• 1 Post By rboster
  • 1 Post By zombie10k

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 24
JVC faceplate replacement?

So the other day, a terrible thing happened... my RS4910 fell out of its mount from about 8 feet and smashed face-first into the carpet. The faceplate broke off and is basically ruined... one of the side vents broke off completely. I was devastated, and shocked to learn that the thing still functions as if nothing happened. Alignment is perfect. Incredible. I managed to get what's left of the faceplate put back on and it is currently cobbled together... but would obviously like to replace this and get it back to like-new cosmetic condition. Any advice on where to find something like this? Is it even possible? I haven't called JVC, but I suppose I can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
So the other day, a terrible thing happened... my RS4910 fell out of its mount from about 8 feet and smashed face-first into the carpet. The faceplate broke off and is basically ruined... one of the side vents broke off completely. I was devastated, and shocked to learn that the thing still functions as if nothing happened. Alignment is perfect. Incredible. I managed to get what's left of the faceplate put back on and it is currently cobbled together... but would obviously like to replace this and get it back to like-new cosmetic condition. Any advice on where to find something like this? Is it even possible? I haven't called JVC, but I suppose I can. Thanks.
Dennis:

We are brothers in arms (as in arms that dropped our projectors). At least it's your mount's fault. In my case, I've been without an HT for a year. Finally, after completing almost all the other to-do items for the DIY version 1.0 of my HT....I took the projector out of the box and proceeded to mount it. After a couple of attemps, I couldn't quite get the plate to push correctly in the mount on one side AND....it slipped and fell out of my hands about 5ft on the carpet. It' broke a rear corner of the case. Still functions perfectly. But, I never moaned in emotional pain an F bomb like I did just then. My wife thought I broke my leg.

All that being said.....

Here's what you can do...send your projector into Mendtronix. Mendtronix is the warranty repair center for JVC. I know your repair isn't under warranty, but they can order the correct case/parts for the repair/replacement of the outer case. They will also give it the once over to determine if it needs a slight tune up as well.

The downside is the cost from KC to ship my previous JVC was about $100 with insurance (yes, please get insurance). Their cost to ship back is cheaper, but you'll have the cost of shipping plus repairs, so it may not be real cheap. But, believe me when I say, I of all people understand your pain.

If you would do me a favor and keep this thread updated on your journey. I'd love to know the costs (you can send me a PM if you don't want to discuss the cost in the thread).

Good Luck and God Speed

Ron

https://mendtronix.com/projector-and...panel-service/
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
Dang it

I left out a REALLY important part of servicing through Mendtronix.

When you fill out the repair form on line AND the day it arrives in the repair center, CALL them to remind them you want them to keep the JVC original box you sent the projector in and all the packing materials. They will under SOP throw the box out and ship it back in one of their boxes. How do I know, because that's what happened to me. How do I know they'll do replacement parts for the case? Cause when they sent the projector back in their box, Fed ex damaged the corner of the projector case and I had to send it back to have them replace that part of the case.

So tell them in the form to KEEP the original box AND call them the day it arrives to remind them to not throw your box away. And, buy insurance
skylarlove1999 likes this.

FS: Tannoy AMS DC8 Speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-speakers.html

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you immensely for all the valuable information.

The only problem is that... there is no way I am sending this in to Mendtronix. If I can't find the part online and install it myself, then I will just bite the bullet and run the thing into the ground. I was hoping to sell it in the next year in order to upgrade to a 400 or better... but this issue complicates that extremely. The installation of the piece itself is rather clear to me... I just don't know where to get it.

Does anybody know if this faceplate thing is the same on the x790, or whatever similar model is still being produced?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13791 Post(s)
Liked: 11435
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thank you immensely for all the valuable information.

The only problem is that... there is no way I am sending this in to Mendtronix. If I can't find the part online and install it myself, then I will just bite the bullet and run the thing into the ground. I was hoping to sell it in the next year in order to upgrade to a 400 or better... but this issue complicates that extremely. The installation of the piece itself is rather clear to me... I just don't know where to get it.

Does anybody know if this faceplate thing is the same on the x790, or whatever similar model is still being produced?
The housing was just changed when JVC went to native 4K, so any of the housings from RS40 to the new models should work. A bunch of them listed for parts are on the bay. Just do a search for "JVC projector for parts".
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Mike. I knew they were similar, but not that they were exact.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5674 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Dennis this might help you locate the part. JVC has the service manual for the RS40/50/60 and lists all the part #'s in the document. once you have the part # you can contact the JVC parts center to see if you can buy it.

https://store.jvc.com/catalog.php?id=6172
rboster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page