Official Optoma UHZ65LV Owner’s Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I am thinking it's not that but maybe tweaks to the light path to open up more lumens. And if that's the case, the UHZ65 should have better contrast. Aside from light absorption, the lens too can increase lumen output. Does anyone know if the LV/ZK share the same exact lens as the UHZ?

The UHZ65 image with FW C17 looks very clean, by the way. On the past samples, at least the ones that I saw, FW C11 had some noise that I felt impacted the overall clarity of the image, not so with FW17, again from what I saw.
UHZ65 / UHZ65LV lens specs are almost identical: F=2.5~ 3.26, f=20.91 ~ 32.62 mm manual focus / F/2.5~3.26; f=21~33mm
Aztar35 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 06-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I am thinking it's not that but maybe tweaks to the light path to open up more lumens. And if that's the case, the UHZ65 should have better contrast.
I'm just speculating here, but I think they have the same "contrast" (white/black ratio) but different "black levels": UHZ65 is dimmer, would have darker blacks, but also darker whites.
They may have a different phosphor/color wheel because the UHZ65 is advertised as "DCI-P3 wide color gamut" and UHZ65LV only claims being "capable of reproducing the Rec.709 color gamut" (source: official specs on optoma's website).
The UHZ65 is from 2017 and the UHZ65LV from 2020, they had the time to tweak more that one thing, maybe it's all the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyator View Post
Hi. Try to read this test.
This is a French test, and the writer explain how to fix some image issues.
It is for the uhz65, but I think it is similar to uhz 65lv

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...lavis-de-greg/
I'm French too, what he says mostly applies to the UHZ65LV:
- It's not native 3840×2160, it's 2716×1528 with XPR pixel shift (but it looks as good for movies)
- He says Optoma claims 80% DCI-P3 (so.. "DCI-P3 wide color gamut" was just marketing BS?)
- He sais Sharpness/Ultra Detail can make movies look bad if they have a lot of grain, I agree.
- He seems to really like PureMotion
- He measured an input lag of 77.9 ms... that's for @Part-Time-Rockstar who wanted to know if it was good for gaming. But it's the UHZ65 and I'm sure some settings like PureMotion can make it a lot worse. Is there an easy way to measure this on mine?
- He's complaining about some digital noise/solarization, I'm wondering if it's just the 12bit 4:2:2 banding issue I talked about in previous posts, looks very similar, I can see sports with a slightly different hue. If it's the same problem, it goes away in with 4:2:0 and 4:4:4.
- Brilliant Color makes things worse, yes Brilliant Color always makes things worse.
- He has a comprehensive table measuring contrast in all modes
- He's measuring 94% of Rec. 709 and 69.5% of DCi-P3... (what happened to "DCI-P3 wide color gamut"?)
- Conclusion:
Pros:
- Crazy bright (and he's talking about the UHZ65)
- Super sharp
- PureMotion is great
- "Discreet", I guess he means quiet
Cons:
- Lens-shift cover looks stupid and not robust
- Lens-shift too limited (15%)
- Digital noise/solarization
- At the end he says on some criteria it exceeds Sony's VPL-VW760ES

Last edited by agueniot; 06-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.
post #33 of 51 Old 06-23-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agueniot View Post
I'm just speculating here, but I think they have the same "contrast" (white/black ratio) but different "black levels": UHZ65 is dimmer, would have darker blacks, but also darker whites.
They may have a different phosphor/color wheel because the UHZ65 is advertised as "DCI-P3 wide color gamut" and UHZ65LV only claims being "capable of reproducing the Rec.709 color gamut" (source: official specs on optoma's website).
The UHZ65 is from 2017 and the UHZ65LV from 2020, they had the time to tweak more that one thing, maybe it's all the above.

I'm French too, what he says mostly applies to the UHZ65LV:
- It's not native 3840×2160, it's 2716×1528 with XPR pixel shift (but it looks as good for movies)
- He says Optoma claims 80% DCI-P3 (so.. "DCI-P3 wide color gamut" was just marketing BS?)
- He sais Sharpness/Ultra Detail can make movies look bad if they have a lot of grain, I agree.
- He seems to really like PureMotion
- He measured an input lag of 77.9 ms... that's for @Part-Time-Rockstar who wanted to know if it was good for gaming. But it's the UHZ65 and I'm sure some settings like PureMotion can make it a lot worse. Is there an easy way to measure this on mine?
- He's complaining about some digital noise/solarization, I'm wondering if it's just the 12bit 4:2:2 banding issue I talked about in previous posts, looks very similar, I can see sports with a slightly different hue. If it's the same problem, it goes away in with 4:2:0 and 4:4:4.
- Brilliant Color makes things worse, yes Brilliant Color always makes things worse.
- He has a comprehensive table measuring contrast in all modes
- He's measuring 94% of Rec. 709 and 69.5% of DCi-P3... (what happened to "DCI-P3 wide color gamut"?)
- Conclusion:
Pros:
- Super sharp
- PureMotion is great
Cons:
This is another French review of the UHZ65:

https://homecinema-tendances.eu/test-optoma-uhz65/

He notes 106% of Rec709.

This review also notes slightly greater than Rec709:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/opt...tion-settings/

On my UHD50, with film to 4K transfers, I will turn off Ultra detail. With 4K digital masters to 4K UHD, I will typically set ultra detail to 1 and with 2K masters to 4K UHD (and many 1080P BDs) I find that I can typically set it to 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
- Conclusion:
Pros:
- Super sharp
- PureMotion is great
Cons:
I'm getting confused by the different reviews. For example, the Acer VL7860 (laser contemporary to the UHZ65) was reported as being able to produce 86% of DCI P3 and the VL7860 is very similar to the UHZ65 in its make-up. So now I'm wondering why wouldn't the UHZ be able to hit that too? Projectorreviews.com gave the Acer the Hot Product award but gave the UHZ65 a Special Interest Award. I've seen both projectors in action, and the Acer can do a pretty deep black, but on the UHZ65 I measured, it can get down to .025 on a 0IRE in DB2 (DB3 can turn off the lasers), which I think is very good.

I didn't see noise or solarization on the latest UHZ65 with FW C17.
post #35 of 51 Old 06-23-2020, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You could be right on the contrast vs. black levels point, but I don't see any evidence yet of a different phosphor wheel. And I'm not sure how a phosphor wheel can widen color to P3. You would need a filter and that can cause some lumen reduction. This projector, the LV, puts out a lot of light. But you have to see what its light output is calibrated.

Still, if it's like the UHZ65, you have a great projector but brighter!
post #36 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 AM

I have a SpyderX (the wrong one, no the Elite one), I have no idea how to use it, I tried to do some measurements.
I get between 91% and 96% sRGB (is that Rec.709?) and between 75% and 78% of P3 and this seems to be consistent (even with the weird experiments I describe below).
So... in ideal conditions I can believe the 100% sRGB and 80% P3 claim and I understand why they don't say "DCI-P3 wide color gamut" anymore.

I am completely unable to mesure contrast consistently, I think it's because everything in my living room is white (walls, couch, ...) and the light from the projector is bouncing all over the place (the test pattern for contrast is a black and white checkerboard)
By placing the Spyder facing the screen, the first numbers I got where around 100:1.
Then I tried to make the Spyder face the projector directly, and the contrast was NaN division by zero.
Then I tried to put it in a box (to minimize indirect light) with a tissue in front of it and the best number I got was 350:1 in Bright mode.
That sounds pretty bad compared to the 1472:1 ratio @Aztar35 measured on the UHZ65, but different test, different setup, and you should definitely not trust my contrast numbers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9209.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	2747920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.06.27 AM.png
Views:	314
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	2747928  
DunMunro likes this.
post #37 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I am completely unable to mesure contrast consistently, I think it's because everything in my living room is white (walls, couch, ...) and the light from the projector is bouncing all over the place (the test pattern for contrast is a black and white checkerboard)
By placing the Spyder facing the screen, the first numbers I got where around 100:1.
Then I tried to make the Spyder face the projector directly, and the contrast was NaN division by zero.
Then I tried to put it in a box (to minimize indirect light) with a tissue in front of it and the best number I got was 350:1 in Bright mode.
That sounds pretty bad compared to the 1472:1 ratio @Aztar35 measured on the UHZ65, but different test, different setup, and you should definitely not trust my contrast numbers.
Aztars contrast number is native on/off contrast, that is the brightness of full white screen divided by the brightness of full black screen. Room doesn't matter when measuring this, if you can turn off all the lights and close windows. With the checkerboard pattern you are measuring ANSI contrast, and that is a totally different thing.
agueniot likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #38 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a SpyderX (the wrong one, no the Elite one), I have no idea how to use it, I tried to do some measurements.

Hi, aguenoit . I use a glass meter for contrast measurement and used the Spyder 5 for gamma calibration on my past Lcos projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Aztars contrast number is native on/off contrast, that is the brightness of full white screen divided by the brightness of full black screen. Room doesn't matter when measuring this, if you can turn off all the lights and close windows. With the checkerboard pattern you are measuring ANSI contrast, and that is a totally different thing.
Yes. That was native. I calibrated it, raised color to +6 after turning down brillant color and turning off PureContrast, PureColor, PureMotion, using DB2, and was getting strong light output. Calibrated, the UHZ65 is capable of breath-taking images, so this one should not be much different.
post #39 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

Then 2 things...
1 - Did anyone measure ANSI contrast on the UHZ65?
2 - Do you know if there is a way with the Spyder X to measure native on/off contrast or make a measurement while manually controlling what's displayed on the screen? (without having to pay $200 for a new app or a new sensor)
post #40 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In a French review of the Acer VL7860, the Acer counterpart of the UHZ65, the reviewer shows he achieved 1553 native contrast calibrated at 2242 high lumens. The Acer's uncalibrated native on/off contrast was as high as 1906:1.

See this: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...lavis-de-greg/

These projectors should have no problem achieving 500 ANSI contrast and a very usable c. 15,000:1 dynamic contrast. Once you meet that kind of threshold, then you can move on to the other picture qualities that make this projector better than some of the others.
post #41 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Thanks.

Then 2 things...

1 - Did anyone measure ANSI contrast on the UHZ65?

2 - Do you know if there is a way with the Spyder X to measure native on/off contrast or make a measurement while manually controlling what's displayed on the screen? (without having to pay $200 for a new app or a new sensor)
Measuring Ansi is hard, since all reflections effect it.

I know that there are free apps that let you measure native contrast, but I dont have experience so cant recommend one. I dont know if spyders own software does it? Weird if it doesnt.

Lähetetty minun LM-G710 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #42 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In a French review of the Acer VL7860, the Acer counterpart of the UHZ65, the reviewer shows he achieved 1553 native contrast calibrated at 2242 high lumens. The Acer's uncalibrated native on/off contrast was as high as 1906:1.

See this: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...lavis-de-greg/

These projectors should have no problem achieving 500 ANSI contrast and a very usable c. 15,000:1 dynamic contrast. Once you meet that kind of threshold, then you can move on to the other picture qualities that make this projector better than some of the others.
Indeed, this review noted ~500-1 ANSI contrast:

post #43 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Measuring Ansi is hard, since all reflections effect it.

I know that there are free apps that let you measure native contrast, but I dont have experience so cant recommend one. I dont know if spyders own software does it? Weird if it doesnt.

Lähetetty minun LM-G710 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Indeed, this review noted ~500-1 ANSI contrast:

Yes, of course you'll need a good room the get that measurement.
post #44 of 51 Old 06-24-2020, 11:56 PM

I had another idea to compare UHZ65LV with other projectors you have.
I created a test PowerPoint file (zipped in CrushTest.pptx.zip)

Slide1: Black levels, RGB values from 1 to 16 (background=black=0)
Slide2: White levels, RGB values from 239 to 255 (background=white=255),
Slides 3 and 4 are just color gradients.
Slide 5 has patterns to test sharpness.
Slides 6 to 9 is for testing Dynamic Black color crushing.

I'm mostly interested in Slide1, I also attached a PNG version here (Slide1.png).
If you can take a picture on your projector, full screen, no ambiant light, we may be able to compare the photos.
Just make sure Gamma is 2.2 and take at least one photo with Dynamic Black off.

I started by taking photos on what it looks like on the other screens I had around.
- LG Ultrafine 5K screen: terrible glow, pretty uneven backlight but all boxes are visible (but in a weird way)
- MacBook Pro: Image looks more consistent, contrast doesn't actually look better than on the Ultrafine, box 1 is crushed, box 2 is barely visible.
- iPhoneX: OLED... black is black completely black, box 1 is crushed, box 2 is barely visible (maybe this is actually normal if most screens do it).

Now the UHZ65LV, box 1 is crushed, box 2 is barely visible, but I'm starting to think it's the normal.
- Full power with "reasonable setting", by that I mean modified Cinema, Color Gamut: Native, Gamma 2.2, everything else to 0/Minimum/Disabled
Disabling settings like Brilliant Color can scarify the contrat for better color accuracy (making white darker, but keeping the black at the same level).
So this is one of the worst contrasts you can get but it already looks better than both my LCD screens... so it's not unreasonable to believe Optoma's 2,000:1 full on/off Contrast Ratio is accurate.
- I tried different modes, of course the comparison can only be done with Gamma 2.2. I found out the Game mode has the highest contrast (but probably sacrifies color), maybe I will investigate later.
- Then I tried Dynamic Black, if you go all the way to Dynamic Black 3 it looks almost like the iPhone (ok, it's never totally black, but you really have to look for it to see it).

Talking about Dynamic Black again, I added a test for that in Slides 6 to 9.
Every slide is duplicated. One version has a white border preventing Dynamic Black from dimming the light.
Then you can compare without changing the settings.
I would appreciate if someone with a UHZ65 can confirm it has the same issue (this happens to me with any Dynamic Black mode):

Note: this time all the pictures above have the same exposure.

Slide2: Just wanted to say there is no white crush, and if you feel like the last boxes are hard to see you can always reduce the contrast.

Finally, I wanted to talk about Sharpness.
I really don't want to start a debate here about "native 4K" v.s. "pixel shift faux-K".
The fact is: UHZ65LV has TI's .66'' 4K DLP chip, which has a native resolution of 2716x1528 with XPR pixel shifting, multiplying the number of pixels by 2, giving you the right number of pixels... but not in the right place.
Last time I chose a projector with the .47'' 4K DLP chip because the 1920x1080x4 = 3840x2160 made more sense than the 2716x1528x2 = 4Kish. Turns out the .47'' chip has a terrible contrast and the pixels overlap like crazy.
Don't believe me just watch:

You can search for it, there is an overall consensus to say the .66'' 4K DLP chip is as good as what "true native 4K" projectors (Sony and JVC) can do wen it's about watching movies...
...but don't expect to have an image like on a 4K computer screen!

I did a first test by opening a web browser wit this forum (in 3840x2160, non-retina).
This is a screenshot:

This is what it looks like:

Sharpness=1 actually makes the image blurrier than it should, I was super disappointed when I saw this.
Then I pushed Sharpness back to 8 (the default) and I was impressed on how good it looked. Pixel to pixel it doesn't match the original image, but it looks as sharp.
If you push sharpness too high, it adds a white line around everything.

I added another test in my PowerPoint file with something only a "true native 4K" could render in 3840x2160: one pixel stripes and patterns

As expected, you can't see the individual pixels, you can guess there are stripes and tell the direction, but they're not evenly distributed.
I also noticed Sharpness makes things brighter and the right value to make the first box the right shade of gray (1 pixel back/white checkerboard), the right value is 7 (for Gamma 2.2).

Conclusion:
- Contrast: It's probably similar to the UHZ65, if someone can take a photo maybe we can confirm.
- Sharpness: Great for watching 4K movies, bad as a giant computer screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide1.png
Views:	9
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2748504   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackLevels.png
Views:	308
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2748510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamicBlackCrush.png
Views:	316
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	2748514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharpness.png
Views:	315
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2748526   Click image for larger version

Name:	PixelShiftCompared.png
Views:	315
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2748528  

Name:	Slides.png
Views:	285
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	2748530   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVSForumScreenshot.png
Views:	312
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	2748532   Click image for larger version

Name:	TextSharpness.png
Views:	300
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	2748534  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CrushTest.pptx.zip (631.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by agueniot; 06-25-2020 at 09:40 AM.
post #45 of 51 Old 06-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
AFAICT the ZK507 = UHZ65LV:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

UHZ65:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ter-Review.htm

The UHZ65 and UHZ65LV have different power outputs, so I would speculate that the UhZ65LV/ZK507 uses an updated and more efficient laser hence the higher lumens.

The Spec sheet for the UHZ65LV and the ZK507 shows the same remote for both but the user manual indicates that "the home model" uses a different remote, so maybe an owner can state which remote came with the UHZ65LV.

Wow! That is considerably brighter! The blacks look very good and the color really pops in the footage I’ve seen. Is this even possible?? Must be attributed to the laser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DunMunro likes this.
post #46 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 12:03 AM

I finally figured out how to measure full on/off contrast ratio on the UHZ65LV with a SpiderX.
It's not perfectly on/off... I couldn't totally hide the mouse cursor.... I'm sure the real numbers are better, but it still looks good:
Note: I only measured in SDR. I don't know how to measure in HDR.
The max light output I got was the white in Bright mode (95.8)... so you can roughly think of these numbers as % of the 5000 lumen this projector is supposed to deliver).
Best contrast I got is 5050:1 when you push both Dynamic Black and Brilliant Color to the max (which will definitely destroy color accuracy).
With reasonable settings you can get a contrast around 2940:1 with acceptable color accuracy (Dynamic Black 2 and Brilliant Color OFF), even if I still think Dynamic Black is only good in HDR.
I think the best native contrast I measured (no Dynamic Black) is 1190:1 and requires Brilliant Color=10.

Default Presets
  • Presentation - 2930:1 (White=79.9, Black=0.03)
  • Bright - 1150:1 (White=95.8, Black=0.08) <= Brightest White
  • HDR SIM - 50:1 (White=48.5, Black=1.03) // I'm wondering if this was en error of measurement
  • Cinema - 2270:1 (White=61.9, Black=0.03)
  • Game - 2420:1 (White=66.2, Black=0.03)
  • sRGB - 500:1 (White=34.5, Black=0.07)
  • SICOM SIM - 820:1 (White=56.6, Black=0.07)

For the following I started with the most "neutral setting": modified Cinema mode, Gamma=2.2, Color Gamut=Native, everything off.

Brilliant Color = 1
  • 100% Power - 690:1 (White=37.9, Black=0.06)
  • Dynamic Black 1 - 1400:1 (White=38.2, Black=0.03)
  • Dynamic Black 2 - 1400:1 (White=38.3, Black=0.03)
  • Dynamic Black 3 - 2940:1 (White=38.2, Black=0.01)

Brilliant Color = 10
  • 100% Power - 1190:1 (White=65.5, Black=0.06) <= Best Native Contrast
  • Dynamic Black 1 - 2400:1 (White=65.5, Black=0.03)
  • Dynamic Black 2 - 2400:1 (White=65.5, Black=0.03)
  • Dynamic Black 3 - 5050:1 (White=65.6, Black=0.01) <= Best Dynamic Contrast

My settings (Gamma 2.4, Color Gamut Presentation, Brilliant Color OFF)
  • 100% Power - 690:1 (White=37.9, Black=0.06)
  • Dynamic Black 1 - 1400:1 (White=38.2, Black=0.03)
  • Dynamic Black 2 - 2940:1 (White=38.2, Black=0.01) <= Best Compromise?
  • Dynamic Black 3 - 2940:1 (White=38.2, Black=0.01)

Conclusion:
Of course nobody expected 5000 lumen with perfect color accuracy and maximum contrast.
Only Bright Mode will give you the 5000 lumen, Presentation will give you 80% of it and the other modes up to 70% (so... most mode probably don't deliver more than 3500 to 4000 lumen).
Brilliant Color doubles the brightness and the contrast. If it's OFF you should get about 2000 lumen only with a contrast around 700:1, if it's set to 10 you get 4000 lumen with a contrast around 1200:1 (sorry for the rough approximations).
This convinced me to experiment more with Brilliant Color, to try to find the best compromise between contrast and color accuracy.
DunMunro likes this.
post #47 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finally figured out how to measure full on/off contrast ratio on the UHZ65LV with a SpiderX.
Is a Spider X meter intended to be used to measure contrast?
post #48 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
it's a shame, a simple Benq w2000 had 2500 native contrast for 900.-
post #49 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is a Spider X meter intended to be used to measure contrast?
It looks like it's reaching the limits of it's accuracy.
agueniot likes this.
post #50 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like it's reaching the limits of it's accuracy.
Hi, Dun. Yeah, I don't know. With the calibration I use on the UHZ65, both bright and dark scenes look great. If the LV behaves like the UHZ65, it too should measure higher with DB engaged, unless the extra brightness is having an effect. I don't know.

Again, remember, this is the sequential dynamic contrast in DB2 that I measured with my glass meter and CP3 after calibrating the UHZ65. Notice the low black level reading and ultra high brightness readings too.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DB 2 Contrast.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2754418  
DunMunro and agueniot like this.
post #51 of 51 Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Again, remember, this is the sequential dynamic contrast in DB2 that I measured with my glass meter and CP3 after calibrating the UHZ65. Notice the low black level reading and ultra high brightness readings too.
You got 1472:1 for native full on/off, I got 1190:1, it's the same order of magnitude. Optoma claims 2,000:1, they probably rounded it up, but I don't think they're sneaky enough to multiply it by 2 (but they were sneaky enough to not give this info or the UHZ65).
The SpyderX app is not really meant to measure full on/off contrast: it still shows a window and the mouse cursor, I manually zoomed to hide the window but the mouse and tried to move the mouse cursor far away from the sensor.
Real numbers are probably slightly better. I'm not a professional projector reviewer, I may have had light pollution from the street through the window.

Yes it looks like the blacks are so dim they're hard to measure, I get numbers with only 2 decimals. Maybe I can try again, using the zoom to reduce the image size and get more light.

On the other hand, I think the full on/off contrast of Dynamic Black is not super useful info. Optoma claims 300,000:1, it could be infinite, it wouldn't change anything: you only get this low black level if the whole screen goes totally black, you don't keep this contrast while watching a movie, it changes on every frame. Native contrast is good to know because that's what you get in the worst case scenario, even with Dynamic Black on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooj View Post
it's a shame, a simple Benq w2000 had 2500 native contrast for 900.-
Official numbers or measured by users/reviewers? Because the people who measured it here said "On-off contrast of around 1600, which is typical for a DLP projector"
http://projectiondream.com/en/review...or-benq-w2000/
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
optoma uhz65lv , technical information

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page