Making the jump (or dive) into projection with 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Making the jump (or dive) into projection with 3D

Good Morning fellas,
My equipment is all running fine and cared for very well, but I have the desire to make the next step up in HT. This is of course projection.
I want to take advantage of all the new techs (dolby and HDR) and I really enjoy watching 3d movies on my 2014 Vizio m 80". As long as 3d on a projector would be as good (hopefully better) I think I will be thrilled.
All I do is watch movies. Mostly modern but some foreign (horror) and I love Christopher Nolan's work(so some IMAX0...just now getting into some awesome series like GOT, and looking at WestWorld. Of course the majority of viewing will be with modern blu rays and streaming (we do have gigabit here in the sticks).
I am a layperson and will have to hire all the install and calibration.
My estimated budget is 6-7k for projector, screen and install/calbrate.
MLP can be anywhere from 10-14ft from eyeballs to screen.
I have a width of 115 inches as things are currently set up between front L&R speakers.
I was thinking fixed screen and then maybe just a magnet/velvet cover when not in use.
The ceiling is wide open from front to back for projector mounting.
I would be happy with a good value on used equipment also, if given some models to keep my eyes out for in the classifieds.
I see all sorts of posts and reviews about the various new 4k projectors but everybody seems to overlook the 3D capabilities.
Most of my viewing is 2d, but when I do throw in one of the many 3D's I have I would like it to look as good as possible. I have always wondered what the quality of 3D is on my Vizio, but I found it impressive and so have guests.

Room is 15.5x20.5x8ft or 186x246x96in (virtually total light control with custom blackout shades)
Wood flooring over basement.
equipment list is in sig.
FR speakers are 1/6 and 5/6 across front wall and subs are 1/4,3/4. Which I understand to be ideal given room dimensions. MLP can be 10-14 ft

Is it simply the choice between JVC NX5 and Sony VPL with a stewart screen?
I can't find any comparisons on the 3D image quality.

Any advice on things to consider or equipment ideas would be much appreciated. I live about an hour outside the chicagoland area.
(plans also include new receiver with 4 atmos ceiling speakers as $ allows).

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2699534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2257.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2699536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	2699538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2699540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2699542  

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 03-19-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Good Morning fellas,
My equipment is all running fine and cared for very well, but I have the desire to make the next step up in HT. This is of course projection.
I want to take advantage of all the new techs (dolby and HDR) and I really enjoy watching 3d movies on my 2014 Vizio m 80". As long as 3d on a projector would be as good (hopefully better) I think I will be thrilled.
All I do is watch movies. Mostly modern but some foreign (horror) and I love Christopher Nolan's work(so some IMAX0...just now getting into some awesome series like GOT, and looking at WestWorld. Of course the majority of viewing will be with modern blu rays and streaming (we do have gigabit here in the sticks).
I have a width of 115 inches as things are currently set up between front L&R speakers.
I was thinking fixed screen and then maybe just a magnet/velvet cover when not in use.
I would be happy with a good value on used equipment also, if given some models to keep my eyes out for in the classifieds.
I see all sorts of posts and reviews about the various new 4k projectors but everybody seems to overlook the 3D capabilities.
Most of my viewing is 2d, but when I do throw in one of the many 3D's I have I would like it to look as good as possible. I have always wondered what the quality of 3D is on my Vizio, but I found it impressive and so have guests.

Room is 15.5x20.5x8ft or 186x246x96in (virtually total light control with custom blackout shades)
FR speakers are 1/6 and 5/6 across front wall and subs are 1/4,3/4. Which I understand to be ideal given room dimensions. MLP can be 10-14 ft

Any advice on things to consider or equipment ideas would be much appreciated. I live about an hour outside the chicagoland area.

Regards,
I think most people will recommend the JVC over the Sony. I have the JVC and just recently jumped into 3D for the first time and I absolutely love it. I don’t care about not having Atmos and would opt to watch 3D over 4K at this point.

Only consideration I can think of is the Sony is ready for 3D out of the box and the JVC requires a separate emitter. Which I bought from projectorscreen.com for just over 100$.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I think most people will recommend the JVC over the Sony. I have the JVC and just recently jumped into 3D for the first time and I absolutely love it. I don’t care about not having Atmos and would opt to watch 3D over 4K at this point.

Only consideration I can think of is the Sony is ready for 3D out of the box and the JVC requires a separate emitter. Which I bought from projectorscreen.com for just over 100$.
Thanks so much dwander,
This is exactly the type of info/advice I was hoping for.
Seems like we see things the same.
Nice that you brought up the consideration of the emitter also (at this point, and extra $100 ain't that bad
I am with you on the 3D vs 4K but 4K is the present and future (so far as I can tell), so I would like to be well prepared for the majority of movies to be 4K.

Did you have 3D on your previous display?
If so, how does the JVC compare?

Also, you went with 16:9. Would 2.35x1 be better for primarily movies?

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 03-19-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I think most people will recommend the JVC over the Sony. I have the JVC and just recently jumped into 3D for the first time and I absolutely love it. I don’️t care about not having Atmos and would opt to watch 3D over 4K at this point.

Thanks so much dwander,
This is exactly the type of info/advice I was hoping for.
Seems like we see things the same.
Nice that you brought up the consideration of the emitter also (at this point, and extra $100 ain't that bad[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I am with you on the 3D vs 4K but 4K is the present and future (so far as I can tell), so I would like to be well prepared for the majority of movies to be 4K.

Did you have 3D on your previous display?
If so, how does the JVC compare?

Also, you went with 16:9. Would 2.35x1 be better for primarily movies?
I’ve had 3D tvs before but never used it. Just didn’t have any interest on a smaller tv bc I assumed it was something that was best to be used on a big screen. With the JVC the only issue I had is that it gets dark so I have to use my brighter calibrated picture mode as opposed to my reference picture mode. But 3D will definitely be my go to when possible for the foreseeable future.

I think the best people to ask would be mike or Craig from AV science. I believe they sell both projectors so would be able to comment on the differences. I bought mine from them. First time dealing with them and was a great experience.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’ve had 3D tvs before but never used it. Just didn’t have any interest on a smaller tv bc I assumed it was something that was best to be used on a big screen. With the JVC the only issue I had is that it gets dark so I have to use my brighter calibrated picture mode as opposed to my reference picture mode. But 3D will definitely be my go to when possible for the foreseeable future.

I think the best people to ask would be mike or Craig from AV science. I believe they sell both projectors so would be able to comment on the differences. I bought mine from them. First time dealing with them and was a great experience.
Thanks again dwander, even with my room dark when I watch 3D stuff I always use the ISF Day calibration settings also.
I was planning on the UB820 also...and I see you have buttkickers as well. I bet that is impressive, well done.

Did you handle the install or just hire somebody local?

Do you hear the fan much at all?
Generally I can tune out back ground noise fairly easy...I think it would be even easier with a monster screen and pitch black room.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13494 Post(s)
Liked: 11128
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Can you darken the ceiling or at least the portion of the ceiling near the screen. With 10' viewing distance, I would go 133" diagonal scope or 120" diagonal 16:9. Since you want to do 3D and HDR, I selected the 10' viewing, so that screen size does not have to be so large that it hurts brightness. I would also go with 1.3 gain screen. The RS1000/NX5 would be an excellent choice. The Epson 6050 would also work well for you.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 03-19-2020 at 07:04 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Can you darken the ceiling or at least the portion of the ceiling near the screen. With 10' viewing distance, I would go 133" diagonal scope or 120" diagonal 16:9. Since you want to do 3D and HDR, I selected the 10' viewing, so that screen size does not have to be so large that it hurts brightness. I would also go with 1.3 gain screen. The RS1000/NX5 would be an excellent choice. The Epson 6050 would also work well for you.
Thanks so much Mike,
I was pretty much planning on running the roscoe super saturated black paint at least 6 ft back from front wall on ceiling...then maybe adding a few absorption panels if space allows.
10' MLP recommendation questions:
So, I can go 133" scope and not have to worry about using the zoom on the lens or any other lumen draining options?
Or, is all that moot...If I am able to move the projector mount fwd/bkwd as needed?

Regards,

Dutch

post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again dwander, even with my room dark when I watch 3D stuff I always use the ISF Day calibration settings also.
I was planning on the UB820 also...and I see you have buttkickers as well. I bet that is impressive, well done.

Did you handle the install or just hire somebody local?

Do you hear the fan much at all?
Generally I can tune out back ground noise fairly easy...I think it would be even easier with a monster screen and pitch black room.
I installed it myself, twice. First time using a ceiling mount, and then I re-built my theater and built in a recessed shelf above the door. Even with the recessed shelf, and some acoustic foam around the projector I can still hear the fan. But it doesn’t bother me and after a few minutes of watching I don’t even notice it anymore.

I did hire someone to calibrate after a few months though. Was hard to find someone local but found A who guy came down from Maine. He did a pretty good job and I would definitely recommend getting it done after enough hours on the bulb. However, out of the box you’ll be good to go for the time being with just some tweaks of the main settings.

Definitely reach out to mike, who posted above for more information. He’s got your answers and no nonsense competitive pricing.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much Mike,
I was pretty much planning on running the roscoe super saturated black paint at least 6 ft back from front wall on ceiling...then maybe adding a few absorption panels if space allows.
10' MLP recommendation questions:
So, I can go 133" scope and not have to worry about using the zoom on the lens or any other lumen draining options?
Or, is all that moot...If I am able to move the projector mount fwd/bkwd as needed?

Regards,

Dutch
If you go with 133" diagonal 2.35, then mount at 15' throw. Would recommend 1.3 gain screen. If using 120" diagonal 16:9, mount at 13' throw. With 120" diagonal 16:9 1.0 to 1.3 gain screen.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Good Morning fellas,

Regards,
I try to watch as much 3d as possible on my jvc and i love it.. JVC all the way

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

3D screens

Considering most of the movie viewing will obviously be 4k (uhd) due to lack of 3D content now...what make/model screen are you guys using to get the most from each format?

post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Considering most of the movie viewing will obviously be 4k (uhd) due to lack of 3D content now...what make/model screen are you guys using to get the most from each format?
Depends on screen size, aspect ratio, AT or solid, fixed or electric, throw, projector being used and room conditions.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Depends on screen size, aspect ratio, AT or solid, fixed or electric, throw, projector being used and room conditions.
Thank you for taking time to reply Mike.

The correct answer is (almost) always "It Depends" lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page