Is it worth it to buy a used venue type projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MJ DOOM
  • 1 Post By bdht

post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it worth it to buy a used venue type projector?

We may be wanting to upgrade our 1-2 year old high end business projector as the brightness (3500lm) just isn't there for our venue but we have a very very low budget.
I'm looking at these Panasonic 6k+ lumen WUXGA projectors on ebay like the PT-DZ680 and they can be had for about $400 - $700 including shipping which is worth the cost in bulbs alone.

Is it wise to purchase a used high brightness DLP or LCD projector? Or should we plop down $4k for a new one?

I have no experience with low end venue style projectors.

Everyone knows 1+1=10

Last edited by naps1saps; 02-25-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 298
The main precautions would be, can you find bulb replacements($350 for 2 new lamps on pureland supply), deal with the higher power use(750w for that projector shouldnt be an issue), heat output, and fan noise, as its going to need to use both lamps on full power for the highest brightness. DLP is probably a better option than lcd at that brightness though due to the heats effect on the chip, that panasonic has water cooling for the dmd, havent seen that before pretty cool.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I had a random ticket to fix a loby projector at a theater and the thing was projecting a Yellow tint so I think that one was an LCD. So I know what you mean about trusting DLP for longevity.

Thinking about it some more, I think we may benefit more by converting the screen to a dark high gain screen like they did here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...een-paint.html

I've noticed our screen is a bit too lit up by the stage lights so going brighter may not be the best solution.

Everyone knows 1+1=10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 24
An ALR paint like Silver Fire can definitely make a big difference, especially when combined with a brighter projector.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Heat management will be a major PITA IMHO.

Furman IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1), Sony UBP-X800 & S5500RF(PAL), Apple-64GB, Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass) > Epson-LS10500/Carada1.4, Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor > Classé CA-2200 & CA-5200, two Zamp v.3 > Paradigm S8v.2, C5, ADP3, S2, Servo15v2, CI Pro P-80A 7.4.1
post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've had mixed luck with older projectors, circa 2007. Two have been very good, my main projector only has 1500 hours total, the other has 14k+ hours with no issues. One other came with a broken lens and was not a 1080p projector. It should have gone back but at the price I kept it for parts and spare bulbs. The last one I bought has been spotty when changing lenses, likely dirty contacts.

If you buy named brand, high end, dlp projectors, you will likely be OK. But there will be a "hassle" factor. Shipping is the biggest issue, imho. Some of these are very heavy projectors. If just thrown in a cardboard box they will not arrive in working condition. I'd suggest trying to find a projector that you can see working and then take home with you via local pickup. If that is not possible try and find one with a road case which will protect it better. Also, the lens must be shipped separately, never with the lens installed. Established AV dealers/recyclers (think Babylon Solutions or similar) have provided me the best result.

Another issue is bulb type. The xenon bulb units are very cheap these days but the bulbs are upwards of $2k or about $1/hour. The older HID/UHLP units can usually be relamped for $100/bulb if you just replace the bulb in the oem cage. If you buy a new cage, especially one of the same brand they can run much more.

Finally, be careful with lenses. Make sure that whichever lens comes with your projector, or that you buy separately fits your venue. Good luck!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by naps1saps View Post
We may be wanting to upgrade our 1-2 year old high end business projector as the brightness (3500lm) just isn't there for our venue but we have a very very low budget.
I'm looking at these Panasonic 6k+ lumen WUXGA projectors on ebay like the PT-DZ680 and they can be had for about $400 - $700 including shipping which is worth the cost in bulbs alone.

Is it wise to purchase a used high brightness DLP or LCD projector? Or should we plop down $4k for a new one?

I have no experience with low end venue style projectors.
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/P...p/V11H735020-N
Frost likes this.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
What they said... If you have $2K I'd go this way if the lumens is enough...
post #9 of 11 Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Hi,

Some of my views are different from those of some of the previous posters:

- I completely agree that if you're buying used high lumen projectors, better buy DLP, although most of these DLP have a slower colour wheel which can cause RBE on video content visible to some people; not an issue I'd care much about if this is for business-related purposes.

- You don't have to worry about heat management issues unless you use the projector in a small room, and even there it's mostly a matter of setting the air conditioning at a suitable temperature. These Panasonic projectors are outstanding machines in every regard. You can even check the lamp and exhaust fan temperatures on the menu.

- As long as the seller ships it properly, there's not much risk of damage. These projectors are essentially block shapes without relevant weak spots, except for the lens. And for the PT-DZ680 and similar, the lens is almost fully inside the projector, which makes it easier to protect by simply filling the area around it leaving the lens untouched at all times. Separating the lens from the projector would require a second box, or an unobtrusive space in the same box, which I don't recommend. I've had several projectors shipped to me, including a 15,5Kg JVC from the US to Europe. It was packed properly and it arrived just fine. I also got a Panasonic PT-DZ570E from the UK to Portugal, with its lens on. Properly packed, arrived fine. I got a Projection Design Cineo 3+, the padding blocks were loose inside, it also had 2 extra bulbs in the same box, so evidently it arrived all broken. It doesn't take a genius to pack these things, but I suggest you check the history of the seller. Those who sell lots of these projectors know how to ship them properly.

- ALR screens and paints can give reasonably good results, but not at the low price you want to pay for. So, I suggest you look for ways to reduce stage and ambient lighting instead of worrying about the screen.

Besides Panasonic, I suggest you look at Hitachi, and also Christie and Nec sell the same Hitachi business projectors but with a different brand stamp on them.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #10 of 11 Old 03-03-2020, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I think I saw that Epson. I'm just a bit concerned about the Laser engine because most I've seen are permanent and can't be replaced so if you want to use it for 10years+ you're out of luck however we would probably use it at most 8 hours/week so it would probably be fine.

Everyone knows 1+1=10
post #11 of 11 Old 03-03-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by naps1saps View Post
I think I saw that Epson. I'm just a bit concerned about the Laser engine because most I've seen are permanent and can't be replaced so if you want to use it for 10years+ you're out of luck however we would probably use it at most 8 hours/week so it would probably be fine.
In 10 years youll be able to get used 10k lumen laser 3chip dlp for under a grand so I wouldnt worry about it
bobpaule likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page