All glass lenses? x element lenses? x mm lenses? :confused: - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 1 Post By dovercat
  • 2 Post By Debonaire
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 2 Post By Debonaire
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 2 Post By Debonaire
  • 2 Post By Debonaire
  • 5 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By newconnections

post #1 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 107
All glass lenses? x element lenses? x mm lenses? :confused:

Been watching youtube videos about various projectors.
Selling points include using all glass lenses unlike a lot of our competitors, the large number of lens elements and large size of the lens used.
Which got me wondering about the importance of lenses, which for me raises more questions than answers.
Which if any projectors in the the $3,000+, $6,000+, $9,000+, $18,000+ price ranges have lenses that are not all glass?
Is glass better than optical acrylic? Why?
Is having more lens elements better than having fewer? Why?
Is a larger lens better than a smaller lens? Why?
What effect on image quality does the lens quality have?
What percentage of a projector's cost should be the lens?
Is the lens really a key selling point?
Archibald1 likes this.

Projectiondesign F30 1080 VizSim with EN15 lens.130" white painted screen.
KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.

Last edited by dovercat; 06-03-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Aspherical and apochromatic glass is the best you can get. There's a reason Leica uses that type of glass, and their lenses are amongst the most expensive.

In a perfect lens, one perfect element would be best. The more elements, the more reflections, and the lower the MTF.

Larger lenses are better, because they allow a larger aperture for a sharper image and to pass more light.

Lens quality makes a huge difference for sharpness, distortion, and color reproduction.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Aspherical and apochromatic glass is the best you can get. There's a reason Leica uses that type of glass, and their lenses are amongst the most expensive.

In a perfect lens, one perfect element would be best. The more elements, the more reflections, and the lower the MTF.

Larger lenses are better, because they allow a larger aperture for a sharper image and to pass more light.

Lens quality makes a huge difference for sharpness, distortion, and color reproduction.
The lower Sony 4K models up to the 760/885 use aspherical lenses with all glass elements except for the final acrylic element.

Also, re the bolded part; Why is it then that when lenses are specifically mentioned it is usually ones with many elements in several groups that are the best ones. Why is that when technically fewer should be better?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
The lower Sony 4K models up to the 760/885 use aspherical lenses with all glass elements except for the final acrylic element.

Also, re the bolded part; Why is it then that when lenses are specifically mentioned it is usually ones with many elements in several groups that are the best ones. Why is that when technically fewer should be better?
Cause of the perfect part maybe?
post #5 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cause of the perfect part maybe?
Que? Don't follow.

You suggested, logically, that fewer elements in lenses are preferable and yet the high end lenses tend to have many elements in many groups.

So why is that, if less is more?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovercat View Post
Been watching youtube videos about various projectors.
Selling points include using all glass lenses unlike a lot of our competitors, the large number of lens elements and large size of the lens used.
Which got me wondering about the importance of lenses, which for me raises more questions than answers.
Which if any projectors in the the $3,000+, $6,000+, $9,000+, $18,000+ price ranges have lenses that are not all glass?
Is glass better than optical acrylic? Why?
Is having more lens elements better than having fewer? Why?
Is a lager lens better than a smaller lens? Why?
What effect on image quality does the lens quality have?
What percentage of a projector's cost should be the lens?
Is the lens really a key selling point?
Sony 4K units 270, 570 and 760 all have lenses with an acrylic aspherical exit element. Don't know of any others but I suspect there are more from other manufacturers

A massive effect. A crap lens will make itself known very quickly with bad chromatic aberration and focus issues.

It can be yes. Whether it is worth the extra of course is down to the individual.

Last edited by Archibald1; 06-04-2020 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Que? Don't follow.

You suggested, logically, that fewer elements in lenses are preferable and yet the high end lenses tend to have many elements in many groups.

So why is that, if less is more?
Most high quality lenses use many elements. But it's not the elements which make the lens. Those elements are used for corrections.

Number of elements doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the lens.

Like I said, in a PERFECT lens, the less elements the better. But we don't live in a perfect world now do we?

As you add another element, you lose a bit of the potential for a perfect MTF 1.0, due to reflections. But they add those elements for the advantages they give, to the small amount of MTF lost.

The elements do all sorts of things: correct alignment of colors(chromatic aberration), distortion (ie, barrel or pincushion), light fall off (vignetting), etc.
Archibald1 and Mike_WI like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most high quality lenses use many elements. But it's not the elements which make the lens. Those elements are used for corrections.

Number of elements doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the lens.

Like I said, in a PERFECT lens, the less elements the better. But we don't live in a perfect world now do we?

As you add another element, you lose a bit of the potential for a perfect MTF 1.0, due to reflections. But they add those elements for the advantages they give, to the small amount of MTF lost.

The elements do all sorts of things: correct alignment of colors(chromatic aberration), distortion (ie, barrel or pincushion), light fall off (vignetting), etc.
I see, so talk of element numbers is more marketing waffle than anything else then.

Of course quality of the glass used is more important.

I guess that coatings and treatments have a lot to do with the quality as well.

Interesting subject this!

post #9 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
I see, so talk of element numbers is more marketing waffle than anything else then.

Of course quality of the glass used is more important.

I guess that coatings and treatments have a lot to do with the quality as well.

Interesting subject this!
Interesting indeed!

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #10 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
A quality acrylic lens can be superior to a cheap glass lens so you can't just automatically assume that all projectors with glass lenses are superior to all projectors with acrylic lenses. The overall quality of the lens system is what's important.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-03-2020, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14038 Post(s)
Liked: 11697
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
A quality acrylic lens can be superior to a cheap glass lens so you can't just automatically assume that all projectors with glass lenses are superior to all projectors with acrylic lenses. The overall quality of the lens system is what's important.
The key word is can be. A good acrylic lens is probably not any cheaper to make than a glass lens. Usually a manufacturer goes to plastic on the largest lens piece to save money.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The key word is can be. A good acrylic lens is probably not any cheaper to make than a glass lens. Usually a manufacturer goes to plastic on the largest lens piece to save money.
Hmmm, so you are basically saying that an acrylic exit element on 'xx' device is to save money and therefore by your own definition, must be a cheap one or there would be no benefit in going acrylic.

And yet acrylic lenses, if there is no issue in the manufacturing process, can equal or exceed a glass version.

post #13 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm, so you are basically saying that an acrylic exit element on 'xx' device is to save money and therefore by your own definition, must be a cheap one or there would be no benefit in going acrylic.

And yet acrylic lenses, if there is no issue in the manufacturing process, can equal or exceed a glass version.
Acrylic can't exceed a high end glass lens. An acrylic lens can only exceed a cheap glass lens, and can approach acceptable quality of a high end glass lens.
Archibald1 and Dave in Green like this.

Last edited by Debonaire; 06-04-2020 at 06:10 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Acrylic can't exceed a high end glass lens. An acrylic lens can only exceed a cheap glass lens.
Why is that?

post #15 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:

I am saying they did it as a cost cutting measure. If that lens piece was as good or better than the glass counterparts, then it would be used in the top of the line projector and it is not. You do see it used in all of the 1080P models, including the entry level 1080P model. You also see it used in the entry level 4K models. What does that tell you?

That VW60 you have, has an all glass lens. But all of the much cheaper HW models have an acrylic element in them. Once again, cost saving measure.
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-04-2020 at 06:18 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why is that?
Because glass has better optical qualities than of acrylic.

Acrylic has a lower refraction index than glass. Therefore you'd need thicker lens elements.

There's also no such thing as ED acrylic that I'm aware of.

Another factor, acrylic isn't as mature as lenses made of glass.

Abbe and refractive index are how you rate materials, and currently acrylic isn't better than glass, it's only approaching, like I said before.

But it looks like ceramic might overtake glass soon.

http://www.opticiansfriend.com/lenses.html
Archibald1 and Azekecse like this.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am saying they did it as a cost cutting measure. If that lens piece was as good or better than the glass counterparts, then it would be used in the top of the line projector and it is not. You do see it used in all of the 1080P models, including the entry level 1080P model. You also see it used in the entry level 4K models. What does that tell you?

That VW60 you have, has an all glass lens. But all of the much cheaper HW models have an acrylic element in them. Once again, cost saving measure.
I'm not denying it, it makes sense (business wise), but on the lower 4K models only the outer (aspherical) element is acrylic and the rest are glass.

I haven't much experience of the HW models.

Yes, the lens on my 60 is a great item. Super crisp and sharp.

Edited to add: If I could jemmy it into my 760, I would!
I am sure it would happily resolve 4K no issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC-F.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2736946   Click image for larger version

Name:	lens 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	2736956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lens 3a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2736966   Click image for larger version

Name:	lens 5.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2736968  

Last edited by Archibald1; 06-04-2020 at 07:30 AM.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not denying it, it makes sense (business wise), but on the lower 4K models only the outer (aspherical) element is acrylic and the rest are glass.

I haven't much experience of the HW models.

Yes, the lens on my 60 is a great item. Super crisp and sharp.
In the future we might have projectors using diamond lenses with lasers.

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/opti...optics-lighter
Archibald1 and Mike_WI like this.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
In the future we might have projectors using diamond lenses with lasers.

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/opti...optics-lighter
"Look honey for our engagment, I bought you a diamond lens."
post #20 of 20 Old 06-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
glass vs acrylic plasics

Glass is very difficult to make into an asphirical lens ,allthough they can be very good but extremly expensive, asphirical lens elements are frequently made with quality plastics,acrylics
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page