• 1 Post By dovercat

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy JVC DLA-HD2K not powering up

Hi,
Managed to score a JVC DLA-HD2K projector for a very cheap price. I have no idea how old the unit is (at most it is 16 years old at least it is 13 years old) but to my eye seemed to be in very good condition. All has been going well until recently when it no longer powers up....not even a standby light blinks on. There is over 1000 hours left of lamp life and when I carefully removed the lamp unit it also seems to be in good condition.

I have some technical skills but not very much and would appreciate any guidance on this. I am hoping not to have to service it as a service will probably cost more than I paid for the unit.
Please help me brains trust!

Runescreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-29-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by runescreen View Post
Hi,
Managed to score a JVC DLA-HD2K projector for a very cheap price. I have no idea how old the unit is (at most it is 16 years old at least it is 13 years old) but to my eye seemed to be in very good condition. All has been going well until recently when it no longer powers up....not even a standby light blinks on. There is over 1000 hours left of lamp life and when I carefully removed the lamp unit it also seems to be in good condition.

I have some technical skills but not very much and would appreciate any guidance on this. I am hoping not to have to service it as a service will probably cost more than I paid for the unit.

Runescreen
This the company you would want to do the repairs.

https://mendtronix.com/projector-and...panel-service/

I've seen them on rare occasions offer repair specials. I don't remember the details, but it might be worth a call. The reality is you rolled the dice on an older used unit and it will need to be repaired.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #3 of 3 Old 06-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by runescreen View Post
Hi,

Runescreen
If it is similar to the JVC HD1 the old thread "JVC DLA-HD1 - Unit won't turn on" might help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfie View Post
Some suggestions if the projector doesn't turn on.
  1. Unplug the power cord. This resets everything in the projector.
  2. Remove & replace the lamp unit. This can reseat its power connection.
  3. Wait 30 minutes to ensure the projector is reset, then reattach the power cord.
  4. When you restore power, are the LEDs on top of the projector blinking? If so, the manual gives you a decode guide.
  5. If the lights aren't blinking after reconnecting power, then press the power button on top of the projector.
  6. Are the lights blinking in a pattern now? If so, use the manual to decode.

Recently received my neighbor's DLA-HD1 when I saw it gathering dust on a shelf in his garage. It had died and local shop couldn't repair it. Told him I have a hobby of fixing high-tech stuff without a deadline, asked for it. He was glad to give the useless thing to a good home.

Finally found and fixed the problem, now have a nice PJ, AV receiver (he upgraded his AV receiver when he bought the replacement 3D projector), screen and replacement lamp. At $0 purchase price. Will go into daughter's basement when her husband finishes the remodel. A very motivated man. Plus earned a few father-in-law credits.

After trying to fix several things that weren't broken, came down to the lamp hatch cover switch. The long finger coming off the bottom of the hatch operates a small switch inside the case. Lamp would start warming up, turn off and projector LEDs would blink. Finally decoded them, concluded it was some sensor warning the PJ that the lamp wasn't properly covered. Disassembled and found two candidates, fixed both.

The neighbor's late wife was a smoker, cigarette smoke probably fouled the switch contacts. Removed the switch. Blew compressed air into all its little niches, gently operated it from limit-to-limit about 20 times to try to clear things out. Reassembled and the projector works. Very satisfying.

Also cleared thick haze from the fresnel lens surface. Probably cigarette smoke baked on by the lamp's heat. Used a microfiber cloth barely dampened with distilled water.

The other candidate for "exposed lamp" is the black plastic piece covering the top of the passage between lamp and fresnel lens leading into optics. I bent its two copper fingers to ensure they made solid contact with the steel covering the optics portion.

When you replace the fan in the air duct during reassembly, ensure it's facing the correct direction. The shiny label at the fan's center should face the exhaust duct. There's also an indicator on the edge of the fan with two arrows at right angles. One shows which way the air will be blown, the other shows which way the blades spin.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post
I have the RS1 which I 've had since it released. It has shown this power issue a couple of times and pulling the power cord and waiting for about 15 to 20 minutes fixed it both times.
rboster likes this.

Projectiondesign F30 1080 VizSim with EN15 lens.130" white painted screen.
KEF Cresta 30 front speakers. Cresta 20c centre speaker. Cresta 10 rear speakers. Rega Vulcan subwoofer. Dayton Audio TT25-8 PUCK Tactile Transducers.
Samsung BD-H6500 Bluray player. Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver (Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1)
Bat cave room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page