Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 02-12-2020, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JVC RS20 to NX5

I currently have an RS20 and love the projector.

Been running it for like 8 years or so.

I keep reading about the loss of contrast in the NX5 compared to the RS540.

I'm guessing (but I'm not sure which is why I post this) that the contrast on the NX5 is going to be much better than my RS20 so it won't really matter to me contrast-wise since I'm used to the RS20.

Would that be a fair assessment?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-12-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post

I'm guessing (but I'm not sure which is why I post this) that the contrast on the NX5 is going to be much better than my RS20 so it won't really matter to me contrast-wise since I'm used to the RS20.

Thanks!
The RS1000/NX5 is in a totally different category than the RS20. Every single aspect is better on the RS1000/NX5.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 13221 Post(s)
Liked: 10838
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Thanks!
The RS1000/NX5 easily beats the RS20 in all areas. The difference will be night and day.
Azekecse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS1000/NX5 easily beats the RS20 in all areas. The difference will be night and day.
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured
post #5 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7169 Post(s)
Liked: 7205
Quote:

Thanks!
You will be in for a HUGE upgrade, I do see you comparing the RS540U and NX5:

Keep in mind to the naked eye, many can not see the contrast loss. Just a FYI, 540U/X790R is actually still a current unit.

RS1000/NX5 advantages over the RS540/X790
***Improved lens.
***Beefed up lens support, so that lens memory is more accurate. This is why you see so much difference in weight between the two models.
***Native 4K.
***Cleaner,crisper image with more depth perception due to true 4K.
***Dynamic tone mapping. ( This is probably the most noticeable difference )
***Installation memory that allows you to store more settings.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Thanks!
thx for the pm. looking into it. was getting close to replacing my 4-5 year old rs57u with nx5 but now im unsure if nx5 or nx7 would be better.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads03 View Post
thx for the pm. looking into it. was getting close to replacing my 4-5 year old rs57u with nx5 but now im unsure if nx5 or nx7 would be better.
No problem man

I would have gone with an NX7, but out of my budget. I was initially looking to do an RS520 or 540 but then kept reading and since I tend to keep my projectors a LONG time I decided on the NX5.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
No problem man

I would have gone with an NX7, but out of my budget. I was initially looking to do an RS520 or 540 but then kept reading and since I tend to keep my projectors a LONG time I decided on the NX5.
have you setup the nx5 and used it yet or waiting for delivery?
post #9 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Upgraded from my Epson 6040UB, which I thoroughly enjoyed and now I have had the NX-5 for about two weeks,, once I upgraded the f/w to 3.10 for DTM, it is an amazing projector in a light controlled room, without a lot of menu adjustments. Then, I ran across a heck of a deal for the NX-7, which has WCG and an extra lamp, etc., so I took it, because I couldn't afford it previously either. It is arriving soon, at which time I'll be returning the NX-5, hopefully someone will give it a great home, as well as my 6040UB.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX5/Elite Lunette 2 120"

Last edited by Azekecse; 02-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was in the same boat (but coming from an even older RS4800.)
When I factored in the need to upgrade AVR to allow 4K pass-through and a 4K Bluray the RS540 just seemed to make the most sense.
It was a tough decision though.
I figured I'd spend ~3-4K on the projector and wait for an even better native 4K in a few years.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #11 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtdr View Post
I was in the same boat (but coming from an even older RS4800.)
When I factored in the need to upgrade AVR to allow 4K pass-through and a 4K Bluray the RS540 just seemed to make the most sense.
It was a tough decision though.
I figured I'd spend ~3-4K on the projector and wait for an even better native 4K in a few years.
So... it depends on the AVR.

What I'm going to do is just run mine in ARC and let the projector do the switching.

If I would have had to get a receiver as well then I wouldn't have been buying anything just yet.

So you could connect your Bluray and Roko or whatever directly to the projector and you'd be good

Is arriving tomorrow by "end of day" according to FedEx.
xrtdr likes this.
post #12 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:

What I'm going to do is just run mine in ARC and let the projector do the switching.

If I would have had to get a receiver as well then I wouldn't have been buying anything just yet.

So you could connect your Bluray and Roko or whatever directly to the projector and you'd be good

Congratulations. Mine is supposed to arrive by end of day tomorrow also!

Would you mind walking me through that? I am not sure what ARC means. The only option I could think of besides getting a new AVR is to run the Bluray HDMI to the projector and the Bluray HDMI audio to the receiver. But then I'm not sure how I'd get 4K streaming from AppleTV or Roku.

I've got CAT wiring in the walls and baluns on each end. The company that put in my theater in 2012 no longer exists. I can call someone else but thought maybe I could get some quick advice here.
post #13 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Congratulations. Mine is supposed to arrive by end of day tomorrow also!

Would you mind walking me through that? I am not sure what ARC means. The only option I could think of besides getting a new AVR is to run the Bluray HDMI to the projector and the Bluray HDMI audio to the receiver. But then I'm not sure how I'd get 4K streaming from AppleTV or Roku.

I've got CAT wiring in the walls and baluns on each end. The company that put in my theater in 2012 no longer exists. I can call someone else but thought maybe I could get some quick advice here.
Well I'm glad you asked me that.

I was all confident because I hooked up my 4k tv with a soundbar with the "ARC" output or Audio Return Channel.

But looks like my receiver only does optical and the projector (from what I can see) does not have an ARC output... nor does my Roku.

Sigh... so looks like I might be looking for a receiver after all... my wife is gonna kill me :/
post #14 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Sigh... so looks like I might be looking for a receiver after all... my wife is gonna kill me :/
Sorry, but that me laugh.

My plan was to get a UBD (such as Panasonic U8xx) that has 2 HDMI outputs. Run the HDMI2.x to the projector (hoping that the CAT cabling in the walls supports 4k...one guy that came out to the house said it would) and run the 2nd HDMI1.4 ouput to the receiver for audio.

I don't know how to get 4K AppleTV or Roku yet with this setup.

I can't stomach the thought of dropping another $1200 or so to replace a receiver that works perfectly other than no 4K switching.
post #15 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My plan was to get a UBD (such as Panasonic U8xx) that has 2 HDMI outputs. Run the HDMI2.x to the projector (hoping that the CAT cabling in the walls supports 4k...one guy that came out to the house said it would) and run the 2nd HDMI1.4 ouput to the receiver for audio.

I can't stomach the thought of dropping another $1200 or so to replace a receiver that works perfectly other than no 4K switching.
I'm with you man. I love my Pioneer SC-37, but sigh.

Gonna take a look at that Panasonic though.
post #16 of 37 Old 02-13-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I would plan on buying the AVR. A good HDBaseT system costs about as much as the AVR. A cheap one often times costs more, when you factor in the time for returning it and buying a good one. You don't have to spend $1,200 to get an AVR to take care of what you need.
xrtdr likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would plan on buying the AVR. A good HDBaseT system costs about as much as the AVR. A cheap one often times costs more, when you factor in the time for returning it and buying a good one. You don't have to spend $1,200 to get an AVR to take care of what you need.
Yeah I'm looking at the Denon X3500H seems to have a lot of good reviews.

It's an older model, but heck my Pioneer is WAY older
xrtdr likes this.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Yeah I'm looking at the Denon X3500H seems to have a lot of good reviews.

It's an older model, but heck my Pioneer is WAY older
I have a few different receivers including the Denon x3400h, it's good, but I had to disable the volume OSD or it was causing a chroma error. It also won't accept my longer HDMI run (which is mainly fiber HDMI), even though the long HDMI 4k works directly on the JVC, though that might be some settings I need to fiddle with again for the Denon (didn't try very hard). You might not have any of those issues on the NX projectors. The x3500h is barely an older model, it's fine. I also have an Onkyo 676 (newer one is 686/696) which doesn't have that issue, the Onkyo worked more flawlessly with the OSD stuff and has a better UI. However, the Onkyo has a less neutral sound and adds a slight harshness to vocals which I didn't like. They are both similar power, if you don't mind the slightly colored sound of the Onkyo, which I wasn't able to EQ or otherwise tune out (tried everything).
xrtdr and Imatk like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 02-14-2020 at 02:38 PM.
post #19 of 37 Old 02-14-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I have a few different receivers including the Denon x3400h, it's good, but I had to disable the volume OSD or it was causing a chroma error. It also won't accept my longer HDMI run (which is mainly fiber HDMI), even though the long HDMI 4k works directly on the JVC, though that might be some settings I need to fiddle with again for the Denon (didn't try very hard). You might not have any of those issues on the NX projectors. The x3500h is barely an older model, it's fine. I also have an Onkyo 676 (newer one is 686/696) which doesn't have that issue, the Onkyo worked more flawlessly with the OSD stuff and has a better UI. However, the Onkyo has a less neutral sound and adds a slight harshness to vocals which I didn't like. They are both similar power, if you don't mind the slightly colored sound of the Onkyo, which I wasn't able to EQ or otherwise tune out (tried everything).
I know this is a projector thread, but speaking of AVRs to pass 4K video, what do you folks think of the Denon S95OH? 7.2, 8 HDMI in, 2 HDMI out, 125 W per channel, MSRP $599?
post #20 of 37 Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
I know this is a projector thread, but speaking of AVRs to pass 4K video, what do you folks think of the Denon S95OH? 7.2, 8 HDMI in, 2 HDMI out, 125 W per channel, MSRP $599?
I wouldn't personally bother with anything less than the 3400/3500/3600, but cannot answer the question as there are too many variables without going into it all. Best to ask the audio guys in other threads, few of us keep up with new receiver models once we are done with the initial purchase. Again, the Denons handle 4k just fine, but I think they purposefully nerf'd some of the OSD options on the lower-end models, not sure about the latest newer versions of each iteration. You can get a refurb 3400h really cheap, look on Ebay.
xrtdr likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #21 of 37 Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Thanks!
I recently purchased NX5 and still own jvc rs25
In favor of NX5:
- much greater brightness
- much higher sharpness
- overall superior image even with 1080p bluray.
Much better with regards to watching sports on hdtv.
As for black and contrast, I think they are similar, but I am unable to measure them

JVC DLA NX5 - JVC DLA RS25
post #22 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Mike, I need an Hd extender set anyway for the long run of cat6 to the projector (25-30ft est).
But I guess I do need to get the new AVR as well.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:

So did you get your Nx5? How is it?
And have you configured for any 4K sources and sound?

My RS540 is in, looks great but only in 1080p so far. Panasonic UB420 enroute from Crutchfield on sale. Still looking at AVR options.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So did you get your Nx5? How is it?
And have you configured for any 4K sources and sound?

My RS540 is in, looks great but only in 1080p so far. Panasonic UB420 enroute from Crutchfield on sale. Still looking at AVR options.
I did!

It looks fantastic!

I had to get a new cable even though the cable I got from Amazon said it was 4k my Roku was only seeing 4k at 30fps not 4k at 60fps.

Netflix will only give you 4k programming if you can get it to 60 fps. So I went to Best Buy and got a Rocketfish cable... works perfectly now.

In fact I swapped all the cables to the same brand.

It's louder than I'm used to, but I need to set it to low lamp and see if that helps. Just not sure how it will look with low lamp.. have to try it.

It's a huge mother too.

The only negative I can report at this point is the HDMI switching is VERY slow.

It was recommended I buy an optical HDMI cable but the one referenced is 150 bucks! So I'm going to just live with the slow switching for now.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM

So does that mean you got the new Denon? Just curious, how long is your run from the receiver to the projector, an is it "in wall?"
I may be out of my league if I can't use the existing wiring.
Part of the reason I went with the eshift is it is the same dimensions and weight as my old unit, so mounting didn't change.
Mine is quieter than the old in low lamp. Louder in high. Still don't know about eshift noise as I don't have 4k up and running.

Congrats.
post #26 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archipaolo View Post
I recently purchased NX5 and still own jvc rs25
In favor of NX5:
- much greater brightness
- much higher sharpness
- overall superior image even with 1080p bluray.
Much better with regards to watching sports on hdtv.
As for black and contrast, I think they are similar, but I am unable to measure them
They are close enough, that you probably can't see a difference.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Mike, I need an Hd extender set anyway for the long run of cat6 to the projector (25-30ft est).
But I guess I do need to get the new AVR as well.
No you don't. You want a premium certified HDMI cable. At30' and less they are not very expensive.
xrtdr likes this.
post #28 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
No you don't. You want a premium certified HDMI cable. At30' and less they are not very expensive.
Hmm, so I just need to fish a new premium HDMI through. The CAT is already in place behind dry wall and ceiling. Would be so much easier just to use the extenders. But if a new HDMI cable is better I will look into it. I wonder why the installers (who are out of business now) didn't use HDMI for the run back in 2012? Too expensive 8 yeas ago?

Edit: I just found this video online. I like the HDMI extender option he went with, but I suppose a fiberoptic HDMI (or premium as suggested above) may also be good.

Last edited by xrtdr; 02-17-2020 at 01:04 PM.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so I just need to fish a new premium HDMI through. The CAT is already in place behind dry wall and ceiling. Would be so much easier just to use the extenders. But if a new HDMI cable is better I will look into it. I wonder why the installers (who are out of business now) didn't use HDMI for the run back in 2012? Too expensive 8 yeas ago?

Edit: I just found this video online. I like the HDMI extender option he went with, but I suppose a fiberoptic HDMI (or premium as suggested above) may also be good.
If you had run HDMI in 2012, most likely, you would be replacing it now. HDMI standards changed.
post #30 of 37 Old 02-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
If you had run HDMI in 2012, most likely, you would be replacing it now. HDMI standards changed.
I understand that. My question is why they chose to do the HDMI over ethernet back then versus HDMI. And now, since the ethernet is already in whether HDMI over ethernet is still a viable solution for 4k (that video seems to say it is) versus a good HDMI2.0 cable of fiberoptic HDMI.

Sorry to belabor this, especially on a projector thread but I need the simplest and most reliable solution as I am not so tech or mechanical oriented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page