• 3 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New PJ rumors

Hi everyone,

I used to be on this forum 17 years ago for about 10 years as Robert Holloway. Lost my old email and password, so had to start again. I've has a a William Phelps calibrated JVC SX21 and Sony VPL VW50. I'm about to get back into the game. I am very sensitive to RBE, at least back in 2010.

Some questions:

Does anyone know a good rumor location for new PJs in the next 3 months. If you were going to spend between $4-8k on a projector and wanted to use a 120" wide 2.35 fixed screen in a light controlled room, where would you look?

Many thanks
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Holloway View Post
Hi everyone,

I used to be on this forum 17 years ago for about 10 years as Robert Holloway. Lost my old email and password, so had to start again. I've has a a William Phelps calibrated JVC SX21 and Sony VPL VW50. I'm about to get back into the game. I am very sensitive to RBE, at least back in 2010.

Some questions:

Does anyone know a good rumor location for new PJs in the next 3 months. If you were going to spend between $4-8k on a projector and wanted to use a 120" wide 2.35 fixed screen in a light controlled room, where would you look?

Many thanks
Rob
I'd look at a JVC RS2000. It's highly doubtful there will be any new projectors this year, but there are some excellent projectors out now.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
I concur with Craig, for your suggested budget the JVC is probably the best projector because it ticks all the boxes of native 4K, great blacks and the best out of the box HDR.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11723
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Some questions:

Many thanks
Rob
What fabric in your screen? What throw distance?
post #5 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What fabric in your screen? What throw distance?
Hi Garrett

I'm going to build a screen, so all I know at this moment is that I'm looking at fixed 2.35 aspect ratio and 120" wide. As I can control light within the room I think a white screen is likely the best. Though I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Rob
post #6 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Hi Garrett

I'm going to build a screen, so all I know at this moment is that I'm looking at fixed 2.35 aspect ratio and 120" wide. As I can control light within the room I think a white screen is likely the best. Though I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Rob
Solid or AT screen fabric? What is your viewing distance?

The Sony 295 may not be bright enough for a 120" wide scope screen. What fabric do you have in your screen?

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-26-2020 at 07:51 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'd look at a JVC RS2000. It's highly doubtful there will be any new projectors this year, but there are some excellent projectors out now.
Thanks I've had 3 projectors in the past, a Sony CRT with a Faroudja line Doubler, and JVC and Sony DILA and SXRD projectors. These were the two brands I was considering. However, I was seeing all the "new" excitement around the Optoma UHZ65 DLP laser projector, but nervous about RBE.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks I've had 3 projectors in the past, a Sony CRT with a Faroudja line Doubler, and JVC and Sony DILA and SXRD projectors. These were the two brands I was considering. However, I was seeing all the "new" excitement around the Optoma UHZ65 DLP laser projector, but nervous about RBE.
See RBE on most of the newer DLP's ( don't like it ), and the contrast on them is usually not so good ( also don't like that ). I went from a Sim Lumis Host to a JVC RS600, and was happy. But the native 4K projectors are excellent picture wise and a step above.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
4x color wheel so that will have worse rbe. Not a superb lens in that projector. If you really want dlp its best to look at older used units and use madvr or maybe an ht9060 if black floor isnt a concern.
DoctorCyclops likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
See RBE on most of the newer DLP's ( don't like it ), and the contrast on them is usually not so good ( also don't like that ). I went from a Sim Lumis Host to a JVC RS600, and was happy. But the native 4K projectors are excellent picture wise and a step above.
Thanks Craig, I seem to be zeroing in on the JVC NX5 and Sony 295ES. Appreciate the comments and help.
post #11 of 30 Old 06-26-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Thanks Craig, I seem to be zeroing in on the JVC NX5 and Sony 295ES. Appreciate the comments and help.
I'm using a JVC RS2000/N7 with a 120in wide 2.35 screen. The RS1000/NX5 will work just as great. You can't go wrong with either. If a DLP is your preferred route, then the Benq HT9060 will work. I would prefer the JVC because I watch a lot of movies and the scope screen you are building is a movie watching screen. 4k HDR is phenomenal on these JVC projectors.
Craig Peer and DoctorCyclops like this.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Quote:
All things being equal, the NX5 is the pick there, but if you can get the 295 at a great price (you want to keep hold of as much money as possible) then it will not disappoint. Have fun choosing.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
All things being equal, the NX5 is the pick there, but if you can get the 295 at a great price (you want to keep hold of as much money as possible) then it will not disappoint. Have fun choosing.
The NX5 is worth the difference for D.T.M alone. Frame Adapt HDR and auto switching makes a big difference.
DavidHir and llang269 like this.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
With a scope screen he's going to need lens memory and power zoom / focus / lens shift.
Archibald1 and DavidHir like this.
post #15 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
You're going to get much better native contrast and tone mapping with the NX5 vs 295.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The NX5 is worth the difference for D.T.M alone. Frame Adapt HDR and auto switching makes a big difference.
Maybe, but if one's budget simply doesn't stretch to the extra (or you want to spend the minimum possible) then it is irrelevant.
DTM on a Lumagen is superior to that on my 760, but I do not have the money to buy one, so any improvement it may bring is moot .

Now, if Sony reduced the price of the 295 and the 695 markedly, that would make things less clear cut.

I reckon they could, since they had the home native 4K market to themselves (with the associated lack of innovation) for 6 odd years.

Or they could step up and imbue their line up with DTM for free like JVC, level the playing field and make things more interesting again.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Maybe, but if one's budget simply doesn't stretch to the extra then it is irrelevant. DTM on a Lumagen is superior to that on my 760, but I do not have the money to buy one, so any improvement it may bring is irrelevant.

Now, if Sony reduced the price of the 295 and the 695 markedly, that would make things less clear cut.

I reckon they could, since they had the home native 4K market to themselves (with the associated lack of innovation) for 6 odd years.

Or they could step up and imbue their line up with DTM for free like JVC, level the playing field and make things more interesting again.
I don't think they could do what JVC did with a firmware update. I don't think they have the free processing power to do it but I could be wrong. JVC had to remove pin cushion which was not used much to include DTM. Sony could come out with new models with it included and make the necessary hardware changes. At this point everything is speculation.
post #18 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Maybe, but if one's budget simply doesn't stretch to the extra (or you want to spend the minimum possible) then it is irrelevant.
DTM on a Lumagen is superior to that on my 760, but I do not have the money to buy one, so any improvement it may bring is moot .

I have not been in the PJ market for a few years and my son managed to wangle my Sony VPL VW50 off me. I do wonder if the $3k+ home theater projector market has expanded or contracted in the past 10 years? This would help explain Sony's strategy.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I don't think they could do what JVC did with a firmware update. I don't think they have the free processing power to do it but I could be wrong. JVC had to remove pin cushion which was not used much to include DTM. Sony could come out with new models with it included and make the necessary hardware changes. At this point everything is speculation.
I believe they do have the power at hand to do so.
All they need to do (especlally if space or oomph is limited) is repurpose Dynamic Contrast Enhancement (which is a frame by frame system already) and have DTM instead.
Or just replace DCE with DTM in HDR mode only and leave DCE as is on SDR.

The custom FPGA chip inside the Sony's is very powerful and versatile.
MOberhardt likes this.

post #20 of 30 Old 06-27-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
You're going to get much better native contrast and tone mapping with the NX5 vs 295.
As we saw in Denver in March, the RS1000 / NX5 has better contrast than the VW695!
DavidHir and Archibald1 like this.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-01-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holloway View Post
I have not been in the PJ market for a few years and my son managed to wangle my Sony VPL VW50 off me. I do wonder if the $3k+ home theater projector market has expanded or contracted in the past 10 years? This would help explain Sony's strategy.
I likely had the Ruby (VW100) at the same time as your Pearl (VW50). They competed against the JVC RS1 at that point in time. The reason folks bought the Sony over the JVC then are exactly the today.

The differences are almost exactly the same as 10 to 15 years ago. The JVCs are still the king of on/off contrast and thus very dark scene contrast. The Sony does a little better in bright scene contrast and motion.

Either the JVX RS2000 or Sony 695es would give you PQ and light output that is significantly better than your Pearl!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are interested in DLP but suffer from the rainbow effect, you may want to consider the Hisense and CHiQ new pjs. Both are triple laser with no colour wheel. The Hisense 110 laser doesn't seem to be shipping yet, but the CHiQ C8UT is. It's retailing at about 8'500 euros in Europe.
Gregory reviewed it a few weeks ago.
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
post #23 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post
I likely had the Ruby (VW100) at the same time as your Pearl (VW50). They competed against the JVC RS1 at that point in time. The reason folks bought the Sony over the JVC then are exactly the today.

The differences are almost exactly the same as 10 to 15 years ago. The JVCs are still the king of on/off contrast and thus very dark scene contrast. The Sony does a little better in bright scene contrast and motion.

Either the JVX RS2000 or Sony 695es would give you PQ and light output that is significantly better than your Pearl!
I have seen the RS1000 and the VW695 side by side. I can't tell any difference with the motion. This was with motion enhancement turned off. Along with the added contrast, the main reason to look at the JVC is the HDR dynamic tone mapping. Also the JVC can be set up so that you do not have to do anything, other than watch the movie. Does not matter if it is HDR or SDR, the JVC will switch automaticlly. With the Sony, you will have to switch it manually back and forth.
DavidHir likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afzal_b View Post
If you are interested in DLP but suffer from the rainbow effect, you may want to consider the Hisense and CHiQ new pjs. Both are triple laser with no colour wheel. The Hisense 110 laser doesn't seem to be shipping yet, but the CHiQ C8UT is. It's retailing at about 8'500 euros in Europe.
Gregory reviewed it a few weeks ago.
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
Low contrast shifting DLP is not what I would recommend for a dedicated room.
DavidHir likes this.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-02-2020, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Low contrast shifting DLP is not what I would recommend for a dedicated room.
The OP talked about DLP, which is why I suggested looking at these models.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-03-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and let you know that I followed it.

I've already ordered a Stewart Studiotek 130 G4, 120" fixed 2.39:1. It should be here in under 2 weeks.

I will be ordering wither the JVC NX5 or NX7 in the next few days.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful comments.

Kind regards
Rob
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by Robert Holloway; 07-06-2020 at 08:27 PM.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holloway View Post
Hi everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and let you know that I followed it.

I've already ordered a Stewart Studiotek 130 G4, 120" fixed 2.39:1. It should be here in under 2 weeks.

I will be ordering wither the JVC NX5 or NX77 in the next few days.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful comments.

Kind regards
Rob
You will be very happy with JVC, I have an RS1000 and it never gets old, with it's HDR tone mapping feature, it delivers some of the best out-of-the-box cinemaphotography there is IMHO.

Watch "Life Of Pi" …
Craig Peer likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
You will be very happy with JVC, I have an RS1000 and it never gets old, with it's HDR tone mapping feature, it delivers some of the best out-of-the-box cinemaphotography there is IMHO.

Watch "Life Of Pi" …
Thanks Jeff, waiting to get my quote on the NX5 and 7
Changed my screen order to the 120' 16x9 versus the 2.35
Rob
post #29 of 30 Old Today, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I don't know about you guys, but I'm used to JVC announcing exciting improvements to their projector lines. For a long time they did that every year. Recently they started a two year trend. And now, because of a mixture of their 4K projectors being late and the Virus, I'm hearing that there might be no JVC news this CEDIA and it will be two years since they announced their 4K projectors in CEDIA 2018. I will be overjoyed to hear if JVC has new announcements this CEDIA. If anything, improvements in black levels and contrast, as well as dynamic iris tweaks and even better dynamic tone mapping would be welcome news.
post #30 of 30 Old Today, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm used to JVC announcing exciting improvements to their projector lines. For a long time they did that every year. Recently they started a two year trend. And now, because of a mixture of their 4K projectors being late and the Virus, I'm hearing that there might be no JVC news this CEDIA and it will be two years since they announced their 4K projectors in CEDIA 2018. I will be overjoyed to hear if JVC has new announcements this CEDIA. If anything, improvements in black levels and contrast, as well as dynamic iris tweaks and even better dynamic tone mapping would be welcome news.
Last year JVC gave a free firmware upgrade that added dynamic tone mapping for HDR. i think that change was bigger than the change from RS420/520/620 to RS440/540/640. And did I mention we got it for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page