Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #1 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Epson 6050UB vs JVC NX5/NX7

Anyone with experience of these models have an opinion on the value proposition of these projectors? I have a dedicated theater with total light control and my aging Sony HW50 1080P projector. I want excellent contrast and 4K/HDR, and didn’t think the Epson would compete but I jut saw the Epson running at a theater store and it looks pretty darn nice. I can’t demo a JVC around here that I know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Anyone with experience of these models have an opinion on the value proposition of these projectors? I have a dedicated theater with total light control and my aging Sony HW50 1080P projector. I want excellent contrast and 4K/HDR, and didn’t think the Epson would compete but I jut saw the Epson running at a theater store and it looks pretty darn nice. I can’t demo a JVC around here that I know of.
I own the 6050. I have a 120 Seymour Glacier White Screen 16x9. Velvet black pit dedicated theater. The 6050 throws a sharp detailed image. HDR performance is really good . Blacks are really good. The JVC projectors are sharper and have better blacks. Higher contrast with the JVC does present an image with more depth and better shadow details. The Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update that came out for the JVC lineup in October only further increased its HDR advantage over the Epson. Brighter image overall without sacrificing specular highlights and shadow details. The HDR is much more set and forget on THE JVC. Your room conditions will really allow either projector to live up to it's full potential. The JVC has the better overall performance. If you had a non light controlled room and really needed the extra lumens maybe the Epson would fit your room better but that is not the case. The NX7 is slightly brighter than the NX5 and has the DCI-P3 COLOR filter which will give better saturation of colors and will help with HDR. Only you can decide if the price differences are worth the better performance. But the differences between all 3 are noticeable under the correct room conditions and viewing high resolution content. How close you will sit does impact how much of a difference you will see for faux 4k versus native 4k. On the typical 120 inch screen the detail brought out by the additional pixels of true 4k are readily apparent at 10 ft and closer. Further out the differences are less apparent. But regardless of viewing distance the HDR , contrast and sharpness of the JVC 4k projectors will be appreciable by most video enthusiasts. Your average viewer would notice probably only when you point it out to them. I have seen all three projectors under optimal viewing conditions and if money were not a factor I would choose the NX7.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Is it worth consider the older JVC DLA-X970R? Similar price to the Epson 6050UB and both are pixel shifters. Better contrast to the NX7 and 6059UB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it worth consider the older JVC DLA-X970R? Similar price to the Epson 6050UB and both are pixel shifters. Better contrast to the NX7 and 6059UB?
Definitely worth considering if you can find one with a warranty. The NX7 and NX5 are still at the top and the 6050 is much easier to get HDR performance from. You can get great HDR from the 970r but you need customized curves . The 790R wins for Contrast and black levels over the other projectors. It is an amazing pixel shifter.

Luminated67 likes this.
post #5 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Any opinion on how much better contrast would be on these going from a Sony HW50?
post #6 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I own the 6050. I have a 120 Seymour Glacier White Screen 16x9. Velvet black pit dedicated theater. The 6050 throws a sharp detailed image. HDR performance is really good . Blacks are really good. The JVC projectors are sharper and have better blacks. Higher contrast with the JVC does present an image with more depth and better shadow details. The Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update that came out for the JVC lineup in October only further increased its HDR advantage over the Epson. Brighter image overall without sacrificing specular highlights and shadow details. The HDR is much more set and forget on THE JVC. Your room conditions will really allow either projector to live up to it's full potential. The JVC has the better overall performance. If you had a non light controlled room and really needed the extra lumens maybe the Epson would fit your room better but that is not the case. The NX7 is slightly brighter than the NX5 and has the DCI-P3 COLOR filter which will give better saturation of colors and will help with HDR. Only you can decide if the price differences are worth the better performance. But the differences between all 3 are noticeable under the correct room conditions and viewing high resolution content. How close you will sit does impact how much of a difference you will see for faux 4k versus native 4k. On the typical 120 inch screen the detail brought out by the additional pixels of true 4k are readily apparent at 10 ft and closer. Further out the differences are less apparent. But regardless of viewing distance the HDR , contrast and sharpness of the JVC 4k projectors will be appreciable by most video enthusiasts. Your average viewer would notice probably only when you point it out to them. I have seen all three projectors under optimal viewing conditions and if money were not a factor I would choose the NX7.

I find it interesting that you recommend the JVC if money isn’t an issue (it always is) but bought a 6050UB which is the other I’m considering, which sort of implies it was “good enough”. That’s what I’m trying to get a feel for and you’d be a good person to tell since you’ve seen both and own one of them. If I can feed 4K, get good or great contrast/blacks, good motion, gold upscaling, etc from 4K eshift 6050UB, plus get an extra lamp and longer warranty (plus mount as I understand it) and it’s 5x better than my Sony HW50 for $3000 less than the JVC NX-7... that’s hard to say no to. How about when compared to the NX5?
post #7 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Is your room blacked out entirely?

What is your Screen Size, and how far from the screen do you sit?

Will you be doing 4k gaming?

------------------------------------

The main reason to take the NX-5 over the previous JVC is because of the tone mapping for streaming, or if you are a gamer that wants 4k.

The NX series are sharper, but this should really only benefit gamers or people sitting very close MOST of the time. However, the NX series might be slightly cleaner, but to me it'd still be a hard call between the NX-5 and JVC RS-540 / x790 if your decision is ONLY based on contrast.

I've seen native commercial 4k projectors WAY sharper than JVC's, and in that case it made some difference, but it wasn't dramatic. I looked at the pixels up close because I was the only there on a Tuesday morning. Some of those commercial projectors, even though they are 3 chippers, have such perfect alignment that they appeared sharper than a single chip DLP. However, they are like $50k+ projectors, so in that case I'm assuming the MFR uses a completely different alignment system. I have seen some commercial 4k projectors that weren't that sharp also, but seen a couple that were mind blowing.

I still say contrast is more noticeable than sharpness from most peoples seating distances, unless you are gaming.

The Epson will have a more aggressive Dynamic Iris than the JVC's, which only kick-in on pure black pretty much (maybe a tiny bit with a few white pixels).
This can be both good or bad at times, as DI motion will be easier detected on the Epson.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 01-19-2020 at 07:28 AM.
post #8 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I find it interesting that you recommend the JVC if money isn’t an issue (it always is) but bought a 6050UB which is the other I’m considering, which sort of implies it was “good enough”. That’s what I’m trying to get a feel for and you’d be a good person to tell since you’ve seen both and own one of them. If I can feed 4K, get good or great contrast/blacks, good motion, gold upscaling, etc from 4K eshift 6050UB, plus get an extra lamp and longer warranty (plus mount as I understand it) and it’s 5x better than my Sony HW50 for $3000 less than the JVC NX-7... that’s hard to say no to. How about when compared to the NX5?
For all the compelling arguments you made pro Epson I went with it. It delivers a very pleasing HDR and SDR image. I compared an NX5 to the 6050 prior to purchasing. This was before the DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING update. I didn't look at an NX7 because it was just out of my budget completely. I was super happy with the extra cash in my pocket from the Epson, until JVC gave the free firmware update. Then I spent more time with my friend's NX5. The HDR rarely needs any adjusting. The Epson I adjust for content and even find myself adjusting the HDR slider within a movie. I don't feel the need to do so with the JVC PROJECTORS. Because of the dynamic tone mapping I would at this time choose the JVC over the Epson. Even with the higher lamp costs. I watch about 40% HDR content. Which will only increase. The deeper blacks, better depth, better contrast, sharper image and more detailed image were all in favor of the NX5 over the 6050 back in May when the Epson came out. I just didn't feel the price difference was justified. The dynamic tone mapping IMHO justifies the higher cost along with the other picture quality pros mentioned above.

llang269 likes this.
post #9 of 300 Old 01-18-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 314
@pdoherty972 what's the screen format and fabric type?
How far is the projector from the screen, or what other distance could it be mounted at?
post #10 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Is your room blacked out entirely?
No windows, so total light control. Wall where the screen is, is painted dark brown. The rest of the walls and ceiling are a medium tan/brown.

Quote:
What is your Screen Size, and how far from the screen do you sit?

Will you be doing 4k gaming?
120” screen, 1.2 gain matte material.

Sit about 14-15 feet away. Thinking that favors the 6050UB since that’s probably a distance far enough that its 4k-shifting will probably be indistinguishable from native 4k.

Quote:
This can be both good or bad at times, as DI motion will be easier detected on the Epson.
DI motion? Dynamic Iris? Is this referring to black pulsing from the DI?

Last edited by pdoherty972; 01-19-2020 at 07:12 AM.
post #11 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
For all the compelling arguments you made pro Epson I went with it. It delivers a very pleasing HDR and SDR image. I compared an NX5 to the 6050 prior to purchasing. This was before the DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING update. I didn't look at an NX7 because it was just out of my budget completely. I was super happy with the extra cash in my pocket from the Epson, until JVC gave the free firmware update. Then I spent more time with my friend's NX5. The HDR rarely needs any adjusting. The Epson I adjust for content and even find myself adjusting the HDR slider within a movie. I don't feel the need to do so with the JVC PROJECTORS. Because of the dynamic tone mapping I would at this time choose the JVC over the Epson. Even with the higher lamp costs. I watch about 40% HDR content. Which will only increase. The deeper blacks, better depth, better contrast, sharper image and more detailed image were all in favor of the NX5 over the 6050 back in May when the Epson came out. I just didn't feel the price difference was justified. The dynamic tone mapping IMHO justifies the higher cost along with the other picture quality pros mentioned above.

Exactly the sort of posts I was hoping for that really laid out the differences and whether they’re worth it. Thanks!
post #12 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
@pdoherty972 what's the screen format and fabric type?
How far is the projector from the screen, or what other distance could it be mounted at?
Not sure what type of fabric. It’s matte material at 1.2 gain.

Projector is about 15-16 feet from the screen. Most viewing is done from the back row of seats which are at 14-15 feet, with the front row just ahead of that at about 12-13 feet.
post #13 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No windows, so total light control. Wall where the screen is, is painted dark brown. The rest of the walls and ceiling are a medium tan/brown.

Sit about 14-15 feet away. Thinking that favors the 6050UB since that’s probably a distance far enough that its 4k-shifting will probably be indistinguishable from native 4k.

DI motion?
DI stands for dynamic Iris. Some people are more susceptible to seeing the DI pumping when the scene changes from dark to bright and vice versa. I have only noticed it a handful of times when viewing content on my 6050. The DI helps with contrast and black levels. Think of it as a brief flash of bright when going from a dark scene to a lighter one.

post #14 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I would choose the JVC RS-540/x790 or NX-5 for that screen size, personally I'd probably take the RS-540 at that distance. The NX 5 is favored for tone mapping, but you'll have plenty of extra brightness to just change the aperture setting when something is too dark anyways. Though the NX-5 tone mapper could potentially help balance the image or make it contrastier looking, the Panny 420 does a good job for movies anyhow.

The extra sharpness of the NX-5 will make very little to basically no difference from that seating position. Maybe a tiny tiny bit from the front rows, but even your front rows are pretty far back. The extra contrast of the RS-540 will allow those space scenes to look a bit more vivid, the difference in contrast is significant enough to be seen even in actual scenes, not just total blackouts.

I don't see a compelling reason to go with the Epson in this case, not for that screen size and your uses. I can see the argument for either NX-5 vs RS-540, but not really for the Epson.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-19-2020 at 07:27 AM.
post #15 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13151 Post(s)
Liked: 10790
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Not sure what type of fabric. It’s matte material at 1.2 gain.

Projector is about 15-16 feet from the screen. Most viewing is done from the back row of seats which are at 14-15 feet, with the front row just ahead of that at about 12-13 feet.
I will be surprised if you do not want to move to the front row, once you have a better projector.
nathan_h likes this.
post #16 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13151 Post(s)
Liked: 10790
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I would choose the JVC RS-540/x790 or NX-5 for that screen size, personally I'd probably take the RS-540 at that distance. The NX 5 is favored for tone mapping, but you'll have plenty of extra brightness to just change the aperture setting when something is too dark anyways. Though the NX-5 tone mapper could potentially help balance the image or make it contrastier looking, the Panny 420 does a good job for movies anyhow.

The extra sharpness of the NX-5 will make very little to basically no difference from that seating position. Maybe a tiny tiny bit from the front rows, but even your front rows are pretty far back. The extra contrast of the RS-540 will allow those space scenes to look a bit more vivid, the difference in contrast is significant enough to be seen even in actual scenes, not just total blackouts.

I don't see a compelling reason to go with the Epson in this case, not for that screen size and your uses. I can see the argument for either NX-5 vs RS-540, but not really for the Epson.
With JVC's free lamp offer on the RS2000, it makes the gap between the RS1000 and RS2000 pretty small.
post #17 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 07:49 AM

If I were sitting that far back, I would take the contrast over the resolution, am certain about that. From my own seating distance, 8' to 10' (variable reclining positions) from 118" Scope, I would have to A/B it to know. From that distance, it's an easy decision other than the tone mapping and better CMD mode I guess. It can go either way, but for me personally, I'll take the higher contrast of the RS-540. Problem is sharpness is so content-dependent anyhow.

At 12+ feet, pretty much all content looks 4k at that screen size, really close to it anyhow.

post #18 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I’m in same situation. We stream all content through a roku player and my Epson 5040 sucks for hdr. I want a projector that I don’t have to fiddle with the settings for everything I watch. I want set and forget. But here is the rub. I have windows and during the day we watch sports and I hate to close the blinds. Sun dosnt hit the screen dead on but it’s bright in here. The 5040 has no problem with the ambient light for sports. I want a jvc nx7 for its hdr maping but I’m afraid during day it doesn’t have enough punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 735
For the price difference I would just go for a Epson 5050UB. You can get really good pricing on them.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #20 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
I’m in same situation. We stream all content through a roku player and my Epson 5040 sucks for hdr. I want a projector that I don’t have to fiddle with the settings for everything I watch. I want set and forget. But here is the rub. I have windows and during the day we watch sports and I hate to close the blinds. Sun dosnt hit the screen dead on but it’s bright in here. The 5040 has no problem with the ambient light for sports. I want a jvc nx7 for its hdr maping but I’m afraid during day it doesn’t have enough punch.
Dual projector setup then I guess.

post #21 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
If I were sitting that far back, I would take the contrast over the resolution, am certain about that. From my own seating distance, 8' to 10' (variable reclining positions) from 118" Scope, I would have to A/B it to know. From that distance, it's an easy decision other than the tone mapping and better CMD mode I guess. It can go either way, but for me personally, I'll take the higher contrast of the RS-540. Problem is sharpness is so content-dependent anyhow.

At 12+ feet, pretty much all content looks 4k at that screen size, really close to it anyhow.
At least near term, most content isn't 4k anyway. Streaming isn't and a lot of UHD BD's have 2k intermediates.

With all the problems the 540 has had with the iris system though, I could not recommend it.

If I were buying right now I would either save money and get the 5050 or pony up for a NX7. Like Mike pointed out, street prices and a free $600 lamp put the NX7 close enough to the NX5 to make it the obvious choice in that price range.
post #22 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually a good idea given the 5040 isn't worth very much anymore. I still use my 5030 for 1080p (or lower) TV shows.
post #23 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I wish but my ocd and bank account can’t deal with two projectors hanging in ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's two of the three, side-by side comparison by TVS Pro.

Herve likes this.
post #25 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
........street prices and a free $600 lamp put the NX7 close enough to the NX5 to make it the obvious choice in that price range.
I've been trying to follow the "official" thread on the NX5/7/9, but at 22,361 posts it's become impossible to follow - it goes off topic so often that it almost becomes useless.

Could you therefore help me, please, by pointing me to the info that describes the free $600 lamp offer to which you refer. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the NX5 or NX7. Would the lamp offer apply to the purchase of a brand new NX7 made on a discounted online site?
post #26 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAtherton View Post
I've been trying to follow the "official" thread on the NX5/7/9, but at 22,361 posts it's become impossible to follow - it goes off topic so often that it almost becomes useless.

Could you therefore help me, please, by pointing me to the info that describes the free $600 lamp offer to which you refer. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the NX5 or NX7. Would the lamp offer apply to the purchase of a brand new NX7 made on a discounted online site?
You don't want to buy from a discounted online site in general, as they may very well not be an authorized dealer. JVC may not give you any warranty in that case. But places like AVS give the same good discounts and are authorized.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post59116048
post #27 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
At least near term, most content isn't 4k anyway. Streaming isn't and a lot of UHD BD's have 2k intermediates.

With all the problems the 540 has had with the iris system though, I could not recommend it.

If I were buying right now I would either save money and get the 5050 or pony up for a NX7. Like Mike pointed out, street prices and a free $600 lamp put the NX7 close enough to the NX5 to make it the obvious choice in that price range.
All the problems with iris, that isn't that serious, losing DI on 540 isn't much, would be a bit more serious on a 440. We don't know how many problems on 540 as we don't know sample sizes, but I've seen issues reported with NX series projectors as well. NX-7 is in an entirely different price range than a 540 or the Epson, he could get a used RS-520...

NX-7 isn't a bad choice, but I'll take the contrast at his seating distance, as noted. Cannot see spending more on an NX-7 at his seating distance for his screen size, seems like a complete waste of money, unless he wants the tone mapping for streaming.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-19-2020 at 09:31 AM.
post #28 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All the problems with iris, that isn't that serious, losing DI on 540 isn't much, would be a bit more serious on a 440. We don't know how many problems on 540 as we don't know sample sizes, but I've seen issues reported with NX series projectors as well. NX-7 is in an entirely different price range than a 540 or the Epson, he could get a used RS-520...

NX-7 isn't a bad choice, but I'll take the contrast at his seating distance, as noted. Cannot see spending more on an NX-7 at his seating distance for his screen size, seems like a complete waste of money, unless he wants the tone mapping for streaming.
Doesn’t the NX5 get the tone mapping also?

So are you saying the benefits of the NX7 vs NX5 (and maybe the 6050UB) are of little benefit due to my seating distance?
post #29 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well obviously my opinion is slanted by having bad experiences with my 540. It's not just the DI either. The firmware for the lamp iris is really buggy too. Mine has always had the issue of running it's full range and grinding on startup with a specific combination of manual iris settings. I just managed to find another one recently while I was doing some testing. I suspect they all do that, it's just that not everyone is using settings that trip it up.

But my point was on the NX7, is that if you were going to consider moving up to an N series, right now it doesn't make very good sense to buy an NX5. If you can't afford one, you probably can't afford the other. We are talking serious bucks in either case no doubt. If the N series is a real stretch of the budget, then my advice to anyone would be to go with an Epson.
post #30 of 300 Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Doesn’t the NX5 get the tone mapping also?

So are you saying the benefits of the NX7 vs NX5 (and maybe the 6050UB) are of little benefit due to my seating distance?
They both have the tone mapping, the RS-540 does not, not sure if there are any new RS-540 units still floating around or not, maybe. They were in stock not all that long ago from some places.

You really don't need tone mapping on smaller screens that much for streaming, unless you just absolutely dislike making some minor aperture adjustments at the start of a stream if it's a bit dark. You'll have plenty of extra brightness in spades with a 1.2 gain 120" screen, plenty plenty.

It all boils down to tone mapping vs. higher contrast, the RS-540 has significantly higher contrast than both the NX-5 and NX-7. Everyone is going to tell you the newer projector is better, and in some ways it might be, but at your seating distance it's not going to be much different other than the tone mapping.
MartyMcFlyy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page