Laser lamp replacement for Laser Projectors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By bdht
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Laser lamp replacement for Laser Projectors

I've searched, but only found articles talking about basic bulb replacement on regular bulb projectors in articles comparing Laser to conventional projectors. What happens when a laser PJ lamp goes out? Is there a bulb or lamp or laser to replace, and how much would the cost be, and can it be replaced by anyone or is it complex and require the manufacturer to replace it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookN2Find View Post
I've searched, but only found articles talking about basic bulb replacement on regular bulb projectors in articles comparing Laser to conventional projectors. What happens when a laser PJ lamp goes out? Is there a bulb or lamp or laser to replace, and how much would the cost be, and can it be replaced by anyone or is it complex and require the manufacturer to replace it?
If under warranty they replace the projector. If out of warranty you can sell it for parts. Due to the nature of the laser it cannot be cost effectively replaced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
If under warranty they replace the projector. If out of warranty you can sell it for parts. Due to the nature of the laser it cannot be cost effectively replaced.

Thank you for your response. Wow. So the SONYs that are 30 grand and up just have to be thrown away or sold for parts? Thats rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookN2Find View Post
Thank you for your response. Wow. So the SONYs that are 30 grand and up just have to be thrown away or sold for parts? Thats rough.
Those uber expensive laser projectors are rated for 20,0000 hours generally speaking. If they don't last nearly that long and happened to be out of warranty I am quite confident Sony or JVC would work out a mutually satisfying solution with their customer.

LookN2Find likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 141
If the cooling systems are upgraded the diodes brightness lifespan is extended as well

If its out of warranty it can be very difficult to replace the diodes, requiring you to source them, then completely dismantle the unit and reassemble and who knows if the diode is soldered to a heatsink or what the design is.

Also think about sequential use with single chip dmds, there are 3 lasers and theyre pulsed which essentially cuts each lasers use time.
LookN2Find likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 5679 Post(s)
Liked: 3734
Quote:

It's been discussed quite a bit. But the most likely scenario is that other parts of the projector die before the light source goes out. Nothing lasts forever. But the RS4500, for example, is rated at 20,000 hours on high laser but 30,000 at mid laser, 40,000 on low laser. Then you figure that a lot of content causes dynamic dimming to kick in which runs the laser lower so you may even get more hours. It's estimated you'll get 10+ years out of the light source depending on how many hours you put on your unit per year. I am a heavy user of 7 hours a day and my RS4500 will last about 9 years for me.

Also, at the 20k-30k hours, your light source isn't dead. It's half bright.

In 10 years, I'll be able to buy an equivalent quality projector for a fraction of the price.
LookN2Find likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It's been discussed quite a bit. But the most likely scenario is that other parts of the projector die before the light source goes out. Nothing lasts forever. But the RS4500, for example, is rated at 20,000 hours on high laser but 30,000 at mid laser, 40,000 on low laser. Then you figure that a lot of content causes dynamic dimming to kick in which runs the laser lower so you may even get more hours. It's estimated you'll get 10+ years out of the light source depending on how many hours you put on your unit per year. I am a heavy user of 7 hours a day and my RS4500 will last about 9 years for me.

Also, at the 20k-30k hours, your light source isn't dead. It's half bright.

In 10 years, I'll be able to buy an equivalent quality projector for a fraction of the price.
That's what I was hoping. I just told someone that if I spent 20-30 grand on a Sony laser projector and it died in 10 years, I'd hope I could pick up something 10 years down the road that essentially costs nothing in comparison (hoping the price comes down). I am going to try to hold out for 2-3 years before buying a laser projector. I'll probably buy a bulb replacement for my current projector and sell it once it hits the 6,000 hour mark on the second bulb. I hope the prices drop substantially by that time.

Thank you all for your responses.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 13007 Post(s)
Liked: 10648
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Those uber expensive laser projectors are rated for 20,0000 hours generally speaking. If they don't last nearly that long and happened to be out of warranty I am quite confident Sony or JVC would work out a mutually satisfying solution with their customer.

Out of warranty laser replacement is very expensive. Last I checked, JVC USA couldn't even do it. Would have to go back to the factory. With that said, failure rate is very low.
LookN2Find likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-11-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page