577Likes

post #1 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Are Projectors dead?

I made this comment about 6 months ago and was jumped on but after buying a LG 2020 OLED CX 65" Im gonna ask it again. I recognize Ill be slammed (especially by the vendors who hand around here)

I have a 4K HDR projector in my theater on a 120" screen (Epson) and I find I dont even go down there any more after buying this OLED. Even Netfix shows in 4K HDR and Dolby Vision are simply STUNNING. I've run projectors now for 15 years. Im currently using this OLED as my gaming monitor at 4K and 120 hrz with the eArc out to my Marantz (So I get Dolby Atmos even on Netflix... making my ~100 4K blurays start to seem outdated too)

So as I buy a new house and have a dedicated theater space (18" x 14") that I plan to run 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos in, my plan is to dump a projector purchase and go with a LG 77" OLED (or whatever they have next year at this time when its built). All I gotta do is adjust seating distance and its all the same. With my icons on my second 27" monitor, start menu hidden and black desktop, the LG's black is so perfect that the TV looks like its turned off if I dont have anything on it.

Unless you are buying a $50,000 with a laser, I cant see anything comparing to this LG OLED... not even the best Atmos theaters I've been too.

The days of projectors are gone... into the niche. Long live the OLED... I HOPE we can start seeing some reasonably priced units in the 80-90-100 inch range in the future.
tanman and Edllguy like this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
If a 77 inch screen is enough then projectors are dead. Personally, unless I was sitting 4-5ft feet from the screen, a 77" TV wouldn't feel immersive to me. Do OLED's have advantages over projectors - absolutely, but you just can't get an immersive experience (especially for multiple people in a room at the same time) with a TV. Now my TV is only 64" but it's a dang good Plasma that I think looks as good or better than OLED, and I can't bring myself to watch any movies on it - it's for casual TV only.

I think the biggest "threat" to projectors are screen walls like the Samsung "The Wall" but at $400K they are a long way off from being mainstream. Of course the Christie Eclipse projector seems to have specs that best an OLED TV so maybe there is hope for projectors after all
Spizz, Rgb, seanbryan and 13 others like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #3 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
77" is still way too small, that's a 73" scope screen.
The blacks are better on an oLED and the image is glossier and sharper, but it's still not worth losing that much size for giant scope movies.

Projector will never look as good as oLED because it lacks the special gloss coating they put over the TV. IMO, that gloss coating causes eye fatigue faster.

88" LG oLED costs $30,000, that's $25,000 for the next 11" over 77".
So that's about $2,000 per inch, at that rate this isn't happening anytime soon.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 277
When I can buy a 165" flat panel TV for $3000 I still won't be able to fit in through my door or down the stairs so Projector it is then.
post #5 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
I made this comment about 6 months ago and was jumped on but after buying a LG 2020 OLED CX 65" Im gonna ask it again. I recognize Ill be slammed (especially by the vendors who hand around here)

I have a 4K HDR projector in my theater on a 120" screen (Epson) and I find I dont even go down there any more after buying this OLED. Even Netfix shows in 4K HDR and Dolby Vision are simply STUNNING. I've run projectors now for 15 years. Im currently using this OLED as my gaming monitor at 4K and 120 hrz with the eArc out to my Marantz (So I get Dolby Atmos even on Netflix... making my ~100 4K blurays start to seem outdated too)

So as I buy a new house and have a dedicated theater space (18" x 14") that I plan to run 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos in, my plan is to dump a projector purchase and go with a LG 77" OLED (or whatever they have next year at this time when its built). All I gotta do is adjust seating distance and its all the same. With my icons on my second 27" monitor, start menu hidden and black desktop, the LG's black is so perfect that the TV looks like its turned off if I dont have anything on it.

Unless you are buying a $50,000 with a laser, I cant see anything comparing to this LG OLED... not even the best Atmos theaters I've been too.

The days of projectors are gone... into the niche. Long live the OLED... I HOPE we can start seeing some reasonably priced units in the 80-90-100 inch range in the future.
Blacks are amazing on OLED . Picture is stunning.

Way too small for the price. Way too expensive for the largest sizes.

JVC RS3000, DCR LENS, Lumagen/madVR Envy, and a Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 will set you back around $30K. But your screen can be 150+inches with that combination. You could the substitute JVC RS2000 and madVR HTPC and cut that budget in half and still be almost as spectacular.

It will be very close to the best OLED IMHO but way way bigger. 98 inch OLED will run you $60K. And still won't be anywhere close to being a movie theater experience. You can't place speakers behind a television.

Projectors are only getting more popular not less, with COVID increasing people's desires to create the movie experience at home without all the anxiety of catching COVID19.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Put simply, no.

Firstly projection is excellent value for money. You can get a 120'' projected image for under £500 second hand which handles 1080p content fine.
For £2500 you can get a 4K HDR image from Epson which again can project comfortably a 120'' screen.

Going down the OLED route, the only size I see as viable for a cinema experience is the 77'' OLED. This requires a seating distance of probably 2-3 metres to be comfortably and fulfil THX requirements at the least.

Most people's rooms are probably bigger than 2-3M. So if your viewing distanced exceed that, your options are severely limited and you edge into projector territory.

I'd say long term wise, OLED TVs won't get bigger. Instead we'll go through an OLED 8K revolution where we all switch to 8k and pay a premium. Then I predict a return of 3D and we get 8K-3D TVs. Thats probably a cycle for the next 10 years.

For image fidelity, is projectionon the ropes? Yes. Despite excellent tone mapping, projectors are severe lacking in the ability to produce HDR content in respect to specular highlight detail and bright objects on dark images. There is now sadly scenes which a projector just cannot emulate. They cannot emulate the flames of a torch during a night scene like an OLED can. Similarly the black floor is now beyond the reach for most projectors except JVC. Before with an ALR screen, my Sony PJ could look like a big plasma to an extent. It doesn't touch the instant total black void which OLEDs provide.

I'd say if you have a small home cinema room with a seating distance of 2-2.8M, then yes, you can enter god-mode, which is a 77'' OLED. However otherwise for anyone with a bigger more medium sized room, you have to go down the PJ route.

u susbtite a slice loss of scale for a beautiful screen/IQ but then u also need to work some magic with ur speaker placement to still give the feeling of a large soundstage.
Osamede and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #7 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Ill add the acoustically transparent screen point that an emissive display will never accomplish.

For now, rgb laser is the only way to hit bt2020.

DLP pixel response is superior to oled as well, in response, accuracy, and the impulse aspect.

Vs a 3chip liquid crystal projector though, uhp bulb or blue laser, ya oled is drastically superior technically.
post #8 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Of course my kids seem satisfied to watch a movie on their phones and airpods, so what do I know.
Spizz, johng, Dave Vaughn and 15 others like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #9 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2800
Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...rojectors.html

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #10 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
The days of projectors are gone... into the niche.
Projectors have always been a niche. Are they dead? Not yet. Are they dying? Sure but you could say that about a lot of things. We are still many years away from any other >100" technology being practical. And it that niche the only option right now is projectors. If you are talking about <85" screen sizes then yes I would say projectors are dead there.
Spizz, johng, eljaycanuck and 1 others like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
I'd say long term wise, OLED TVs won't get bigger. Instead we'll go through an OLED 8K revolution where we all switch to 8k and pay a premium. Then I predict a return of 3D and we get 8K-3D TVs. Thats probably a cycle for the next 10 years.
I dont understand 8k for home entertainment at all, 4k I get there are instances where the resolution is beneficial, but 8k? There are a myriad of other areas of video performance to be improved without needing ghe processing for 8k upscaling or the bandwidth for 8k source resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
For image fidelity, is projectionon the ropes? Yes. Despite excellent tone mapping, projectors are severe lacking in the ability to produce HDR content in respect to specular highlight detail and bright objects on dark images. There is now sadly scenes which a projector just cannot emulate. They cannot emulate the flames of a torch during a night scene like an OLED can. Similarly the black floor is now beyond the reach for most projectors except JVC. Before with an ALR screen, my Sony PJ could look like a big plasma to an extent. It doesn't touch the instant total black void which OLEDs provide.
Dollar for dollar theres some truth to this. The Eclipse is expensive, but its the reference for HDR viewing now. Old DLP projectors from 10 years ago using the 0.95" dmd and phlatlight pt120 leds were able to hit 90% bt2020 at 600 lumens using 250w. They didnt have oled black floor, but the color and pixel performance and sharpness, especially the models with the premium lenses, can render a very high contrast image.

We should hopefully see 2chip dlp in the future which should hopefully provide 100k:1+ contrast, and rgb laser dlp is just now inching its way under $10k.

The challenge for oled to overcome is maintaing brightness while using pulsed rolling scan to avoid sample and hold. Motion is so much better on my mico40 than by lg b9 the contrast almost doesnt matter sometimes.
post #12 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Just proves Planet of the Apes is the most accurate Sci Fi movie ever made, we're only one gene splice away from it becoming a reality.

Hence, if the chimps can pick numbers that fast, think what they can do with a sniper rifle, we have no chance.

And if you think Covid is bad...
https://www.technologyreview.com/201...ay-be-smarter/

The sad thing is even though they probably saw the movie, they decided to do it anyways.
It's because of hybrid vigor. If you backcross a wolf with a domesticated dog, the result is a dog smarter than each separate.

I personally believe the reason we became smarter was because of hallucinogens. In order to relay to others our experience, our brains needed to get bigger, and we developed language.

Also I think chimps would lose the ability to do such fast short term memory with the ability of language, just like we did. The same neural pathways responsible for language, are responsible for losing our memory.

People who have been brain damaged, but already know how to do a certain task, our brains will rewire themselves so a non-critical portion of the brain now does the same task through plasticity.

I also think our closest ancestors are the orangutang. Chimps may share more DNA, but the orangutang shares more coding DNA with us, which are responsible for our hand type, posture, etc which we share with the orangutang.

There's two types of DNA, coding and non-coding. The coding is responsible for phenotype, among other things. While non-coding is DNA which was sliced in by bacteria and viruses we fought off. Sort of like mother nature doing genetic engineering. Those non-coding DNA are used as part of our immune response. So all it proves is chimps share a common history of being exposed to the same pathogens as us.

Although the new Planet of the Apes movies were done poorly, and had so much potential. Those damn dirty directors!

Oh and scientists are evil little .... Scientists tried and failed once to make strange matter, which is a theoretical form of matter which converts regular matter to strange matter. They wanted to see if they could make some, even though if they had succeeded, we would no longer exist. Of course they failed, since we're here to type out our opinion of them.

They succeeded in making strange matter, but were disappointed it didn't do what they expected and cause a doomsday chain reaction. I mean who does that?

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/sc...lled-universe/
post #13 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Post some pictures of your room so that we can see what you are using to compare to an OLED. I also see that you are comparing the image of an Epson Home Cinema 4000 to an OLED. Get a projector that has good contrast and if your room is optimized, you might not feel the same way. An OLED does throw a beautiful picture, but 77" size is way too small for a dedicated room, to me.
post #14 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
They succeeded in making strange matter, but were disappointed it didn't do what they expected and cause a doomsday chain reaction. I mean who does that?
The same kind of people working on pathology Gain of Function =p
post #15 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But seriously, why do you post this here? Why not in the OLED section where more cheerleaders like you exist?

Projectors are more than about PQ and CR, or brightness, etc. You can't have a 16 foot wide screen using an emissive display without spending millions of dollars. While you can for tens of thousands with a projector.

Also the way light from a projector works looks way different than from an emissive display. It's like the difference between watching a real fire on Christmas, or a fire on your TV. I seriously don't get why people put a video of a fireplace on their tv?
Spizz, johng, LLCD and 4 others like this.
post #16 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just bought a 65" LG E9 last week to replace the 49" Sony LED that I use as a PC monitor in my office room. Gaming at 1440p/120Hz is amazing and the picture is fantastic for 4k HDR content.

In the next room, I'm running a JVC RS500 and NX7 (with DCR lens & madVR) onto a 104" 16:9 fixed screen and a 125" 2.39:1 motorize screen.

For film/TV show watching alone (even if I had the same audio and seating setup in both rooms), I will always choose the projector setup 100% of the time. The size can't be beat and I actually prefer the cinema-like picture that a projector throws over my OLED TV.

However, I do all of my gaming (except for Rock Band) on the TV. Projector is way too big for that since I easily get motion sickness.
post #17 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Haha, no.

I only have a 140" projection screen now, but for my next setup I want at least 200".

I'm only moving farther away from TVs.
SteveFred, SOWK, jeahrens and 5 others like this.
post #18 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 722
77 is still to small. I had a projector/ theatre room for three years. Then I got a 65 oled and found I was not using my projector. A year later I sold the projector. Once the ah of oled Wore off I missed the big screen of a projector. I moved up to a 77 oled but still missed the projector. I sit about 12 feet away. I now have a x790r Jvc with a 110 inch screen and I have been loving it the last 6 months. I don’t find myself missing the 77 oled at all. I still have a 55 oled in the bedroom. My brother has my 77 oled in his second bedroom that he’s converted to a cave. Sitting 6-7 feet from a 77 oled is a amazing. If my seated distance was 6-7 I would pick the oled over the projector.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #19 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
When I can buy a 165" flat panel TV for $3000 I still won't be able to fit in through my door or down the stairs so Projector it is then.
Never say never, tech wise, some day very soon you may be able to buy a rolled up 165" OLED screen (like our pull down projector screen) that you raise and lower now like your screen.

Just looking at how thin this 65" CX is (thinner then my pinky fingernail).

I dont doubt they are coming within 10 years...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #20 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never say never, tech wise, some day very soon you may be able to buy a rolled up 165" OLED screen (like our pull down projector screen) that you raise and lower now like your screen. Just looking at how thin this 65" CX is (thinner then my pinky fingernail). I dont doubt they are coming within 10 years...
It will be microled with quantum dots, a very enticing video display. But will it be acoustically transparent? As the TVs get larger there's less room to the sides and underneath for speakers.
LLCD likes this.
post #21 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
post #22 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thank you to all the normal responces lol.

I love that the hyper angry guys are mostly the ones who says "wull... when deh are big then I'll buy"... Its amazing that people have no concept of distance ratios, especially when you consider that 99% of theaters in this world are probably less then 15' deep. You can easily design a theater, sitting in the dark where you are sitting 8' away from a 80" screen vs 15' from a 120' screen and it looks exactly the same...

I knew the topic would rub a few people wrong, didn't expect such anger... The topic sure gets people bent reading some of these responses, resulting in childish blather.

Sounds just like the HD-DVD guys at the end, FLAMMING mad at people who said it... bet they are still here.
8' from an 80" screen, that puts you barely on the edge of getting any benefit from 4K. You might as well be watching 1080P, as far as resolution goes. I sit 9' from a 110" wide screen. You are talking about people getting angry and yet you are the one coming across uniformed. Comparing a cheap 2017 low contrast LCD projector to a 2020 OLED, no one would be surprised that you found the OLED to provide the better image. The projector is not even 4K. It would not even be close. But you posted in the $3,000 plus section of the forum, even though your projector was less than $2,000.
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H715120
https://www.rgb.com/display-size-res...ewing-distance

Sounds like you are just trolling, just like your earlier thread that Robster linked to. Maybe you should go experience a good projector setup in a good room and then see if you feel the same. Yes, the OLED will still throw the better image, but the gap will be much smaller. Small enough that the OLED will not be able to overcome the other obvious advantages of the front projector setup. There are a ton of of guys on AVSF that have good front projector setups and OLED TV's and I can tell you they are not doing their serious movie watching on their OLED.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.
post #23 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 410
My personal opinion is projectors are not going anywhere. They are far from dead. I do see a lot of people opt for 77" OLED which are nice units but mostly because they are going away from the dedicated theater. I like my OLED but for movies or gaming I use projectors. For casual viewing the OLED's are great though I can't really fault them.
post #24 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
My personal opinion is projectors are not going anywhere. They are far from dead. I do see a lot of people opt for 77" OLED which are nice units but mostly because they are going away from the dedicated theater. I like my OLED but for movies or gaming I use projectors. For casual viewing the OLED's are great though I can't really fault them.
I cant see any point in the near future where we see acoustically transparent emissive displays, and speakers are going to limit the size of a tv. So kind of a pointless assertion in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Projectors are only getting more popular not less, with COVID increasing people's desires to create the movie experience at home without all the anxiety of catching COVID19.
A shining light in the dark of a pandemic is increased focus on front projection... See what I did there.
BP1Fanatic and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #25 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

For anyone looking at a sub 100" setup, I would suggest an 85" HDTV. But stuff starts to get tricky past 85".
post #26 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I cant see any point in the near future where we see acoustically transparent emissive displays, and speakers are going to limit the size of a tv. So kind of a pointless assertion in the end.
If you build it, they will come.

I don't need no stinkin' speakers!

post #27 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
In my house full of OLEDs my JVC projector and SI Black Diamond screen sees there most use.
Size > *
post #28 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post

A shining light in the dark of a pandemic is increased focus on front projection... See what I did there.
I see what you did there and I love it!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #29 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Post some pictures of your room so that we can see what you are using to compare to an OLED. I also see that you are comparing the image of an Epson Home Cinema 4000 to an OLED. Get a projector that has good contrast and if your room is optimized, you might not feel the same way. An OLED does throw a beautiful picture, but 77" size is way too small for a dedicated room, to me.
Fully agree. Even when I played with my JVC at one point going to 120" to get more light and sitting closer I was missing on the level of immersion my previous 140" size was giving me. Imagine going down to 77"!

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
Power Conditioner/Regulator: Monster HTPS 7000 Sig | Monster AVS 2000
post #30 of 400 Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sounds like you are just trolling, just like your earlier thread that Robster linked to. Maybe you should go experience a good projector setup in a good room and then see if you feel the same. Yes, the OLED will still throw the better image, but the gap will be much smaller. Small enough that the OLED will not be able to overcome the other obvious advantages of the front projector setup. There are a ton of of guys on AVSF that have good front projector setups and OLED TV's and I can tell you they are not doing their serious movie watching on their OLED.
For my part, the blatant attacks on me with links to youtube videos calling me a dumb chimp were deleted so you can't see them. That is who I was responding to in that post, but I agree with you, especially on niche custom huge home theaters (and not the 99% of people who are dealing with 15' rooms) with $50,000 laser projectors (at least for now). I've messages Mark about other that stuff now.

Lets have this out though. Lets get someone to do a review of a 77" LG OLED with seating at 7 feet vs a say $30,000 projector to a 120" screen sitting at 15' and see which is better. Same theater, just move the seats. Data speaks louder then anything. Im perfectly happy having rational discussions and being proved wrong which is the scientific method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page