Sony projector lines help needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony projector lines help needed

I have an 8 year old Sony VPL-VW95ES with only about 3500 hours on it. Noticed some lines on the left side and the bottom part of the image. Is this a lamp issue or something more serious. Please help...thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	2684430   Click image for larger version

Name:	image 3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	2684432   Click image for larger version

Name:	image 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	2684434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciotime View Post
I have an 8 year old Sony VPL-VW95ES with only about 3500 hours on it. Noticed some lines on the left side and the bottom part of the image. Is this a lamp issue or something more serious. Please help...thanks.
A ground loop can cause vertical lines. Do you still get the lines when the projector is on but you don't have any input source? Are the lines only present on one source? If it isn't a ground loop , my second guess would be the LCD panel is now damaged. Not worth the money to fix it if that is the issue. If you can find a cheap spare lamp you could try to replace it but vertical lines generally are not a lamp issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13152 Post(s)
Liked: 10790
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Move your lens shift and see if the lines move with the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Guys thanks for the reply...I did what you asked me to try.....

1) I disconnected the PJ from the blu ray player and the lines are still there on the blank screen

2) Yes the lines also moved when I did the lens shift...since it shifts using the sample grid the lines were not present. But when it went back to the blank screen the lines are there.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Guys thanks for the reply...I did what you asked me to try.....

1) I disconnected the PJ from the blu ray player and the lines are still there on the blank screen

2) Yes the lines also moved when I did the lens shift...since it shifts using the sample grid the lines were not present. But when it went back to the blank screen the lines are there.
If the lines shifted with the lens shift, then that confirms it is the projector. Now you have a decision to make, as in how much money do I want to put into a 7 year old projector. In good working order, the projector is probably not worth over $800.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If the lines shifted with the lens shift, then that confirms it is the projector. Now you have a decision to make, as in how much money do I want to put into a 7 year old projector. In good working order, the projector is probably not worth over $800.
Thanks...my thoughts as well. Just out of curiosity what do you think is wrong and needs to be fixed or replaced? It's not a lamp issue right?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks...my thoughts as well. Just out of curiosity what do you think is wrong and needs to be fixed or replaced? It's not a lamp issue right?
The vertical lines look like something wet ran down the lens streaking it. If internal, that would require a lense swap. You can buy on the bay for $350. The horizontal lines are something in the projector. Just looks like too much money to me to put into the projector.
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The vertical lines look like something wet ran down the lens streaking it. If internal, that would require a lense swap. You can buy on the bay for $350. The horizontal lines are something in the projector. Just looks like too much money to me to put into the projector.
@ciotime If something ran down the lens, then adjusting the focus should cause a visible change on how the lines are projected. Also, to me the lines look too regular to be anything physical inside the lens. What is much more common is issues caused by poor contact anywhere between the image processing board and the SXRD (LCD) panels or, worse yet, an issue with the image processing board itself. The lamp is not the issue for sure. So, the only (slight) hope other than spending too much money is to disconnect and reconnect those inner cables, but there's the chance it will get worse, and it's nothing you should do unless you're confident about disassembling a complex projector. Also, I may be wrong. I say you should sell it as defective and look for a new one.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page