how would you upgrade these two rooms? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
how would you upgrade these two rooms?

I'm a millennial so cringe when I tell you I use no screen, I have white walls, I don't have curtains or light control, and I love that the projector has built in speakers... have you passed out yet?

so right now I'm using a LG HU80KA. I wanted something with more punch on the giant wall I display on. from what I gather reading all weekend white walls are the worst, bigger screen size is horrible to deal with, and no light control makes for a complete disaster , that sound about right? ok from what I gather the only upgrade worthwhile is to go more lumen??? is that correct? I will consider painting the wall a color but from what I hear you basically want to use a screen, I'm not sure how much painting the wall would gain but I'm open to it.. I love the simplicity of the blank wall that doesn't have a permanent screen attached.. I'm a minimalist as well so.... yeah its a crazy situation. ( screen size is about 185-195" )

so Im not a video connoisseur ( obviously ) but I wanted something that hopefully was a little more crisp and brighter then the LG I have now, basically an upgrade from what I have.. to make things worse I think I like the idea of laser which I don't want to deal with $500 bulb replacements and second I believe I need more lumen which doesn't fair well to bulb projector anyways right?

also from what I gather really most DLP chips are all sorta the same,, they work with their limitations which is the TI chip then they tweak.. obviously I wasn't wanting to spend 20k give I'm not a movie buff, I also just watch stuff from the Apple TV box as its simple...

really just looking for your opinion what to go for an upgrade as when I watch a movie I would like a better experience then what I have, which maybe isn't that bad but if I can upgrade to the next thing I'll be satisfied

----------------------------------------------------

second room is a small dining room area, same again with no light control, white walls, only thing with this one is I have smaller screen size and dimensions in the room.. using the LG I get a 90' screen size, so was hopefully wanting something again a little sharper, maybe the lens would get me a tad bigger screen size and let would be maybe brighter to use a different color mode, as right now I'm pretty bright as I feel the cinema modes are dull so I don't think I would be happy with say a NX5 s the lumen output is so low compared to what I already have?? was thinking to use a lens shift so I can get less gray border around the image as I don't use a pole on the mount as again.. I'm about form over function so hopefully having something with a lens shift could decrease the great border as its quite distracting..

was thinking maybe the new viewsonic coming out with laser and lens shift with I think 2900 lumen? again opinions wanted as I use this room half the time to watch movies and wanted a more vivid picture since its closer to wall, smaller image so was hoping for this to be a better picture

if photos help I'll load some up so you guys can see what Im working with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ok, don't see an edit button for the first post??

here's some photos of the rooms. the white wall on is the smaller room, where I want the meter image, and shows how horrible the gray border is right now.. I would consider a small pole on the mount but not very long as I like the projector up high and out of the way.

thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2683158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2683160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2683162  
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The lumen output of the lg looks like this, not sure what settings you're using. Light output in specifications is often incorrect

If you want more light output and solid state(laser) you're gonna wanna look at something like the Viewsonic LS750WU. There are some Epson laser projectors as well but I would stick with DLP

You could paint that wall a matte gray and stick with a very bright projector. Basically the darker the shade the lower your black level gets, you could dump 10000 lumens on a black wall and have a higher contrast image and you dont need to frame it ;] You don't necessarily need a screen, its just that getting a smooth matte wall finish takes work, but it can provide a good image. A white projection surface in that enviroment is never going to have much pop

For the second room, can you put a tv in this space?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 200
how would you upgrade these two rooms?

If you want the image to pop more, you need to get rid of the light reflections caused by all the white surfaces around the image. Replacing your projector with a brighter one will not do much to improve the image on this regard, unless you feel the image is too dim as it is. I haven’t read your whole post, but the easiest solution is a set of black curtains that can cover walls and ceiling at the same time. This will allow you to improve contrast dramatically and still enjoy your white room just the same when the curtains are pulled back. If you’re interested in doing this, I’ll give you more specific information on how to do it.

I agree with you when you say there’s nothing more elegant than a plain wall for a screen. If so far you’re pleased with the whiteness and smoothness of your wall, then leave it be. You have more relevant issues to deal with in your movie space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)

Last edited by descalabro; 02-10-2020 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You're also not doing yourself any favors shooting a 185"+ image when the projector is rated for a max image of 150".
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Sing View Post
I'm a millennial so cringe when I tell you I use no screen, I have white walls, I don't have curtains or light control, and I love that the projector has built in speakers... have you passed out yet?

so right now I'm using a LG HU80KA. I wanted something with more punch on the giant wall I display on. from what I gather reading all weekend white walls are the worst, bigger screen size is horrible to deal with, and no light control makes for a complete disaster , that sound about right? ok from what I gather the only upgrade worthwhile is to go more lumen??? is that correct? I will consider painting the wall a color but from what I hear you basically want to use a screen, I'm not sure how much painting the wall would gain but I'm open to it.. I love the simplicity of the blank wall that doesn't have a permanent screen attached.. I'm a minimalist as well so.... yeah its a crazy situation. ( screen size is about 185-195" )

so Im not a video connoisseur ( obviously ) but I wanted something that hopefully was a little more crisp and brighter then the LG I have now, basically an upgrade from what I have.. to make things worse I think I like the idea of laser which I don't want to deal with $500 bulb replacements and second I believe I need more lumen which doesn't fair well to bulb projector anyways right?

also from what I gather really most DLP chips are all sorta the same,, they work with their limitations which is the TI chip then they tweak.. obviously I wasn't wanting to spend 20k give I'm not a movie buff, I also just watch stuff from the Apple TV box as its simple...

really just looking for your opinion what to go for an upgrade as when I watch a movie I would like a better experience then what I have, which maybe isn't that bad but if I can upgrade to the next thing I'll be satisfied

----------------------------------------------------
In the large room, I would paint the partial ceiling directly above the screen, a flat black and then I would put up black curtains along the window wall and between the screen area and the kitchen area, using something like these:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ividers/15603/

The actual vaulted ceilings could probably remain as is, or maybe be painted a light grey. The curtains, when retracted and tied off, would be unobtrusive, but would give great light control and a boost in contrast when extended.

The white screen wall could remain as is or maybe be painted with a similar coloured screen paint formulation.

Lamp based projector choices would run from a TK850/TK800M or a UHD52ALV and here's that projector on a 200in wall:

An Optoma ZK507, JVC LX-NZ3, BenQ LK952 would all be 4K HDR laser projectors to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page