1Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 7 Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Projector for HTPC

I have my eye on epson 6050 which is at the top of my budget $4,000 for a 16x10 room. I would only watch online streaming stuff and movies i have on my hard drive that i watch from on MadVr. Most of my movies are 720 or 1080p and maybe like 6 to 7 4k movies. But i guess my question is would the epson 6050 be good for something where the source is only a HTPC. i knw its just a 4k e-shift projector but im pretty sure madvr will upscale to 4k even though most of my movies are 1080p. I have a 1080 gtx just laying around doing nothing, would that be good enough for the GPU? I think i read something that the RTX series were better for watching movies on madvr. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 89
* The 6050 is an excellent projector for its price.
* gtx 1080 is more than sufficient for upscaling with madvr.

You cannot go wrong with this setup, just make sure that you set up madvr correctly, otherwise you won't benefit from its possibilities.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6806 Post(s)
Liked: 4927
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
I have my eye on epson 6050 which is at the top of my budget $4,000 for a 16x10 room. I would only watch online streaming stuff and movies i have on my hard drive that i watch from on MadVr. Most of my movies are 720 or 1080p and maybe like 6 to 7 4k movies. But i guess my question is would the epson 6050 be good for something where the source is only a HTPC. i knw its just a 4k e-shift projector but im pretty sure madvr will upscale to 4k even though most of my movies are 1080p. I have a 1080 gtx just laying around doing nothing, would that be good enough for the GPU? I think i read something that the RTX series were better for watching movies on madvr. Thanks
You should contact some of the online dealers that post here on the forums. At your listed budget, I wouldn't be surprised if you could score a JVC NX5 - although we aren't allowed to list specific prices. GTX 1080TI is plenty for 4K upscaling. Epson will be the least common denominator in your setup.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You should contact some of the online dealers that post here on the forums. At your listed budget, I wouldn't be surprised if you could score a JVC NX5 - although we aren't allowed to list specific prices. GTX 1080TI is plenty for 4K upscaling. Epson will be the least common denominator in your setup.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you show me what section that would be? i looked at the classified dealer deals section but i didnt see anything there nor do i think its the right section, also i only have a 1080 not a TI, thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2020, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6806 Post(s)
Liked: 4927
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you show me what section that would be? i looked at the classified dealer deals section but i didnt see anything there nor do i think its the right section, also i only have a 1080 not a TI, thanks
Perhaps try mike garett at avscience? He's a member of the forum and sometimes even has some b-stock projectors available. A 1080 is also going to do a pretty good job.
Mike Garrett likes this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
But i guess my question is would the epson 6050 be good for something where the source is only a HTPC.
Only a HTPC? A HTPC is just as good, if not better than discrete sources. And once everything is set up and you have all your physical media backed up onto it, it is so much more convenient to use. There's no reason an HTPC can't provide 4K UHD along with Atmos/DTS-X sound, assuming you're connecting it to an AVR that recognizes these formats.

If your movie collection is a bunch of highly compressed bootleg copies, the low quality picture and sound has nothing to do with the HTPC and everything to do with the source file. But if your movie libraries are 1:1 backups of the originals, the quality should be indistinguishable from a standalone UHD Blu-Ray player.

So in short, no projector is "too good" for a HTPC. I'm sure there are RS4500 owners who run it from a HTPC of some sort.

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html

Last edited by danlw2; 05-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2020, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14029 Post(s)
Liked: 11693
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
But after seeing HDR on a good projector, I suspect you will want to watch more 4K HDR movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page