Keep my Epson 6040 or upgrade to JVC DLA-NX7R? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #1 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Keep my Epson 6040 or upgrade to JVC DLA-NX7R?

I'm considering upgrading my Epson projector to the JVC. I have a light controlled room with two rows of seating. Furthest row is 17 feet away and the closest is 10 feet. I watch a fair amount of Hulu and occasionally Blue Ray movies.

The screen is a Vutec Silverstar which I will be upgrading as I damaged the screen accidentally. Ceiling and walls are dark.

I hate the idea of buying another bulb but not sure I could get the performance with a laster and or LED at this time.

Throw distance of the projector is going to be at around 17 feet.

Thanks and really appreciate your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Just faced the same dilemma. Upgrade, it’s next level if within your budget. Just my 2 cents.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #3 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 67
That’s a big upgrade. It will be awesome if you go through.

However,I would probably save more and shoot for the NX9 or a future “8k” and/or laser projector. (For a huge jump)

You have a pretty good projector now, unless you’re not happy with the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post
That’s a big upgrade. It will be awesome if you go through.

However,I would probably save more and shoot for the NX9 or a future “8k” and/or laser projector. (For a huge jump)

You have a pretty good projector now, unless you’re not happy with the picture.

Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of the NX9 and 8k but that's pushing the envelope. I'm blessed to be able to enjoy this hobby but that's up there. Do you think it's worth the difference to get the 8K projector? The 8k TV's I have seen look pretty darn good.

Last edited by steve shafer; 02-29-2020 at 05:34 AM.
post #5 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shafer View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of the NX9 and 8k but that's pushing the envelope. I'm blessed to be able to enjoy this hobby but that's up there. Do you think it's worth the $3500 more to get the 8K projector? The 8k TV's I have seen look pretty darn good.

I think that since you already have faux k (shift 4K) , you’ll get a much bigger jump with 8k .. also, your current projector is fine (unless you think it isn’t)

So you can just save up for longer and get a much bigger jump. Heck, by the time you look again there will be newer choices as well as the ones we’re talking about will be cheaper.

post #6 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of the NX9 and 8k but that's pushing the envelope. I'm blessed to be able to enjoy this hobby but that's up there. Do you think it's worth the $3500 more to get the 8K projector? The 8k TV's I have seen look pretty darn good.

One big advantage of upgrading is getting 18gbps HDMI if you game or use a HTPC on the projector.

Then again.. I’d be looking to upgrade (if I could wait) when we get hdmi 2.1 48gbps ports on a projector instead.

post #7 of 147 Old 02-24-2020, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
I'm considering upgrading my Epson projector to the JVC. I have a light controlled room with two rows of seating. Furthest row is 17 feet away and the closest is 10 feet. I watch a fair amount of Hulu and occasionally Blue Ray movies.

The screen is a Vutec Silverstar which I will be upgrading as I damaged the screen accidentally. Ceiling and walls are dark.

I hate the idea of buying another bulb but not sure I could get the performance with a laster and or LED at this time.

Throw distance of the projector is going to be at around 17 feet.

Thanks and really appreciate your comments.
The RS2000/N7 will be a dramatic upgrade over your Epson. The JVC will be a noticable upgrade in every aspect. The only advantage the Epson will have is that it can be brighter.
post #8 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I recently upgraded from a 5040ub to the NX7. It's only been a few weeks so I haven't been able to watch or tinker as much as I'd like, but here are a few of my thoughts in a nutshell. I feel like the 5040 with panasonic ub420 is about 85 percent of the total performance of the NX7. It's true the NX7 is pretty much better in every way (sharpness, contrast, black level, etc) aside from brightness, something I really missed at first, but as the weeks have gone by I can watch most 4k HDR content, with filter, in low mode and I no longer feel like I am missing any brightness. (120" screen, projector lens mounted 14.5' from the screen, dark walls and ceilings, front row 9.5' away).

I mentioned the 5040 being 85 percent of the performance, however I feel like it's still 95 percent of the "experience". When I bought the 5040 3 years ago, it was sort of a place holder until native 4k projectors were a reality for my budget. Turned out I was very happy with its performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, if you told me I had to go back to it, I probably really wouldn't be overly upset assuming I got my money back. That being said, the NX7 is everything I hoped it would be. The color is amazing, the motion is great, the black levels are better, the sharpness of the picture is really outstanding, HDR is fantastic... It really is everything I wanted in a projected image and looks like a 120" TV on the wall. I am happy with my purchase and if you have the disposable income for it, I say go for it, but for those who have a 5040 or better and would really have to stretch to get it, I honestly don't think you're missing out on that much.

I know that might not be popular, but that's my experience so far. I should also add that I'm not an expert in picture quality or projector performance and I am positive that the NX7 can do more than what I've been able get out of it, this is just the opinion of someone who still owns and likes both projectors.

Last edited by tdoom15; 02-25-2020 at 01:10 AM.
post #9 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
I recently upgraded from a 5040ub to the NX7. It's only been a few weeks so I haven't been able to watch or tinker as much as I'd like, but here are a few of my thoughts in a nutshell. I feel like the 5040 with panasonic ub420 is about 85 percent of the total performance of the NX7. It's true the NX7 is pretty much better in every way (sharpness, contrast, black level, etc) aside from brightness, something I really missed at first, but as the weeks have gone by I can watch most 4k HDR content, with filter, in low mode and I no longer feel like I am missing any brightness. (120" screen, projector lens mounted 14.5' from the screen, dark walls and ceilings, front row 9.5' away).

I mentioned the 5040 being 85 percent of the performance, however I feel like it's still 95 percent of the "experience". When I bought the 5040 3 years ago, it was sort of a place holder until native 4k projectors were a reality for my budget. Turned out I was very happy with its performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, if you told me I had to go back to it, I probably really wouldn't be overly upset assuming I got my money back. That being said, the NX7 is everything I hoped it would be. The color is amazing, the motion is great, the black levels are better, the sharpness of the picture is really outstanding, HDR is fantastic... It really is everything I wanted in a projected image and looks like a 120" TV on the wall. I am happy with my purchase and if you have the disposable income for it, I say go for it, but for those who have a 5040 or better and would really have to stretch to get it, I honestly don't think you're missing out on that much.

I know that might not be popular, but that's my experience so far. I should also add that I'm not an expert in picture quality or projector performance and I am positive that the NX7 can do more than what I've been able get out of it, this is just the opinion of someone who still owns and likes both projectors.
I really appreciate the input and honest opinions. I'm leaning towards upgrading to the 7 and possibly 9. I take it for granted watching movies and TV in the room and have been happy with the Epson but would like to improve upon it.

Here's some pictures of the room. I had to include one of the bar area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6C56DFA-6489-4DAE-A92F-C79C2FC65860_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	2689872   Click image for larger version

Name:	9162693F-790A-4B46-A1B6-69E3968CE33C_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	2689874   Click image for larger version

Name:	39E2CC7E-A31E-4F33-A286-36E79B05CA8B_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	2689876  
post #10 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I really appreciate the input and honest opinions. I'm leaning towards upgrading to the 7 and possibly 9. I take it for granted watching movies and TV in the room and have been happy with the Epson but would like to improve upon it.

Get the JVC. This room deserves it lol. Or you can wait until CEDIA in September to see if new projectors get announced.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #11 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:

Honestly I would wait until cedia and see if JVC announces anything new in the way of projectors. I do believe like another poster mentioned that that room deserves a JVC projector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #12 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate your honest opinion. Have you watched content with the new HDR Dynamic tone mapping firmware update 3.10?

Tristan Jones
post #13 of 147 Old 02-25-2020, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I had to include one of the bar area.
Are you sure that you need movie theater there? ;-)
I was looking for picture to hang in my bar counter - now I have one - thank you for idea
post #14 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:

As a few Epson own, TW9400 which is the 6050 in the US I think image wise it’s exceptional at the price but it’s not a JVC NX7 by any means. You have clearly spent $$$$ on the room itself so it would be a crying shame not to give it the kind of projector it deserves.
Bandyka likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #15 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
As a few Epson own, TW9400 which is the 6050 in the US I think image wise it’s exceptional at the price but it’s not a JVC NX7 by any means. You have clearly spent $$$$ on the room itself so it would be a crying shame not to give it the kind of projector it deserves.
I concur, that room deserves the NX-9, w/o a doubt. I stretched out my budget for the NX-7, but if I had the disposable income, I would buy the NX-9.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
edbrooks56 likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #16 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13445 Post(s)
Liked: 11091
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Honestly I would wait until cedia and see if JVC announces anything new in the way of projectors. I do believe like another poster mentioned that that room deserves a JVC projector.

If there are new models, I think they will be RS1020, RS2020 and RS3020. Same projectors with minor changes. No way will there be major changes, since we have just started this cycle with these new models.
llang269 and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #17 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If there are new models, I think they will be RS1020, RS2020 and RS3020. Same projectors with minor changes. No way will there be major changes, since we have just started this cycle with these new models.
Agreed, what really could they offer that isn’t already there.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #18 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I appreciate your honest opinion. Have you watched content with the new HDR Dynamic tone mapping firmware update 3.10?

I have, it was pretty much the first thing I did when I brought the projector home. I wish I would have spent some time watching more movies before hand but I was too impatient. All of my thoughts above are based on running the NX7 with the ub420 tone mapping off, with JVC frame by frame and color filter on in low lamp.
post #19 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Agreed, what really could they offer that isn’t already there.

Hdmi 2.1 @Higher than 18gbps, high refresh rates?

Mostly useful for PC or gaming.

post #20 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. But they have to offer some incremental improvements to entice buyers. Thinking maybe contrast improvement would be some low hanging fruit. Also some tweaking of the DTM. But agreed there will not be any new JVC projectors.

Tristan Jones
post #21 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you think they can add? Maybe 8k eshift. Other than that, I cannot see anything that will be worth waiting 1 year for
post #22 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
What do you think they can add? Maybe 8k eshift. Other than that, I cannot see anything that will be worth waiting 1 year for
I think improved contrast might be worth the wait depending upon what you are using right now.

jorgebetancourt likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #23 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think improved contrast might be worth the wait depending upon what you are using right now.

I don't know how noticeable that would be. It took them a decade to get contrast as high as it is on the eshift models. But that improvement might steer some. I have waited from January to March for new models. That's a long wait if you need something within 6 months.
post #24 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:

My thoughts pretty much. I went from the contrast king JVC X9500 to the 6040 ( because I couldn't get the 9500 back) and the Epson really surprised me. Apart from the contrast difference it is as you say 85-90% there, in fact I feel it handles HDR better. Now having seen the new crop of JVC I had the opportunity to upgrade to the N7-NX9 from the 9500 but I didn't feel the urge as I didn't want to give up the contrast. Now that I don't have that contrast anymore anyways I am just really happy with the Epson until a native laser 4K comes out. This is my opinion as I did love me Epson LS10K and since JVC has gone backwards contrast wise I no longe feel the urge as there is only the sharpness difference but at what cost... 8K on the NX9.. nah seen it nothing special over 4K TBH.
Of course if the budget allows go for the N7 but otherwise the Epson is unbeatable value and performance wise outstanding.
Aztar35 and Luminated67 like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 02-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.
post #25 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 PM

You can always continue to wait for the latest and greatest, that will always be on the horizon. The JVC NX series is next level esp with DTM. I loved my Epson 6040 and it would probably satisfy 85% of the populas, imho. The black levels on the JVC NX are impeccable, however if you don’t have a totally light controlled room or a very large screen, that’s totally a different story, in which case I would go with Epson.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited by Azekecse; 03-03-2020 at 04:31 AM.
post #26 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^And the 6050 handles HDR even better.

post #27 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But they have to offer some incremental improvements to entice buyers. Thinking maybe contrast improvement would be some low hanging fruit. Also some tweaking of the DTM. But agreed there will not be any new JVC projectors.

I agree, JVC and also the rest of the projector manufacturers have to offer picture improvements, and or new features. My point is, I just don't expect anything surprising or ground breaking.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #28 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
I concur, that room deserves the NX-9, w/o a doubt. I stretched out my budget for the NX-7, but if I had the disposable income, I would buy the NX-9.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I agree...seems like the NX9 would be a better fit for your room!
post #29 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
If it is like the 1080P projectors, a slight increase in native contrast. May a slight improvement in light output, but that would probably require a more powerful lamp, which in turn would require more airflow, meaning higher noise floor.
post #30 of 147 Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I don't know how noticeable that would be. It took them a decade to get contrast as high as it is on the eshift models. But that improvement might steer some. I have waited from January to March for new models. That's a long wait if you need something within 6 months.
I agree Blee. While I welcome any improvement in contrast, even increasing native by 10,000 is not going to make anybody go wow, what a difference. If looking for that, you probably need to wait three or four years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page