LG CineBeam HU85LA 4K UST Laser Projector Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9384 Post(s)
Liked: 16635
LG CineBeam HU85LA 4K UST Laser Projector Review

What does the future of projection look like? The LG CineBeam HU85LA Ultra Short Throw 4K Laser Smart Projector ($5999.99) offers an answer to that question today. It’s a projector that fits right into your living room, sitting mere inches away from the screen. It’s a projector that gives you a picture up to 120” in size, turns on and off right away and maintains its brightness even with years of daily use.

While this LG is not the first UST 4K projector marketed to consumers, its price point and premium performance will make it appealing for sports, gaming and movie enthusiasts seeking a big-screen experience at home. Anyone interested in a very large screen that has appealing qualities of both a flat panel TV and a home theater projection-based system, needs to see what LG’s HU85LA offers.

Before getting into my experience with the HU85LA, if you’re looking for a deep-dive review of this model I can point you to Rob Sabin’s article at projectorcentral.com, where he spends some time putting this model in context of the current consumer market for UST projectors, a nascent and burgeoning category that has the potential to disrupt the market for TVs above 85“ in size. It’s a range where prices go through the roof and sometimes (think urban condos) even the logistics of fitting the TV through doorways becomes an issue.

Features

DLP projection offers smooth motion rendering and a sharp, consistent, color accurate image. However home DLP projection has traditionally suffered from “rainbow” artifacts associated with the use of a color wheel to create the RGB primaries. However LG makes the color wheel obsolete with its 3-laser design, it features one red and two blue lasers with one of the blue lasers exciting a phosphor to create pure green light. Since the light source already comprises the three primary colors, there’s no need for the color wheel.

LG uses a .66″ DLP chip in the HU85LA. It relies on pixel-shift technology to achieve full 4K resolution on screen. Test patterns show the HU85LA manages to display 4K resolution, but it’s not quite as “crisp” as a 4K TV of the same size. However—and this is the crucial point—native 4K projectors are often limited by the quality of their lens. The lens LG created for this projector is surprisingly sharp from edge-to-edge, despite the CineBeam UST’s short throw ratio of 0.19:1. I’ve seen native 4K projectors that don’t look as sharp as this LG.

This is a Smart projector with built-in apps running on LG’s Smart TV ThinQ AI platform with Google Assistant, so you don’t need a separate source to watch shows and movies, as long as you have Wi-Fi and internet, you are good to go. Add an antenna and you can even use the built-in TV tuner! The projector features dual HDMI inputs. two USB inputs and has optical audio out for connecting to an audio system. Built-in speakers allow it to serve as a self-contained entertainment center.

Setup

The setup of a UST projector is a meticulous process for screen positioning and placement. There’s precious little room for error since the HU85LA lacks any lens shift or zoom, so once you’ve determined where you will place the unit, you need to hang the screen in exactly the right spot. Fortunately, there is very little geometric distortion and you can use a screen with a very narrow bezel—I projected onto a 90″ Screen Innovations ZeroEdge Pro outfitted with a UST screen material where the bezel measure a mere 0.5″. And if you need to tweak the geometry for any reason, LG provides a warp function that helps you get everything straight (albeit at the “cost” of having to reinterpolate those pixels).

One thing I noticed about UST projectors in general is the extreme projection angle will exaggerate even the slightest imperfection in the screen surface. Therefore, no matter the screen you choose for this projector, you’ll want to ensure it is perfectly flat.

The projector itself sits anywhere from 2.2” (for a 90” picture) up to 7.2” (for a 120” picture) from the screen. The unit itself is only 13.7” deep so it easily sits on a standard-depth TV stand or credenza.

Once positioned, the projected image is impressive. I used a PC to send a native 2160 x 3840 30p signal (with 4:4:4 chroma) to the LG and set the desktop magnification to 100%. The tiny text may not be the sharpest I have ever seen, however It’s perfectly legible—and that includes the far corners of the screen. If you sent 2160/60p to the projector, you lose the 4:4:4 chroma but mostly the image looks the same and you get the faster refresh rate for gaming and smooth scrolling, etc.

I changing the desktop magnification on the PC to the (much more eye pleasing) 200%; the result was crisp, easy-to-read text. Whether at 100% or 200% magnification, text sharpness is just about identical to my native 4K long-throw projector. Long story short… the LG HU85LA’s overall resolution—factoring in the lens and the imager—is up to par for a 4K device in its price range and you can even use it with a PC at 4K resolution.

There are picture mode presets to cover a variety of applications. Cinema and Expert (Dark Room) are good choices for home theater. Game Mode noticeably reduces latency while the mode called HDR Effect is bright, with tons of pop, yet reasonably color accurate. There are several additional options like Sports and Expert (Bright Room) to try, depending on the room lighting and content.

I recommend a basic 2-point calibration at the minimum for this projector. The reason is that it does not ship with its own screen and whatever screen you use it with will probably affect the color. More in-depth calibrations will yield even greater accuracy. However, the fast, easy & DIY friendly 2-point process gets you to “good enough” with ease on this projector.

Test Patterns, Movies, TV and Games

Calibration and measurements only tell part of the story for any display. The other half is how it all comes together on screen. A great display is one that does not call attention to itself. Instead, it keeps you focused on the content. That means avoiding distracting artifacts like banding and noise while maximizing the fidelity of what’s on screen. Fortunately the CineBeam HU85LA has LG’s excellent (and adjustable) image processing—including excellent upscaling—built in.

This LG produces a pristine picture. Subjectively (as in “to my eyes”) as long as the room is not lit by mid-day sun, the image put out by the HU85LA looks more natural than a TV. Sharp, rich color, great motion and no halos or clouding or image retention or banding to ruin the experience.

I fed the LG test clips from the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark test disc, including clips that test motion (for example, horizontal pans). Guess what… the HU85LA trounces the flat panel TVs when it comes to playing these clips, which look tack-sharp and scroll with perfect smoothness. This translates to tons of visible detail in fast-moving imagery such as action scenes or sports or games and I can’t stress enough what a huge benefit this. Why? Becasue unless you spend your time watching static 4K images in slide shows, you will be watching content that moves so motion resolution matters a lot and this projector handles it very well (including applying motion interpolation when/where it’s needed with the TrueMotion function).

Another thing I really like about this LG is that if you are familiar with the controls on LG’s current-model TVs, you’ll be right at home adjusting the many picture quality related settings offered on this projector.

Thanks to its wide color gamut capabilities, this projector is able to reproduce deep, rich reds, greens and blues. Reds in particular are vibrant and saturated so even the Netflix logo makes you say “wow” when you see it.

Proof is in the pudding. This projector comes closer to “doing it all” than any display I’ve used before it. I can watch a football game in the afternoon, use it to show album art from streaming music during dinner, and then catch a home theater-quality presentation of a UHD movie that looks about as good on screen as anything I’ve seen from a 4K laser projector at this price point (UST or not). Based on how movies like Zombieland 2 Double Tap and Joker looked on this projector (with lights dimmed) I can confidently say I’d gladly choose it over a TV.

Calibration Notes

When using the 90” ZeroEdge Short Throw screen from Screen Innovations, I measured around 70 nits on screen in Expert Dark Room, Expert Bright Room and Cinema modes, about 100 nits in Vivid, HDR Effect and Sports modes, and a slightly lower 95 nits in Game mode and Standard mode.

On a plain white surface brightness increased by just over 50% in all modes, which is a function of screen gain. And frankly, if you do not need ambient light rejection (I.e. you plan to only use this projector in a darkened room) then you don’t necessarily need a special screen. Indeed, when projecting on plain white in a dark room, this projector is fully “home theater quality” so don’t just peg it as a living room solution, this is a projector for movie buffs as well. I got about 100 nits peak luminance post calibration out of the Expert (Dark Room) mode, while projecting a 110” image on a white screen. Furthermore, post-calibration color was extremely accurate.

Interestingly (and likely the result of the three laser system) this projector did not experience much (if any) loss in light output as a result of calibration. This is distinctly different behavior versus bulb-based systems.

The HU85LA’s performance with a plain white screen was a huge surprise to me, but make no mistake, if you want the “look” of a huge TV in your room… with the white walls and lots of ambient light that are typical, you will want to pair it with a UST-specific screen.

Nevertheless, don’t rule this projector out for home theater duty because it’s a UST design… it’s shockingly good in that application. One warning: If you are thinking of pairing it with a “regular” ALR (ambient light rejecting) screen, forget about it… those screens treat this projector’s output as ambient light that needs to be absorbed/rejected—not reflected—resulting in a dim picture. You MUST use a UST-specific ALR material if you want it to work.

Long story short, to get the most out of this projector you will need a dedicated ALR UST screen. But if you use it in a darkened room, then you can opt for a white (or gray) screen. Just remember, you cannot use this projector with a long-throw compatible ALR material.

For contrast, this projector’s performance impresses, even when used in my white-walled living room. As long as I turned off the lights, post calibration I saw a native ANSI contrast in the 800:1 range despite the lack of light control. This translated to a bright, punchy picture that’s superior to what I’m used to seeing from DLP projectors. You can turn on Dynamic Contrast and the projector will modulate the light output based on the scene, resulting in even greater apparent contrast—LG claims 2 million to 1 dynamic contrast. On screen it all comes together nicely; the picture produced by the LG CineBeam HG85LA is punchy, sharp, and colorful.

One of the great things about DLP technology is how well it handles motion. Test patterns from blur busters.com confirm that this projector handles motion better than today’s TVs, it’s practically plasma-like in terms of motion clarity. Another great quality of DLP is the uniformity, you won’t find a TV able to render full screen gray patterns this smooth and clean. A 5% gray window looks “perfect” with no signs of banding or blotchiness—it’s a world apart from what you see with TVs. All-in-all, the HU85LA’s screen uniformity is outstanding for a UST projector and blows away TVs. Dirty screen effect? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Unfortunately, this excellent projector does not support 3D, a shame since DLP projection works great with active 3D and the HU85LA has the brightness needed.

With the HG85LA, a plethora of the issues that lead to distraction with flat panel TVs simply do not exist. There are no room reflections coming off the screen, nor any sign of “dirty screen effect.” There’s less visible judder than with TVs, leading to a more natural look when watching movies. Even with the UST screen, off-axis viewing maintains its quality better than many TVs and with a white screen the off-axis performance is unbeatable.

Lag measured from the lens (with a Leo Bodnar lag meter) is around 140 milliseconds in the various video modes and about 55 milliseconds in game mode.

Conclusion

This is an unexpectedly amazing projector from LG. It resolves the biggest issue with DLP projection by eliminating rainbow artifacts, and since it does this with lasers, it turns on and off right away, has minimal fan noise, and calibrates extremely precisely.

While hardly cheap, this LG’s design features and performance make a compelling argument for choosing it over an 85” or larger TV. Regardless of whether you install it in a living room, AV room, basement or even a bedroom, as long as you calibrate it, provide an appropriate screen and are mindful of the lighting, the HU85LA will absolutely impress you with the picture it puts up on screen.

The LG CineBeam HU85LA is a Top Choice selection for 2020.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-15-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Really great review, Can you maybe share your calibrated settings?

Have you had a chance to view it side by side with the optoma p1? I'd like to know how the optoma p1 and the vava in most online reviews are yielding higher native contrast then the LG when they have the smaller 0.47 chip.
post #3 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 15
could 3d be added thru firmware update?
robdman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryyy View Post
Really great review, Can you maybe share your calibrated settings?

Have you had a chance to view it side by side with the optoma p1? I'd like to know how the optoma p1 and the vava in most online reviews are yielding higher native contrast then the LG when they have the smaller 0.47 chip.
Regarding the native contrast, thats the final, bottom line contrast in a white walled living room. If I still had a blacked out home theater I’m sure I would have measured higher native contrast. It’s not a number that can be directly compared with another review’s measurements.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really appreciate the review. I am considering this exact same set-up, just waiting for the occasion $700+ price drop on Amazon for the projector. Since I plan on building a custom stand for the projector would you recommend mounting the screen first?
post #6 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 271
UST projectors will completely disrupt the already limited HT projector industry. I have a JVC DLA-RS440U (X590R) and already I'm regretting spending the money and time pinning it to the ceiling, buying 60 ft. optical HDMI cables and running them through the walls and ceiling, and just the general hassle and cost that comes with setting up a traditional front PJ.

But USTs need to come down in price and correct the abysmal input lag before I and a few others jump onboard.
edved1 likes this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #7 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
UST projectors will completely disrupt the already limited HT projector industry. I have a JVC DLA-RS440U (X590R) and already I'm regretting spending the money and time pinning it to the ceiling, buying 60 ft. optical HDMI cables and running them through the walls and ceiling, and just the general hassle and cost that comes with setting up a traditional front PJ.

But USTs need to come down in price and correct the abysmal input lag before I and a few others jump onboard.
I generally agree with you regarding future of the HT projector industry. It's a lot of hassle and cost to do a clean projector setup. But in my opinion, UST are a sidestep to the front projector complexity.
The real game changer will be wallpaper OLED and Micro LED TVs at 100" and above. Once these become affordable and any Joe can go into Best Buy, buy it and hang it on the wall, HT projectors will go the way of Kuro TVs.
thehun and edved1 like this.
post #8 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark View Post
Really appreciate the review. I am considering this exact same set-up, just waiting for the occasion $700+ price drop on Amazon for the projector. Since I plan on building a custom stand for the projector would you recommend mounting the screen first?
If you have a dealer that you have a good relationship with, give them a call and see what they can do. I bought mine back before Thanksgiving for $699 off MSRP.
post #9 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
This is an unexpectedly amazing projector from LG. It resolves the biggest issue with DLP projection by eliminating rainbow artifacts, and since it does this with lasers, it turns on and off right away, has minimal fan noise, and calibrates extremely precisely.
Are you seeing the Laser version of the rainbow effect? If I move my eyes quickly across the screen, sometimes I can see a blue edge in bright/white objects(like lights), similar to my rear projection DLP and the rainbow in bright/white objects when I moved my eyes quickly.
kucharsk likes this.
post #10 of 78 Old 01-06-2020, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
Are you seeing the Laser version of the rainbow effect? If I move my eyes quickly across the screen, sometimes I can see a blue edge in bright/white objects(like lights), similar to my rear projection DLP and the rainbow in bright/white objects when I moved my eyes quickly.

No, I didn’t see that at all, not even with the sort of pattern that would most likely trigger it, like white lines over a black background.

With color wheels, I’m so sensitive to rainbow effect that it made DLP pretty much unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
No, I didn’t see that at all, not even with the sort of pattern that would most likely trigger it, like white lines over a black background.

With color wheels, I’m so sensitive to rainbow effect that it made DLP pretty much unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There’s another member in the announcement thread who says that they can see it, as well. How long have you had it? Maybe your brain has just tuned it out. When I first got my rear projection DLP sets, I really noticed the rainbowing, but then I guess my brain just got used to it and tuned it out and it became more of a rarity when I did.
post #12 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
There’s another member in the announcement thread who says that they can see it, as well. How long have you had it? Maybe your brain has just tuned it out. When I first got my rear projection DLP sets, I really noticed the rainbowing, but then I guess my brain just got used to it and tuned it out and it became more of a rarity when I did.
So he sees a rainbow effect that's supposedly caused by a color wheel on a project that doesn't have a color wheel; that is a curious thing. I wonder if it's the laser switching between all those tiny mirrors that cause him to see it or the eshift itself? I'm not as susceptible to the color wheel, but have experienced it when looking at a DLP from the side.

I think a project likes this makes a lot of sense for large format home viewing.
post #13 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I've been considering the JVC NX7 for my upcoming theater room. Would you say this is a better overall experience?

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #14 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
I've been considering the JVC NX7 for my upcoming theater room. Would you say this is a better overall experience?
The Projector Central review may answer your question. https://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-...tor-Review.htm

For me, I am probably going to go with the next gen NX5 and be happy for a dedicated theater, but cost factor weighs in and my considerations might be different if I were starting from scratch.
Couch Viking likes this.
post #15 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Wouldn't it make more sense for a projector designed mainly for home theater use to use 2.35 imaging panels. so you can fill a 2.35 screen corner to corner and 1.85 material fill top to bottom, with pillar bars on each side. However, I don't know if TI even makes DLP panels in a 2.35 aspect ratio. Since >75% of the movies I watch are in 2.35 aspect ratio I don't know if I could give up a completely filled 2.35 screen, even for the ease of use these projectors offer.
robdman likes this.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #16 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
I went to an LG demo at my dealer and I could see it pretty readily.

I'm also sensitive to rainbow effect from LED stage lighting fixtures.
post #17 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
So he sees a rainbow effect that's supposedly caused by a color wheel on a project that doesn't have a color wheel; that is a curious thing. I wonder if it's the laser switching between all those tiny mirrors that cause him to see it or the eshift itself? I'm not as susceptible to the color wheel, but have experienced it when looking at a DLP from the side.

I think a project likes this makes a lot of sense for large format home viewing.
I personally said I can see the "laser version" of the rainbow effect. But I don't believe the other member or anyone said anything about rainbow effect caused by a color wheel. You're putting words into peoples mouths.
post #18 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I personally said I can see the "laser version" of the rainbow effect. But I don't believe the other member or anyone said anything about rainbow effect caused by a color wheel. You're putting words into peoples mouths.
Relax, I'm not attacking you or anyone else, I'm just curious about what you're seeing and maybe I misunderstood your comment. This is what you said
Quote:
There’s another member in the announcement thread who says that they can see it, as well.
Historically rainbow effect is caused by a color wheel and this projector doesn't have one. If you're not referring to this projector then that wasn't clear to me. If you are then what is it that you're all seeing and can it be caused by the shifting mirrors or something else? It's a legitimate question.
post #19 of 78 Old 01-07-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Relax, I'm not attacking you or anyone else, I'm just curious about what you're seeing and maybe I misunderstood your comment. This is what you said Historically rainbow effect is caused by a color wheel and this projector doesn't have one. If you're not referring to this projector then that wasn't clear to me. If you are then what is it that you're all seeing and can it be caused by the shifting mirrors or something else? It's a legitimate question.
Never said you were attacking anyone. Your comment just made it sound like people may have said something they didn't.

I am talking about the LG HU85LA. I know there is no color wheel in it, but there is something going on that is, at least, equatable to the "rainbow effect" attributed to the color wheel in standard DLP systems. I called it the "laser version", so as to try not to confuse and make it sound like it is the "color wheel rainbow effect". Maybe I didn't do a good job delineating between the two. When I do see "it", I see mostly a heavy blue.
post #20 of 78 Old 01-08-2020, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Historically rainbow effect is caused by a color wheel and this projector doesn't have one. If you're not referring to this projector then that wasn't clear to me. If you are then what is it that you're all seeing and can it be caused by the shifting mirrors or something else? It's a legitimate question.
RBE is not really caused by the color wheel, it is caused by the rapid flashing of the colors. This one doesn't have a color wheel, but since it is single chip it still has to flash the colors to display a proper picture. RGB LED versions(Benq HT 9060) can flash colors so quickly that RBE shouldn't be an issue but rarely some can still see it. This is one of the first lasers with RGB laser tech, so there are probably not much experience with RGB lasers and RBE?
cutman0122 likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #21 of 78 Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never said you were attacking anyone. Your comment just made it sound like people may have said something they didn't.

I am talking about the LG HU85LA. I know there is no color wheel in it, but there is something going on that is, at least, equatable to the "rainbow effect" attributed to the color wheel in standard DLP systems. I called it the "laser version", so as to try not to confuse and make it sound like it is the "color wheel rainbow effect". Maybe I didn't do a good job delineating between the two. When I do see "it", I see mostly a heavy blue.
That's what I'm curious about. Just thinking about it, I imagine that it takes someone with sensitive eyes (or good tracking)to notice. Unless there's some other issue with the projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
RBE is not really caused by the color wheel, it is caused by the rapid flashing of the colors. This one doesn't have a color wheel, but since it is single chip it still has to flash the colors to display a proper picture. RGB LED versions(Benq HT 9060) can flash colors so quickly that RBE shouldn't be an issue but rarely some can still see it. This is one of the first lasers with RGB laser tech, so there are probably not much experience with RGB lasers and RBE?
"The DLP rainbow effect is often noticed on the images from older and cheaper projectors which sport slower color wheels."
http://www.theprojectorexpert.com/dlp-rainbow-effect/

I imagine if you have a color wheel and laser you're still going to see RBE if you're affected by it with a lamp.
post #22 of 78 Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
"The DLP rainbow effect is often noticed on the images from older and cheaper projectors which sport slower color wheels."
http://www.theprojectorexpert.com/dlp-rainbow-effect/

I imagine if you have a color wheel and laser you're still going to see RBE if you're affected by it with a lamp.
Yes, with slower color wheel you see it more, faster color wheel less. RGB leds with fast cycling you see it even less. But with RGB leds/lasers with slow cycling it can also be an issue. Single laser projectors use color wheels and suffer RBE just like lamp projectors.

It is about color cycling speed, not so much about how the cycling is done. But leds can be much faster than wheels.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Mike Garrett likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #23 of 78 Old 01-08-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm curious about. Just thinking about it, I imagine that it takes someone with sensitive eyes (or good tracking)to notice....
That would be my guess, as well. I'm a cameraman and have shot sports my entire career. I'm also very sensitive to high frequency sounds.
post #24 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think UST is the future...will make entering the world of FP so much easier, not to mention drastically improving the viewing room aesthetics particularly for those who don't have a dedicated home theater. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the effect on audio. These projectors will likely be placed in the spot typically reserved for the center channel and as much as this unit has 3" speakers, I'm guessing that's a downgrade for most of us.
Pmarold21 likes this.
post #25 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Wallpaper TV will make home use projectors completely obsolete once they hit 92”+ and the price is sub $5k. I bought my last ever projector this year.
post #26 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For my personal requirements, and I suspect a reasonable percentage of other projector owners, I need a retractable screen. I live in an old home with no walls large enough for an 85" flat-screen let alone something 100+ inches. For that reason I really hope projectors don't go the way of the Dodo bird as suggested in another post. I don't know if there's currently a way to stretch a retractable screen perfectly flat or if something like that is in the works, but if not the UST's aren't useable for my situation. Too bad since in every other way the LG and others like it would be great options for all the reasons mentioned. But maybe wallpaper TV's will eventually be retractable? That would be my ideal...
nathan_h likes this.
post #27 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think UST is the future...will make entering the world of FP so much easier, not to mention drastically improving the viewing room aesthetics particularly for those who don't have a dedicated home theater. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the effect on audio. These projectors will likely be placed in the spot typically reserved for the center channel and as much as this unit has 3" speakers, I'm guessing that's a downgrade for most of us.
It’s funny you mention room aesthetics. I just retired my 92” rear projection set and replaced it with the CineBeam running at 120” and my room has opened up a lot, despite the screen being almost 2.5’ feet bigger diagonal. That 92” rptv cabinet took up way more space than I thought. I mean it was sticking out probably 2’-3’ from the wall...

I placed my projector right behind my center channel. The center hangs off the front of the cabinet by an inch or two, but it did the same thing with the rptv. You could easily make a very thin extension to fit under it for extra support, but I never had issues in the ~8 years it has been like that anyway.
post #28 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I thought the HiSense 100” Triluminous laser with DV and 3100 lumens pretty impressive too
post #29 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Totally agree. If anyone has great ideas on how to deal with this, please share. AT screens with CLR aren't an option (yet).
post #30 of 78 Old 01-10-2020, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Heres a good read on how sequential color works with solid state rgb dlp, search "4.1" to skip to it.

http://www.cine4home.de/Specials/Viv...20Preview2.htm

If I try really hard on a black screen with white bars I can barely perceive the most subtle color tearing when uncomfortablely darting my eyes left to right or up and down. Its imperceptible in normal viewing and the benefits to image quality are numerous.

One issue not often discussed for solid state rgb is increased chromatic abberation due to the narrower band output of the light source(at least for leds), and thats going to keep costs higher(better lens) to get better image quality, though I cant say if this is an issue for lasers. While fine detail is retained, theres still color fringing and edge sharpness is dulled with lower quality lenses. It also prevents the use of manual irises, but fortunately adjusting light output doesnt seem to be an issue with modern laser projectors like it was with leds. Perhaps due to leds changing color slightly at different temperature levels, they require upgraded cooling to keep them temperature stable. Maybe a lasers output is so specific(1nm) its not affected? Or the lasers already need upgraded cooling due to their higher power consumption and light output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
4k projector , laser projector , lg hu85la , ust projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page