JVC Curve compare and adjust app - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By anevard
  • 1 Post By anevard

post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 21
JVC Curve compare and adjust app

*EDIT 2020-05-24* Updates and latest version here

Looking for projects, I have been playing with an Excel app to allow graphing of various JVC autocal .jgd and Arve .conf curves, with conversion between them and low end adjustments. I just recently added c-spline code from Doug Jenkins that makes the interpolation a bit more accurate, sometimes.

The functionality is pretty complete for now, but there is very little error correction in the code. I am not a mathematician, just an AV enthusiast with a bit of an Excel/VBA skill set. I am sure that from a pure accuracy perspective, this is not the perfect tool, but I am having fun comparing and playing with some of the fantastic custom curves that are out there.

I am posting the Excel file here for anyone that wants to play with it. It is a file with a lot of VBA code, so you have to enable the code to run. Most of the sheets are password protected to prevent messing things up. The plotting sheet is not yet as there is a fair amount of coding cleanup needed to allow that to work. If you want to look under the hood, PM me and I'll give you the password.

It will read from and write to .jgd and .conf files. However it will only write the data table to the .conf files. Arve's tool will be able to open it and upload to the PJ but it will no longer be able to manipulate it. JVC Autocal should be able to open the .jgd files and upload them, but I haven't tried it yet. .jgd files only have 14 data points, while Arve .conf files have 256, so I am more interested in outputting Arve .conf files, although you can do either.

I am having fun with it, comparing various curves and adjusting them. Hopefully it is pretty straight forward, as I have not yet drafted any instructions, but happy to walk anyone through it. I did a lot of cleanup today, so hopefully I didn't introduce any bugs.

PLEASE use this at your own risk. I can't be responsible for any issues with loading curves into your PJ.

Some pics:

Data IO

Low end adjustments

Multiple curve graph - 12 .jgd - 12 .conf - 12 adjusted

Top end zoom any area can be zoomed into.

Bottom end zoom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Graph.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	2727364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DataIO.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	2727366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamma adjust.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	2727368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart zoom top.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2727370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart zoom low.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2727372  

Attached Files
File Type: zip Gamma plot V9.91 RC1.xlsm.zip (315.4 KB, 4 views)
Javs likes this.

Andrew

Last edited by anevard; 05-24-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked: 6834
Quote:
Originally Posted by anevard View Post
Looking for projects, I have been playing with an Excel app to allow graphing of various JVC autocal .jgd and Arve .conf curves, with conversion between them and low end adjustments. I just recently added c-spline code from Doug Jenkins that makes the interpolation a bit more accurate, sometimes.

The functionality is pretty complete for now, but there is very little error correction in the code. I am not a mathematician, just an AV enthusiast with a bit of an Excel/VBA skill set. I am sure that from a pure accuracy perspective, this is not the perfect tool, but I am having fun comparing and playing with some of the fantastic custom curves that are out there.

I am posting the Excel file here for anyone that wants to play with it. It is a file with a lot of VBA code, so you have to enable the code to run. Most of the sheets are password protected to prevent messing things up. The plotting sheet is not yet as there is a fair amount of coding cleanup needed to allow that to work. If you want to look under the hood, PM me and I'll give you the password.

It will read from and write to .jgd and .conf files. However it will only write the data table to the .conf files. Arve's tool will be able to open it and upload to the PJ but it will no longer be able to manipulate it. JVC Autocal should be able to open the .jgd files and upload them, but I haven't tried it yet. .jgd files only have 14 data points, while Arve .conf files have 256, so I am more interested in outputting Arve .conf files, although you can do either.

I am having fun with it, comparing various curves and adjusting them. Hopefully it is pretty straight forward, as I have not yet drafted any instructions, but happy to walk anyone through it. I did a lot of cleanup today, so hopefully I didn't introduce any bugs.

PLEASE use this at your own risk. I can't be responsible for any issues with loading curves into your PJ.
Nice job,

That looks like a hell of a lot of work for the ability to do things that the Arve tool already does?

What can you do with this that you cant do with the Arve tool?

You can even plot curve in the Arve tool. I guess if its for quickly visualising thats useful.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Nice job,

That looks like a hell of a lot of work for the ability to do things that the Arve tool already does?

What can you do with this that you cant do with the Arve tool?

You can even plot curve in the Arve tool. I guess if its for quickly visualising thats useful.
Arve's tool is fantastic! This is not meant in any way to do what it can do. However, I find it difficult to compare curves in it. That was the original motivation for creating this. After that it wasn't too difficult to add the ability to play around with the near black area of the curves, something which I feel Arve's tool is missing.

What you can do with this may not fit into reference quality adjustments, but I find it allows me to play with and visualize some curves, like all of your various versions, after they have been created with Arve's tool or AutoCal.

Given the current state of the universe, projects like this are more fun than doing 1000 piece puzzles. (OK we are doing that too!)
Javs likes this.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Latest version is at the bottom of this post.

2020-05-24 There may be a bug with the .conf file output. I think I have it figured out. Will update later.
LATER: Turns out it is not a bug. Arve's tool needs a curve already loaded to populate certain parameters before it can properly load a raw table. When I have some time I will make some adjustments to the .conf file that my spreadsheet is outputting to prevent the Arve tool error message. Otherwise just make sure that you load any curve in Arve's tool prior to importing a .conf with a raw data table into it.

Some updates:
  • Added data-point labels, with user on-off choice per curve
  • Cleaned up interface
  • Cleaned up some code
  • Fixed some bugs with turning on and off curves

To Do:
  • Allow axis labels and data-points to be in nits, if user chooses
  • Fix .jgd data-points when interpolation is off
  • Add adjustment data to json .conf file. Ensure it does not interfere with Arve tool loading ability
  • Compare converted curves to actual PJ curves
  • Find better adjustment methods
  • Add additional curve adjustments
  • Simplify scrolling to bottom and top of curve
  • Make scrolling more efficient with data-points
  • Add button to print graph to image file
  • Better error correction
  • More cleanup

Some curves showing low end with data-points

Double clicking curve color cell toggles data labels, white font indicates labels on

Right clicking curve color cell allows color selection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ColourChoice.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2731826   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Text.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2731828   Click image for larger version

Name:	DataPoint Curves.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2731830  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gamma plot V9.96R.xlsm.zip (319.1 KB, 1 views)

Andrew

Last edited by anevard; 05-26-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page