JVC 570/RS 420 HDR Calibration assistance (Panasonic DP-ub 420, hd fury) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 52
JVC 570/RS 420 HDR Calibration assistance (Panasonic DP-ub 420, hd fury)

Hello,

I'm seeking some assistance with getting my JVC 570 settings set properly to play 4k hdr blu-rays. I'll likely hire Chadb for a professional calibration later in the year, but for now, I want to get things set up the best I can until then.

I've been reading through the forums, and while I've found a lot of good picture and gamma suggestions, I don't think a lot of them take into account Panasonic's optimum hdr optimizer feature. I'm trying to understand how to set up the JVC with having that feature in mind.

Gear I have:
JVC 570
Panasonic dp-ub420
HD Fury
Spyder 5 Express

I'm pretty confident I have my Panasonic 420 settings correct. It's the JVC settings I'm having issues with.

Panasonic 420 settings:
HDR/ color gambut output: SDR/BT 2020
HDR optimizer: On, use slider to brighten/darken imovies.

JVC Settings:

Picture Mode:
What mode should I use? Natural, cinema, hdr? Keep in mind, I do have an HD Fury.
If i use hdr, does this automatically disable the dynamic iris?

Color profile: BT.2020, standard? Assuming I should use bt.2020.

Gamma Settings:
Here's where I'm the most confused. Since I have the Panasonic 420, should I use one of the default gamma settings listed below or should I still be using custom curves such as the JAVS 3? Should I use the spyder express for a custom curve?

Gamma settings in the JVC: normal, HDR(hybrid log), hdr(st.2084), custom 1/2/3?
If I use custom, should I use the 2.2/2.4 setting? Should i use HDR (hybrid log) or HDR (st. 2084)?
For any of these gamma settings, should I be using the picture tone, dark level, and bright level recommendations for hdr from JVC's website? (https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...rs400_uhd.html)

Long post, but it really comes down to needing help understanding what I should choose for the picture setting and gamma settings for the JVC.

Really appreciate if someone can help steer me in the right direction! Thanks!

Last edited by Brandon Smith; 01-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well... Did a bit more forum searching before bed, and I think I found my answer from Dreamliner below on the gamma settings. Anyone want to 2nd his post, or have any other suggestions? That may answer my gamma question, but I'm still not sure which picture mode to use on the JVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Panasonic UB820, JVC & SDR2020

The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with Gamma D or any external devices like an HD Fury. The UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not switch to Gamma D. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle.

The UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

I also made a JVC 4K QuickStart Guide that has some tips you might find useful.

Panasonic UB820 Optimal Settings for JVC RSxxx Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (preference)

On the UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the JVC Projector:
Menu>Picture Adjust>Color Profile>BT.2020
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Gamma>Custom 1 or 2 or 3
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4

Regarding other settings like Iris and Lamp Mode, that is your preference. I chose Iris 0 and usually Low Lamp but High Lamp looks nicer. I set my user modes up for quick switching (press the User Mode before adjusting settings): User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. More about that in my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 5384 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Smith View Post
Well... Did a bit more forum searching before bed, and I think I found my answer from Dreamliner below on the gamma settings. Anyone want to 2nd his post, or have any other suggestions? That may answer my gamma question, but I'm still not sure which picture mode to use on the JVC.
The User Modes give you the most options to choose from, but as long as you use the correct colour profile, colour temperature and gamma settings, it does not matter which Picture Mode you use, as the end results will be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page