Are Projectors dead? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 558Likes

post #271 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
Does anyone really believe that were it available and reasonably priced, the majority of OLED owners wouldn’t choose a 120” model?

Just this week, I set up my moth balled 65” OLED as a dedicated gaming system while my young adult grandchildren are visiting for 10 days. They have the ability to sit as close as they want, so the relative seating distance is addressed.

Result? They’re begging me to let them play PS4 on the 120” projector screen.

That is quite fun/crazy because gaming on a projector is what got me a bit frustrated and made me turn to an OLED 77''.

I feel films which aren't dark translate very well to projection, extraordinarily well, especially SDR. But games really look a bit 'off' on a projector. I don't know what it is but they don't look as sharp, the colours really don't pop as much, they lack depth... Its strange.

For example RDR2 on 100'' projected image from epson 6050ub looked.. meh. but on the panasonic 902b 65'' or LG OLED 65''C9, it looked stunning.

However the level of immersion was obviously not close to the projected image.. but the projected image looked... wrong.. to the extent I kind of couldn't play it.

I think if you have an analytical mind always chasing perfection.. then you need an OLED + projector.
If you can just sit back, relax and enjoy what is infront of u rather than worrying what is the next best thing, a projector alone is so hard to beat because it is truly a spectacle and a feast for the eyes.

Also room size makes a big difference. If you have a gigantic room, a projector is the ONLY way to go. My home cinema room is quite small (but I still have both ).

Display: 77'' CX LG OLED, Valve Index, Sony PJ + Draper React 3.0 ALR
Audio: Arendal 1723S Tower S, 1723S Centre, 1723S Surrounds, KEF Q50a, BK Monolith Plus
Powered by: RTX 2080/8086k, Denon AVR, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
The days of projectors are gone... into the niche. Long live the OLED... I HOPE we can start seeing some reasonably priced units in the 80-90-100 inch range in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
For my part, the blatant attacks on me with links to youtube videos calling me a dumb chimp were deleted so you can't see them. That is who I was responding to in that post, but I agree with you, especially on niche custom huge home theaters (and not the 99% of people who are dealing with 15' rooms) with $50,000 laser projectors (at least for now). I've messages Mark about other that stuff now.

Lets have this out though. Lets get someone to do a review of a 77" LG OLED with seating at 7 feet vs a say $30,000 projector to a 120" screen sitting at 15' and see which is better. Same theater, just move the seats. Data speaks louder then anything. Im perfectly happy having rational discussions and being proved wrong which is the scientific method.
Sorry, but you're the one that stated your opinion as fact, and belittled my opinion. I'm not attacking you, but maybe feeling attacked by by you. I prefer the more cinematic presentation of a projector to that of an over pumped TV. I also prefer the larger screen presentation, and no, I don't feel sitting closer to a smaller screen gives the same immersive experience. Our eyes tell our brains the focal distance, and we feel that in our perception of the image. Also, are we viewing solo, or with company? A big screen makes an even bigger difference when we're not alone. Just my opinion, and some of the reasons I'll be sticking with a Projector and screen...

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #273 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
=/ I find pixel level imperfections to be quite noticeable even at resolution resolved distances. The same way screen imperfections affect pixel uniformity. Between 1080p and 4k, I would put more weight on misconvergence + chromatic aberration then I would on the actual resolution. Especially when you add in other pixel level performance including high ansi contrast, color contrast of an rgb light source, and pixel response times. Accurate is accurate.

3chip LCD/LCOS - 1080p + shifting

Single chip DLP - 0.95" 1080p

Did you purposefully cherry pick examples of the worst and then find the best examples you could for DLP? Low blow.

3chip LCOS can be VERY sharp.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
Sorry, but you're the one that stated your opinion as fact, and belittled my opinion. I'm not attacking you, but maybe feeling attacked by by you. I prefer the more cinematic presentation of a projector to that of an over pumped TV. I also prefer the larger screen presentation, and no, I don't feel sitting closer to a smaller screen gives the same immersive experience. Our eyes tell our brains the focal distance, and we feel that in our perception of the image. Also, are we viewing solo, or with company? A big screen makes an even bigger difference when we're not alone. Just my opinion, and some of the reasons I'll be sticking with a Projector and screen...
The video I posted was meant tongue in cheek and not to be offensive. If you watch the video, it describes how humans gaining ability for language wasn't without cost. Many animals who are similar to us, including chimps, orangoutangs, and gorillas, have much better memory, and their reasoning skills in certain areas rival ours.

So it was a statement of some people with their language acquisition has hindered their ability to think properly in areas that showed tact. Yeah, mine wasn't completely tactful either. But that's something all animals, not only chimps or humans have. We tend to lash out and make an issue worse.

For that I apologize. Otherwise, the OP was only asking for trouble, and from everyone else, he got what he deserved.

Like I said, if he wanted to get a reasonable response, he could've posted this in the OLED forum. So why else did he choose to post this here unless conflict was what he was after?
post #275 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
That is quite fun/crazy because gaming on a projector is what got me a bit frustrated and made me turn to an OLED 77''.

I feel films which aren't dark translate very well to projection, extraordinarily well, especially SDR. But games really look a bit 'off' on a projector. I don't know what it is but they don't look as sharp, the colours really don't pop as much, they lack depth... Its strange.

For example RDR2 on 100'' projected image from epson 6050ub looked.. meh. but on the panasonic 902b 65'' or LG OLED 65''C9, it looked stunning.

However the level of immersion was obviously not close to the projected image.. but the projected image looked... wrong.. to the extent I kind of couldn't play it.

I think if you have an analytical mind always chasing perfection.. then you need an OLED + projector.
If you can just sit back, relax and enjoy what is infront of u rather than worrying what is the next best thing, a projector alone is so hard to beat because it is truly a spectacle and a feast for the eyes.

Also room size makes a big difference. If you have a gigantic room, a projector is the ONLY way to go. My home cinema room is quite small (but I still have both ).
Input lag tends to be worse on projectors. On my JVC NX7, it finally improved enough to be tolerable. It’s the first thing we noticed when we dusted off the OLED (decreased input lag).

So, would you have a bigger OLED if it was reasonable and available? It’s a trade off, for sure. But my family has been adamant about their preference, hence the virtually unused OLED. And that includes two Engineers (perfectionists).
post #276 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Did you purposefully cherry pick examples of the worst and then find the best examples you could for DLP? Low blow. 3chip LCOS can be VERY sharp.
No not at all, just the first pixel grid or convergence patterns I could find. It's not mean to diminish lcos, just to demonstrate that an array of factors affect detail/sharpness over just resolution. All things considered the same, it's very difficult to remove all chromatic aberration, which will compound with any misconvergence. In that first picture, there's color fringing on pretty much every edge. With single chip dlp, a high quality lens, and no use of lens shift, color fringing can be entirely absent.

In 0-1% ADL scenes, a JVC will appear sharper due to the higher contrast, even if a lower ansi contrast does affect pixel to pixel contrast. But in 8% ADL scenes will look much flatter. Sharpness in this aspect being a function of high frequency information vs low frequency.

I think D-ILA is some of the best performing liquid crystal modulation available. For liquid crystal it has an excellent response time with overshoot compensation. But there's just no comparison in terms of video rendering vs DLP, and it's good to be able to quantify those differences. A static image is one thing, but it's different once pixels are in a constant state of change.
post #277 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
Input lag tends to be worse on projectors. On my JVC NX7, it finally improved enough to be tolerable. It’s the first thing we noticed when we dusted off the OLED (decreased input lag).

So, would you have a bigger OLED if it was reasonable and available? It’s a trade off, for sure. But my family has been adamant about their preference, hence the virtually unused OLED. And that includes two Engineers (perfectionists).

I don't think I've ever said 77 inches is the dream image size. It is not. I'd rather have a 100 inch OLED. Sadly I cannot afford the next size up OLED without causing some significant damage to my bank balance but 77'' OLED is within the budget.

I think a 65'' OLED at 2.5ish metres is too tiny. I think 77 inches is tolerable to a cinematic experience (not ideal, just tolerable). Similar to how the projectors are only tolerable to me when it comes to black level, HDR performance, gsync, 120hz, HDR pixel level control and specular highlight detail etc.
Karl Maga likes this.

Audio: Arendal 1723S Tower S, 1723S Centre, 1723S Surrounds, KEF Q50a, BK Monolith Plus
post #278 of 383 Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
hahah you are trying to argue with the wrong person as I have a projector and an OLED (and a FALD TV).

I still have my 100 inch 16:9 projector screen

As I said Mike, its not a competition. Both devices have a clear role to play. I enjoy both projection and OLEDs and own both.

For fun movie watching, I will watch on a projector

For serious movie watching, I will still turn to an OLED because if gives reference quality blacks, specular highlight detail, true HDR performance, pixel perfect quality. However, the seating has to be adjusted to be closer to the screen hahaha.

Sadly HDR for me has ruined projection. SDR I really like projectors but HDR, I feel like I am missing out on a lot. When I had my Epson 6050UB, I loved it but I always knew I was getting a very subpar gimped HDR experience, even in films. HDR adds another dimension lost in projection, such as in the show Kingdom when they have bright lamps on a pitch black background or stars on a night sky which look... very meh on a projector.

Maybe JVC N9 in a treated pitch black room could make it look nicer..

I will do a thorough review of my 77'' OLED vs Projector once my home theater room is properly setup as I am quite blunt with technology and will always try to remove any bias.
Different people with difference opinions, I would only watch a movie on the OLED for funny but for serious movie watching it’s always the projector.

Don’t get me wrong the OLED throws a better image but it’s a glossy image due to the material it’s viewed through.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #279 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
The video I posted was meant tongue in cheek and not to be offensive. If you watch the video, it describes how humans gaining ability for language wasn't without cost. Many animals who are similar to us, including chimps, orangoutangs, and gorillas, have much better memory, and their reasoning skills in certain areas rival ours.
I know I would remember more if all I had to do was eat, poo, mate and pick my nose....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #280 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Different people with difference opinions, I would only watch a movie on the OLED for funny but for serious movie watching it’s always the projector.

Don’t get me wrong the OLED throws a better image but it’s a glossy image due to the material it’s viewed through.

I don't notice the gloss on the 65'' in the lounge when its dark but you could be right. There is something so nice about a PJ on a screen.. just feels classy and reminiscent of the theatre.

We'll see when I've set up the 77'' what my findings are . Its only 77'' vs 95-100'' image. I just am not sure if we are working in the 90''-100'' projector range, it is worth the compromise compared to a 77'' OLED or 85'' Sony LCD.

I think for those that have 120+ inch screens, its a bit more simple... PJ wins if you need/can accomdate that size.

post #281 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
I don't notice the gloss on the 65'' in the lounge when its dark but you could be right. There is something so nice about a PJ on a screen.. just feels classy and reminiscent of the theatre.

We'll see when I've set up the 77'' what my findings are . Its only 77'' vs 95-100'' image. I just am not sure if we are working in the 90''-100'' projector range, it is worth the compromise compared to a 77'' OLED or 85'' Sony LCD.

I think for those that have 120+ inch screens, its a bit more simple... PJ wins if you need/can accomdate that size.
You are UK like me and over here we generally don't have the same space (basements) that or US members have so screen sizes seldom get beyond 120" over here, but by the same token rooms generally can't accommodate TV sizes beyond 65" easily.

There's something magical about being able to roll a screen down and project a huge image and then roll it away again when not in use which is why in more family room applications a projector/screen option will always win hands down in my book. A TV's position is set in stone and can become an over bearing object in a family room when size increases, with a projector it can be done so subtlety that to the untrained eye they wouldn't even know it was there.

Of course dedicated rooms are a different matter where anything goes, I am sure if someone came out with a 100" OLED sub £6K I think even I might consider it but I don't think this will happen any time soon and probably not at sub £6K.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #282 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
77" is still way too small, that's a 73" scope screen.
The blacks are better on an oLED and the image is glossier and sharper, but it's still not worth losing that much size for giant scope movies.

Projector will never look as good as oLED because it lacks the special gloss coating they put over the TV. IMO, that gloss coating causes eye fatigue faster.

88" LG oLED costs $30,000, that's $25,000 for the next 11" over 77".
So that's about $2,000 per inch, at that rate this isn't happening anytime soon.
Good data points

I think the panel vs projector debate has been raging several years now. Given the variety of display tech, screen sizes, lumens and price points available for both panels and pj's now and moving forwards, there is room for both to coexist.

Both have their use cases- for large screen outdoor use and portability, the goto solution are the Epson 1060's/3000 series of the world. For routine daily viewing, can't beat the TCL's/Hisense LEDs with zone dimming, and for small room close seating best in class viewing, the OLEDs do the trick. For 8ft wide or larger, can't currently beat the size/cost/image proposition of projection

But for replicating the commercial viewing experience we grew up with, nothing can touch an 8ft wide min image, preferably wider. I'm using a basic Elite Screens electric 4x3 8ft wide screen, setting the bottom for 16x9 or 2.4:1 via programmed remote and top black mask and throwing an image from a JVC NX7, and wouldn't trade for anything smaller. I sit ~8ft from the 8ft wide screen. I am planning to go 10ft wide over the next year, and could do 12ft wide in my dedicated 100% light controlled theater.

Inches? We don't need no stinkin' inches- we add FEET at a time

There is something about sitting further back from a larger image, in absolute metrics, that lends to the immersive feel. While technically the field of view (FOV- simple angle the screen width makes with your eye where you sit) can be the same with a smaller screen if you sit closer, there is *something* about the absolute size of a screen and room volume that makes a real difference to immersion vs simple FOV.

Maybe someone with expertise in optics/vision/perception can elaborate, but I'm convinced there is something more to the "immersive feeling" than FOV, based on absolute image size and/or view distance and/or some other ratio.
R Harkness likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-01-2020 at 06:47 AM.
post #283 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14038 Post(s)
Liked: 11697
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
hahah you are trying to argue with the wrong person as I have a projector and an OLED (and a FALD TV).

I still have my 100 inch 16:9 projector screen

As I said Mike, its not a competition. Both devices have a clear role to play. I enjoy both projection and OLEDs and own both.

For fun movie watching, I will watch on a projector

For serious movie watching, I will still turn to an OLED because if gives reference quality blacks, specular highlight detail, true HDR performance, pixel perfect quality. However, the seating has to be adjusted to be closer to the screen hahaha.

Sadly HDR for me has ruined projection. SDR I really like projectors but HDR, I feel like I am missing out on a lot. When I had my Epson 6050UB, I loved it but I always knew I was getting a very subpar gimped HDR experience, even in films. HDR adds another dimension lost in projection, such as in the show Kingdom when they have bright lamps on a pitch black background or stars on a night sky which look... very meh on a projector.

Maybe JVC N9 in a treated pitch black room could make it look nicer..

I will do a thorough review of my 77'' OLED vs Projector once my home theater room is properly setup as I am quite blunt with technology and will always try to remove any bias.
I was not trying to argue. My point was, when deciding between a 77" TV and a 100" front projection setup, I could see some people picking the smaller TV. But here in the US, people usually run much larger front projector setups. So it really is no contest when choosing between a 77" TV and a much larger front projector setup. That was the only point I was trying to make.

As for your comment on HDR, HDR on a front projector can be better than what an Epson 6050 can provide. Especially on a 100" screen. It will just cost you a lot more money to get there.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 07-01-2020 at 07:20 AM.
post #284 of 383 Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I was not trying to argue. My point was, when deciding between a 77" TV and a 100" front projection setup, I could see some people picking the smaller TV. But here in the US, people usually run much larger front projector setups. So it really is no contest when choosing between a 77" TV and a much larger front projector setup. That was the only point I was trying to make.

I think thats the point I was already making.

In that if 77'' is big enough for you at an appropriate viewing distance.. then PJs are irrelavant.

But if you need bigger due to bigger rooms, then PJs are still superior.