Designs for DIY projector ceiling mount box? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 2 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Designs for DIY projector ceiling mount box?

I plan to upgrade from my Sony 40ES to something 4K like an Epson 5050 or JVC N5 this year. The 4K models look to be much bigger and heavier than my HD projector. And my Sony on its ceiling in the basement wobbles and drifts from alignment from normal foot traffic on the first floor. It's a good mount -- a Chief I think. But the little set screws aren't strong enough to hold all the degrees of freedom completely solid. It seems certain then that a projector with twice the mass will wobble as much or more on a similar mount.

I'm noodling on whether to build a ceiling-mounted box that I can set the projector in, maybe with the feet clamped, so it can't drift. And then would also be easier to get at the air filter to clean it periodically -- the Sony's mount traps its air filter and I have to de-mount it to clean its filter.

All that said: are there any existing, general purpose, ceiling mount projector box designs I could use? I'm not a wood worker by any means. But I could probably use a coworker's shop and build something not particularly complex and mount it to my ceiling.

(Don't know if this should go in this forum or in the home theater build forum.)

Thanks for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-07-2020, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How long is the drop?

Are you mounted into the studs/rafters today?

Try getting the ceiling part fixed and connect to wood with lag bolts. Something seems a bit off if your current setup drifts with normal life.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemannthey View Post
How long is the drop?

Are you mounted into the studs/rafters today?

Try getting the ceiling part fixed and connect to wood with lag bolts. Something seems a bit off if your current setup drifts with normal life.
A plate with four lag bolts is mounted to the ceiling. From that a ~12" pipe drops to the projector mount, which ties directly to the projector. The mount is a Chief RPA Elite Series Projector Mounts. It's not the rafter mount or pipe that drift, but the little adjustment set screws in the Chief mount. Foot traffic directly above vibrates through the ceiling, through the rafters to the mount. It wobbles slightly and the adjustment screws slowly wander off. It's a small amount, but that little angle projected 15' creates an half inch or inch drift on the screen over time. I've tried tightening down on the mount, but my Chief mount just isn't stable / solid enough.

So if it can't hold 25 lb projector, I doubt it will be stable with a 50 lb projector. Hence my wondering about a "box" mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I see.

If the rpa is not holding the you might want to try a suspended ceiling shelf if no wall is close by.

Basicly get shelf large enough for your projector and attached to the celing with 4 bracket or cables. If you have 12 inch pipe drop now the shelf will likely be around 24inch just measure how low the shelf needs to be to the throw and shift to work.

You can use 4 eye bolt and cables, threaded rods or go all wood sides and build a full on hush box depending on what you want it to look like.

Once you get it on a shelf you use the adjustable feet to level it out. It will be very solid.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-09-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13494 Post(s)
Liked: 11128
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I plan to upgrade from my Sony 40ES to something 4K like an Epson 5050 or JVC N5 this year. The 4K models look to be much bigger and heavier than my HD projector. And my Sony on its ceiling in the basement wobbles and drifts from alignment from normal foot traffic on the first floor. It's a good mount -- a Chief I think. But the little set screws aren't strong enough to hold all the degrees of freedom completely solid. It seems certain then that a projector with twice the mass will wobble as much or more on a similar mount.

I'm noodling on whether to build a ceiling-mounted box that I can set the projector in, maybe with the feet clamped, so it can't drift. And then would also be easier to get at the air filter to clean it periodically -- the Sony's mount traps its air filter and I have to de-mount it to clean its filter.

All that said: are there any existing, general purpose, ceiling mount projector box designs I could use? I'm not a wood worker by any means. But I could probably use a coworker's shop and build something not particularly complex and mount it to my ceiling.

(Don't know if this should go in this forum or in the home theater build forum.)

The problem is not that the mount is not strong enough. The problem is the structure that you are attached to. The joists are flexing. You can wall mount, if the wall is close by. Or you can beef up the joists, so that they do not flex, when walked on from above.

Added
You can add additional joists. You can bolt angle iron to the joists the mount is attached to. You can lag bolt unistrut to the bottom of three joists. Do this with two runs of unistrut 16" on center and then use a Chief CMS390 attached to the two pieces of unistrut. This way the point load from a person stepping on the joist above will be transferred to all three joists. This will probably not completely eliminate the movement, but it should greatly reduce it.
giomania likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 03-09-2020 at 09:01 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post

Here's my ceiling mount. I can swap projectors very fast and never have to buy another mount or hassle with taking a projector down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newmount-uninstalled.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2695782   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs4500-mounted-strapped.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	2695784   Click image for larger version

Name:	newmount-installed.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	2695786  
giomania and ShoutingMan like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Here's my ceiling mount. I can swap projectors very fast and never have to buy another mount or hassle with taking a projector down.
Granted you can switch the projector faster, but with a good gear mount, you can align the image with the screen faster than you can using the four legs. To raise one side with the legs, you have to adjust a front and back leg and you have to adjust them the same amount and that is assuming the shelf is perfectly level. If not level, you have to adjust the two legs different amounts. With a gear adjustable mount, you turn one screw. Also if you have a lamp based projector, you have to pull your projector to change the lamp. Most ceiling mounts do not require that. There are pros and cons with either system. Ask any installer and they will tell you alignment with the screen is easier and faster with a good gear adjustable ceiling mount.

Added
I use both systems and mount and unmount projectors several times each year.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-12-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Granted you can switch the projector faster, but with a good gear mount, you can align the image with the screen faster than you can using the four legs. To raise one side with the legs, you have to adjust a front and back leg and you have to adjust them the same amount and that is assuming the shelf is perfectly level. If not level, you have to adjust the two legs different amounts. With a gear adjustable mount, you turn one screw. Also if you have a lamp based projector, you have to pull your projector to change the lamp. Most ceiling mounts do not require that. There are pros and cons with either system. Ask any installer and they will tell you alignment with the screen is easier and faster with a good gear adjustable ceiling mount.

Added

I use both systems and mount and unmount projectors several times each year.

I use a Chief RPA (non-Elite) that has no gears and it was a bear to get aligned, and it is still off a little bit. I thought about getting the RPA Elite mount with the gears, but is there something better?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I use a Chief RPA (non-Elite) that has no gears and it was a bear to get aligned, and it is still off a little bit. I thought about getting the RPA Elite mount with the gears, but is there something better?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The RPMA is definitely much better than the RPA. Crimson also now has a gear adjustable mount with custom plate for the JVC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crimson with JVC plate 3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	2696934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimson with JVC plate 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2696936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimson with JVC plate 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2696938  
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

Thanks for photos. That's kinda what I had in mind for a DIY box.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-21-2020, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The RPMA is definitely much better than the RPA. Crimson also now has a gear adjustable mount with custom plate for the JVC.
Good to know RPMA is better. The RPA is fussy with the need for four hands to hold two axes and tighten two screws simultaneously. Just myself, tightening an axis causes it to drift in that axis as the bolt head walks slightly along its path. It's not a bad mount. But it's not a perfect mount. And it can't hold position under minor vibration coming from above, IME.

Quote:
The problem is not that the mount is not strong enough. The problem is the structure that you are attached to. The joists are flexing. You can wall mount, if the wall is close by. Or you can beef up the joists, so that they do not flex, when walked on from above.

Added
You can add additional joists. You can bolt angle iron to the joists the mount is attached to. You can lag bolt unistrut to the bottom of three joists. Do this with two runs of unistrut 16" on center and then use a Chief CMS390 attached to the two pieces of unistrut. This way the point load from a person stepping on the joist above will be transferred to all three joists. This will probably not completely eliminate the movement, but it should greatly reduce it.

Tearing up the ceiling to adjust the joists isn't an option. Here's a photo of the ceiling during theater build. It's engineered wood beams, from original house build. I think there's 2x4s added in-between for the lag-bolt attachment of the projector mount. But I'm not sure as I didn't get a photo of that step of install. Here's two photos showing raw ceiling structure and then a (very grainy, low light) photo of the mounted projector.

As I get into this, I might first try the RPMA mount on the existing plate and see it works adequately. If there's still problems, I could remove the plate, put up plywood brace or such to the existing drywall that lag bolts into two (or more) joists, and either remount the projector base to that or use that as mount plate for a DIY box. Something like that.

Mounting to the rear wall is possibly doable, but low on my list of desired options, just above tearing up the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7636.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2700124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8089.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2700126  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement