LG CineBeam HU85LA 4K UST Laser Projector Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think UST is the future...
Don't think so... USTs will certainly improve over time, but just like any projector will suffer from the same limitation with daylight. The future though is in lightweight wearable tech which you can get a glimpse of with Oculus Quest. It's cheap already (You can buy 12 VR headsets for the price of 1 UST), they just need to make it lighter weight, more comfortable and add 4k, but even as is you can watch movies on a huge screen.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked: 10632
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore88 View Post
Wallpaper TV will make home use projectors completely obsolete once they hit 92”+ and the price is sub $5k. I bought my last ever projector this year.
Going to have to be a lot bigger than 92". My screen is 9' wide scope. Going to take at least a 120" 16:9 before I would even look at it and even then, no AT option really rules it out for me, since I have a dedicated room. Now larger TV's do own the family room market and will continue to do so.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Don't think so... USTs will certainly improve over time, but just like any projector will suffer from the same limitation with daylight. The future though is in lightweight wearable tech which you can get a glimpse of with Oculus Quest. It's cheap already (You can buy 12 VR headsets for the price of 1 UST), they just need to make it lighter weight, more comfortable and add 4k, but even as is you can watch movies on a huge screen.
Interesting take. Personally I'm not sold that everyone is going to be wearing headsets to watch TV and movies in their homes. Maybe something like Samsung's "The Wall" could drop in price substantially and render front projection obsolete...but that's not happening any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for a projector designed mainly for home theater use to use 2.35 imaging panels. so you can fill a 2.35 screen corner to corner and 1.85 material fill top to bottom, with pillar bars on each side. However, I don't know if TI even makes DLP panels in a 2.35 aspect ratio. Since >75% of the movies I watch are in 2.35 aspect ratio I don't know if I could give up a completely filled 2.35 screen, even for the ease of use these projectors offer.
Great point. The emergence of high quality and affordable UST projectors is exciting. However, for many front projector enthusiasts, going large screen is really special with 2.35:1 set ups. Its why flat panels are for the living room and the projector is for the Home Theater setup. I could see UST projectors replacing flat panels and perhaps current HT setups that have 16:9 screens but many with dedicated home theaters won’t consider until they can do 2.35:1.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting take. Personally I'm not sold that everyone is going to be wearing headsets to watch TV and movies in their homes. Maybe something like Samsung's "The Wall" could drop in price substantially and render front projection obsolete...but that's not happening any time soon.
Depends on situation, for news/sports watching where you just want it to play on background probably not, but for a complete movie experience where you want to be immersed it works really well, especially when you can do it anywhere in any light condition without bothering anyone around you. I have watched a few dozen movies on Quest with its built-in Netflix app and it was good experience, but of course not having 4k resolution is a bummer.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #36 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Depends on situation, for news/sports watching where you just want it to play on background probably not, but for a complete movie experience where you want to be immersed it works really well, especially when you can do it anywhere in any light condition without bothering anyone around you. I have watched a few dozen movies on Quest with its built-in Netflix app and it was good experience, but of course not having 4k resolution is a bummer.
I hear you, but do you really see a bunch of people all sitting in the same room together watching the same movie on individual VR headsets? Maybe that's the future but it seems so strange to me.
post #37 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
I hear you, but do you really see a bunch of people all sitting in the same room together watching the same movie on individual VR headsets? Maybe that's the future but it seems so strange to me.
Not to mention 60% of the population uses prescription eyeglasses
post #38 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's really no different then watching a 3D movie with glasses besides having bigger headsets, sync'd VR experiences already been tested with a group of people.

https://lenspro.org/how-to-bring-hun...e-b3bc53ee92c9

Quest already works with prescription glasses and you can get custom lens https://vroptician.com/prescription-.../oculus-quest/

In any case if you haven't tried Quest give it a shot, you will be surprised how good it already is and its future potential. I am more looking forward to Quest v2 with 4k per eye hopefully then to next big thing with USTs.

EDIT: They also recently added hand tracking, so you no longer need controls to operate some apps and more in the future.

Last edited by klas; 01-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.
post #39 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quest already works with prescription glasses and you can get custom lens https://vroptician.com/prescription-.../oculus-quest/
well that's cool... I'd like a headset for 3d movies but don't want to use contacts
post #40 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Great review, I'm using mine with a vividstorm ust screen and it looks great, by the way, can you share the settings that you're using with your Cinebeam?
post #41 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does TI even manufacture 2.35 DLP panels? I can't recall seeing a consumer projector with anything but 1.85 panels but TI also serves the professional market. Maybe this is going to be the next big advancement in projectors. I'm pretty happy with my current Epson LCD projector, but I do lose a lot of pixels zooming to fit a 2.35 screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post
Great point. The emergence of high quality and affordable UST projectors is exciting. However, for many front projector enthusiasts, going large screen is really special with 2.35:1 set ups. Its why flat panels are for the living room and the projector is for the Home Theater setup. I could see UST projectors replacing flat panels and perhaps current HT setups that have 16:9 screens but many with dedicated home theaters won’t consider until they can do 2.35:1.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #42 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So is it just me or are there any hard measurements in these reviews besides luminance?

Also, that input lag is unacceptable in 2020. This is an absolute no-go for gamers IMO.

JVC RS-520, Elite Screens 100" AcousticPro UHD electric
Klipsch RP-8000F, RP-450C, 2xRP-240S, 2xRP-402S, 2xSVS PB-1000
Denon AVR-X3200W/HDFury Linker/MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Panasonic UB820/PC/PS3/PS4 Pro/Switch/WiiU/Xbox One X/Original Xbox
Logitech Harmony Hub
post #43 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Does TI even manufacture 2.35 DLP panels? I can't recall seeing a consumer projector with anything but 1.85 panels but TI also serves the professional market. Maybe this is going to be the next big advancement in projectors. I'm pretty happy with my current Epson LCD projector, but I do lose a lot of pixels zooming to fit a 2.35 screen.
They used to:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Dig...cope_1080p.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
So is it just me or are there any hard measurements in these reviews besides luminance?

Also, that input lag is unacceptable in 2020. This is an absolute no-go for gamers IMO.
Its cause of the extra processing for the shifting? I have older .95 dmd projectors and they all have 16ms input lag.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
post #44 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 231
92" is on the small side for a projection setup. Most screens in home theater are 100"-150" with a large % in the 125-ish size. When you consider that a 125" is 1.85 times larger than a 92" & a 150" screen is 2.66 times larger than a 92" screen, that 92" seems tiny in comparison.

There is no doubt however that the larger and less expensive quality flat panels become, the more they will infringe on the projector screen market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92vs150.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	2667702   Click image for larger version

Name:	92vs125.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	2667704  
post #45 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It won't be VR headsets, it'll be AR glasses.

Society in 2020 would probably look pretty strange to someone from 2000
post #46 of 52 Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I think UST is the future...will make entering the world of FP so much easier, not to mention drastically improving the viewing room aesthetics particularly for those who don't have a dedicated home theater. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the effect on audio. These projectors will likely be placed in the spot typically reserved for the center channel and as much as this unit has 3" speakers, I'm guessing that's a downgrade for most of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmarold21 View Post
Totally agree. If anyone has great ideas on how to deal with this, please share. AT screens with CLR aren't an option (yet).
Depending on the size of your cabinet and center channel, place the projector directly behind the center. In my case, the center is over the edge by a few inches, but it was in my previous set-up with the rptv, too.

Here are a few quick pics I snapped of my projector and center channel sitting on top of my component cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	855.4 KB
ID:	2667820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	956.9 KB
ID:	2667822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	797.6 KB
ID:	2667824  
nathan_h and krichter1 like this.
post #47 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
Depending on the size of your cabinet and center channel, place the projector directly behind the center. In my case, the center is over the edge by a few inches, but it was in my previous set-up with the rptv, too.

Here are a few quick pics I snapped of my projector and center channel sitting on top of my component cabinet.
Thanks. That looks good. My Klipsch center doesn’t have the depth of yours so it should work.
post #48 of 52 Old 01-11-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16439
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post

I'm not doing "hard measurements" for publication. You can go ahead and blame that on the fine folks who's knee-jerk reaction to a review unit being supplied by a manufacturer is "it's cherry-picked." The reality is there's no way to know it that's the case.

For my mental health I'm just not getting into those discussions anymore, instead I provide links to other reviews that have measurements. That goes for TVs and projectors. My reviews will concentrate on subjective impressions of the final result, usability, etc.

You will find some "hard measurements" if you follow the link to the projectorcentral review I included in my review.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #49 of 52 Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore88 View Post
Wallpaper TV will make home use projectors completely obsolete once they hit 92”+ and the price is sub $5k. I bought my last ever projector this year.
We're still a looooong way from this happening in my opinion (I haven't bought my last pj yet)...the industry has spent too much in R&D for Fpj's just to do away with them...they have to recoup this money first. LG's rising OLED was out last year but no pricing or ordering. I expect it'll be 10 years before we have good, big, cheap wallpaper oleds that roll up/down as they'll have to be stratispherically priced for the first 3-4 years to accrue enough money to drive the research to get them cheaper (look how long it took to get 85" OLEDs, 10 years, same reason). There are probably more people still watching tube TVs than UST pjs...lack of market penetration driving costs down will be the main issue. Just my .02 My hope is for 125" roll down 4K OLED...I'd pay $5K today for that and I'm extremely frugal.
post #50 of 52 Old 01-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
We're still a looooong way from this happening in my opinion (I haven't bought my last pj yet)...the industry has spent too much in R&D for Fpj's just to do away with them...they have to recoup this money first. LG's rising OLED was out last year but no pricing or ordering. I expect it'll be 10 years before we have good, big, cheap wallpaper oleds that roll up/down as they'll have to be stratispherically priced for the first 3-4 years to accrue enough money to drive the research to get them cheaper (look how long it took to get 85" OLEDs, 10 years, same reason). There are probably more people still watching tube TVs than UST pjs...lack of market penetration driving costs down will be the main issue. Just my .02 My hope is for 125" roll down 4K OLED...I'd pay $5K today for that and I'm extremely frugal.

Yeah, I agree. I think we’re still at least a decade away from having 120”+ panels or “wallpaper” that are affordable(~$5k). I believe the rollout LG OLED was quoted at $60,000. We may have affordable rollouts in the ~88” area in the next five years and even a 100” panel. I actually can see a 100” panel being $5K or below quickly. And I think 100” may be the limit for rigid panels, just from a logistical standpoint.

When the time rolls around to replace my new projector, maybe there will be 135” OLED “wallpaper” I can hang for the same price.
post #51 of 52 Old 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Going to have to be a lot bigger than 92". My screen is 9' wide scope. Going to take at least a 120" 16:9 before I would even look at it and even then, no AT option really rules it out for me, since I have a dedicated room. Now larger TV's do own the family room market and will continue to do so.

And Mike... what about those of us w/ dedicated lens' & scope screens in our rooms. Would something like this ever have an anamorphic mode you think?? (if not... I'm out! . . . not that I'm remotely thinking about ridding myself of the B.E.A...uuuTIful RS2000 you just sold me... still need my 3D fix too... that alone I'd be OUT!)

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #52 of 52 Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post

Great photos. This shows how, in regards to the question about center channel placement, the LG is by FAR the best UST when it comes to throw distance. The Optoma P1 is the worst, and the Xiaomi is somewhere in-between the two. Good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
4k projector , laser projector , lg hu85la , ust projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page