Basement Renovation, time for theater! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By Lilboots

post #1 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Basement Renovation, time for theater!

Hi All,
Been a while. Happy to be back and in the middle of a basement renovation to include a projector and ~120" screen.
Looking for some feedback. Was all set to buy a VPL-VW295ES, but came across a deal for the 695ES for ~$6k. Good deal?
Not married to Sony so I will definitely consider other options. I know just enough to know that I don't know much!
Setup will be in a room shared with a bar. dark gray drop ceiling, dark espresso wood panels behind the screen.
Don't really know what screen to buy. The Da-Lite cinema contour was suggested.
Here is a rendering from the bar area. Will be used for both live sports and movies.
Not much ambient light. Lighting will be dimmable LED wafers.

So, need a screen, a projector to start. Will worry about audio once I select the projector and screen.
Reading through some of these threads is overwhelming with information.

Looking for a good deal on a native 4k setup, and it does not need to be the least expensive, just want value if I can find it.
I want to make a decision soon as construction is entering the finishing phase soon and I want to be ready to go!

Also should note that sources will be DirecTV, Roku Ultra (hardwired), 4k blu-ray (TBD).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2685412  

Samsung UN78JU7500 78" Curved 4k LCD TVSamsung UN65JS9000 65" Curved 4k LCD TVPioneer SC-81 Receiver (2)Direct TV HR24 (a bunch)

Last edited by ParsonsBri; 02-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsBri View Post
Hi All,

Been a while. Happy to be back and in the middle of a basement renovation to include a projector and ~120" screen.

Looking for some feedback. Was all set to buy a VPL-VW295ES, but came across a deal for the 695ES for ~$6k. Good deal?

Not married to Sony so I will definitely consider other options. I know just enough to know that I don't know much!

Setup will be in a room shared with a bar. dark gray drop ceiling, dark espresso wood panels behind the screen.

Don't really know what screen to buy. The Da-Lite cinema contour was suggested.

Here is a rendering from the bar area. Will be used for both live sports and movies.

Not much ambient light. Lighting will be dimmable LED wafers.

So, need a screen, a projector to start. Will worry about audio once I select the projector and screen.

Reading through some of these threads is overwhelming with information.

Looking for a good deal on a native 4k setup, and it does not need to be the least expensive, just want value if I can find it.

I want to make a decision soon as construction is entering the finishing phase soon and I want to be ready to go!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BP
What is your budget for projector and screen together? What percentage of movie, TV, Gaming and Sports. Watching most of the time with lights on or off or some ambient lighting? The 695 for sale on here is a good deal for people who still trust and love Sony projectors. I am not one of those people. Too many panel degradation issues that Sony has refused to acknowledge. Just do a Google search.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JeffR1 likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #3 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
What is your budget for projector and screen together? What percentage of movie, TV, Gaming and Sports. Watching most of the time with lights on or off or some ambient lighting? The 695 for sale on here is a good deal for people who still trust and love Sony projectors. I am not one of those people. Too many panel degradation issues that Sony has refused to acknowledge. Just do a Google search.

I would put it like this. I am willing to spend to a point. Don't want to go crazy, but this is the project I always wanted to do, but just didn't have the coin. Now I do.

For reference, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Sony 295ES ($4.5k) and the Da-Lite Cinema Contour ($2.3k) based on a quote from a custom installer. so that was ~$7k
I would spend more if it was really worth it, but not a ton more. That was before I started doing some research and found out projectors can be had for a little less than MSRP if you look.

Use would be split between live TV 60% and movies 40% (total guess). there will be a 65" TV behind the bar opposite the screen so sometimes the projector wont be on unless there is a game or something. When watching TV, lights will be on. I have the lighting set essentially to 3 zones. 1. Lights in front of the screen 2. Lights in the seating area 3. lights in the bar area.
When watching movies I expect completely dark or very, very dim. Almost no ambient lighting. Only one window well (glass block) that will likely be covered with either blinds or curtain.

I have been in the CE business for 30 years, but have lost touch on projector tech so I really need the help.

Samsung UN78JU7500 78" Curved 4k LCD TVSamsung UN65JS9000 65" Curved 4k LCD TVPioneer SC-81 Receiver (2)Direct TV HR24 (a bunch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I must admit i am a JVC guy. I also have a dedicated theater with great light control. Your room appears tobe more of a mixed media room. Might i suggest a bright dlp projector like the new benq tk850. Dlp is really great for fast motion like sports. Imo is beats all the other front projector technologies by more than a little. It does have a relatively short throw however. There are many good choices out there today. Good Luck

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #5 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would put it like this. I am willing to spend to a point. Don't want to go crazy, but this is the project I always wanted to do, but just didn't have the coin. Now I do.

For reference, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Sony 295ES ($4.5k) and the Da-Lite Cinema Contour ($2.3k) based on a quote from a custom installer. so that was ~$7k

I would spend more if it was really worth it, but not a ton more. That was before I started doing some research and found out projectors can be had for a little less than MSRP if you look.

Use would be split between live TV 60% and movies 40% (total guess). there will be a 65" TV behind the bar opposite the screen so sometimes the projector wont be on unless there is a game or something. When watching TV, lights will be on. I have the lighting set essentially to 3 zones. 1. Lights in front of the screen 2. Lights in the seating area 3. lights in the bar area.

When watching movies I expect completely dark or very, very dim. Almost no ambient lighting. Only one window well (glass block) that will likely be covered with either blinds or curtain.

I have been in the CE business for 30 years, but have lost touch on projector tech so I really need the help.
As you probably already know you marry the screen and date the projector. A good screen you can have for 10-20 years where most people turn their projector over every 3-5 years. Personally I would look at the JVC native 4k projector lineup. In October they just were given a free firmware update to upgrade from static tone mapping to dynamic tone mapping. They were already a preferred projector by many of the folks on here before that update. The DTM update has gotten stellar reviews. I included a review.

JVC has been the leader in blacks and contrast for a while now. Sony has excellent motion processing and great lens which gives a sharp image. The JVC 4K projectors have really bridged the lens gap and motion. JVC is a close second now. Some would argue it is even now. JVC NX5/RS1000 and JVC NX7/RS2000 are within your budget with the right dealer. The NX7 would put you over your budget with a similarly priced screen. I have included a well regarded screen report in the links.

With the NX7/RS2000 you get a filter which reduces lumens output by about 10% but gives you close to 100% of the DCI-P3 Color Space makes HDR really saturated and pop off of your screen.

The NX5 doesn't have the filter and gets about 85% of the DCI-P3 color space. You have a smaller screen so I don't think the loss in lumens would affect picture quality . The JVC would generally need to be run at medium/high for HDR content and low/medium lamp for SDR.

Another option for you could be Epson 5050/6050. It puts out 2600 lumens. More affordable option which would allow you to splurge on an ALR screen. My concern with sports and television viewing is with more lights on you may wash the picture out somewhat if you were to go with the 1900 lumens the JVC is spec'd out to for brightness and just a white projection screen. Even with the Epson projectors which are not native 4k but still look like 4k a white screen might get a little washed out with a a white screen with overhead can lights on. Lights off would not be an issue for either projector with a white screen.

The Screen Innovations Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen is generally considered to still be the best ALR screen for rejecting light from overhead not really good for lights from the sides. It is not cheap but it is an amazing screen. 1.4 gain so it helps with projectors that aren't as bright like the JVC. The NX5 along with this projector will be right at the top of your budget of not slightly over but would work great for when the room lights from above are on and when the room is dark. The Espon projectors work very nicely with the SI Black diamond as well. The JVC is the better projector, by how much is open for debate.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/scr...screen-review/

https://www.accucalav.com/accucal_fr...screen_report/

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...mapping-update

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...ter-projector/

Tristan Jones
post #6 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As you probably already know you marry the screen and date the projector. A good screen you can have for 10-20 years where most people turn their projector over every 3-5 years. Personally I would look at the JVC native 4k projector lineup. In October they just were given a free firmware update to upgrade from static tone mapping to dynamic tone mapping. They were already a preferred projector by many of the folks on here before that update. The DTM update has gotten stellar reviews. I included a review.

JVC has been the leader in blacks and contrast for a while now. Sony has excellent motion processing and great lens which gives a sharp image. The JVC 4K projectors have really bridged the lens gap and motion. JVC is a close second now. Some would argue it is even now. JVC NX5/RS1000 and JVC NX7/RS2000 are within your budget with the right dealer. The NX7 would put you over your budget with a similarly priced screen. I have included a well regarded screen report in the links.

With the NX7/RS2000 you get a filter which reduces lumens output by about 10% but gives you close to 100% of the DCI-P3 Color Space makes HDR really saturated and pop off of your screen.

The NX5 doesn't have the filter and gets about 85% of the DCI-P3 color space. You have a smaller screen so I don't think the loss in lumens would affect picture quality . The JVC would generally need to be run at medium/high for HDR content and low/medium lamp for SDR.

Another option for you could be Epson 5050/6050. It puts out 2600 lumens. More affordable option which would allow you to splurge on an ALR screen. My concern with sports and television viewing is with more lights on you may wash the picture out somewhat if you were to go with the 1900 lumens the JVC is spec'd out to for brightness and just a white projection screen. Even with the Epson projectors which are not native 4k but still look like 4k a white screen might get a little washed out with a a white screen with overhead can lights on. Lights off would not be an issue for either projector with a white screen.

The Screen Innovations Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen is generally considered to still be the best ALR screen for rejecting light from overhead not really good for lights from the sides. It is not cheap but it is an amazing screen. 1.4 gain so it helps with projectors that aren't as bright like the JVC. The NX5 along with this projector will be right at the top of your budget of not slightly over but would work great for when the room lights from above are on and when the room is dark. The Espon projectors work very nicely with the SI Black diamond as well. The JVC is the better projector, by how much is open for debate.

https://youtu.be/aKRbS_hkd8U

A lot to process here! If that SI BD 1.4 short demo is true, wow! Thanks for the feedback. I will keep looking.

post #7 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A lot to process here! If that SI BD 1.4 short demo is true, wow! Thanks for the feedback. I will keep looking.
That screen is absolutely true. Been around for over ten years. The latest version is even better.

Tristan Jones
post #8 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I shoot a Sony 385ES on to a Silver Ticket 2.35, 125" screen and love the picture I get. I would definitely go 4K and the deal on the 695 sounds like a good price to me. But Sonys definitely have had some issues as was mentioned. I've been fortunate with mine so far, but only have about 500 hours and 2 years on it. Hopefully mine will keep going for years to come. But the Silver Ticket screen is a great screen and cost me all of $450 or so dollars on Amazon. I had a Da-Lite prior and while they certainly make a great product, I'm sure happy with my ST screen and spending way less and still seeing an outstanding picture! Just my experiences.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #9 of 25 Old 02-15-2020, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I shoot a Sony 385ES on to a Silver Ticket 2.35, 125" screen and love the picture I get. I would definitely go 4K and the deal on the 695 sounds like a good price to me. But Sonys definitely have had some issues as was mentioned. I've been fortunate with mine so far, but only have about 500 hours and 2 years on it. Hopefully mine will keep going for years to come. But the Silver Ticket screen is a great screen and cost me all of $450 or so dollars on Amazon. I had a Da-Lite prior and while they certainly make a great product, I'm sure happy with my ST screen and spending way less and still seeing an outstanding picture! Just my experiences.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
You do have a dedicated theater with no ambient light and dark room colors. The OP situation is a little different. I am not convinced a white screen is ideal for his multi use space. Your theater looks amazing.

luv2fly3 likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #10 of 25 Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You do have a dedicated theater with no ambient light and dark room colors. The OP situation is a little different. I am not convinced a white screen is ideal for his multi use space. Your theater looks amazing.

You have been a great source of information, but my brain has a limited database.

For clarification, the lights near the screen will be on a separate switch, so I can minimize the ambient light that way.
Decor will be relatively dark but there will be moderate ambient light when watching live TV.
Not so much during movies.

Would love to find a deal on an SI screen. Not much out there, unless I am looking in the wrong places.

post #11 of 25 Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You have been a great source of information, but my brain has a limited database.

For clarification, the lights near the screen will be on a separate switch, so I can minimize the ambient light that way.

Decor will be relatively dark but there will be moderate ambient light when watching live TV.

Not so much during movies.

Would love to find a deal on an SI screen. Not much out there, unless I am looking in the wrong places.
I sent you a PM. Hopefully it will help. Your room will work well with a white screen when all your lights are off. Naturally when watching sports and tv you want lights on so you can socialize and not make your guests feel like they are underground. LOL. That is why I suggested the SI black diamond. It is not inexpensive but for your situation it is an attractive solution. It is a fantastic screen.

Tristan Jones
post #12 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like it’s down to the Sony 695ES vs the JVC NX7. Both have good reasons to buy.
Never thought I would grind this hard on a decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Looks like it’s down to the Sony 695ES vs the JVC NX7. Both have good reasons to buy.
Never thought I would grind this hard on a decision!

I just switched from Sony after 3.5 years to a JVC and the contrast and deep blacks are a revelation for me. I did not consider another Sony due to the widespread panel degradation issues. I just sent you a PM with more info that may help.

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #14 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
I just switched from Sony after 3.5 years to a JVC and the contrast and deep blacks are a revelation for me. I did not consider another Sony due to the widespread panel degradation issues. I just sent you a PM with more info that may help.

Ross
Thanks for sharing your experience. Very insightful and helpful.

Tristan Jones
post #15 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Very insightful and helpful.

I think your suggestion of the Epson 5050/6050 could be great in his room where there will be ambient light during sports that are predicted to be 60% of the viewing. I've been testing a 5050 alongside my JVC and there is so much to like about it, especially at its price. If I had bought the Epson first and had never seen the blacks of the JVC I am pretty sure I would have kept it and been quite happy. Some really nice projector options these days!

Ross

post #16 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think your suggestion of the Epson 5050/6050 could be great in his room where there will be ambient light during sports that are predicted to be 60% of the viewing. I've been testing a 5050 alongside my JVC and there is so much to like about it, especially at its price. If I had bought the Epson first and had never seen the blacks of the JVC I am pretty sure I would have kept it and been quite happy. Some really nice projector options these days!

Ross
Agreed I own the 6050. You get about 85% of the JVC NX7 performance with the 5050/6050. The JVC does have better blacks and contrast. The Dynamic Tone Mapping provides a great HDR experience, better than my Epson, not night and day, but definitely better.

The best part of the DTM update is not having to adjust HDR content on a viewing by viewing basis by using the slider on the Epson projector. I agree that with 60% of the OP's viewing being sports the 6050 or 5050 would do a great job. I just think there will be more movie viewing of 4K HDR material once the OP sees what the NX7 can do. I don't have to tell you. LOL. The JVC has the higher upside regarding picture quality due to the black levels, contrast and HDR performance.

rossandwendy likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #17 of 25 Old 02-19-2020, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Quote:

I just picked up my NX7 about 11 days ago, and do not see a medium lamp mode, only low and high?

I would also second taking a strong look at the 5050ub. Having gone from the 5040 to now the NX7 in a 100% light controlled, dark painted theater room, the NX7 definitely suffers more with any type of ambient lighting. I feel like my 5040 is probably 85 percent of the performance of the NX7 and I would have to imagine the 5050 is even closer than that, but of course that is all subjective and I also tend to favor a brighter image. I need to get the 5040 back out and do a side by side.

I would also agree that if he does pick up the NX7, he will certainly start watching more movies and 4k HDR content, I know I have.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-19-2020, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
I just picked up my NX7 about 11 days ago, and do not see a medium lamp mode, only low and high?

I would also second taking a strong look at the 5050ub. Having gone from the 5040 to now the NX7 in a 100% light controlled, dark painted theater room, the NX7 definitely suffers more with any type of ambient lighting. I feel like my 5040 is probably 85 percent of the performance of the NX7 and I would have to imagine the 5050 is even closer than that, but of course that is all subjective and I also tend to favor a brighter image. I need to get the 5040 back out and do a side by side.

I would also agree that if he does pick up the NX7, he will certainly start watching more movies and 4k HDR content, I know I have.
That was a very insightful and valuable comparison. Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback. Do you use a white screen or an ALR screen? What screen and white is the gain of your screen? Thanks in advance for your reply. I believe you are correct about the NX7 not having a medium lamp mode.

Tristan Jones
post #19 of 25 Old 02-19-2020, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That was a very insightful and valuable comparison. Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback. Do you use a white screen or an ALR screen? What screen and white is the gain of your screen? Thanks in advance for your reply. I believe you are correct about the NX7 not having a medium lamp mode.

Not a problem at all, I see a lot of people considering making the jump from the 5040 to either the NX5 or NX7 and a lot of your posts helped during my research as well. After I get more time with the NX7 and maybe do a couple of side by sides, I plan on sharing my VERY novice opinions on both.

I use a white AT screen, 120" Seymour XD (.95 gain I believe) with the projector lens about 14.5' away.
post #20 of 25 Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi folks, For those who have seen/had the 695es and the NX7, how is the brightness between the 2

I was able to see the 695 in action on a 120inch 1.1 gain screen, on high lamp it was perfect, I would actually like it a little brighter, so i'm very concerned setting up my 140 inch AT woven screen (1.0 gain) with the 695. I was planning on changing to a higher gain, like a 1.3 non AT screen, but concerned the blacks will suffer with this

Ive heard people saying the NX7 is FAR brighter than the Sony even though it has only 100lumens more ? and contrast is night and day.

If anyone can help me will be much appreciated, its a big purchase for me and want to make the right decision.

Thankyou
post #21 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilboots View Post
Hi folks, For those who have seen/had the 695es and the NX7, how is the brightness between the 2

I was able to see the 695 in action on a 120inch 1.1 gain screen, on high lamp it was perfect, I would actually like it a little brighter, so i'm very concerned setting up my 140 inch AT woven screen (1.0 gain) with the 695. I was planning on changing to a higher gain, like a 1.3 non AT screen, but concerned the blacks will suffer with this

Ive heard people saying the NX7 is FAR brighter than the Sony even though it has only 100lumens more ? and contrast is night and day.

If anyone can help me will be much appreciated, its a big purchase for me and want to make the right decision.

Thankyou
If you thought the brightness of the 695 on high lamp was fine and as you said would even take a little brighter, on a 1.1 gain 120" screen, then that same projector is going to be a LOT darker on the lower gain AT screen and larger size of 140" (the brightest woven screen I know of tests at actual .94, many AT screens claiming higher are far lower than that such as Silver Ticket). Especially if you plan to watch HDR content. For a screen the size of 140", the best overall picture quality and brightness would be a combo of NX7 plus Stewart ST130 G4 screen. The JVC blacks and contrast will still be excellent on that screen, better than the Sony according to reviews and forum members.

Ross

Last edited by rossandwendy; 02-23-2020 at 11:13 AM.
post #22 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you thought the brightness of the 695 on high lamp was fine and as you said would even take a little brighter, on a 1.1 gain 120" screen, then that same projector is going to be a LOT darker on the lower gain AT screen and larger size of 140" (the brightest woven screen I now of tests at actual .94, many AT screens claiming higher are far lower than that such as Silver Ticket). Especially if you plan to watch HDR content. For a screen the size of 140", the best overall picture quality and brightness would be a combo of NX7 plus Stewart ST130 G4 screen. The JVC blacks and contrast will still be excellent on that screen, better than the Sony according to reviews and forum members.

Ross
I agree 100% with this post nx7 and st130 G4

Tristan Jones
post #23 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
If you thought the brightness of the 695 on high lamp was fine and as you said would even take a little brighter, on a 1.1 gain 120" screen, then that same projector is going to be a LOT darker on the lower gain AT screen and larger size of 140" (the brightest woven screen I know of tests at actual .94, many AT screens claiming higher are far lower than that such as Silver Ticket). Especially if you plan to watch HDR content. For a screen the size of 140", the best overall picture quality and brightness would be a combo of NX7 plus Stewart ST130 G4 screen. The JVC blacks and contrast will still be excellent on that screen, better than the Sony according to reviews and forum members.

Ross
Okay, thank you, I will see if we actually get the ST130 in Australia XD

Cheers for the reply
rossandwendy likes this.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-14-2020, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

So construction is coming along. Made some video decisions. I went with the JVC RS2000 and the Seymour Screens Matinee Black 120”.

Now I need some audio. I have the subs, sides and rear surrounds handled. Need new fronts.
I like the JBL Studio 580 and 520c for fronts and center. Any feedback? Also need a receiver/amp to drive them. Hoping to do Atmos but need to learn a little more about it.

Here are some progress pic’s. I ran a quick test with the JVC projector on the wall with 2 samples of the Seymour screens and it looked great. Can’t wait until we get this installed next week.

post #25 of 25 Old 03-14-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So construction is coming along. Made some video decisions. I went with the JVC RS2000 and the Seymour Screens Matinee Black 120”.

Now I need some audio. I have the subs, sides and rear surrounds handled. Need new fronts.
I like the JBL Studio 580 and 520c for fronts and center. Any feedback? Also need a receiver/amp to drive them. Hoping to do Atmos but need to learn a little more about it.

Here are some progress pic’s. I ran a quick test with the JVC projector on the wall with 2 samples of the Seymour screens and it looked great. Can’t wait until we get this installed next week.

Have you looked at the Klipsch 8000?Rated at 98 decibels for sensitivity and 8 ohms. Rated at 97 decibels for sensitivity and 8 ohms for the matching center RP 504C. You can't go wrong with the JBL's either but they are 6 ohms and 90 decibels for sensitivity. Just a little more power needed to hear the JBL sing.

I really the signature sound of the Klipsch horn loaded tweeter really makes dialogue sound natural for voices , really projects into a room. The copper woofer really give that midrange some dynamic pop. Just my two cents.

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-sp...ipsch-rp-8000f

The room looking stunning!! Absolutely stunning!!

If you aren't looking for separates, the Denon 6500 is hard to beat. You can run 7.2.4 without any additional amplification. I highly suggest 4 Atmos speakers probably ones designed for in ceiling in a suspended ceiling tiles. If you go with the Klipsch I don't really think separates would be required since they are able give you dynamic punch using less power.

Tristan Jones

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 03-14-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page