Dolby Vision IQ For Future Projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By MidnightWatcher
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Dolby Vision IQ For Future Projectors?

With the introduction of Dolby Vision IQ at CES I am wondering if we might soon see this on projectors. The problem with Dolby Vision in the past was there was no way to make it work with projectors because of many factors including screen size, brightness, and room type. With Dolby Vision IQ a projector manufacture could build a light meter into the projector and possibly work with Dolby to make it work.

I can see it first coming to short throw and high end projectors but I see no reason why it can't be implemented in other models. Wondering what others think?
rwestley is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,592
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Doubt this will ever happen for projectors, which are intended for dark/darkened rooms. Auto/dynamic tone mapping (like what JVC is doing) is the future for HDR projectors imho
Craig Peer and seanbryan like this.

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 01-12-2020 at 08:18 AM.
MidnightWatcher is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Doubt this will ever happen for projectors, which are intended for dark/darkened rooms. Auto/dynamic tone mapping (like what JVC is doing) is the future for HDR projectors imho
I totally agree that Auto/dynamic tone mapping is great but Dolby Vision is a great selling feature. Yesterday I saw 1917 in a new Dolby Theater and it was the best picture and sound quality I have ever experienced in a Theater. It may never happen but I think it may be possible using a built in light meter on the projector and or Dolby can provide alternative settings for screen size, type of screen, and room.
rwestley is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,136
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I totally agree that Auto/dynamic tone mapping is great but Dolby Vision is a great selling feature. Yesterday I saw 1917 in a new Dolby Theater and it was the best picture and sound quality I have ever experienced in a Theater. It may never happen but I think it may be possible using a built in light meter on the projector and or Dolby can provide alternative settings for screen size, type of screen, and room.
If it doesn't happen ( questionable ), you always have the MadVR Envy or the Lumagen Radiance Pro !
rwestley likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If it doesn't happen ( questionable ), you always have the MadVR Envy or the Lumagen Radiance Pro !
Unless of course you like simplicity and believe your display device should be able to handle all formats out of the box. At least until it becomes obsolete.
willieconway is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-12-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,136
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Unless of course you like simplicity and believe your display device should be able to handle all formats out of the box. At least until it becomes obsolete.
Doesn't seem like you can get that with projectors though. And you probably never will.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,628
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5411 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
With the introduction of Dolby Vision IQ at CES I am wondering if we might soon see this on projectors. The problem with Dolby Vision in the past was there was no way to make it work with projectors because of many factors including screen size, brightness, and room type. With Dolby Vision IQ a projector manufacture could build a light meter into the projector and possibly work with Dolby to make it work.

I can see it first coming to short throw and high end projectors but I see no reason why it can't be implemented in other models. Wondering what others think?
Take a look at this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...l#post58724442
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,136
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
What you guys are doing there sure doesn't qualify for this - " Unless of course you like simplicity and believe your display device should be able to handle all formats out of the box. At least until it becomes obsolete. " Then again, for many, projection and home theater is fun and a " hobby " precisely because we can tinker and customize stuff, as opposed to just hanging a TV on the wall and calling it a day.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 01-14-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
What you guys are doing there sure doesn't qualify for this - " Unless of course you like simplicity and believe your display device should be able to handle all formats out of the box. At least until it becomes obsolete. " Then again, for many, projection and home theater is fun and a " hobby " precisely because we can tinker and customize stuff, as opposed to just hanging a TV on the wall and calling it a day.
What you say is true but many of us also like to watch a movie or show sometimes instead of tinkering. I could see a projector manufacture or Dolby come up with home calibration for video working in a similar way that Audyssey and others work for audio. The projector would come with the software built in along with a meter that one could use on initial setup and then re-calibrate when necessary. With the increased processing power of programmable chips I don't see why this would not be possible.

It seems that Dolby IQ would be the perfect platform for this to work.
rwestley is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,136
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
What you say is true but many of us also like to watch a movie or show sometimes instead of tinkering. I could see a projector manufacture or Dolby come up with home calibration for video working in a similar way that Audyssey and others work for audio. The projector would come with the software built in along with a meter that one could use on initial setup and then re-calibrate when necessary. With the increased processing power of programmable chips I don't see why this would not be possible.

It seems that Dolby IQ would be the perfect platform for this to work.
At this point in my home theater life, I'm 100% with you on this. It's unfortunate that the Lumagen is expensive, because the dynamic tone mapping has made any tinkering a thing of the past for me. And a shout out to Kris Deering - since he calibrated my setup, it's never looked better with no tinkering required.
rwestley likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I know Kris and other calibrators will do a better job than any possible built in solution. The problem is that it is sometimes difficult to get a good calibrator and it is costly. I can see some kind of built in, easy to use, software as a valuable addition to a projector. Look what JVC did with DTM. Why not surprise us again and supply built in calibration software with the next generation of projectors. I am sure it would be a great selling point.
rwestley is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
At this point in my home theater life, I'm 100% with you on this. It's unfortunate that the Lumagen is expensive, because the dynamic tone mapping has made any tinkering a thing of the past for me. And a shout out to Kris Deering - since he calibrated my setup, it's never looked better with no tinkering required.
I very reluctantly went the Madvr route because of this. If the Lumagen was a bit cheaper I'd buy one for sure. But it's just too pricey.

In regards to the original thread topic, do we care about Dolby Vision IQ with the advent of DTM? Seems like we don't, but maybe I don't know all of the advantages.
talon95 is online now  
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I very reluctantly went the Madvr route because of this. If the Lumagen was a bit cheaper I'd buy one for sure. But it's just too pricey.

In regards to the original thread topic, do we care about Dolby Vision IQ with the advent of DTM? Seems like we don't, but maybe I don't know all of the advantages.
I do think that some of use care about Dolby Vision since we are trying to get the best picture possible. Those who have MadVr or a Lumagen may not need or car since they have an option but Dolby Vision may be good for the rest of us. With HDMI 2.1 coming there may be other improvements in the works.
rwestley is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,136
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I do think that some of use care about Dolby Vision since we are trying to get the best picture possible. Those who have MadVr or a Lumagen may not need or car since they have an option but Dolby Vision may be good for the rest of us. With HDMI 2.1 coming there may be other improvements in the works.
After reading up on Dolby Vision IQ, while it sounds interesting, it still has one major flaw - it only works for Dolby Vision content. There is a ton of HDR10 content. I think we would be better off with more advanced versions of JVC's dynamic tone mapping that tone map all HDR content better. Which is what MadVR and Lumagen do now. Everybody needs to keep raising the bar on this !
seanbryan likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off