Is it possible to run double or tripple stacked JVC 540u's? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 24 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to run double or tripple stacked JVC 540u's?

Thanks for your time.
- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13758 Post(s)
Liked: 11405
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmHomeTheater View Post
Thanks for your time.
- Andy
Possible, yes, recommended, no. JVC does not recommend double stack, much less triple stack. This is because you would be trying to stack three 3-panel projectors. Would be impossible to get and keep them all converged together.
post #3 of 24 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Possible, yes, recommended, no. JVC does not recommend double stack, much less triple stack. This is because you would be trying to stack three 3-panel projectors. Would be impossible to get and keep them all converged together.
There is nothing inherently impossible about stacking 3-panel projectors including Lcos projectors. Other manufactures make projectors that are by design stackable. If it is impossible to stack JVC projectors that's down to design or lack thereof.

Projectiondesign F30 1080 VizSim with EN15 lens.130" white painted screen.
KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I would think that it would be impossible to get good convergence stacking them With DLP it would probably be much easier.
post #5 of 24 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 2747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmHomeTheater View Post
Thanks for your time.
- Andy
You "could" do it.....but you would spend 99% of you time from that point on chasing convergence on ALL 3 units.. Basically it would be a "Nightmare!"
post #6 of 24 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovercat View Post
There is nothing inherently impossible about stacking 3-panel projectors including Lcos projectors. Other manufactures make projectors that are by design stackable. If it is impossible to stack JVC projectors that's down to design or lack thereof.
Just for the "hell of it" i played around with "2" JVC X7500,s ..stacked. It was a nightmare!!! you would spend time aligning them up then in a VERY short time they "drift" ....it was fun and interesting , but i would NEVER consider it for longterm viewing.

I wouldnt even contemplate "3"
post #7 of 24 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Can you explain the benefits of stacking.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #8 of 24 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Quote:
Just for the "hell of it" i played around with "2" JVC X7500,s ..stacked. It was a nightmare!!! you would spend time aligning them up then in a VERY short time they "drift" ....it was fun and interesting , but i would NEVER consider it for longterm viewing.

I wouldnt even contemplate "3" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
post #9 of 24 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Can you explain the benefits of stacking.
Increased lumens.

KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.
post #10 of 24 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Read my post again. The first word is saying, yes it is possible. But it will be nearly impossible to line up three, three panel projectors. As for not recommended, that is straight from JVC USA, regarding stacking two LCOS projectors.
woofer and DavidHir like this.
post #11 of 24 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You "could" do it.....but you would spend 99% of you time from that point on chasing convergence on ALL 3 units.. Basically it would be a "Nightmare!"
Yes, I said it would be possible to stack, impossible to get them and keep them converged. I have tried stacking two LCOS projectors. Yes, I got more light output. Yes it looked pretty good, but convergence was poor on the two, three would be as you said, a nightmare.
post #12 of 24 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Why not just get a high gain screen?
post #13 of 24 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Read my post again. The first word is saying, yes it is possible. But it will be nearly impossible to line up three, three panel projectors. As for not recommended, that is straight from JVC USA, regarding stacking two LCOS projectors.
You posted "you would be trying to stack three 3-panel projectors. Would be impossible to get and keep them all converged together."
I just pointed out that it is not a inherent limitation of three panel projectors or three panel LCOS projectors. Other projector manufactures have such projectors that are designed to be stackable. Its a limitation of JVC's projectors due to their design or lack thereof.

Bat cave room.
post #14 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Quote:
You posted "you would be trying to stack three 3-panel projectors. Would be impossible to get and keep them all converged together."
I just pointed out that it is not a inherent limitation of three panel projectors or three panel LCOS projectors. Other projector manufactures have such projectors that are designed to be stackable. Its a limitation of JVC's projectors due to their design or lack thereof.
Sony does it with software, not actual true alighnment.
post #15 of 24 Old Today, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Increased lumens.
So it’s sole benefit is increased lumens, surely going for a high gain screen or a projector with more actual lumens output would be the simpler solution than going to all the hassle of stacking.

There must be other reasons than just increased lumens surely. If you told me they stack DLPs to also improve their contrast then I could understand this as they are by design poor in this department but otherwise it just sounds like heartache for what sounds like little gain if it’s purely improved lumens.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; Today at 01:33 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old Today, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
sounds like little gain if it’s purely improved lumens.
Thats exactly what is is..
post #17 of 24 Old Today, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So it’s sole benefit is increased lumens, surely going for a high gain screen or a projector with more actual lumens output would be the simpler solution than going to all the hassle of stacking.

There must be other reasons than just increased lumens surely. If you told me they stack DLPs to also improve their contrast then I could understand this as they are by design poor in this department but otherwise it just sounds like heartache for what sounds like little gain if it’s purely improved lumens.
Most projectors that are designed to be stackable are "relatively" easy to stack, and aimed at least in part at the commercial market where being stackable means they have more versatility in what number and so lumens and screen size and viewing environment they can be setup and used to provide. Also it provides redundancy the display continues to functions all be it at lower lumens even if one fails and the ability to swap out projectors to maintain a display. It might also be cheaper than buying a higher lumen projector or in running costs and maintenance/downtime or in the event of a projector failing and needing to be replaced.

There is a bespoke very high end systems the SIM2 DUO HDR that use dual projectors to somehow achieve better image quality but that is the exception not the norm. The norm is just more lumens.

Bat cave room.
post #18 of 24 Old Today, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most projectors that are designed to be stackable are "relatively" easy to stack, and aimed at least in part at the commercial market where being stackable means they have more versatility in what number and so lumens and screen size and viewing environment they can be setup and used to provide. Also it provides redundancy the display continues to functions all be it at lower lumens even if one fails and the ability to swap out projectors to maintain a display. It might also be cheaper than buying a higher lumen projector or in running costs and maintenance/downtime or in the event of a projector failing and needing to be replaced.

There is a bespoke very high end systems the SIM2 DUO HDR that use dual projectors to somehow achieve better image quality but that is the exception not the norm. The norm is just more lumens.
OK thanks for this explanation. I fully get the benefit especially in a commercial situation though not sure that was the intention of the OPs question but in a domestic situation it does sound like a lot of hassle for little reward especially when twice the machines results is twice the repair bills and in the case of the JVCs twice the bulb replacement costs which aren’t cheap.

Now I DO see the point with increased lumens if his desire is to have an enormous size possibly 200” and then run HDR but surely with what Mike said about JVC there would be better option for such a situation then using a pair of JVCs.

Movie Image collection
post #19 of 24 Old Today, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 121
For some reason there just isn't a unit in the market at same or almost any price range that could do the same as for example two JVC NX5/RS1000 could do stacked. 4000 lumens with good contrast?

All the brighter ones are DLPs with bad contrast and Sonys 5000 costs ~60k$.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #20 of 24 Old Today, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
For some reason there just isn't a unit in the market at same or almost any price range that could do the same as for example two JVC NX5/RS1000 could do stacked. 4000 lumens with good contrast?

All the brighter ones are DLPs with bad contrast and Sonys 5000 costs ~60k$.

A Severtson Stellar White 2.2 gain screen can solve this concern easily. Since Da Lite doesn't make high gain screen any longer, I had to go this route. Currently, I use it with a lower lumen LED projector with great results. But used it previously with a JVC RS520 and RS2000/NX7.
post #21 of 24 Old Today, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
A Severtson Stellar White 2.2 gain screen can solve this concern easily. Since Da Lite doesn't make high gain screen any longer, I had to go this route. Currently, I use it with a lower lumen LED projector with great results. But used it previously with a JVC RS520 and RS2000/NX7.
Thanks, I have to get a sample some day. I just hear about sparkles and other problems with gain screens all the time, that one has to have microperfs too to make it AT. Have to see myself. Using a severtson sat-4k right now.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #22 of 24 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
High gain screens do not create additional brightness out of thin air. They create it by controlling the path of the reflected light. This virtually guarantees that there will be a much narrower usable viewing area in the room, probable hot spots in areas of the screen which depend on where the viewer is seated, and other possible artifacts such as sparklies.

These issues are much more significant with a wider screen in a short throw environment, less so in a narrow deep room. Curving the screen can minimize the effects but they will always be present to some degree. The higher the gain of the screen, the more obvious these issues will be.

Some people may find these issues an acceptable trade off, others not so much. YMMV.
post #23 of 24 Old Today, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
High gain screens do not create additional brightness out of thin air. They create it by controlling the path of the reflected light. This virtually guarantees that there will be a much narrower usable viewing area in the room, probable hot spots in areas of the screen which depend on where the viewer is seated, and other possible artifacts such as sparklies.

These issues are much more significant with a wider screen in a short throw environment, less so in a narrow deep room. Curving the screen can minimize the effects but they will always be present to some degree. The higher the gain of the screen, the more obvious these issues will be.

Some people may find these issues an acceptable trade off, others not so much. YMMV.

People have been using high gain screens for years. Now stacking projectors have not been no where as effective as high gain screens. Many are still using Da Lite 2.4 and 2.8 gain screens. I'm sure not one would exchange their high gain screens for 2 or 3 of the same projector for increased brightness. I am using one myself and I would not even attempt it. There are trade offs but what screen is not?
post #24 of 24 Old Today, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
An optimally sharp image definitely doesn't come to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page