Suggested Projector & Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Suggested Projector & Screen

I'm buying a house (closing tomorrow) and have a room set aside for a theater / listening room. I have another thread looking at room layout and it was suggested I consider a projector instead of an OLED due to the length of the room.

So I understand the principal that a projector will never create the same picture quality as an OLED in terms of brightness, contrast ect.. However, I do like the idea of a truly large screen. The wall space I think I would say is available for a projected image would be in the neighborhood of 9 ft wide and there is an 8 ft ceiling.

The 77" OLED is ~ $4,500. So with that budget (ish) what projector/screen combination would you recommend? Admittedly I'm not as schooled on projector tech and options. I see JVC's seem to have the best ratings, and will be doing some self education. However, looking for thoughts and where to look. I know nothing about screen technology but imagine it has as much to do with picture quality as the projector does.
I'm also a believer in the "sweet spot" when buying tech... buy the most you can grab to the point of diminishing returns and then stop. I know I can't afford the best of the best, but I can usually find a way to get the best that makes sense. I won't shortcut myself to save a few hundred or even $1K,,, However there is a point the next step no longer makes sense.


Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
I'm buying a house (closing tomorrow) and have a room set aside for a theater / listening room. I have another thread looking at room layout and it was suggested I consider a projector instead of an OLED due to the length of the room.

So I understand the principal that a projector will never create the same picture quality as an OLED in terms of brightness, contrast ect.. However, I do like the idea of a truly large screen. The wall space I think I would say is available for a projected image would be in the neighborhood of 9 ft wide and there is an 8 ft ceiling.

The 77" OLED is ~ $4,500. So with that budget (ish) what projector/screen combination would you recommend? Admittedly I'm not as schooled on projector tech and options. I see JVC's seem to have the best ratings, and will be doing some self education. However, looking for thoughts and where to look. I know nothing about screen technology but imagine it has as much to do with picture quality as the projector does.
I'm also a believer in the "sweet spot" when buying tech... buy the most you can grab to the point of diminishing returns and then stop. I know I can't afford the best of the best, but I can usually find a way to get the best that makes sense. I won't shortcut myself to save a few hundred or even $1K,,, However there is a point the next step no longer makes sense.


Any advice is greatly appreciated.
For movie watching in a dedicated room, I would recommend the RS1000/NX5, but it is above your budget, especially when you factor in cost of screen.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Mike would know as he sells them. The MSRP of the NX5 (RS1000) is $6K,but I would have thought you could pick one up for $5K but perhaps I'm wrong. JVC only sells through dealers and keeps prices pretty tightly controlled. A cheaper projector option is the JVC X790 (RS540) which has a MSRP of $4K. The X790 actually has better contrast, but is a carryover from an older model lineup that is not native 4K but rather uses e-shift technology to provide a "4K" picture from a native 1080p panel. A third option would be the Sony 295, which is the cheapest native 4K projector but doesn't have as good of contrast as the JVC's and isn't as bright. The MSRP on the Sony is $5K.



(The only native 4K projectors are JVC and Sony)





You can build a Spandex Acoustically Transparent screen for about $250-300.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...tructions.html

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,874
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
@TODDAVS , some great advise given here. Some of these projectors can give you quite an astonishing picture for sure. Having a light controlled room and maybe even having dark painted/fabric covered walls will benefit in the picture as well. I like you, liked the idea of a bigger picture, and only watch a little news on the smaller 65 inch tv.
I have a JVC RS420, now calibrated, and with black velvet covering 1/2 the room, the image is amazing on my 115" screen. The screen just has the picture blend into the wall. This is Jaws 4K UHD on my eshift projector, but I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200612_195256.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	2744392  
lizrussspike is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
For movie watching in a dedicated room, I would recommend the RS1000/NX5, but it is above your budget, especially when you factor in cost of screen.
So what is the difference between a NX5 and the DLAX770/970 which seems to have a much higher contrast ratio, slightly higher lumens. They are climbing up there in cost so not sure if they will make the budget but just trying to understand the real world differences between them.

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luis Gabriel Gerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 3,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
I'm buying a house (closing tomorrow) and have a room set aside for a theater / listening room. I have another thread looking at room layout and it was suggested I consider a projector instead of an OLED due to the length of the room.

So I understand the principal that a projector will never create the same picture quality as an OLED in terms of brightness, contrast ect.. However, I do like the idea of a truly large screen. The wall space I think I would say is available for a projected image would be in the neighborhood of 9 ft wide and there is an 8 ft ceiling.

The 77" OLED is ~ $4,500. So with that budget (ish) what projector/screen combination would you recommend? Admittedly I'm not as schooled on projector tech and options. I see JVC's seem to have the best ratings, and will be doing some self education. However, looking for thoughts and where to look. I know nothing about screen technology but imagine it has as much to do with picture quality as the projector does.
I'm also a believer in the "sweet spot" when buying tech... buy the most you can grab to the point of diminishing returns and then stop. I know I can't afford the best of the best, but I can usually find a way to get the best that makes sense. I won't shortcut myself to save a few hundred or even $1K,,, However there is a point the next step no longer makes sense.


Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Unless you are set on 4k vs Faux 4k, I would grab an RS540 or previous-gen RS520 be used or new and that should leave you enough cash for a good screen as well. Those have the advantage of having the best blacks and contrast even compared to their newer TRUE 4k models. The newer model does have some extra features like dynamic tone mapping for HDR for which I use madvr with an HTPC for my own projector, so depends on what source you have etc.
But yeah, if you have a light controlled room, I would go JVC any day.

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
Power Conditioner/Regulator: Monster HTPS 7000 Sig | Monster AVS 2000

Last edited by Luis Gabriel Gerena; 06-18-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Luis Gabriel Gerena is online now  
post #7 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
So what is the difference between a NX5 and the DLAX770/970 which seems to have a much higher contrast ratio, slightly higher lumens. They are climbing up there in cost so not sure if they will make the budget but just trying to understand the real world differences between them.
The RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 and RS3000/NX9 are the newest models. The new models are native 4K. The X770/X970 are a few generations old and are E-shift projectors. Probably the only X770/970 models you will find will be on the used market. Along with the new models being native 4K, they will do a much, much better job with HDR than the X770/X970. Lens memory is also much improved on the new native 4K models. Sync time is much faster also. No way I would buy the X770, right now. The X770 was released January 2017.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The X770 (RS520) is the previous generation of the X790 (RS540) and was released in 2017, The X970 (RS620) was the top model in 2017 and was replaced by the X990 (RS640) which has also been discontinued. All of those are excellent projectors with the X970/990 having the best contrast ration JVC has ever had. When the native 4K models (NX5/RS1000, NX7/RS200, NX9/RS3000) came out in late 2018 the X990 was discontinued but JVC kept the X790 in the lineup as a less expensive model.


The X770 (RS520) and X970 (RS620) are both native 1080p panels that accept a 4K signal and use JVC's e-Shift technology to provide "faux-K". I've provided more info on e-Shift below. The NX5 (RS1000) is the cheapest JVC Projector with a native 4K panels (and second cheapest overall - only to Sony's $5K 295). For whatever reason, the JVC 4K models do not have as high of contrast as the earlier models with the 1080p panels, but they still have superior contrast to virtually any projector on the market (The $$$$$ 330lb Christie Ellipse excluded).



Any of the JVC's would be great in a home theater, and all have amazing contrast compared to the competition. It won't have OLED blacks, but in a dark room, it will be close enough, and you'll feel like you're really watching a movie, not just a TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eshift.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2744642  

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
The X770 (RS520) is the previous generation of the X790 (RS540) and was released in 2017, The X970 (RS620) was the top model in 2017 and was replaced by the X990 (RS640) which has also been discontinued. All of those are excellent projectors with the X970/990 having the best contrast ration JVC has ever had. When the native 4K models (NX5/RS1000, NX7/RS200, NX9/RS3000) came out in late 2018 the X990 was discontinued but JVC kept the X790 in the lineup as a less expensive model.


The X770 (RS520) and X970 (RS620) are both native 1080p panels that accept a 4K signal and use JVC's e-Shift technology to provide "faux-K". I've provided more info on e-Shift below. The NX5 (RS1000) is the cheapest JVC Projector with a native 4K panels (and second cheapest overall - only to Sony's $5K 295). For whatever reason, the JVC 4K models do not have as high of contrast as the earlier models with the 1080p panels, but they still have superior contrast to virtually any projector on the market (The $$$$$ 330lb Christie Ellipse excluded).



Any of the JVC's would be great in a home theater, and all have amazing contrast compared to the competition. It won't have OLED blacks, but in a dark room, it will be close enough, and you'll feel like you're really watching a movie, not just a TV.
Yep, no way I would do a dedicated room and place an OLED in there. A dedicated room, needs a big screen.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
BTW - If you are new to JVC you may get confused by model numbers. Every JVC sold in North America has two model numbers. It's like a Chevy Truck and a GMC Truck. The "RS" Line is sold by dealers, and the "X" line is sold by installers, but other than the color of the ring around the lens, there are no functional differences.



Current JVC models utilizing D-ILA


JVC RS540/X790 - 1080p Panel 4K eShift $4K MSRP


JVC RS1000/NX5 - 4K Panel $6K MSRP



JVC RS2000/NX7 - 4K Panel $9K MSRP


JVC RS3000/NX9 - 4K Panel 8K eShift $18K MSRP


JVC RS4500 4K Panel - Laser light source $25K MSRP

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
BTW - If you are new to JVC you may get confused by model numbers. Every JVC sold in North America has two model numbers. It's like a Chevy Truck and a GMC Truck. The "RS" Line is sold by dealers, and the "X" line is sold by installers, but other than the color of the ring around the lens, there are no functional differences.



Current JVC models utilizing D-ILA


JVC RS540/X790 - 1080p Panel 4K eShift $4K MSRP


JVC RS1000/NX5 - 4K Panel $6K MSRP



JVC RS2000/NX7 - 4K Panel $9K MSRP


JVC RS3000/NX9 - 4K Panel 8K eShift $18K MSRP


JVC RS4500 4K Panel - Laser light source $25K MSRP
The RS line is the pro side. The X side is the consumer side. It is not dealers vs installers. The pro side used to be the prefered side. That is because the pro side got additional perks like longer warranty, extra inspections and discounted addons, like 3D emitter and glasses. Because of this, the pro side held their value longer. But that is no longer the case, though JVC has talked about bringing those differences back. There is no consumer version of the RS4500, so JVC lets the consumer side sell the RS4500.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #12 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS line is the pro side. The X side is the consumer side. It is not dealers vs installers. The pro side used to be the preferred side. That is because the pro side got additional perks like longer warranty, extra inspections and discounted addons, like 3D emitter and glasses. Because of this, the pro side held their value longer. But that is no longer the case, though JVC has talked about bringing those differences back. There is no consumer version of the RS4500, so JVC lets the consumer side sell the RS4500.
So how much visible difference is there between the NX5 and NX7. I can tell you anything above the NX7 is outside of my "consider stretching the budget" range.
I have a budget but I also an a long term thinker on major equipment purchases. This is one piece of a larger renovation so can stretch a little in one place or another but if I start doing it every-where it will shift the needle on the total cost, so I'm trying to be wise about there where and when to do it.

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
So how much visible difference is there between the NX5 and NX7. I can tell you anything above the NX7 is outside of my "consider stretching the budget" range.
I have a budget but I also an a long term thinker on major equipment purchases. This is one piece of a larger renovation so can stretch a little in one place or another but if I start doing it every-where it will shift the needle on the total cost, so I'm trying to be wise about there where and when to do it.
The RS2000/NX7 has the DCI P3 filter, 100 more lumens and double the native contrast. But that double the contrast is with iris fully closed. As to the RS2000/NX7 being a better choice, it comes down to screen side, screen gain and throw distance? So if your screen is large and or low gain, you would not be able to close the iris down on the RS2000/NX7 and the contrast difference would be smaller. You also might not be able to use the DCI P3 color filter, due to the loss of light output, when in place. But if your setup allows you to close down the iris and use the filter, then the RS2000/NX7 is a definite advantage. You just have to decide if the cost difference justifies it or not. I will say, AVS forum members pick the RS2000/NX7 at least 4:1 over the RS1000/NX5.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS line is the pro side. The X side is the consumer side. It is not dealers vs installers. The pro side used to be the prefered side. That is because the pro side got additional perks like longer warranty, extra inspections and discounted addons, like 3D emitter and glasses. Because of this, the pro side held their value longer. But that is no longer the case, though JVC has talked about bringing those differences back. There is no consumer version of the RS4500, so JVC lets the consumer side sell the RS4500.

Thanks for fixing my mistake Mike, I knew there was an internal division difference within JVC. The point I was trying to make is that you will see both model numbers used, but they are the same projector. To the non JVC owner, it can seem like JVC has twice the amount of models as they do and are often confused as to the differences between the two.
Mike Garrett likes this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,828
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
I'm buying a house (closing tomorrow) and have a room set aside for a theater / listening room. I have another thread looking at room layout and it was suggested I consider a projector instead of an OLED due to the length of the room.

So I understand the principal that a projector will never create the same picture quality as an OLED in terms of brightness, contrast ect.. However, I do like the idea of a truly large screen. The wall space I think I would say is available for a projected image would be in the neighborhood of 9 ft wide and there is an 8 ft ceiling.

The 77" OLED is ~ $4,500. So with that budget (ish) what projector/screen combination would you recommend? Admittedly I'm not as schooled on projector tech and options. I see JVC's seem to have the best ratings, and will be doing some self education. However, looking for thoughts and where to look. I know nothing about screen technology but imagine it has as much to do with picture quality as the projector does.
I'm also a believer in the "sweet spot" when buying tech... buy the most you can grab to the point of diminishing returns and then stop. I know I can't afford the best of the best, but I can usually find a way to get the best that makes sense. I won't shortcut myself to save a few hundred or even $1K,,, However there is a point the next step no longer makes sense.


Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Is it your intention to fully treat the room, or at least to first 6-8ft of walls/ceiling and floor?

I would never want to sway you from the JVCs if it’s your desire to go this route and frankly they are the best projectors but the Epson 5050/6050 is sub $3K leaving you a decent budget for a screen and throws a bloody good image, especially for the money. I’ve an 65” OLED in the family room and the Epson in my cinema room, never once have I felt I’m missing the blacks of the OLED so which ever projector you get don’t worry on this front because once you experience the size difference you’ll have forgot all about anything the OLED offered better.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection

Last edited by Luminated67; 06-18-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Luminated67 is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Is it your intention to fully treat the room, or at least to first 6-8ft of walls/ceiling and floor?

I would never want to sway you from the JVCs if it’s your desire to go this route and frankly they are the best projectors but the Epson 5050/6050 is sub $3K leaving you a decent budget for a screen and throws a bloody good image, especially for the money. I’ve an 65” OLED in the family room and the Epson in my cinema room, never once have I felt I’m missing the blacks of the OLED so which ever projector you get don’t worry on this front because once you experience the size difference you’ll have forgot all about anything the OLED offered better.
I'm still figuring out what my intention is to be honest. The idea of a projector is new to me so I'm learning what I need to know to make those decisions.

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS2000/NX7 has the DCI P3 filter, 100 more lumens and double the native contrast. But that double the contrast is with iris fully closed. As to the RS2000/NX7 being a better choice, it comes down to screen side, screen gain and throw distance? So if your screen is large and or low gain, you would not be able to close the iris down on the RS2000/NX7 and the contrast difference would be smaller. You also might not be able to use the DCI P3 color filter, due to the loss of light output, when in place. But if your setup allows you to close down the iris and use the filter, then the RS2000/NX7 is a definite advantage. You just have to decide if the cost difference justifies it or not. I will say, AVS forum members pick the RS2000/NX7 at least 4:1 over the RS1000/NX5.
So I went and read up on screen gain a bit and understand the concept. Obviously this is all new ground for me so forgive me if some of the questions should be more obvious.

A little better definition to the room: I have attached existing condition photos, and a plan view for dimensions.
  • The room is fairly narrow at 13 x 24. My current thoughts on layout nothing would place nothing so close to the screen as to have a wide angle.
  • I'll plan on black out shades of some time, and I need to add doors.
  • The wood paneling is going away with drywall coming. I'll likely remove the popcorn ceiling.
  • I'm not sure how far down the road of dark colors I'll be able to go, but I will at least steer clear of anything bright.
  • 2 rows of seats initially I'm not sure I can make 3rd work at some point. It probably depends how the rest of this goes.
  • The only lighting will be dimable sconces
  • I have a ways to go on wall treatment but will a hard floor I think I will need to figure something softer on the sides.
  1. All that being said.. as I am starting with a clean slate for the room. What is the best placement for a projector, distance, type of screen etc... to get the best possible brightness, contrast, color, etc for all seats?
  2. How close would you put the first row seat to a screen this size?


- thanks to all, the group's knowledge is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	2745114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	2745116  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1st Floor Theater.pdf (73.4 KB, 8 views)

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server

Last edited by TODDAVS; 06-19-2020 at 06:01 AM.
TODDAVS is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
So I went and read up on screen gain a bit and understand the concept. Obviously this is all new ground for me so forgive me if some of the questions should be more obvious.

A little better definition to the room: I have attached existing condition photos, and a plan view for dimensions.
  • The room is fairly narrow at 13 x 24. My current thoughts on layout nothing would place nothing so close to the screen as to have a wide angle.
  • I'll plan on black out shades of some time, and I need to add doors.
  • The wood paneling is going away with drywall coming. I'll likely remove the popcorn ceiling.
  • I'm not sure how far down the road of dark colors I'll be able to go, but I will at least steer clear of anything bright.
  • 2 rows of seats initially I'm not sure I can make 3rd work at some point. It probably depends how the rest of this goes.
  • The only lighting will be dimable sconces
  • I have a ways to go on wall treatment but will a hard floor I think I will need to figure something softer on the sides.
  1. All that being said.. as I am starting with a clean slate for the room. What is the best placement for a projector, distance, type of screen etc... to get the best possible brightness, contrast, color, etc for all seats?
  2. How close would you put the first row seat to a screen this size?


- thanks to all, the group's knowledge is appreciated.
What type of setup are you wanting? Scope is for the dedicated movie watcher. 16:9 is for those that do a little bit of everything in their rooms. Then you have acoustically transparent screens and solid screens. What size and viewing distances were you thinking? Will the first row be the primary row? Will the second row only be used rarely? Wall and ceiling color is going to determine what type screen material you use. Do you already have the speakers? In room speakers or in wall speakers? Are you doing atmos, I would.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What type of setup are you wanting? Scope is for the dedicated movie watcher. 16:9 is for those that do a little bit of everything in their rooms. Then you have acoustically transparent screens and solid screens. What size and viewing distances were you thinking? Will the first row be the primary row? Will the second row only be used rarely? Wall and ceiling color is going to determine what type screen material you use. Do you already have the speakers? In room speakers or in wall speakers? Are you doing atmos, I would.
The parts I can answer:

Anything could be watched in the room. TV, Sports, Movies etc...
The speakers are existing and will be a 7.1 setup. If I do Atmos it's at some other time.
Def Tech (original vintage / non-powered) BP-20's in the front, BP-6's (smaller floor standing) for the SB's and BP-1's (small speaker) mounted up high on the wall for the S's. The BP-20's are 9 wide 15 deep 47 high, and a bi-polar design. Acoustics will be a paramount concern as the room is for listening as much as watching.
I can make the 1st row or 2nd row the primary row. I think the first would be better but depending on the layout could go either way.
Colors are up for discussion. I'd rather not paint the ceiling black, but I understand it can't be ceiling white if I'm going with a projector. How dark do you really need to get? We will aim for something darker on the walls and I need to look into some type of covering to help control acoustics in the room with all hard surfaces.
The idea of an acoustically transparent wall was suggested and I do like the idea in some ways but its not decided. What makes the most sense for a screen and cost may drive this decision.
I looked at what a 100" 16:9 screen looks like and Think I can still do my BP-20's either side with a 30" space for a 9" wide speaker. I think that is fine for the bi-polar design. The screen would be 3 ft off the floor and 6" off the ceiling, or is that proportionally correct?

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
The parts I can answer:

Anything could be watched in the room. TV, Sports, Movies etc...
The speakers are existing and will be a 7.1 setup. If I do Atmos it's at some other time.
Def Tech (original vintage / non-powered) BP-20's in the front, BP-6's (smaller floor standing) for the SB's and BP-1's (small speaker) mounted up high on the wall for the S's. The BP-20's are 9 wide 15 deep 47 high, and a bi-polar design. Acoustics will be a paramount concern as the room is for listening as much as watching.
I can make the 1st row or 2nd row the primary row. I think the first would be better but depending on the layout could go either way.
Colors are up for discussion. I'd rather not paint the ceiling black, but I understand it can't be ceiling white if I'm going with a projector. How dark do you really need to get? We will aim for something darker on the walls and I need to look into some type of covering to help control acoustics in the room with all hard surfaces.
The idea of an acoustically transparent wall was suggested and I do like the idea in some ways but its not decided. What makes the most sense for a screen and cost may drive this decision.
I looked at what a 100" 16:9 screen looks like and Think I can still do my BP-20's either side with a 30" space for a 9" wide speaker. I think that is fine for the bi-polar design. The screen would be 3 ft off the floor and 6" off the ceiling, or is that proportionally correct?
I would be looking at a screen around 120" diagonal 16:9. That leaves you with 25.5" between the side wall and the image, for your speakers. What is your ceiling height?
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #21 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
I'm buying a house (closing tomorrow) and have a room set aside for a theater / listening room. I have another thread looking at room layout and it was suggested I consider a projector instead of an OLED due to the length of the room.

So I understand the principal that a projector will never create the same picture quality as an OLED in terms of brightness, contrast ect.. However, I do like the idea of a truly large screen. The wall space I think I would say is available for a projected image would be in the neighborhood of 9 ft wide and there is an 8 ft ceiling.

The 77" OLED is ~ $4,500. So with that budget (ish) what projector/screen combination would you recommend? Admittedly I'm not as schooled on projector tech and options. I see JVC's seem to have the best ratings, and will be doing some self education. However, looking for thoughts and where to look. I know nothing about screen technology but imagine it has as much to do with picture quality as the projector does.
I'm also a believer in the "sweet spot" when buying tech... buy the most you can grab to the point of diminishing returns and then stop. I know I can't afford the best of the best, but I can usually find a way to get the best that makes sense. I won't shortcut myself to save a few hundred or even $1K,,, However there is a point the next step no longer makes sense.


Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I started designing and planning my home theater before I even had a house selected. Shows how much priority it had over an actual place to live. Anyway, my budget was limited and decided on the Epson 5050UB which I recently bought in combination with a DIY screen I will build using spandex material and lumber. Cost savings was astronomical. I have room for 165" scope screen so for less than the cost of a premium flat panel I upped the ante requiring more elbow grease and greater reward.
Luminated67 likes this.
wookiegr is online now  
post #22 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would be looking at a screen around 120" diagonal 16:9. That leaves you with 25.5" between the side wall and the image, for your speakers. What is your ceiling height?

It's an 8 ft ceiling. the 100" screen I think was giving me 6" at the top and 36" at the bottom.

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old 06-19-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
It's an 8 ft ceiling. the 100" screen I think was giving me 6" at the top and 36" at the bottom.
Would need to work out your design based on seating distance and seat riser height, to determine where bottom of the image needs to be. Then could figure out what size screen fits in your room and works with your seating. I would be happy to help you.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #24 of 40 Old 06-20-2020, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,071
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
The parts I can answer:

Anything could be watched in the room. TV, Sports, Movies etc...
The speakers are existing and will be a 7.1 setup. If I do Atmos it's at some other time.
The idea of an acoustically transparent wall was suggested and I do like the idea in some ways but its not decided. What makes the most sense for a screen and cost may drive this decision.
I looked at what a 100" 16:9 screen looks like and Think I can still do my BP-20's either side with a 30" space for a 9" wide speaker. I think that is fine for the bi-polar design. The screen would be 3 ft off the floor and 6" off the ceiling, or is that proportionally correct?
Scope is better if you can fit it (IMO), but it sounds like you might want a 16:9 for that room due to size and speakers. I even prefer Scope if watching movies + TV show streaming, as so many TV shows have moved to 2.0 - 2.4, though I guess depends on what type of TV shows you watch.

Black bars are very intrusive on a 16:9 screen, so you'll need to mask them off, and it's just easier to mask a scope screen than it is to mask a 16:9, at least when talking manual masking (it's easier to place side panels than it is to move vertical panels, even if you use magnets). If motorized masking, then it won't make as much difference. Also, I often don't notice the side bars that much even when I am too lazy to put my masking panels back over my Scope screen, so that is another reason Scope is better. Some use dual screens, but that room sounds too small for that. I actually have multiple screens installed, but still almost always just use the Scope since it's easier and I'm too lazy to watch the electric go buzzzzzzzzz down on its motor.....

All that said, 16:9 isn't that bad either, but whatever works.

For colors, black is best (Triple Black Velvet - not paint), but if you really don't want to use black, then I'd say dark gray or dark brown or dark navy blue are the only other options really, or any other super dark color. Still, you'll lose a lot of contrast compared to making the room in Triple Black Velvet.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-20-2020 at 02:49 AM.
coderguy is offline  
post #25 of 40 Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 PM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS2000/NX7 has the DCI P3 filter, 100 more lumens and double the native contrast. But that double the contrast is with iris fully closed. As to the RS2000/NX7 being a better choice, it comes down to screen side, screen gain and throw distance? So if your screen is large and or low gain, you would not be able to close the iris down on the RS2000/NX7 and the contrast difference would be smaller. You also might not be able to use the DCI P3 color filter, due to the loss of light output, when in place. But if your setup allows you to close down the iris and use the filter, then the RS2000/NX7 is a definite advantage. You just have to decide if the cost difference justifies it or not. I will say, AVS forum members pick the RS2000/NX7 at least 4:1 over the RS1000/NX5.
Mike, What is the expected life for the new JVC lamps in the NX series projectors?

Walter
WTS is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,613
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
Mike, What is the expected life for the new JVC lamps in the NX series projectors?
3,500 hours in high lamp, to half life and 4,500 hours in low lamp, to half life.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #27 of 40 Old 06-26-2020, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TODDAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been working this over for the past week in my mind. I even went and marked out an 85" and 100" screen on the wall, and stood back where the screen will go.

I've decided the difference isn't worth the impact on the room, and will for now go to an 85" QLED screen, probably 8 series. There doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference to the 9 worth $1K or more.

I will have my eyes out in a couple years for the 100" QLED's to come down or maybe the 85" OLED's.. we'll see where it goes.

Thanks to all for your help, it has all helped me make a decision. Much appreciated!

Marantz - AV7702mkii | Adcom - GFA 7500 (2 Ea)
5.1.2 Definitive Technology Speakers | Mains: BP-20 (bi-amped) | Center: CLR (bi-amp custom crossover) | Rears: BP-6 | Front Height: BP-1
Media Player: HTPC | BR Player: Pioneer BPD-80D
UnRaid / Plex Server
TODDAVS is offline  
post #28 of 40 Old 06-27-2020, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Enjoy your new room!

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #29 of 40 Old 06-27-2020, 06:57 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
3,500 hours in high lamp, to half life and 4,500 hours in low lamp, to half life.
Hi Mike, I see they'll gotten better over the years. Now to figure out which projector to replace my VW95ES with which I bought from you 8 years ago. Do you guys still do B stock projectors. tks.

Walter
WTS is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old 06-27-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,019
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10652
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
Hi Mike, I see they'll gotten better over the years. Now to figure out which projector to replace my VW95ES with which I bought from you 8 years ago. Do you guys still do B stock projectors. tks.
B stock has been extremely hard to get. And covid 19 has only made things worse, with CA in lockdown for 2 1/2+ months. Plus, no advanced exchange on b stock, which could come in handy.
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off