Need Help Deciding on New Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By Archibald1
  • 2 Post By Azekecse
  • 2 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By Alexander Chopra

post #1 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need Help Deciding on New Projector

Hello all,

Been looking around for awhile for opinions on a new projector. I have the Sony VW295ES currently, and looking to upgrade. Came across the VW695ES, and it seems like an upgrade, but the specs seem very similar for a large price difference (only thing I noted was an increase in lumen by 300). Is there something I am missing in relation to the price difference between the two and their price differences?

Also from reading around here I came across the JVC DLA-NX7 4K D-ILA. What do you think would be the best bet in a similar price range? Or is there another that would be more recommended? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Chopra View Post
Hello all,

Been looking around for awhile for opinions on a new projector. I have the Sony VW295ES currently, and looking to upgrade. Came across the VW695ES, and it seems like an upgrade, but the specs seem very similar for a large price difference (only thing I noted was an increase in lumen by 300). Is there something I am missing in relation to the price difference between the two and their price differences?

Also from reading around here I came across the JVC DLA-NX7 4K D-ILA. What do you think would be the best bet in a similar price range? Or is there another that would be more recommended? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
The JVC NX7 and DCR lens is the best combo I’ve encountered. See if you can get a combo deal. What is your screen size/material etc. The DCR lens requires a throw distance of 1.4.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 110
These comparisons may help you work through some different options
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ome-projector/
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...st-projectors/

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you,
JVC NX7 for sure. The dynamic tone mapping is heads above any projectors in its price range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Azekecse likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
The JVC NX7 and DCR lens is the best combo I’ve encountered. See if you can get a combo deal. What is your screen size/material etc. The DCR lens requires a throw distance of 1.4.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Hello,

Currently screen size I have is 105" and the projector is 12.5 feet from the wall. It is a focupix brand screen, backing is grey, vinyl type fabric.

The DCR lens that you are mentioning, is that the same as what im coming up with some quick searches to be 7-9k (new user so cant link the site yet that I came across, it is panamorph's website noting the paladin DCR though)? If so, that combination might be outside of the price range a bit...

What would you recommend best path forward to be?

Thank you,
post #6 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello,

Currently screen size I have is 105" and the projector is 12.5 feet from the wall. It is a focupix brand screen, backing is grey, vinyl type fabric.

The DCR lens that you are mentioning, is that the same as what im coming up with some quick searches to be 7-9k (new user so cant link the site yet that I came across, it is panamorph's website noting the paladin DCR though)? If so, that combination might be outside of the price range a bit...

Thank you,
Is the Paladin DCR makes that big of a difference? would it be worthwhile looking at the NX5 instead of 7 and then looking to add the DCR to the NX5 to keep costs down?
post #7 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,
Even without the DCR lens the NX7 is still amazing.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you,
The differences between the 270 and 570 are:
*Advanced iris to give much higher contrast
*More motionflow options
*Lens memory function for different screen sizes/aspect ratios
*300 more lumens

Whether these are worth the extra outlay is a personal thing.

The NX 5 costs a little more than the 570 iirc and is a good choice with its DTM.
The NX7 is another step up again and will cost a fair bit more than any of the others mentioned.

There is always the Epson EH-TW9400 if you want to reduce your outlay and is great value and a good choice if you don't mind a pixel shifter for 4K content.

HTH.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,
My personal recommendation would be the JVC NX7 and a new bigger screen (depending on budget/room dimensions). You can do the Silver Ticket (best budget screen) or Stewart StudioTek 130 G4, considered the Rose Royce of screens (<2K). Verify your screen size and throw @ projectorcentral.com. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR

Last edited by Azekecse; 06-24-2020 at 02:51 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14054 Post(s)
Liked: 11735
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,
If you were considering the VW695, then the projector I would be looking at is the RS2000/NX7. I assume your screen is 16:9, so you would not really need the DCR lens. The RS2000/NX7 is by far, the best under 10k projector out there.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If you were considering the VW695, then the projector I would be looking at is the RS2000/NX7. I assume your screen is 16:9, so you would not really need the DCR lens. The RS2000/NX7 is by far, the best under 10k projector out there.
Noted. So the main benefit of using the DCR lens is changing the aspect ratio? I think I am still missing something in regards to the DCR lens and the benefits that comes with it for the steep price that I am finding online. It was previously mentioned sometimes there are bundles that come out with the two combined, where are some places that do this so I can keep an eye out.

So from what I have learned so far, I will be looking at the NX7 and getting an upgrade for my current screen/background, and possibly holding off on the DCR as it doesn't seem like it would be a massive benefit for me currently.

Are there any other extras or things that I would need other than the projector, screen and cabling that I am missing? Does the NX7 come with a mounting kit for the ceiling, or is that a universal type thing I can use my existing mounts for?
post #12 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
My personal recommendation would be the JVC NX7 and a new bigger screen (depending on budget/room dimensions). You can do the Silver Ticket (best budget screen) or Stewart StudioTek 130 G4, considered the Rose Royce of screens (<2K). Verify your screen size and throw @ projectorcentral.com. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
A question regarding projectorcenteral:

I am fiddling around with their calculator, I am not fully understanding the bottom sections, what is "zoom range" and "screen gain"? I am unsure of what I should be setting those values to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	5
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	2748558  
post #13 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Zoom is modifying the size of the image to match the screen at the given throw distance (throw = the distance you mount the projector from the screen). Just like when you walk backwards with a flash light at the wall (the picture gets bigger), same concept except Zoom compensates to make it even larger (hence making the flashlight wider dispersed light cone). You can mount a projector anywhere in the allowable zoom range for a given throw. The closer you mount it (the more zoom), the brighter the image will be, though it's not a lot brighter, just a little.

Screen gain means how bright the screen is relative to a neutral white surface being 1.0 gain. Hence 1.1 gain is 10% brighter than 1.0 gain. Almost all screens with gain over 1.3 have side effects, so you'd want to look for screens with 0.9 to 1.3 gain usually, unless you have a unique requirement.

As far as which projector to buy, JVC is the only option worth mentioning these days usually, unless you are in a different budget, but since your not, I'd stick with a JVC. In the old days, there was a lot more competition, but JVC kind of ran away with the ball at this point, and almost all the other projectors have issues with outdated features and what not. Some Sonys and Epsons are ok, but not in the same league for picture quality. Problem is for the money Sony lacks way too many features and many of their models have HDR headaches or color bit depth issues.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-25-2020 at 04:48 AM.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Some Sonys and Epsons are ok, but not in the same league for picture quality. Problem is for the money Sony lacks way too many features and many of their models have HDR headaches or color bit depth issues.
For balance I feel I must speak at this juncture. All current Sonys and a lot of current Epsons are 'okay' (great) in reality. My current one has superb PQ as a matter of fact and DTM aside (which is more of an HDR presentation thing anyway) it is definite 'in the same league' as the JVCs. SDR is also fabulous.
As for lacking features for the given cash that is true, but debatable as to whether a couple of missing features at a certain price is 'way too many'.
for instance I would say that the only feature a 570 lacks over the NX5 & 7 is DTM. That is a crappy shortcoming now the free DTM genie is out of the bottle, but it is still only one feature (that most would care about).
I have approximately zero HDR headaches on my 760. However DTM would doubtless fix any niggles that may require a quick tweak occasionally and I remain hopeful us owners will be thrown a bone with this in the not too distant future.
The only colour bit depth issue I have seen are attributed to the weird near black thing that appeared after the last couple of updates that were designed to reveal more shadow detail. I never noticed it was bad before the update so from that perspective they 'broke' something that didn't need 'fixing' IMO.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 06-25-2020 at 05:46 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Noted. So the main benefit of using the DCR lens is changing the aspect ratio? I think I am still missing something in regards to the DCR lens and the benefits that comes with it for the steep price that I am finding online. It was previously mentioned sometimes there are bundles that come out with the two combined, where are some places that do this so I can keep an eye out.

So from what I have learned so far, I will be looking at the NX7 and getting an upgrade for my current screen/background, and possibly holding off on the DCR as it doesn't seem like it would be a massive benefit for me currently.

Are there any other extras or things that I would need other than the projector, screen and cabling that I am missing? Does the NX7 come with a mounting kit for the ceiling, or is that a universal type thing I can use my existing mounts for?
DCR lens is really for those that have scope screens. The DCR lens gives you added brightness on scope movies, greater pixel fill, no black bars to have to deal with and much quicker aspect ratio changes.

Video wise, you just need projector, mount, screen, HDMI cable and a current AVR/prepro. Of course you also need a good room. As for where, you need to talk to dealers. Do not buy your projector online. JVC's are not sold online by authorized dealers and you would be giving up advanced exchange, buy doing so.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-25-2020 at 06:30 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:

You can watch aspect movies on an aspect screen with the JVC . No issues. But you will have approximately a third of the lumens being projected into the black bars outside of the screen. The DCR lens properly formats the lumens from the projector into scope ratio so there are no more black bars . Period. Those lumens that were wasted on the black bars are now being used on the actual scope image. You get back 38% more lumens now with using the DCR lens. Your image is now 38% brighter than without the DCR Lens. I hope that clears it up for you.

post #17 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
You can watch aspect movies on an aspect screen with the JVC . No issues. But you will have approximately a third of the lumens being projected into the black bars outside of the screen. The DCR lens properly formats the lumens from the projector into scope ratio so there are no more black bars . Period. Those lumens that were wasted on the black bars are now being used on the actual scope image. You get back 38% more lumens now with using the DCR lens. Your image is now 38% brighter than without the DCR Lens. I hope that clears it up for you.

That makes sense, thank you for that explanation.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
. Do not buy your projector online. JVC's are not sold online by authorized dealers and you would be giving up advanced exchange, buy doing so.
What do you mean by advanced exchange?
post #19 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
As for lacking features for the given cash that is true, but debatable as to whether a couple of missing features at a certain price is 'way too many'. for instance I would say that the only feature a 570 lacks over the NX5 & 7 is DTM. That is a crappy shortcoming now the free DTM genie is out of the bottle, but it is still only one feature (that most would care about).
DTM = Dynamic Tone Mapping, correct? Just so I am understanding correctly.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by advanced exchange?
I guess, I should have clarified, for US customers. If not in the US, this probably does not apply. Advanced exchange is if you projector tears up during the warranty period, JVC can send you a replacement and a return label for the defective projector.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DTM = Dynamic Tone Mapping, correct? Just so I am understanding correctly.
Sorry it is much easier to just type DTM.

Yes, that is it.

post #22 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
For balance I feel I must speak at this juncture. All current Sonys and a lot of current Epsons are 'okay' (great) in reality. My current one has superb PQ as a matter of fact and DTM aside (which is more of an HDR presentation thing anyway) it is definite 'in the same league' as the JVCs. SDR is also fabulous.
We are talking about equivalent budgets, the Sonys are often silly expensive compared to the JVC, especially in the US and especially the Sony lasers. There are disadvantages, but I'm not going to name them all and I agree most are not deal-breakers, but some do kind of show Sony and Epson being out-dated, even though Epson added the extra bandwidth, still issues.

It's not just DTM anymore, it's all the extra automated settings candy that JVC added to help with scope content and varying aspect ratios, which is becoming a huge issue, whereas in the past we mainly had 2 aspects (well 2 close enough, still varying), but what I mean is now they are intentionally constantly changing aspects even sometimes in the same TV show or movie.

I don't know about that specific model that much, but every Sony I tested had pixel mapping issues in certain modes, inability to resolve patterns, chroma issues, and bit-depth / posterization. These were recent Sony models from 1.5 years ago and I intentionally played content on them that I knew might be problematic, and it was.

That said, how much this affected video is unknown, since my watching time was limited.
The black levels also weren't in the same league as the last gen JVC's, sure closer to this new NX gen though.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page