• 1 Post By dovercat

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Effects of DMD chip wear out

Hello.

Do DLP and 3-DLP DMD chips and optical systems wear out, causing dimming or blurring? I read that after the first replacement of the lamp on 1 dlp beamer, you can get up to minus 50% of the perceived brightness compared to the new projector. Is it true?

Last edited by Bydlofication; 03-21-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydlofication View Post
Hello.

Do DLP and 3-DLP chips and optical systems wear out, causing dimming or blurring? I read that after the first replacement of the lamp on 1 dlp beamer, you can get up to minus 50% of the perceived brightness compared to the new projector. Is it true?
In a ideal world no. DLP projectors can be designed for 24/7 long-term use with MTBF mean time between failure of in excess of 30,000 hours or 50,000 hours or 100,000 hours, as long as preventative maintenance of color wheel replacement at 8,000 hours or more and system fan replacement at 16,000 hours or more is carried out. They can work as good as the day they were new after many tens of thousands of hours of use.

In the real world the answer is yes sort of. Dust in the light path often on the color wheel can reduce lumen output. Bleaching of the light path often of the light dump/sink can reduce contrast. Dust in the focus plane often on the DLP chip can cause visible dust bobs, blobs of lighter grey on a black image. And the projector lens may get out of perfect alignment with the DLP chip if the lens is manhandled, resulting in loss of uniform image focus.

More detailed answer.

Lamp based DLP projector light path.

Lamp. The lumen rating is for a new lamp, lamp life is 50% of lamps still working at 50% or more of original lumen output. The lamp life figure also makes assumptions about frequency of switching the lamp on and off. While lumen output is typically at projector native color space with all light boosting features on maximum, not calibrated for video. And figures are for official lamp modules not compatibles.

Glass UV shield to protect light path. Can get covered in dust. I think they can also go off color with age or wear out but am unsure. Depending on the projector maybe part of the lamp casing, or part of the projector, or not present at all. Removing the UV shield will boost lumen output, but overtime damage the light path.

Color Wheel only used in single chip DLP projectors. Often attracts dust reducing projector lumen output. How quickly and how much dust collects on the color wheel is dependent on projector design and environment. Color wheels also wear out overtime and can go out of sync.

Light integrator. Typically a mirrored tunnel or glass rod. A hollow mirrored tunnel can suffer heat damage and collapse with age but is unlikely to collect much dust. A glass light integrator rod has higher reliability and but can suffer from loss of lumen output due to dust gather on the glass light integrator rod.

The following are typically in the sealed part of the light path. Modern DLP projectors appear to have better sealing of their light paths than older DLP projector designs.

Focusing lenses and mirrors can lose lumen output due to dust. Mirrors can also get tarnished with age depending on environment, and if tarnished will reduce lumen output.

DLP chip. Typically rated at 100,000+ hours. should not degrade lumen output or contrast overtime. At least not if UV shielding of the light path is working. Dust blobs on the DLP chip can be a problem. Those projectors with TIR prisms seem immune to dust blobs on the DLP chip probably due to the TIR prism being attached to the DLP chip. Also as previously mentioned modern DLP projectors appear to have better sealing of their light path than older designs.

TIR prism. Used in three chip DLP projectors to combine the light output of the three chips, and used in some single chip DLP projectors to enable lots of variable lens shift / projector placement flexibility. Note TIR prism designed single chip DLP projectors inherently have lower contrast but better black uniformity than offset single chip DLP projector designs, due to the light source - lens angles used.

Light dump/sink. Depending on how made can overtime get bleached by light reducing contrast.

Projector lens, once again dust is the enemy. Also depending on environment it is possible for moisture to get inside the lens reducing lumen output and contrast and making the image look foggy. And if improbably cleaned it is possible to destroy the lens anti-reflective coatings reducing contrast and increasing chromatic aberration, or scratch the lens. And if manhandled can go out of perfect alignment with the DLP chip resulting in loss of uniform image focus.
entropy02 likes this.

Projectiondesign F30 1080 VizSim with EN13 lens.130" white painted screen.
KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If your question refers to the DMD chip only, then no, it doesn’t wear out and it doesn’t lose light reflectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7794 Post(s)
Liked: 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydlofication View Post
Hello.

Do DLP and 3-DLP DMD chips and optical systems wear out, causing dimming or blurring? I read that after the first replacement of the lamp on 1 dlp beamer, you can get up to minus 50% of the perceived brightness compared to the new projector. Is it true?
As long as your replacement lamp is good, brightness should be close. Some projectors have glass between the lamp and the rest of the light engine that can get clouded by off gassing plastics in the lamp housing. Careful cleaning can remove that. I had a SIM2 3 chip DLP for 7 1/2 years. It worked just fine all those years. The only variance was the quality of the replacement lamps.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My dlp has over 7000 hours (10 years old) on it and it works as expected. It has great color still and is still very sharp.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have a sim2 mico 40 from 2012 with 3500 hours and its mint, and had a w1070 with 15-20k hours in great shape, a runco q750i from 2009 that threw as good looking of an image as when it was new, same with a dpi 1080p-260.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I’ve seen stuck mirrors resulting in black or bright pixels on a few dlp projectors.

One of my old dlps had a chip contact problem resulting in a vertical line of stuck pixels, that appeared and disappeared as the unit heated up.

Home Cinema, JVC X7000,3.3m Cinemascope Beamax, Vertex.Yamaha 3050, Quad 606, Apple TV 4k, MadVR & Kodi HTPC.
Monitor Audio Silver 8, Silver C350, Silver 1's, Mass 10 for ATMOS, Minidsp 2x4HD, BK Monolith.
Lots of velvet and mineral wool.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2020, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
I’ve seen stuck mirrors resulting in black or bright pixels on a few dlp projectors.

One of my old dlps had a chip contact problem resulting in a vertical line of stuck pixels, that appeared and disappeared as the unit heated up.
In theory the DLP chip should work perfectly and out live the projector.
DLP chips are
DMD MTBF mean time between failures > 650,000 hours
DMD lifetime > 100,000 hours
Hinge lifetime > 120,000 operating hours

Texas Instruments provides projector manufactures with a 5 year warranty on DLP chips, if they choose to use that to the benefit or their customers is up to the manufacture.

Nevertheless I have also seen DLP projectors with the odd stuck mirror. Which can be a bad sign as I have read the number of stuck mirrors can increase as the projector fails. But I expect such faults are down to either the rare faulty chip or badly designed/badly built projectors.

Projectiondesign F30 1080 VizSim with EN13 lens.130" white painted screen.
KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
dlp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page