the projector, wait 60 seconds, then hit the menu button on the back one time, use the left button one time, and then it should be on the info screen. Walk into the room and view the info screen.

If when you replaced the bulb last, you never reset the hours timer, that might explain all your problems as the projector thinks your hours on your lamp is exceedingly long when they're not. The projector doesn't really know if your bulb is old or not. It only goes by the hours timer from when it was reset last. If you changed a bulb and didnt do the bulb hours reset steps from the manual, then it never realized the bulb was changed. Once you near 4000 hours or such on that model it should start to give you warnings. From what I can tell in your posts, your projector is actually working fine minus the remote and the lamp warnings.

As for the remote not working, there are some possibilities:
1) Remote is actually bad.
2) Remote is in "remote code B mode"
3) Projector got kicked into "remote code B mode"

Do you have a network cable plugged in and a PC handy? We can also do everything with IP control.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your extremely helpful post. I think that you have hit on exactly what is happening. First of all, yes, I do realize that the brightness falls of gradually over time. I've seen it happen before. My point was that it is not, at least as I can tell from viewing it, degraded in any way that I can see. In the past, there comes a time where it becomes noticeable that brightness and picture quality are beginning to fall off. There is none of that now.

Secondly, when I last replaced the lamp, I apparently mistakenly assumed that the projector reset the hours, and was not aware that I needed to do that. How can I remedy this now?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
How do you know you had zero loss of brightness or picture quality? Do you do regular measurements with a light meter? If not, then you have no idea. The brightness falls off gradually over time and from one day to the next, you cannot tell. If you leave a cup of water on your dresser, a tiny amount evaporates each day, and it will eventually be empty. How can that be? Each day you look at it and you have zero change from the next.

Anyways, to check the hours on your bulb, assuming you reset it when you replaced it last, power on the projector, wait 60 seconds, then hit the menu button on the back one time, use the left button one time, and then it should be on the info screen. Walk into the room and view the info screen.

If when you replaced the bulb last, you never reset the hours timer, that might explain all your problems as the projector thinks your hours on your lamp is exceedingly long when they're not. The projector doesn't really know if your bulb is old or not. It only goes by the hours timer from when it was reset last. If you changed a bulb and didnt do the bulb hours reset steps from the manual, then it never realized the bulb was changed. Once you near 4000 hours or such on that model it should start to give you warnings. From what I can tell in your posts, your projector is actually working fine minus the remote and the lamp warnings.

As for the remote not working, there are some possibilities:
1) Remote is actually bad.
2) Remote is in "remote code B mode"
3) Projector got kicked into "remote code B mode"

Do you have a network cable plugged in and a PC handy? We can also do everything with IP control.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 5906 Post(s)
Liked: 3977
Quote:
Thanks for your extremely helpful post. I think that you have hit on exactly what is happening. First of all, yes, I do realize that the brightness falls of gradually over time. I've seen it happen before. My point was that it is not, at least as I can tell from viewing it, degraded in any way that I can see. In the past, there comes a time where it becomes noticeable that brightness and picture quality are beginning to fall off. There is none of that now.

Secondly, when I last replaced the lamp, I apparently mistakenly assumed that the projector reset the hours, and was not aware that I needed to do that. How can I remedy this now?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim
You can run the hours reset routine now and reset it back to 0 hours. It requires using the remote but you can probably use the 4 way disk buttons on the back of the projector to do it.
Here are instructions:
https://manual3.jvckenwood.com/proje...SYbdbatmpm.php
When you replace your lamp next, make sure you do this then and you wont have issues.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You can run the hours reset routine now and reset it back to 0 hours. It requires using the remote but you can probably use the 4 way disk buttons on the back of the projector to do it.
Here are instructions:
https://manual3.jvckenwood.com/proje...SYbdbatmpm.php
When you replace your lamp next, make sure you do this then and you wont have issues.
Thanks very much for the assistance!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page