Upgrading Sony VPL-HW30 - Sony again? VPL-VW295ES? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By ack_bk
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By Luminated67
  • 1 Post By jefny

post #1 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Upgrading Sony VPL-HW30 - Sony again? VPL-VW295ES?

I like to upgrade my Sony VPL-HW30. Main reasons to upgrade: probably need to buy a new lamp eventually, assuming tech made progress to provide appreciative better image, and 4k. Frankly, I will not have many 4k sources. I get movies though Netflix BD mail (which does not have 4k), xfinity (no 4k), and streaming (some 4k).
Nevertheless, I thought getting a 4k projector probably makes sense, given the fact that I keep apparently projectors for 7 years.

With that, it appears that the Sony VPL-VW295ES is the lowest priced true 4k projector?
I am assuming pretty much everything will be better with VPL-VW295ES compared to VPL-HW30?

Also, could I keep my (old) Dalite 110” HCCV screen (16.5’ throw distance)

Should I look at other models?
Also, VPL-VW295ES appears to be about two years old. Any concerns about new model coming out soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post
I like to upgrade my Sony VPL-HW30. Main reasons to upgrade: probably need to buy a new lamp eventually, assuming tech made progress to provide appreciative better image, and 4k. Frankly, I will not have many 4k sources. I get movies though Netflix BD mail (which does not have 4k), xfinity (no 4k), and streaming (some 4k).

Nevertheless, I thought getting a 4k projector probably makes sense, given the fact that I keep apparently projectors for 7 years.

With that, it appears that the Sony VPL-VW295ES is the lowest priced true 4k projector?

I am assuming pretty much everything will be better with VPL-VW295ES compared to VPL-HW30?

Also, VPL-VW295ES appears to be about two years old. Any concerns about new model coming out soon?
JVC NX7 or JVC NX5 would be the better projectors at the moment IMHO although more expensive than the Sony you suggested. They can be found for significantly less than MSRP. Better contrast, better black levels, superior HDR performance.

If you don't watch 4K content why are you looking at 4K projectors? It may involve replacing your AVR and HDMI cables. A new bulb is a small expense and you seem to be perfectly fine with 1080P.

How close do you sit to your current screen? What size and material? What is your throw distance? Do you have total light control and dark room conditions, i.e. is your room painted in darker colors or black velvet?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
llang269 and rossandwendy like this.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
JVC NX7 or JVC NX5 would be the better projectors at the moment IMHO although more expensive than the Sony you suggested. They can be found for significantly less than MSRP. Better contrast, better black levels, superior HDR performance.

If you don't watch 4K content why are you looking at 4K projectors? It may involve replacing your AVR and HDMI cables. A new bulb is a small expense and you seem to be perfectly fine with 1080P.

How close do you sit to your current screen? What size and material? What is your throw distance? Do you have total light control and dark room conditions, i.e. is your room painted in darker colors or black velvet?

I have a Dalite 110” HCCV screen. 16.5’ throw distance. Sitting distance is about 16ft. Light controlled space. I have blue-grey walls and dark grey ceiling. Shaded side windows. But I watch most at night.

I think my AVR should be ok (Marantz SR7007). Replacing cables, possibly yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I have a Dalite 110” HCCV screen. 16.5’ throw distance. Sitting distance is about 16ft. Light controlled space. I have blue-grey walls and dark grey ceiling. Shaded side windows. But I watch most at night.

I think my AVR should be ok (Marantz SR7007). Replacing cables, possibly yes.
Thank you for answering my questions. The High Contrast Cinema Vision screen isn't recommended for 4K. Too much texture and vertical lines. 4K resolution will really bring out the inferiority of that screen material so you will probably need a new screen as well. What is the main reason you want a new 4K projector? Your room will work with Sony or JVC at probably up to 130 inch screen 16x9.

You sit way too far back to appreciate the resolution uptick to 4K. You would need to be at 10 ft from 110 inch screen to even begin to really appreciate the 4K resolution difference. HDR would be the main benefit if you are unable or unwilling to sit closer. In that case JVC with their dynamic tone mapping would be the clear choice for you. Your 7007 should be able to pass a 4K signal.

rossandwendy likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks. My main reason for 4k was the online sources. More a nice to have to be ready to consume 4k and not needing ot upgrade later.

Sitting 10ft woudl be possible. But woudl be a whole new experience. I sometimes feel that I am to close currently. but understand logic....

As a side topic: Is my screen actually ok for my current 1080p projector?
post #6 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
thanks. My main reason for 4k was the online sources. More a nice to have to be ready to consume 4k and not needing ot upgrade later.

Sitting 10ft woudl be possible. But woudl be a whole new experience. I sometimes feel that I am to close currently. but understand logic....

I think your screen was never really intended even for 1080P. There are always used screens available in the classifieds here. I think your image quality would definitely benefit from a screen upgrade even if you decide to keep your projector. Maybe buy a screen first and get a new lamp. See how much of a difference that makes.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Might need to look into screen regardless. Ideally I could get a screen that is ok for both 1080p and 4k. Probably need to switch to screen forum?
post #8 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Might need to look into screen regardless. Ideally I could get a screen that is ok for both 1080p and 4k. Probably need to switch to screen forum?
Yes anything 4k will be suitable for 1080P. I would post in screen forum. Good luck with everything.

post #9 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 78
FWIW, I have used several Elite screens with my HW30, which is also going to need a bulb soon. I have also been looking at projectors too and have decided on an NX5 or 7 after considering a used LS10500. I have had great success with an Elite AEON edge-free 120" 16:9 with this projector though and would recommend it. It is plenty bright in high lamp. The Sony is still a decent projector for 1080 content and 3D. I am not really in a hurry myself and will wait for a great deal on a JVC.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have one correction: my seating distance is 13ft
post #11 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Look into Silver Ticket screens. They test very well and are a Big Bang for the buck. Amazon sells them or you can buy direct.

With your seating distance I would not worry about native 4K vs pixel shifting. The JVC projectors are great and the Epson 5050 would be a good fit for your needs too. Sony is another option but I would pick JVC first.

Look into this JVC model. Street pricing will be much lower than MSRP. PM Mike Garrett abs also give Cleveland Plasma a call (forum vendor). I bought my JVC from them and they were excellent.
https://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/procision/dla_x790r/
Dirk504 likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Look into Silver Ticket screens. They test very well and are a Big Bang for the buck. Amazon sells them or you can buy direct.

With your seating distance I would not worry about native 4K vs pixel shifting. The JVC projectors are great and the Eason 5050 would be a good fit for your needs too. Sony is another option but I would pick JVC first.

Look into this JVC model. Street pricing will be much lower than MSRP. PM Mike Garrett abs also give Cleveland Plasma a call (forum vendor). I bought my JVC from them and they were excellent.

I support all these recommendations. Very informed post.

post #13 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 13995 Post(s)
Liked: 11675
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

With your seating distance I would not worry about native 4K vs pixel shifting. The JVC projectors are great and the Epson 5050 would be a good fit for your needs too. Sony is another option but I would pick JVC first.

I would make sure you are buying from an authorized dealer.
Consumer (X models): http://locator.jvc.com/usa/home
Professional (RS models): http://pro.jvc.com/prof/dealer_popup_home.jsp

There are guys out there that will tell you they are authorized, but when you try to get advanced replacement, you will find out that some of them are not really authorized dealers. Same goes for the free spare lamp with the RS2000, not authorized, no spare lamp.
ack_bk likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

I second ack_bk's recommendation on the JVC 790 (also goes by RS540 in pro version, same thing). I upgraded from a Sony HW45 to that JVC last month and it is a better picture in every way, especially contrast, deep blacks, and color saturation. You'll also get the remote motorized zoom/shift/focus plus memories which I believe will be an upgrade also over your Sony HW30. There are great deals on new RS540's from authorized dealers right now.

If you are in the mood to spend significantly more then I'd go with skylarlove1999's recommendation on a JVC NX5 or NX7.

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #15 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:

If you think sitting 16ft from a 110” screen can feel too close at times may I suggest a different purchase for you, an 85” TV instead and move your seating position a bit closer. You don’t seem to be after the immersive experience most with PJs desire so no doubt about it the TV route will be give you better contrast, have less issues with reflective light and will have built in streaming on lots of services.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #16 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

In some ways I am in the same boat as you looking to upgrade my SONY VPL HW40 with a 110" HCCV screen and a 16.5 foot throw distance. My room is fairly well light controlled and I sit about 12 feet back. My projector is about 4 and 1/2 years old and the original bulb is still going strong. Some time back I was looking around to replace my screen but about everything I saw gave marginal improvement and wasn't worth the trouble. I occasionally utilize the 3D and would like to get a projector that still has this feature.

I realize 5 years makes quite a difference in technology and my daughter's 65" 4K TV gives eye popping results making me think changing to 4 K is a good idea. I have been looking closely at the Sony 295 and was waiting to see a drop in price to $4,000. I think lumen wise it is not as bright as others. I have not seen the JVC's but an acquaintance of mine just got one and I am hoping to get a closer look.

Good luck on your search.

JohnF
post #17 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post
In some ways I am in the same boat as you looking to upgrade my SONY VPL HW40 with a 110" HCCV screen and a 16.5 foot throw distance. My room is fairly well light controlled and I sit about 12 feet back. My projector is about 4 and 1/2 years old and the original bulb is still going strong. Some time back I was looking around to replace my screen but about everything I saw gave marginal improvement and wasn't worth the trouble. I occasionally utilize the 3D and would like to get a projector that still has this feature.

I realize 5 years makes quite a difference in technology and my daughter's 65" 4K TV gives eye popping results making me think changing to 4 K is a good idea. I have been looking closely at the Sony 295 and was waiting to see a drop in price to $4,000. I think lumen wise it is not as bright as others. I have not seen the JVC's but an acquaintance of mine just got one and I am hoping to get a closer look.

JohnF
JohnF, Looks we have nearly an identical setup, even throw distance. Seating distance by 1ft.
Seems like our screen might not be future proof for 4k based on the feedback here. So, I am thinking to work on screen first. I would be interested in your feedback on what you learned trying new screens.

My screen must be 10 years old, have not been looking. So, I need to relearn waht I need (gain, white or grey, viewing angle, current brands...). Is tarted a new thread in screens:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...-ready-4k.html
post #18 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post

JohnF
JohnF, Looks we have nearly an identical setup, even throw distance. Seating distance by 1ft.
Seems like our screen might not be future proof for 4k based on the feedback here. So, I am thinking to work on screen first. I would be interested in your feedback on what you learned trying new screens.

My screen must be 10 years old, have not been looking. So, I need to relearn waht I need (gain, white or grey, viewing angle, current brands...). Is tarted a new thread in screens:

If you can, try and see if you can find a Benq 9060 LED projector to check out.
Amazing edge to edge brightness, rich saturated color and sharpness.
Black level not as good as Sony/JVC’s, but all its other strengths more than compensate. IMHO. Very pleased w/ mine.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

About 2 years ago I remember checking around for a replacement screen (maybe on this site) and asking at a local dealer who stated if lack of brightness is an issue I should go to a white screen but brightness with my SONY VPL 40es has been no problem. My screen room does have a dark floor and ceiling but half of my walls are non glossy cream colored and there are 2 feet of black curtains on either side of the screen. There is very slight ambient light.

The Da-lite screen we share has a 1.1 gain and off angle still looks good. I would like to get a big patch of white screen material and compare it side by side to see if screen replacement is worth it. I think I will wait until I do get a 4K projectore before changing the screen. Keep us posted on what you dp.

JohnF
DoctorCyclops likes this.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-08-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

I suggest finding the right projector first and seeing first hand what it looks like to your eyes. I would not depend on someone else's opinion as he has his own set of eyes criteria.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page