What do you think of HDR function in Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Vankyo
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By Archibald1

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What do you think of HDR function in Projector?

Hi all, as you known HDR function makes image more similar with our visual perception. Do you think it is important feature in projector? Does your projector features HDR function?

Welcome to share screenshot before open HDR and after open HDR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2728362   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2728364  
skylarlove1999 and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankyo View Post
Hi all, as you known HDR function makes image more similar with our visual perception. Do you think it is important feature in projector? Does your projector features HDR function?

Welcome to share screenshot before open HDR and after open HDR.
The thing I find interesting with those two images is that when you look at a scene such as that with your eyes, due to you looking directly towards the sun and you will see the sun pretty much like the first image (i.e. super bright and drowning out any nearby detail) but with colours and depth etc like the second.

Bringing those two things together on a display is a matter of many compromises and how it looks to you/me is always down to individual perception as well.

Sure you can make the image 'accurate' in video terms with patterns and test signals and suchlike, but that may not match how any one individual may perceive things. It is a thorny subject for some.

I for one love the effect on my PJ.

The higher colour depth and space helps an awful lot too mind!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
I have been laughing at the comparisons way back to when they would put a promo on a DVD showing how much better BluRay will look. The most beautiful thing on the whole DVD was the 10 seconds of what it would look like on BD including the movie. I always thought why didn’t they make the whole movie BD quality if they could make the promo that good.

Now I’m seeing promos for HDR 4k on SDR BDs and again they look like the images posted above.

I have always run my SDR a little on the bright side and yes I know it is not the same thing, but depending on the media and how and who put it on the media it can seem pretty HDR to me.

Posting a couple promo pics for me to view on my laptop doesn’t really say to much to the merits of HDR for me.
Archibald1 likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I have been laughing at the comparisons way back to when they would put a promo on a DVD showing how much better BluRay will look. The most beautiful thing on the whole DVD was the 10 seconds of what it would look like on BD including the movie. I always thought why didn’t they make the whole movie BD quality if they could make the promo that good.

Now I’m seeing promos for HDR 4k on SDR BDs and again they look like the images posted above.

I have always run my SDR a little on the bright side and yes I know it is not the same thing, but depending on the media and how and who put it on the media it can seem pretty HDR to me.

Posting a couple promo pics for me to view on my laptop doesn’t really say to much to the merits of HDR for me.
Indeed. It is all how it looks in person that determines if it is 'worth it'.
bud16415 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
^ Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page