JVC NX5 vs Epson 5050 vs Sony vs Other? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 04-01-2020, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
JVC NX5 vs Epson 5050 vs Sony vs Other?

I will be going with a 135 inch 16:9 screen as I am limited by width not height.

The room is 168 wide, and to fit L&R speakers with toe in-- the 135 inch screen is as wide as I can go. I can't do acoustic transparent or build a projector wall. The MLP is about 14-15 feet.

The throw distance is 24 feet.

The middle of the screen is going to be at 84 inches, which is the middle of the room. It will be mounted 23 inches off the ground so the middle of the screen will be at 56.5 inches high.

The projector will not be mounted directly behind me because there is no wall there. But there is a wall from the kitchen that I can put brackets onto and put the projector on a shelf. This wall is 137 inches in total width, so I can put the shelf there at about 8 or 9 feet high.

The middle of the screen being 84 inches into the room - 137 width means I need to be able to lens shift 53 inches left or right. BUT the projectors listed above are about 20 inches wide, and the lens is in the middle, not right up against the wall so I figure that gives me about another 10 inches.

I can build a 24 inch deep shelf for this wall that the 20 inch wide projector would sit on.

For the JVC at the 24 foot throw, with a centered image, the projected image can be shifted an additional 50″ up from the top, 50″ down from the bottom, 40″ over from the left, and 40″ over from the right edge of the image using the projector's lens shift capability.

84+40 inches = 124 inches.

On the 24 inch shelf I can move the projector 3 inches off set to the right, taking into account the lens being about 10 inches and be right at 40 inches of adjustment. With the middle of the screen being 56.5 inches high I could mount it at a maximum height of just under 9 feet high.

The JVC will give 24 foot lamberts (from an online calculator) for this distance of throw.

The epson has even more top and bottom, left and right adjustments so placement would be about the same. At 24ft distance, with a centered image, the projected image can be shifted an additional 63″ up from the top, 63″ down from the bottom, 55″ over from the left, and 55″ over from the right edge of the image using the projector's lens shift capability.

So I could mount the epson about 13 inches higher if wanted, and worry less about the left and right adjustments.

The epson would also have 37 foot lambert of light vs 24 foot lambert from the JVC. I know from doing research that the contrast of the JVC is quite a bit better? But not sure how the brightness and foot lamberts would affect that. Is 24 foot lamberts "enough" even?

Between the two which would you go for? Are there any other projectors I should be looking at taking into the fact I need good lens shift capability?

The room is a living room with a few windows that I could put blinds on but it will be mostly for movies at night, nighttime boxing & UFC fights where it would be pitch black... and rarely some daytime sports / TV. Even with the windows the room isn't extremely lit up with ambient light because trees outside are shading the house and the sun wouldn't shine directly on the wall with the projector.

So we will mostly watch TV during the day in the other room, and then watch movies / TV in here at night if wanted unless there are larger daytime sporting events on.

Last edited by Drew1204; 04-01-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 290
This is an easy choice because that is along throw and it's not going to be a dedicated room = your gonna want all the lumens you can get = Epson 5050.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
noob00224 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #3 of 61 Old 04-01-2020, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
This is an easy choice because that is along throw and it's not going to be a dedicated room = your gonna want all the lumens you can get = Epson 5050.

Awesome thank you! Can you recommend a 135 inch screen material that might be best for the room?

I am not sure if a lower or higher gain screen would be best, or if a 1.1 gain white silver ticket would be good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 13820 Post(s)
Liked: 11469
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
I will be going with a 135 inch 16:9 screen as I am limited by width not height.

The room is 168 wide, and to fit L&R speakers with toe in-- the 135 inch screen is as wide as I can go. I can't do acoustic transparent or build a projector wall. The MLP is about 14-15 feet.

The throw distance is 24 feet.

The middle of the screen is going to be at 84 inches, which is the middle of the room. It will be mounted 23 inches off the ground so the middle of the screen will be at 56.5 inches high.

The projector will not be mounted directly behind me because there is no wall there. But there is a wall from the kitchen that I can put brackets onto and put the projector on a shelf. This wall is 137 inches in total width, so I can put the shelf there at about 8 or 9 feet high.

The middle of the screen being 84 inches into the room - 137 width means I need to be able to lens shift 53 inches left or right. BUT the projectors listed above are about 20 inches wide, and the lens is in the middle, not right up against the wall so I figure that gives me about another 10 inches.

I can build a 24 inch deep shelf for this wall that the 20 inch wide projector would sit on.

For the JVC at the 24 foot throw, with a centered image, the projected image can be shifted an additional 50″ up from the top, 50″ down from the bottom, 40″ over from the left, and 40″ over from the right edge of the image using the projector's lens shift capability.

84+40 inches = 124 inches.

On the 24 inch shelf I can move the projector 3 inches off set to the right, taking into account the lens being about 10 inches and be right at 40 inches of adjustment. With the middle of the screen being 56.5 inches high I could mount it at a maximum height of just under 9 feet high.

The JVC will give 24 foot lamberts (from an online calculator) for this distance of throw.

The epson has even more top and bottom, left and right adjustments so placement would be about the same. At 24ft distance, with a centered image, the projected image can be shifted an additional 63″ up from the top, 63″ down from the bottom, 55″ over from the left, and 55″ over from the right edge of the image using the projector's lens shift capability.

So I could mount the epson about 13 inches higher if wanted, and worry less about the left and right adjustments.

The epson would also have 37 foot lambert of light vs 24 foot lambert from the JVC. I know from doing research that the contrast of the JVC is quite a bit better? But not sure how the brightness and foot lamberts would affect that. Is 24 foot lamberts "enough" even?

Between the two which would you go for? Are there any other projectors I should be looking at taking into the fact I need good lens shift capability?

The room is a living room with a few windows that I could put blinds on but it will be mostly for movies at night, nighttime boxing & UFC fights where it would be pitch black... and rarely some daytime sports / TV. Even with the windows the room isn't extremely lit up with ambient light because trees outside are shading the house and the sun wouldn't shine directly on the wall with the projector.

So we will mostly watch TV during the day in the other room, and then watch movies / TV in here at night if wanted unless there are larger daytime sporting events on.
With either projector, I would put blinds on the window. If you buy a 1.3 gain screen you can get around 31FL calibrated with the JVC. That is pretty good brightness. Side walls are only 25" from the image, so you are going to get some reflection back onto the screen. The JVC will work well, but if the ceiling is also close to the image and ceiling and walls are a light color, the Epson is a good choice.
post #5 of 61 Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With either projector, I would put blinds on the window. If you buy a 1.3 gain screen you can get around 31FL calibrated with the JVC. That is pretty good brightness. Side walls are only 25" from the image, so you are going to get some reflection back onto the screen. The JVC will work well, but if the ceiling is also close to the image and ceiling and walls are a light color, the Epson is a good choice.
Thank you!

The ceiling is 14 feet high so the ceiling reflections shouldn't be an issue. One of the side walls is indented 2 feet so the right wall is only 24 inches deep, but the left wall is regular length.

1) Should I go with the grey silver ticket that has a 1.0 gain or the white silver ticket that has a 1.1 gain?

2) Also, with 4k dolby vision and Dolby Atmos movies streaming from Apple TV 4K, does the projector automatically turn on an HDR mode?

3) Are projectors similar to TV's where there are guides to best settings or calibrations everyone uses for the 5050ub? How accurate is the Epson 5050 vs say the Sony 900f? One of my favorite things about the Sony 900f are the true to life colors and accuracy, unlike the oversaturated colors from Samsung.

EDIT: I am now considering going with the StudioTek 130 G4 screen after doing some research

Last edited by Drew1204; 04-01-2020 at 11:23 PM.
post #6 of 61 Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Every TV/Projector with a decent set of adjustments can be made to look extremely accurate colour wise. As for screen choice in this situation, lumens is very important when conditions are less than ideal, a grey screen will give back some of the blacks lost in such a room but due to their lower gain you need more lumens to produce a bright enough image, maybe you should also consider an ALR screen, they do have issues if used in the wrong situation but when you follow the guidelines they are very effective and will give to the added benefit to produce a decent image even when there’s some light in the room.

Ultimately the JVC is the better projector but this is really true when used in a dedicated bat cave with Black velvet walls/ceiling and black carpet, in less ideal conditions it’s benefit is greatly reduced, to the point that the extra expense isn’t justify.

Unfortunately as with any forum you will have different opinions either based on favouritism or professional experience, all I will say is you will not be disappointed in either of your options as both the JVC and Epson throw an amazing image. If you intend to watch a lot of HDR content then the JVC does have an advantage over everything else due to its built in Frame by Frame Tonal mapping which also works with streaming material, currently this isn’t possible with an Epson and MadVR, so keep this in mind.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #7 of 61 Old 04-02-2020, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6580 Post(s)
Liked: 4727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post

Ultimately the JVC is the better projector but this is really true when used in a dedicated bat cave with Black velvet walls/ceiling and black carpet, in less ideal conditions it’s benefit is greatly reduced, to the point that the extra expense isn’t justify.
This is a misconception. For the JVC to shine all over the Epson with its contrast, you only need a fully 100% light controlled room. You do not need black velvet walls, black ceiling, black carpet etc. You only need the ability to kill all the ambient light via having no windows, covered windows, no lights on, etc.

All that other stuff is great and helps *all* projectors. But think about it. The white walls, bright carpet etc only causes light to reflect from the screen off those objects and back onto the screen. On the darkest scenes, where the JVC destroys, there's no light to shine back onto the screen anyway. The velvet and all that stuff doesn't really help the on/off contrast much at all. It only helps the ANSI contrast.

Therefore, a JVC will stomp all over an Epson in contrast any any room where lights can be fully killed. Nothing more needed.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #8 of 61 Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^We will agree but up to a point and the reason I say that is I have seen other projectors against a JVC is less than ideal situations and beyond absolutely the darker of scene the benefits aren’t there. We aren’t talking about a small increase in price difference here which is why most who are truly into the hobby go the extra mile to achieve the perfect conditions.

To the OP, I know it’s not easy at the moment trying to get a demo but ultimately it’s the only way to know whether your extra cash is going to be money well spent in the long run.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #9 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
This is a misconception. For the JVC to shine all over the Epson with its contrast, you only need a fully 100% light controlled room.
Therefore, a JVC will stomp all over an Epson in contrast any any room where lights can be fully killed. Nothing more needed.
Well, except maybe a DCR lens.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #10 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 873
I would definitely go with the JVC.

The difference in brightness is nowhere near 37fL vs 24fL once both are calibrated. The Epson will lose a lot of light when calibrated compared to the JVC loses almost none.

My NX5 does 29fc (32fL on my 1.1 gain screen) on my 140" screen when calibrated. Honestly this is too bright as it raises even the great JVC black floor too high for my liking and creates too much reflected light from the room (only the first 6ft of my room is black velveted).

I closed down the iris to -10 to bring it down to about 25fL and it looks better than ever in HDR and I can just open the iris as the bulb ages to maintain my ideal brightness level.
post #11 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I would definitely go with the JVC.

The difference in brightness is nowhere near 37fL vs 24fL once both are calibrated. The Epson will lose a lot of light when calibrated compared to the JVC loses almost none.

My NX5 does 29fc (32fL on my 1.1 gain screen) on my 140" screen when calibrated. Honestly this is too bright as it raises even the great JVC black floor too high for my liking and creates too much reflected light from the room (only the first 6ft of my room is black velveted).

I closed down the iris to -10 to bring it down to about 25fL and it looks better than ever in HDR and I can just open the iris as the bulb ages to maintain my ideal brightness level.
Are those your personal measurements or are those from a calculator?

The 29fc must be high bulb mode, right?

Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #12 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are those your personal measurements or are those from a calculator?

The 29fc must be high bulb mode, right?

Those are my personal measurements yeah.

And yeah it's high bulb which I believe in using because ultimately it leads to the best image quality by being able to lower the iris and gain lots of contrast.

It's about 24fL in low bulb with iris wide open, but only 20K:1 contrast whereas I get 30K:1 using high bulb -10 iris with the same brightness.
post #13 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those are my personal measurements yeah.

And yeah it's high bulb which I believe in using because ultimately it leads to the best image quality by being able to lower the iris and gain lots of contrast.

It's about 24fL in low bulb with iris wide open, but only 20K:1 contrast whereas I get 30K:1 using high bulb -10 iris with the same brightness.
Ok.

Is there much to be gained in running -iris for more contrast? I have a 5040 and use MadVR dtm for hdr. I've never really played around with the iris.

My normal setup is to run the 5040 in medium lamp and natural mode and on my 150" I'm at 80 nits on screen. I don't run high lamp because it's too bright and too loud.

Thanks

post #14 of 61 Old 04-04-2020, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok.

Is there much to be gained in running -iris for more contrast? I have a 5040 and use MadVR dtm for hdr. I've never really played around with the iris.

My normal setup is to run the 5040 in medium lamp and natural mode and on my 150" I'm at 80 nits on screen. I don't run high lamp because it's too bright and too loud.

Thanks

I am actually not sure how much the iris affects the Epson. I know on my JVC that going from 0 to -10 increases me from 20K:1 to 30K:1 by my measurements and is noticeable to me so I keep it that way.
DavidinGA likes this.
post #15 of 61 Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I am actually not sure how much the iris affects the Epson. I know on my JVC that going from 0 to -10 increases me from 20K:1 to 30K:1 by my measurements and is noticeable to me so I keep it that way.
With the 5040 i never used the iris. With the 5050 i drop mine to -8 to -12 in cinema mode night and day difference.I cant tell you how much the contrast increases. Really pleased with this discovery as my screen is a high contrast 2.8 gain. Uniformity is also better as black bars are black from center to edge.
post #16 of 61 Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covsound1 View Post
With the 5040 i never used the iris. With the 5050 i drop mine to -8 to -12 in cinema mode night and day difference.I cant tell you how much the contrast increases. Really pleased with this discovery as my screen is a high contrast 2.8 gain. Uniformity is also better as black bars are black from center to edge.
Why didn't you use the iris on the 5040? Just never thought about it or not beneficial?

post #17 of 61 Old 04-07-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you use the iris on the 5040? Just never thought about it or not beneficial?

Glad you asked. With the 5040 it was all about getting a brighter image with hdr. With the addition of a hd fury,a panny 900 and also leaning some rgb offset tricks and gamma curves that no longer was a problem. And i just settled. Got hit with the upgrade bug 5050. it was a learning curve as some things are different. but at the end of day i got a picture that look like 5040 but not much better!Then i thought maybe i should have got Jvc 1000. I am getting all the light output and pop i need in cinema mode. But fast forward 3 + years and a upgrade? just discovering the iris 3 weeks ago. I cant tell you how happy i am now finding that next level. Yes i thought it was not beneficial boy was i wrong!
post #18 of 61 Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covsound1 View Post
Glad you asked. With the 5040 it was all about getting a brighter image with hdr. With the addition of a hd fury,a panny 900 and also leaning some rgb offset tricks and gamma curves that no longer was a problem. And i just settled. Got hit with the upgrade bug 5050. it was a learning curve as some things are different. but at the end of day i got a picture that look like 5040 but not much better!Then i thought maybe i should have got Jvc 1000. I am getting all the light output and pop i need in cinema mode. But fast forward 3 + years and a upgrade? just discovering the iris 3 weeks ago. I cant tell you how happy i am now finding that next level. Yes i thought it was not beneficial boy was i wrong!
Hmm.. Might have to play around with it a bit. I wonder if you find it so helpful because you have one of those long lost treasures hanging on your wall tho - HP screen! You probably have an exceptional surplus of fc's to work with! I've got a meager 1.1 gain and my 5040 has to light up a 150" screen.

covsound1 likes this.

post #19 of 61 Old 04-07-2020, 06:11 PM

Funny that upgrade bug had me looking at the HP screen! I think i better stay put. lol
DavidinGA likes this.
post #20 of 61 Old 04-07-2020, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

The epson 6050 came today! I am projecting it onto a wall and trying out some different sizes! Before I marked off sizes with masking tape I was thinking 135. Then I put up masking tape and decided 150... But then I started projecting an image and am deciding between 165 and 180 inches . I sit 15 feet away.

The wall that it will be going on has a 55 inch by 70 inch window. I plan on blacking out the entire window and then mounting the screen where the window is.

The problem is that if I go acoustic transparent screen I will need to put up some drywall or something where the window is and then mount the center channel into that drywall. That is doable and not a huge deal. I was planning on going with the Klipsch r 5502 LCR because I can adjust the tweeters to face the MLP more if I did go with an AT screen and I know I like Klipsch. The depth of the window is 5 inches. Are there other in wall speakers that are really good that have adjustable aim-able tweeters that are less than 5 inches deep? I'd like to stay less than $500 each for LRC but would consider up to $1k each. I currently like the high sensitivity of the RP280 towers I'm using.

I do notice while currently having the center under the screen that it is slightly noticeable that the voices are not coming from the center of the screen and bothers me a little, but not a ton. I don't know if it would bother me more with time or I would get used to it and it would become normal. I am used to having the center under my TV but the screen is 2x as tall so its more noticeable.

Where is the optimal place to mount the speakers behind the screen? I am either going to go with a 165 inch or 180 inch 16:9 screen if I did go AT. My ears are about 44 inches off the ground. But the screens center will be between 55-66 high depending on the screen and how high I mount it off of the floor. Do I place the tweeters at the screen center or ears center? How far left and right do I place the LR speakers if the screen between 145-157 wide? As wide as I can get them?

EDIT: and something else to consider is that this is my large living room, not a dedicated theater room. If I were to go AT the only screen I know of that is high gain and ALR and acoustic transparent is the Slate 1.2 from SI which will cost upwards of $6k, + new LRC in-wall speakers + paying someone to put up the drywall in the window if that would even work + paying for installing the in-wall speakers. Yes, that is all doable but expensive.

Otherwise I would go with a less expensive high gain ALR screen and just have the center be below and save the money / work...

Maybe I should clear off the wall completely (shelves and current tv are there) and put up a sheet and watch movies for a week or two to help decide.

I appreciate everyones insight!
DunMunro likes this.

Last edited by Drew1204; 04-07-2020 at 11:40 PM.
post #21 of 61 Old 04-08-2020, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Here's a NX-5/6050UB side by side match up:

post #22 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Here's a NX-5/6050UB side by side match up:

https://youtu.be/0Tt6qa7qllQ
When everyone tells us the lumens are lower on the Epson with its filter in place compared to the JVC this doesn’t appear to be the case based on this video or what he says which is odd.

We do know that once calibrated colours of each look remarkably similar and I know it’s hard to see if it’s true but based on the video the blacks didn’t come across as hugely better on the JVC.

Movie Image collection
post #23 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
When everyone tells us the lumens are lower on the Epson with its filter in place compared to the JVC this doesn’t appear to be the case based on this video or what he says which is odd.

We do know that once calibrated colours of each look remarkably similar and I know it’s hard to see if it’s true but based on the video the blacks didn’t come across as hugely better on the JVC.
You are judging a projectors performance by a video? And judging the black level performance and contrast by a video shot in a white room? With filter in place, yes, the Epson has less lumens than the JVC with filter in place. Without filter the Epson has more lumens than the JVC.
post #24 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And hearing his impressions like the colors pop more in SDR etc is meaningless.

Both projectors can be calibrated to the same color gamut and both will do 100% of rec709.

All he’s doing is talking about how they look out of the box... once calibrated there is no reason the colors would “pop” whatever that means or look any different between the two.

And he said the HDR is better on the Epson? There’s just no way compared to Frame Adapt HDR on the JVC.

I’m sure he doesn’t have the settings set right or calibrated at all.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #25 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This guys comparison videos are terrible. You can’t use them for a real comparison. You’re talking about non calibrated projectors in a non light controlled room with a ambient light rejecting screen. And it’s all coming from a guy who does speaker comparisons on YouTube....
But he did make sure to use identical HDMIs so neither projector had a leg up...
Dirk504 likes this.

Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL-120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|
JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub
post #26 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are judging a projectors performance by a video? And judging the black level performance and contrast by a video shot in a white room? With filter in place, yes, the Epson has less lumens than the JVC with filter in place. Without filter the Epson has more lumens than the JVC.
I believe they use a SI Slate 1.2 screen so I think this will be similar if they were projecting these two projectors on a white screen in a properly light controlled room. In any case it's still an interesting comparison of top high end projectors and how they differ in crispness and motion handling.

And no I don't believe everything I see in a video, but since the guy doing the test also commented that the Epson appeared brighter.

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 04-09-2020 at 07:00 AM.
post #27 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I believe they use a SI Slate 1.2 screen so I think this will be similar if they were projecting these two projectors on a white screen in a properly light controlled room.

And no I don't believe everything I see in a video, but since the guy doing the test also commented that the Epson appeared brighter and since it's the one actually mounted to the ceiling I'm reckoning it's the permanent in situ projector and he will know the correct settings for HDR plus I can only assume it's been properly calibrtated for the screen.
Placing a Slate 1.2 gain ALR screen in a white room is not remotely the same as placing a white screen in a good light controlled room. The projectors are not D65 calibrated. When he talks about colors popping more for SDR, that tells you right there, not calibrated, because both projectors do 100% Rec709, so colors would be the same. He bought and already owned the Epson, that is why it is mounted. The dealer loaned him the JVC, because he gave them a plug and bought his Epson from them.
nathan_h likes this.
post #28 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Placing a Slate 1.2 gain ALR screen in a white room is not remotely the same as placing a white screen in a good light controlled room. The projectors are not D65 calibrated. When he talks about colors popping more for SDR, that tells you right there, not calibrated, because both projectors do 100% Rec709, so colors would be the same. He bought and already owned the Epson, that is why it is mounted. The dealer loaned him the JVC, because he gave them a plug and bought his Epson from them.
I think you look at my previous post I did say that if both projectors are calibrated they will match of colours or at the very least be very similar.

Glad to learn this about the screen differences but as this was the same for both projectors we can only assume that it’s a fair comparison. I would be surprised if this Epson wasn’t at least properly calibrated since it’s his own unit but who knows.

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 04-09-2020 at 12:00 PM.
post #29 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I thought the colors on the epson were wacked, red push and blown out whites but that's the trade off to get more brightness.

I'm a brightness freak that likes calibrated color so frankly neither of those setups he had would work for me. Higher gain screen and or lens was needed for the JVC.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #30 of 61 Old 04-09-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:

I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to do a side by side, but in the conditions prevailing there wasn't that much of a visible difference. However. I was interested in seeing the NX-5 DTM in action and it did seem to prevent blown out highlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page