Problem with DVD Playback on Sony VPL-VW570ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Debonaire

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem with DVD Playback on Sony VPL-VW570ES

Hi All,

I posted this in the Calibration section but was suggested to post it in here. Here’s what I am rocking:

Denon AVR-X8500H
UDP-LX 500 Blu-Ray Player connected to the Blu-Ray HDMI Input on the Denon
Sony Bravia X95G TV connected to HDMI Output 1 on the Denon via ACTIVE HDMI Cable
Sony VPL-VW570ES Projector connected to HDMI Output 2 on the Denon via ACTIVE HDMI cable

All devices are set to HDMI Enhanced where applicable and 4:4:4 Chroma.

When I play movies, I have set up my Logitech Harmony to ensure that the HDMI Output is set to the correct device on the Denon. Prior to doing this there were mixed results which I attributed to the Denon trying to switch between both unsuccessfully.

I can play UltraHD Blu-Rays, 3D Blu-Rays and Standard Blu-Rays on the Pioneer to both the TV and the Projector with crisp, flawless results. But when I try and play a standard DVD in the Pioneer, there are no problems playing to the Sony TV, but the Projector shows no-signal. If I set the Projector HDMI from Enhanced to Standard, it will display the DVD output. I can play the same DVD on an Xbox One connected to the same Denon and have it display to the Projector with no issues.

I can only assume the Pioneer has some setting that is attempting to upscale the DVD which the Projector is not able to decode? Or am I way off the mark? Many thanks in advance for any and all advice on this. If there are any configuration points I have left out, please let me know and I’ll do my best to add them to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Have you tried setting your output to source direct? That way there's no scaling done by the player at all.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I tried that on the Pioneer and then the Projector displayed "Frequency Out of Range". Does this mean that the player is displaying DVDs at 50/60Hz?

Edit: That shouldn't matter as the specs of the projector show that it should handle that frequency. Hmmm

Last edited by Stephen Payne; 06-30-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Payne View Post
Yes, I tried that on the Pioneer and then the Projector displayed "Frequency Out of Range". Does this mean that the player is displaying DVDs at 50/60Hz?

Edit: That shouldn't matter as the specs of the projector show that it should handle that frequency. Hmmm
Is the AVR is attempting some processing on the signal maybe?

Either that or the projector doesn't like the particular type of interlaced signal that is being sent. (which using 'Source Direct' one would assume it is doing, as interlaced is the native DVD signal I believe).

Try putting the LX500 on 'Auto' for resolution rather than 'Source Direct' and see if that changes anything.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I have Video Conversion and I/p Scaler turned off on the Denon. I have considered turning on the I/p scaler to try and enforce 4K for all input sources, but I'm not a fan of scaling as I've seen mixed results in the past.

The original setting on the LX500 was Auto, which results in no signal to the PJ. When I switched it to Source Direct, the PJ displayed the Frequency Out of Range error on screen.

I tried several different DVDs with the same issue. The only thing that seems to allow the image to be projected is by switching the PJ to Standard Mode in the HDMI settings. Which is OK but then I need to switch it back when watching UltraHD Blu-Rays or else I miss out on some of the detail.

The best workaround I have is probably to use the Xbox One to watch DVDs and everything else can be through the Pioneer.

Edit: I just tried switching the output of the LX500 to 4K24p and now DVDs are appearing on the PJ. I realise this is probably scaling the source on the Blu-Ray player although the image on-screen does not appear to be scaled.

Last edited by Stephen Payne; 07-01-2020 at 07:22 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Is the AVR is attempting some processing on the signal maybe?

Either that or the projector doesn't like the particular type of interlaced signal that is being sent. (which using 'Source Direct' one would assume it is doing, as interlaced is the native DVD signal I believe).

Try putting the LX500 on 'Auto' for resolution rather than 'Source Direct' and see if that changes anything.
DVD with 24 frame material is neither interlaced, nor progressive, but "segmented frame."

DVD's video is meant to be decoded into progressive when the source is 24 frames. But, in order to work properly on interlaced TVs, the signal is sent over an interlaced carrier. This was done for legacy reasons.

What should happen is the video gets translated to 854x480p24, packed as 720x480sF, that then gets upscaled to the projector's native resolution.

Quote:
With PsF, a progressive frame is divided into two segments, with the odd lines in one segment and the even lines in the other segment. Technically, the segments are equivalent to interlaced fields, but unlike native interlaced video, there is no motion between the two fields that make up the video frame: both fields represent the same instant in time. This technique allows for a progressive picture to be processed through the same electronic circuitry that is used to store, process and route interlaced video.

The term progressive segmented frame is used predominantly in relation to high definition video. In the world of standard definition video, which traditionally has been using interlaced scanning, it is also known as quasi-interlace,[1] progressive recording[2] or movie mode.[3]
Archibald1 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Payne View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I have Video Conversion and I/p Scaler turned off on the Denon. I have considered turning on the I/p scaler to try and enforce 4K for all input sources, but I'm not a fan of scaling as I've seen mixed results in the past.

The original setting on the LX500 was Auto, which results in no signal to the PJ. When I switched it to Source Direct, the PJ displayed the Frequency Out of Range error on screen.

I tried several different DVDs with the same issue. The only thing that seems to allow the image to be projected is by switching the PJ to Standard Mode in the HDMI settings. Which is OK but then I need to switch it back when watching UltraHD Blu-Rays or else I miss out on some of the detail.

The best workaround I have is probably to use the Xbox One to watch DVDs and everything else can be through the Pioneer.

Edit: I just tried switching the output of the LX500 to 4K24p and now DVDs are appearing on the PJ. I realise this is probably scaling the source on the Blu-Ray player although the image on-screen does not appear to be scaled.
Well, scaling happens at some point with anything other than native 4k(UHD) content as the TV and PJ need to upscale anything lower to display it.

Also, have you checked and made sure you have set both HDMI ports on the PJ to 'Enhanced Format'?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the Projector is set to HDMI Enhanced on both ports. Only HDMI1 is physically connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page