Question for HTPC/MadVR users - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SirMaster
  • 1 Post By zombie10k

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question for HTPC/MadVR users

Hi all,

After a few months of seeing various posts about how many people swear by HTPC/MadVR setups for HDR tone mapping etc, it's made me wonder if I should put together an HTPC for that purpose.

My hesitation is I've been down that road in the past and came away very frustrated. I used an HTPC with Kodi for several years, but between iffy 3D playback support, audio devices that would become deselected upon restarting, and constant pings for windows 10 updates, I felt like I was spending more time troubleshooting the PC than watching movies.

I'm currently running a Vero 4k+ that I'm mostly happy with, but there's no clear timeline for when it will get HDR tone mapping, and whether that feature will be competitive with MadVR.

Tl;DR: Are people using HTPCs still running into issues with 3D, audio devices that reset themselves and annoying update prompts, or is it possible to setup an HTPC that truly feels like a dedicated appliance?

Also, for JVC users, how much better is dynamic mapping than a well setup static curve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
Hi all,

After a few months of seeing various posts about how many people swear by HTPC/MadVR setups for HDR tone mapping etc, it's made me wonder if I should put together an HTPC for that purpose.

My hesitation is I've been down that road in the past and came away very frustrated. I used an HTPC with Kodi for several years, but between iffy 3D playback support, audio devices that would become deselected upon restarting, and constant pings for windows 10 updates, I felt like I was spending more time troubleshooting the PC than watching movies.

I'm currently running a Vero 4k+ that I'm mostly happy with, but there's no clear timeline for when it will get HDR tone mapping, and whether that feature will be competitive with MadVR.

Tl;DR: Are people using HTPCs still running into issues with 3D, audio devices that reset themselves and annoying update prompts, or is it possible to setup an HTPC that truly feels like a dedicated appliance?

Also, for JVC users, how much better is dynamic mapping than a well setup static curve?
Maybe ask in the Home Theater Computers forum? You might get more answers there.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...&share_type=sf

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500

Last edited by MDesigns; 02-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Maybe ask in the Home Theater Computers forum? You might get more answers there.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...&share_type=sf

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Completely missed that subforum. Reposted there. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 693
I guess it depends on how much you know about PC operation in general and how much work you put into a setup at the start to get everything set right and locked in place.

Personally I much prefer playing my UHD films from my HTPC than I would through another device.

I feel like I much better customize my flow and such to my own needs.

I definitely don't get any issues with audio devices resetting or anything like that. I don't really ever update the video drivers as there is no good reason to. As far as Windows updates I have them silenced and deferred for such a long time. I might go in and do an update once a year or so just to keep reasonably up to date and when I have time to resolve any possible issues that might crop up form an update. Plus by the time I actually update any issues that the update might bring are already worked out and documented by others on forums.
giomania likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5610 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:

hi, if you have a JVC and haven't seen UHD content with MadVR yet, it's a light year ahead of the best of the static curves and the Panasonic UB820. It's hard to believe how incredible it looks when set up right. There is no going back now.

I have a huge 3D library, it's easier to use my dedicated Media players for 3D playback. currently using the M9702 and also use my Mede8ter for that purpose as well. The HTPC is primarily for 2D BD upscale -> UHD and UHD HDR content.

I use Kodi front end -> MPC-HC and use a Microsoft media center remote control. it feels like an appliance to me.
giomania likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 397
There are no issues with 3D and MPC HC/BE, at least that I've come across, or with windows updates. Maybe others have examples.

Nvidia's latest drivers no longer support 3D (frame packing), so you either have to use an older driver or get an amd card. Madvr developement is being done on nvidia, and madvr could in the future use some features that amd does not
post #7 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I guess it depends on how much you know about PC operation in general and how much work you put into a setup at the start to get everything set right and locked in place.

Personally I much prefer playing my UHD films from my HTPC than I would through another device.

I definitely don't get any issues with audio devices resetting or anything like that. I don't really ever update the video drivers as there is no good reason to. As far as Windows updates I have them silenced and deferred for such a long time. I might go in and do an update once a year or so just to keep reasonably up to date and when I have time to resolve any possible issues that might crop up form an update. Plus by the time I actually update any issues that the update might bring are already worked out and documented by others on forums.
I used to work in tech support and I've built a lot of pcs, so I'm comfortable with implementing complex setups.

My issue before was that many of the workarounds to basic issues weren't consistent. Even with silencing/delaying windows updates, I'd get hit with notifications every couple of weeks. Sometimes Kodi would fail to launch or launch in the background. The audio devices was perhaps the most annoying, and that's something that I know is inherent to windows where it tends to reset the audio device list population every time you restart, and sometimes even when waking from sleep.

On top of that, I personally wasn't a fan of the OSD UI that MPC-HC provided (it never showed anything more than a single line progress bar, no estimated end time etc).

It's frustrating because aside from tone mapping, I'm 100% happy with OSMC and Vero, which I've found to be more stable and streamlined than my experimentation with HTPCs.

In the past I've built secondary PCs using discarded parts from my main system. Whenever I've got enough parts together for a full build I might have to play with this again.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

Would you mind sharing what motherboard/video card combo you're using? I know I'm not the only person who's had regular issues with audio devices resetting under windows, so perhaps some cards and/or motherboards are more prone to resetting their audio device order than others?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Would you mind sharing what motherboard/video card combo you're using? I know I'm not the only person who's had regular issues with audio devices resetting under windows, so perhaps some cards and/or motherboards are more prone to resetting their audio device order than others?

Well the motherboard is irrelevant as the audio is done by the GPU HDMI. I have used various nvidia GPUs over the years but currently an RTX 2060.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page