Optoma UHZ65LV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffG02
  • 1 Post By DoctorCyclops
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-24-2020, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JeffG02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Optoma UHZ65LV

Currently looking for the right projector for my upcoming build. Since I'll have a little natural light, laser seemed intriguing and so I was looking at the UHZ65 or Theo UHZ65-Lite, then came across the newly released UHZ65LV. I assume since it's so new, there is zero about it online. Has anyone seen one?

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhz65lv/

UHZ65LV
Incredible native 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) resolution with HDR10 and HLG compatibility
PureEngine (MEMC) & UltraDetail for outstanding video performance
Bright 5,000 lumens for lights-on viewing
Vertical lens shift with 1.6x zoom
DuraCore maintenance-free laser light source up to 30,000 hours
Blu-ray 3D compatible
Extensive I/O with HDMI, 12v trigger, RS-232C and LAN control
Larger-than-life 4K UHD with stunning color and amazing clarity for lights-on viewing

Outfit your home with beautiful, 5,000 lumens and 4K UHD projections with the Optoma UHZ65LV laser projector for home cinemas. Engineered for the ultimate home theater, the incredibly bright DuraCore Laser light source delivers an amazing visual experience at any hour of the day.

Compact size, low weight and quiet operation make it easy to install in any home cinema and enjoyed with minimal noise. The high-performance DLP chipset displays 8.3-million distinct simultaneous pixels on screen and easily projects images up to 302-inches with outstanding details.

Vertical lens shift, 1.6x optical zoom and 12V trigger provide installation flexibility. RS-232C and LAN connectivity enable simple integration and control via industry standards.
BiggerPicture likes this.
JeffG02 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 03-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Member
 
kemannthey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I also tack lazer/led projectors.


How many lummens are you targeting ? The Theo is likely the best on for contrtast and color 3 but this one is alot brighter.

Have you also looked at the BenQ lk990/970 and ht9060/9050?

Jvc also has in interesting dlp Lazer.
kemannthey is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM
Member
 
mckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Málaga (SPAIN)
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG02 View Post
Currently looking for the right projector for my upcoming build. Since I'll have a little natural light, laser seemed intriguing and so I was looking at the UHZ65 or Theo UHZ65-Lite, then came across the newly released UHZ65LV. I assume since it's so new, there is zero about it online. Has anyone seen one?

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhz65lv/

UHZ65LV
Incredible native 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) resolution with HDR10 and HLG compatibility
PureEngine (MEMC) & UltraDetail for outstanding video performance
Bright 5,000 lumens for lights-on viewing
Vertical lens shift with 1.6x zoom
DuraCore maintenance-free laser light source up to 30,000 hours
Blu-ray 3D compatible
Extensive I/O with HDMI, 12v trigger, RS-232C and LAN control
Larger-than-life 4K UHD with stunning color and amazing clarity for lights-on viewing

Outfit your home with beautiful, 5,000 lumens and 4K UHD projections with the Optoma UHZ65LV laser projector for home cinemas. Engineered for the ultimate home theater, the incredibly bright DuraCore Laser light source delivers an amazing visual experience at any hour of the day.

Compact size, low weight and quiet operation make it easy to install in any home cinema and enjoyed with minimal noise. The high-performance DLP chipset displays 8.3-million distinct simultaneous pixels on screen and easily projects images up to 302-inches with outstanding details.

Vertical lens shift, 1.6x optical zoom and 12V trigger provide installation flexibility. RS-232C and LAN connectivity enable simple integration and control via industry standards.
I have seen that the uniformity is 70% compared to 85% of the UHZ65
mckey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 Old 03-25-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG02 View Post
Currently looking for the right projector for my upcoming build. Since I'll have a little natural light, laser seemed intriguing and so I was looking at the UHZ65 or Theo UHZ65-Lite, then came across the newly released UHZ65LV. I assume since it's so new, there is zero about it online. Has anyone seen one?

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhz65lv/

UHZ65LV
Incredible native 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) resolution with HDR10 and HLG compatibility
PureEngine (MEMC) & UltraDetail for outstanding video performance
Bright 5,000 lumens for lights-on viewing
Vertical lens shift with 1.6x zoom
DuraCore maintenance-free laser light source up to 30,000 hours
Blu-ray 3D compatible
Extensive I/O with HDMI, 12v trigger, RS-232C and LAN control
Larger-than-life 4K UHD with stunning color and amazing clarity for lights-on viewing

Outfit your home with beautiful, 5,000 lumens and 4K UHD projections with the Optoma UHZ65LV laser projector for home cinemas. Engineered for the ultimate home theater, the incredibly bright DuraCore Laser light source delivers an amazing visual experience at any hour of the day.

Compact size, low weight and quiet operation make it easy to install in any home cinema and enjoyed with minimal noise. The high-performance DLP chipset displays 8.3-million distinct simultaneous pixels on screen and easily projects images up to 302-inches with outstanding details.

Vertical lens shift, 1.6x optical zoom and 12V trigger provide installation flexibility. RS-232C and LAN connectivity enable simple integration and control via industry standards.
I think this is basically the same projector:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm
DunMunro is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 03-26-2020, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,626
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14055 Post(s)
Liked: 11735
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I think this is basically the same projector:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm
Lists 5,000 lumens and yet video optimized lumens SDR is only 1,525. That is a huge hit, just to get accurate performance.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #6 of 30 Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 AM
Member
 
DoctorCyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You should check out the Benq 9060.
LED light engine w/ fantastic light uniformity.
Very satisfied w/ mine.
Ruined likes this.
DoctorCyclops is online now  
post #7 of 30 Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Lists 5,000 lumens and yet video optimized lumens SDR is only 1,525. That is a huge hit, just to get accurate performance.
1525 lumens is still OK but cinema mode does much better, and HDR, which wasn't tested will do better as well.
DunMunro is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,626
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14055 Post(s)
Liked: 11735
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
1525 lumens is still OK but cinema mode does much better, and HDR, which wasn't tested will do better as well.
That is just a less accurate mode, which allows more light output.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #9 of 30 Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That is just a less accurate mode, which allows more light output.
We don't actually know that as the test didn't measure colour accuracy. It implies that HDR Standard mode is pretty good:

"You can improve the 4K image significantly by experimenting with various combinations of HDR mode (HDR and HDR2); HDR Picture Mode (Bright, Standard, Film, and Detail); Gamma; and Dynamic Black (the equivalent of an auto iris). I settled on HDR, Standard Picture Mode, Gamma 2.4, and Dynamic Black 1."

and that mode is probably somewhere over 2000 lumens.
DunMunro is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Question Optoma uhz65 or Optoma uhz65lv?

Hi every one,
The title was the question. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
nasa23 is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
Hi every one,
The title was the question. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
I assume that the UHZ65LV is the same or very similar to the ZK507:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...or-Review.htm/

UHZ65:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ter-Review.htm


If I had a really big screen (~180in 16x9), preferably grey, then I would look really hard at the ZK507/UHZ65LV.
DunMunro is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I assume that the UHZ65LV is the same or very similar to the ZK507:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...or-Review.htm/

UHZ65:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ter-Review.htm


If I had a really big screen (~180in 16x9), preferably grey, then I would look really hard at the ZK507/UHZ65LV.
The uhz65lv got 3D also while zk507 is not. What realy concerns me most is the HDR quality and black levels. My current setup 150" ALR Elite screen. And i realy would like that this screen screems of colorfull brightness.
nasa23 is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,626
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14055 Post(s)
Liked: 11735
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
1525 lumens is still OK but cinema mode does much better, and HDR, which wasn't tested will do better as well.
When you calibrate a projector, you do not just randomly pick a mode, you check through the modes and find which mode will give you the most lumens, once calibrated. So saying another mode will do better because it will be brighter, just means it is less color accurate.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-10-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
The uhz65lv got 3D also while zk507 is not. What realy concerns me most is the HDR quality and black levels. My current setup 150" ALR Elite screen. And i realy would like that this screen screems of colorfull brightness.
The ZK507 has full 3D:

Quote:
Supports all HDMI 1.4a mandatory 3D formats (Frame pack, sideby-side, top-bottom) and up converts frame rate from 60Hz to
120Hz or 24Hz to 144Hz (i.e. 60 or 72 frames per eye). 3D glasses are
needed and are sold separately. Refer to user manual for details.)
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf...spec_11043.pdf
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

I suspect that the ZK507/UHZ65LV are the same, but the UHZ65LV might have different firmware or different default settings, so where the Zk507 is by default optimized for brightness, the UHZ65LV might be optimized for best colour, but when both are set up the same, the results should be pretty similar.

My guess is that HDR quality, will be pretty good, especially if paired with something like a Panasonic UB420/820 to take advantage of it's HDR Optimizer. High brightness really helps with HDR and the HDR Optimizer can really help preserve hightlights and preserve shadow detail.

For daytime viewing you will have lumens to spare and at night, you can choose a more colour accurate mode for best colour accuracy and saturation.
DunMunro is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
The uhz65lv got 3D also while zk507 is not. What realy concerns me most is the HDR quality and black levels. My current setup 150" ALR Elite screen. And i realy would like that this screen screems of colorfull brightness.
While re checking zk507 sepcs, found that its 3D capable but no mentioning of Rec.709.
nasa23 is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
When you calibrate a projector, you do not just randomly pick a mode, you check through the modes and find which mode will give you the most lumens, once calibrated. So saying another mode will do better because it will be brighter, just means it is less color accurate.

Well...that depends, on the room and and the content being viewed. Many multi-use rooms will have very different amounts of ambient light depending on time of day and content being viewed. So the different modes are available for different situations and content. If I am watching the big game on a Sunday afternoon with my buddies, I'd probably want a different mode, than when watching a movie, at night, with the room optimized as a theatre.
DunMunro is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
While re checking zk507 sepcs, found that its 3D capable but no mentioning of Rec.709.
Both projectors (ZK507/UHZ65LV) have the same output and same power consumption. Logically, they must have the same light engine and the same colour gamut coverage, when calibrated similarly.
However, before purchasing I would ensure that I could try the projector in my theatre space, and get a refund if it doesn't meet my needs.
DunMunro is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Both projectors (ZK507/UHZ65LV) have the same output and same power consumption. Logically, they must have the same light engine and the same colour gamut coverage, when calibrated similarly.
However, before purchasing I would ensure that I could try the projector in my theatre space, and get a refund if it doesn't meet my needs.
But why the big difference in price between the two ($1300,00) Since both have similar specifications?
nasa23 is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
What the Optoma ZK507-W is designed for
It is ideal for:
Large classrooms, conference rooms, boardrooms
Small auditoriums
Houses of worship
It is also good for:
Digital signage in retail and museums
Exhibits and displays in museums
Medical presentations and education.

Well, i guess that is the reason. Its not considered home theater projector.
nasa23 is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
What the Optoma ZK507-W is designed for
It is ideal for:
Large classrooms, conference rooms, boardrooms
Small auditoriums
Houses of worship
It is also good for:
Digital signage in retail and museums
Exhibits and displays in museums
Medical presentations and education.

Well, i guess that is the reason. Its not considered home theater projector.
Ignore that, because its just marketing and the same would apply to most laser projectors. It's how it performs for you that matters.

Last edited by DunMunro; 04-10-2020 at 03:24 PM.
DunMunro is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 04-10-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
But why the big difference in price between the two ($1300,00) Since both have similar specifications?
I don't know, but the innards must be the same or almost so and I would guess that they will calibrate more or less identically. Again, buy with a return policy if you're not satisfied.

The firmware is (edit:Not) different because the ZK507 has a Dicom sim mode.

EDIT: They are identical because the UHZ65LV has Dicom sim as well:

UHZ65LV manual:

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product...65LV#downloads

ZK507 Manual:

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product...07-w#downloads

However, there may be differences in warranty coverage.

Last edited by DunMunro; 04-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.
DunMunro is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Well. That will be very hard to try it in my location (middle east). No dealer is available here.
nasa23 is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa23 View Post
Well. That will be very hard to try it in my location (middle east). No dealer is available here.
With a 150in screen you're right on the boundary between the UHZ65 and the ZK507/UHZ65LV. However, I think either would work well on your screen.
DunMunro is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 04-12-2020, 02:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
With a 150in screen you're right on the boundary between the UHZ65 and the ZK507/UHZ65LV. However, I think either would work well on your screen.
So, since you have mentioned optoma uhz65, which one would you choose between UHZ65 and UHZ65LV for 150" screen?
nasa23 is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Anyone have any idea what colour wheel is being used in this projector ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 06-19-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Anyone have any idea what colour wheel is being used in this projector ?
The spec states that it's a 4 slice wheel. IIRC, it's RGBY.
DunMunro is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 06-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Anyone have any idea what colour wheel is being used in this projector ?
The spec states that it's a 4 slice wheel. IIRC, it's RGBY.
Has anyone conducted a side by side post calibration test between the UHZ65 and UHZ65LV ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I don't know, but the innards must be the same or almost so and I would guess that they will calibrate more or less identically. Again, buy with a return policy if you're not satisfied.

The firmware is (edit:Not) different because the ZK507 has a Dicom sim mode.

EDIT: They are identical because the UHZ65LV has Dicom sim as well:

UHZ65LV manual:

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product...65LV#downloads

ZK507 Manual:

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product...07-w#downloads

However, there may be differences in warranty coverage.
I'm not sure what specs you guys are looking at or if something was recently updated but the biggest advantage of the LV is the addition of HDR10 which now brings you the option of getting a form of DolbyVision with some some of the HDFury devices.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.

Last edited by TimHuey; 06-22-2020 at 09:25 AM.
TimHuey is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 06-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Any comprehensive reviews out there ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 07-08-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,486
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Any update on Optoma UHZ65LV vs. ZK507-W?

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off