My wife took over my man cave and now its a HER Cave - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 191Likes

post #61 of 89 Old 05-14-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
I completely get it.... I was a IT hardware tech many moons ago for several years on the help desk....

Juju
Oh yeah, back when the current company (have been here for nearly 15 years) was smaller, aside from dev I had to do tech support / deployments etc. And dealing that over a phone is somewhat tough... I'm glad I didn't have to do it that often without remote access. I didn't mind that though to be honest. But sometimes it could be very frustrating when trying to do it blind using a user on site to diagnose stuff like serial comms issues...
SuperFist and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 05-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Oh yeah, back when the current company (have been here for nearly 15 years) was smaller, aside from dev I had to do tech support / deployments etc. And dealing that over a phone is somewhat tough... I'm glad I didn't have to do it that often without remote access. I didn't mind that though to be honest. But sometimes it could be very frustrating when trying to do it blind using a user on site to diagnose stuff like serial comms issues...
Absolutely.... I dealt mostly with workgroup server farms and their connections to the data center storage, sometimes flashing images to the end user desktops. On occasion I had to repair a users desktop PC. I don't miss that life at all....

Juju
SuperFist likes this.

Sub List: 1- Red Five Mini V1 Devastator 18" w/PA460, 1- Red Five Devastator LFE 21", 1- Red Five Devastator 21" Finalizer V2 DF , 1- BOSS platform [The Hideaway Theater], 2- 18" "Full Marty" tuned to 17Hz w/RSS460HO
Wish List: Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #63 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I don’t have my wife over taking the Theater room but my 1 yr old twins have a big ol play area to the right of the screen setup. Luckily it’s gated off from everything ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81D455E0-F8B4-43A9-9698-0F6722A9F336_1589526510653.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2726522  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD777 View Post
I don’t have my wife over taking the Theater room but my 1 yr old twins have a big ol play area to the right of the screen setup. Luckily it’s gated off from everything ha.
What is the movie there?
post #65 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
We have wives that like home theater and don't mind what we do in them - we are lucky Mike.
My wife likes HT too and we use it together often. The one place she does draw the line is with the sound volume... It is always (somehow) too loud!
Jive Turkey, Azekecse and tnaik4 like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #66 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
My wife likes HT too and we use it together often. The one place she does draw the line is with the sound volume... It is always (somehow) too loud!
mine always ask to put it louder lol, she says its more immersive when its very loud, but i have neighbors now and i dont want to annoy them ( -15db it is ) , cant wait to move to my new house so i can blast that sound, i noticed she likes around 0db then it becomes too loud for her.
Archibald1 likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #67 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
What is the movie there?
Workaholics. Comedy series that used to be on Comedy Central.
SuperFist likes this.
post #68 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
I am actually LOLing at this.
Well I'm pulling the trigger on the projector next week. Sooo i am so excited.... She gets the eye on this i will send her back to her cave lol....
MOberhardt likes this.
post #69 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveMillionWays View Post
Well I'm pulling the trigger on the projector next week. Sooo i am so excited.... She gets the eye on this i will send her back to her cave lol....
Whichever is the better projector, put it in your room. She won't care about the AV, just the selfish bullying...
post #70 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My wife hardly ever comes in the home theater. She'd rather watch movies in the bedroom, instead of "coming all the way upstairs". My 6yr old son loves the home theater though. Every weekend we watch movies and he has to have his butter popcorn and toy for whatever movie we're watching in hand. After our house was built, I told my wife she can have every room, but just give me the media room and game room.
post #71 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7937 Post(s)
Liked: 10294
Quote:
Same here, but I do have friends that like it cranked up - when my wife is busy and not watching !
skylarlove1999 and Archibald1 like this.
post #72 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
My wife doesn't care except for the subwoofer. She always relegates me to 5.0!

She even brainwashed my kids. They make me turn it down to about a quarter of the volume I like.
post #73 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post

She even brainwashed my kids. They make me turn it down to about a quarter of the volume I like.
Ouch.

Get Crowsons. I highly recommend them. Can get ultra low freq effects without the sound. I wish I'd gotten mine earlier.
post #74 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Ouch.

Get Crowsons. I highly recommend them. Can get ultra low freq effects without the sound. I wish I'd gotten mine earlier.
That's not what she's against. Like I said she's not against sounds you can hear which is why I can keep the 5, it's the sub frequencies you can't hear, but feel. She says it makes her dizzy. So your suggestion would just be worse.
post #75 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 7170
Quote:
That's not what she's against. Like I said she's not against sounds you can hear which is why I can keep the 5, it's the sub frequencies you can't hear, but feel. She says it makes her dizzy. So your suggestion would just be worse.
Not if you just install them on your chair.
skylarlove1999 and Azekecse like this.
post #76 of 89 Old 05-15-2020, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
That could actually very well be the case. Certain frequencies, well all kinds of frequencies, can make people physical ill in one way or another. With that said, do you have your system calibrated? If you do, you could possible try to do a 75 instead of 80hz.
post #77 of 89 Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Not if you just install them on your chair.
Yes sir, I pulled my Buttkickers out of mothballs. Originally installed on the chair, but didn't work well because they were mounted sideways. So, now I have both on my chair using couch plates, works out well for me.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #78 of 89 Old 05-16-2020, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
This is not good! Do you need any legal advise?

LoL.
post #79 of 89 Old 05-16-2020, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Wow. Looking at all this I think I lucked out. My wife has been very supportive with the theater and pretty much did not interfere in anything I purchased. She actually helped me wrap up the spandex panels and the surrounding panels for my AT screen as well. We have different movie tastes; so she just watches what she wants on her phone while working in the kitchen etc. whereas I use my theater by myself. I also sit and work there. The only interruption I have is from my 3 and 6 year old daughters who often come downstairs.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
MOberhardt and skylarlove1999 like this.

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
post #80 of 89 Old 05-16-2020, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Wow. Looking at all this I think I lucked out. My wife has been very supportive with the theater and pretty much did not interfere in anything I purchased. She actually helped me wrap up the spandex panels and the surrounding panels for my AT screen as well. We have different movie tastes; so she just watches what she wants on her phone while working in the kitchen etc. whereas I use my theater by myself. I also sit and work there. The only interruption I have is from my 3 and 6 year old daughters who often come downstairs.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I think it's great she loves it so much, she watches everything in the theatre and when she sees what I'm doing downstairs she will migrate to me.
post #81 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:

Yeah, I hear you.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #82 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
I built my original theater as a home addon in 2009. She wanted a room with a lot of windows (sort of like a sunroom but insulated) and I wanted a theater. We added on 1700 sq feet to the house lol. Lucky for me, my wife really doesn't are how much I spend on the theater or what I do in there. In fact, I've replaced projectors, screens, speakers etc my wife never even knew. I went from 2 rows to 3 rows and she didnt realize that until I brought her in to show her. I've probably spent over $100k in here and she doesn't complain at all (as long as we aren't going into any debt over it). Originally I put in grey carpet, but that only lasted a couple weeks, it was too bright. It was ripped out and replaced with black. The room has no windows, velvet on the walls, its really just my room.

At first, my wife and 3 kids all liked the theater. But my wife's a pretty simple to please person and never goes in the theater alone. My kids use to be in there all the time. I use the theater daily for watching TV and playing games. I was constantly having to kick my kids and friends out of there and it got pretty annoying. When my kids were younger like 14, I had to kick them and their friends out of my room because they were holding wrestling tournaments in there. I was pretty pissed.

A few years ago (maybe 2015) I reworked the whole theater. It's completely HTPC controlled from turning on and off the gear to playing back all the content. No one here knows how to turn it on. (It actually turns on with one button on my laptop in the other room). That was the best thing I've ever done. Simply, no one knows how to use it but me. A few months ago, one of my kids (22 years old now) asked if she could watch a movie in here when I wasn't home. I just told her sorry, it's too complex to explain and that was that.

This room is truly mine. No one even comes in here to clean - I do that all myself.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #83 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13759 Post(s)
Liked: 11408
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I went the opposite route. I spent money so that my system is simple to use, so that my wife and kids can use it any time, even if I am not there. Also black pit.
skylarlove1999 and Azekecse like this.
post #84 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I went the opposite route. I spent money so that my system is simple to use, so that my wife and kids can use it any time, even if I am not there. Also black pit.
Me as well. I would feel guilty keeping a home theater to just myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #85 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I built my original theater as a home addon in 2009. She wanted a room with a lot of windows (sort of like a sunroom but insulated) and I wanted a theater. We added on 1700 sq feet to the house lol. Lucky for me, my wife really doesn't are how much I spend on the theater or what I do in there. In fact, I've replaced projectors, screens, speakers etc my wife never even knew. I went from 2 rows to 3 rows and she didnt realize that until I brought her in to show her. I've probably spent over $100k in here and she doesn't complain at all (as long as we aren't going into any debt over it). Originally I put in grey carpet, but that only lasted a couple weeks, it was too bright. It was ripped out and replaced with black. The room has no windows, velvet on the walls, its really just my room.

At first, my wife and 3 kids all liked the theater. But my wife's a pretty simple to please person and never goes in the theater alone. My kids use to be in there all the time. I use the theater daily for watching TV and playing games. I was constantly having to kick my kids and friends out of there and it got pretty annoying. When my kids were younger like 14, I had to kick them and their friends out of my room because they were holding wrestling tournaments in there. I was pretty pissed.

A few years ago (maybe 2015) I reworked the whole theater. It's completely HTPC controlled from turning on and off the gear to playing back all the content. No one here knows how to turn it on. (It actually turns on with one button on my laptop in the other room). That was the best thing I've ever done. Simply, no one knows how to use it but me. A few months ago, one of my kids (22 years old now) asked if she could watch a movie in here when I wasn't home. I just told her sorry, it's too complex to explain and that was that.

This room is truly mine. No one even comes in here to clean - I do that all myself.
that is exactly how i go about it, my nbr 1 rule is that i spend as much as i want on my hobby which is home theater/gaming without any questions asked, of course without going into any debt like u said.
One good thing is that i dont live in the States or i would be broke by now hahaha. ive been eyeing the JVC Z1 for some time and wanted to buy it but due to our economic situation in my country i couldnt even find a way to get the money to Craig lol.
markmon1 likes this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #86 of 89 Old 05-17-2020, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you have a topic with photo,s of your HT?
post #87 of 89 Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Amazing. I should have done that. Wait till she sees what I’m going to the master.
markmon1 likes this.
post #88 of 89 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I am sharing my theater with a wife and three teenagers.

On top of it my flight simulator (WW2 and sailplanes) is in a corner and my son is getting me more and more
worried as I find him more and more often on my 950w watercooled rig with the chair pushed out of the way,
bouncing in oblivion to his Oculus Quest PC-link VR adventures.

I too got volume and bass neutered for a while until I replaced the ceiling tiles with fiberglass and rolled acoustic mat on top, walls covered in 24x24x2" burlap coated panels, same for doors.

In the end it is a happy family, we all make compromises, though sometimes I show my teeth to
enforce the pecking order in the clan
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Furman IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1), Sony UBP-X800 & S5500RF(PAL), Apple-64GB, Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass) > Epson-LS10500/Carada1.4, Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor > Classé CA-2200 & CA-5200, two Zamp v.3 > Paradigm S8v.2, C5, ADP3, S2, Servo15v2, CI Pro P-80A 7.4.1

Last edited by bobpaule; Yesterday at 08:51 PM.
post #89 of 89 Old Today, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Me as well. I would feel guilty keeping a home theater to just myself.
Originally, this is how things were built and set up. But the facts are, wife really doesn't care about the room. For example, if we are going to watch a movie, every single time, she asks if we are going to go in the theater or just stay out here and watch in the family room. She really doesn't care. My kids don't like the volume loud at all, my son doesn't like bass. I have 3 absolutely identical remotes one for each main seat, but when I let anyone else use it they're either *all* on the same table after, or 2 are on the same table and one is missing. No one respected the room, no one cares for what it is but me, so now it's just mine.

I didn't purposely make it impossible for them to learn how to turn it on, but as I made things automated it was just easier not to worry about them. I mean one button in my other room laptop fires up my HTPC, fires up my projector, fires up the receiver, turns the lights on, fires up the room air conditioner and starts my automated zone cooling program which opens and closes the theater vents as needed to keep cool, and starts the projector warm up cycle. I simply didn't make any effort to make this easy for them when I created all that stuff. It would be easy to make it tied to one button on my remote if I wanted, for example. But them not knowing how to start this stuff up works in my favor. No one has even asked to come in here for a long time.
MOberhardt likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.

Last edited by markmon1; Today at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page