First Projector - Is this deal good enough to buy a year in advance? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chad Belletete
  • 1 Post By JeffG02
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all! So we're about to break ground on a new house that will include my very first media room. Plans are for a dark room, dark ceiling (but not black). I will have a couple of windows on a side wall because it will be used a lot for sports watching, but will have blackout shades.

Anyway, I'm doing my early research and was considering the Epson 6050 for the lumens but went into a retail store yesterday and they had a Sony VW295ES in one of their showrooms and it looked fantastic, even with the lights on and a ton of light flooding in from the rear of the showroom through large glass doors. Even my wife who was previously rolling her eyes about my theater room, is now excited after seeing it. He said they have a couple of these that were open box, either returns or used as a demo. Full 3 year warranty, etc. Price was a substantial savings vs retail.

Even with that good of a price, is it dumb to buy a projector that will literally sit in a box for probably 9-12 months before it's actually turned on? I imagine a lot of things can change in the projector world in that amount of time?

Last edited by JeffG02; 05-17-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2020, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yeah... I would wait. The prices will only go down on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13759 Post(s)
Liked: 11408
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffG02 View Post
Hey all! So we're about to break ground on a new house that will include my very first media room. Plans are for a dark room, dark ceiling (but not black). I will have a couple of windows on a side wall because it will be used a lot for sports watching, but will have blackout shades.

Anyway, I'm doing my early research and was considering the Epson 6050 for the lumens but went into a retail store yesterday and they had a Sony VW295ES in one of their showrooms and it looked fantastic, even with the lights on and a ton of light flooding in from the rear of the showroom through large glass doors. Even my wife who was previously rolling her eyes about my theater room, is now excited after seeing it. He said they have a couple of these that were open box, either returns or used as a demo. Full 3 year warranty, etc. The price was $XXXX. Seems to be a really good price for this projector.

Even with that good of a price, is it dumb to buy a projector that will literally sit in a box for probably 9-12 months before it's actually turned on? I imagine a lot of things can change in the projector world in that amount of time?
You should remove the street pricing before a Mod sees it. As for buying a projector to let sit for 9 to 12 months, don't do it. If you were going to use it in a temporary setup, then it would be okay, but not to just sit on a shelf unused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You should remove the street pricing before a Mod sees it. As for buying a projector to let sit for 9 to 12 months, don't do it. If you were going to use it in a temporary setup, then it would be okay, but not to just sit on a shelf unused.
Thank you both for confirming my initial reaction. The good deals are tempting, but buying one for a room that literally won't exist for almost a year just seems crazy. For one, thats a full year warranty gone.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Thank you both for confirming my initial reaction. The good deals are tempting, but buying one for a room that literally won't exist for almost a year just seems crazy. For one, thats a full year warranty gone.
I very much doubt much will have changed technology wise in the next year especially with the pandemic probably putting back development/release of new models but what you might find over the coming months is even better deals than you are currently seeing.

Hold tight for a bit longer.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Hey all! So we're about to break ground on a new house that will include my very first media room. ... Price was a substantial savings vs retail.

I pretty much just finished going through this. We just moved into our new build just over a month ago (~9 months to build). I can't stress this enough: just wait. From the start, our "bonus room" was always going to be a theater and it even influenced which floor plan we went with. Made design decisions (paint, pre-wiring, outlets, etc.) accordingly along the way.

Well, come time to actually buy everything (~2 weeks ago), I ended up making a bunch of changes to what I had been "planning." Examples: went 2.35 instead of 16:9; non-AT screen instead of AT; upgraded PJ from what I had been planning (went with NX5) which leads to moving a few speaker placements and electric for the the PJ mount (longer throw needed because of the changes).

All that to say even with all the planning, you just don't know until you get in there. I wouldn't buy any hardware until its done and you are moved in. After that, give it a week or two to fully decide on what you want and then find the best deals you can at the time.

As for "savings" those will always be there vs retail big-box stores. Don't try to save $500 or $1k now and be stuck with something. You don't know what you'll actually want then (both personal preferences and tech changes).
dbturbo2 and JeffG02 like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2020, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Belletete View Post
I pretty much just finished going through this. We just moved into our new build just over a month ago (~9 months to build). I can't stress this enough: just wait. From the start, our "bonus room" was always going to be a theater and it even influenced which floor plan we went with. Made design decisions (paint, pre-wiring, outlets, etc.) accordingly along the way.

Well, come time to actually buy everything (~2 weeks ago), I ended up making a bunch of changes to what I had been "planning." Examples: went 2.35 instead of 16:9; non-AT screen instead of AT; upgraded PJ from what I had been planning (went with NX5) which leads to moving a few speaker placements and electric for the the PJ mount (longer throw needed because of the changes).

All that to say even with all the planning, you just don't know until you get in there. I wouldn't buy any hardware until its done and you are moved in. After that, give it a week or two to fully decide on what you want and then find the best deals you can at the time.

As for "savings" those will always be there vs retail big-box stores. Don't try to save $500 or $1k now and be stuck with something. You don't know what you'll actually want then (both personal preferences and tech changes).
Thank you, this reinforces what was in the back of my mind. You know the feeling when you're in the store and sitting in front of it, and you are thinking "seriously, I could save $X,XXX...look how awesome this is...etc" but I know the practical/research side of me says, "Don't do it."
Chad Belletete likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6525 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
Quote:
Plus the warranty countdown starts when you purchase it not when you start using it.
JeffG02 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page