Optoma HD81 1080p DLP official discussion - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #4711 of 4835 Old 08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluecoltsfan View Post

I have have very intermitant luck controlling my HD81-LV with learned codes from an iPronto. Like you, power on works pretty well. I've gotten power off to work with a macro from hell that sends the commands with various delays a bunch of times. Switching HDMI inputs often doesn't work the first time.

My next step is to re-learn the IR codes both single push and held down and see if I can get something to work consistently.

(FWIW, I'm using a niles IR extender not RF)

That's pretty much what I do as well - send the "On" code once and it works. Send the "Off / Enter" code 10 times (I may up it to fifty). Same problems with switching to HDMI. I'm using the URC MR-350 RF Extender (not IR).

I'm also waiting patiently (over 2 weeks now) to get my HD81 back from Optotma. They are taking their sweet time waiting for a new I/O board. It seems the HDMI on the board has failed (that's why I got the previous problem I reported on this thread).

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4835 Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got word that Optoma is STILL waiting for my I/O board. So who can suggest the next step? Do I complain to someone about being without a projector for nearly a month?

post #4713 of 4835 Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Anyone have a used HD3000 that comes with the HD81 for sale? My house was burgled while I was away on vacation and I lost all the 'light' stuff out of my rack, including my existing hd3000.

Anyways if anyone is looking to upgrade drop me a line via pm and I can take the scaler off your hands. And I apologize if these types of posts aren't allowed

Thanks guys,
Tristan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 4835 Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

That's pretty much what I do as well - send the "On" code once and it works. Send the "Off / Enter" code 10 times (I may up it to fifty). Same problems with switching to HDMI. I'm using the URC MR-350 RF Extender (not IR).

I'm also waiting patiently (over 2 weeks now) to get my HD81 back from Optotma. They are taking their sweet time waiting for a new I/O board. It seems the HDMI on the board has failed (that's why I got the previous problem I reported on this thread).

One big positive of sending my unit back for the I/O board replacement is that I no longer have to send multiple codes to the HD81 - first one every time. Obviously I didn't modify my remote, so this was definitely a problem with the HD81, not my URC RF.

post #4715 of 4835 Old 09-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Well,

It is a sad day at the Morris household. My HD81 has finally decided to give me some fits. Actual, it won't finish its power cycle at all.

When I turn the projector on everything loooks normal except I get a new faint high pitched whine that I did not have before. I can see the bulb light up inside the lens but after about 5 seconds the buld goes dark. Then after about 30 seconds the red light blinks indicating a bulb failure.

I wanted to get some thoughts before I try and change the bulb out. The new whining sound and the fact the buld temporarily goes on makes me doubt it is the bulb itself.

I have unplugged both units and let them sit and then pluggend them back in. Same results.

Anyong have any ideas?

Thanks

Joe

All,

I thought that maybe I got the one good HD81 that Optoma made - almost no issues other than an occasional case where it would not start up (behaves as if the RS232 cable is disconnected, but starts up fine on the second attempt). Then came last night when I got the exact same problem that Joe described in his post from a year ago.

My initial thought was that the lamp was blown, as the lamp LED was flashing. However, on closer inspection as I tried to restart it, I noticed that there was indeed another faint sound after the initial color wheel start-up and the bulb was on for a short while.

I guess it is time for a call to Optoma and/or an email to Warren (is he still around?).

Mike
post #4716 of 4835 Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Warren is still with Optoma.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #4717 of 4835 Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks. The email I sent to him got bounced back, but I submitted my issue to tech support on the Optoma website and they responded quickly. I now have my RMA number and will be packing up the machine tonight.

Mike
post #4718 of 4835 Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Hi everybody!
My question is: how can I run service menu (Optoma HD81) and check the total working time of lamp? Thanks in advance
post #4719 of 4835 Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello ALL, this is my first post in AVS forums. I have been reading these forums now for more then 3 years every since I got the Benq PE7700 Projector (and find this is an excellent source of information out of all the forums i have come across on the net). I have since upgraded in March 2008to an Optoma HD81. I am surprised that there has not been many threads on this HD81 forum for a while.

I intially had problems with the HD81 in that it would give me a blue screen at random. To resolve this I would have to run the projector in high altitude mode (I am in the UK, London). However to resolve this Optoma were nice enough to call in a repair and replace some board in the unit (could be something linked to the HDMI circuit). However when I got it back and used it for a period of a few weeks the image became very dark with low hours on the bulb. After sending back it was established that the bulb needed replacing. Optoma were excellent in understanding that I had previous problems so they resolved the issue by replacing the bulb. They hinted that this was most likely caused by using the projector in high altitude mode when not necessary to, and this could have week'nd the bulb. Thought I would mention this as over the year or so I have read this whole thread and noticed other users had similar problems so thought this would help.

I was hoping more threads would appear here in terms of tweaking and configuration or more recent stuff peeps' have come across to improve the picture further. Unfortunatly I do not have the luxury of professional calibration and am doing everythng by eye. I am using a high power 2.8 gain screen material and the projector is ceiling mounted to a 90inch screen with a distance away requiring a 50% zoom. I have a skyhd box running 1080i and a PS3 using 1080p for Bluray. The xbox is set a 720p (I find games look and run better at this resolution with the optoma rescaling beautifully to the native resolution). Am using expensive Chord HDMI 1.3 cables between the components.

Sorry about the long thread...
post #4720 of 4835 Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Well,

I have been reading this thread on and off for the past 2 years. I purchased an Optoma HD-81 in March of 2007 and except for the remote control, I have had absolutely NO issues with it for almost 2 years. My remote sort of died on me - if I leave the batteries in it, it will eventually just stay permanently ON and drain the batteries. I have a programmable remote so as long as I keep the batteries out; I can use it when I need it for short bursts.

My lamp had about 1300 hours on it and the image was starting to look a bit dim. I got a new lamp last month and once I put it in, the WOW was back. The images with a fresh lamp are just gorgeous.

Last night while watching the Oscars, the projector suddenly went blank and the lamp light was flashing. I thought "oh no, my new lamp just blew out". However after powering down and restarting, I am getting the strange whirring noise that sounds like the color wheel. The lamp will power on then off and then the unit will try and power down, but stay on indefinitely until I pull the power plug.

I just sent my RMA request into Optoma so hopefully I will hear back from them soon and get this taken care of. I have 1 more year left on the manufacturer's warranty and I also had a 1 year extended GE warranty after that.

Does anyone have information on how long the repairs that they do for these last? I know a few of you have been through 4 - 5 units earlier on. I know I am stuck with this thing although I have warranty coverage for another 2 years, but just was trying to see if this is a onetime thing, or do I have to look forward to more of this down the road.
post #4721 of 4835 Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hdcl,

Your troubles have just begun..... That noise you heard in the color wheel probably will not be fixed. Mine was not. They will tell you it is within specs. If they return a refurb to you, check it carefully..It probably passed through either my home or Jeffs. I am on my 4th bulb and second LV. Mine is getting very dim too. It sounds like a Waring Blender but will not deliver Daquiris. Good luck my friend.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4722 of 4835 Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM

I am not sure I understand. Right now the projector is effectively "dead". It will power on for a few minutes, but no image appears and it powers down. I assume when the repair it, it will start functioning again (though god knows for how long). The wierd noise is not that loud, I just need a working projector back again.
post #4723 of 4835 Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are not sensitive to the color wheel noise, then you should be fine. You mentioned a strange "whirring" noise. That noise in mine is more like a 400Hz whine that measures 42 dB SPL at 1 meter. I was told that the techs said that was within specs. Let it suffice to say that I have not had anyone come to watch TV with me since I got the latest noisy LV. Perhaps I am too cinycal but after 5 81's and 2 LV's and a couple of repairs on top of that, I have a right to be.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4724 of 4835 Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Might be worth unpluging the controller as well as the projector for about 10 minutes and then trying them both on, check hdmi and rs232 cable (remove, replug in) before you turn the gear back on.

Also from my experience with an Optoma HD80, it is at best worth spending some money on a surge plug for the projectors power connection (they cost upto £10)

The lamp dim situation is getting me worried if this happens over 1000 hours (I use eco mode). This happened to me once, but was suggested it was because I was using high altitude mode (as to avoid the previous blue screen issues I had before a repair resolved those)
I am on the second lamp...

I hope this is not some poor lamp design.
post #4725 of 4835 Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM

hello,regarding the projector lamps ,i can solve it,just tell me the questions, my skype myth_grace or u can send to grace at awolamps don com

Projector spare parts/projector lamps

You will find what you need

www.brilamps.com

post #4726 of 4835 Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM

To update my previous post about my HD-81 failure, before I sent it back to Optoma, I tested it with both the original "dim" lamp with 1600 hours on it and the brand new lamp I just received and it would not power on with either lamp. I shipped it back with the old "dim" lamp.

I received an email from Optoma indicating that the only problem with the projector was that the lamp had failed. I sent a note back to them that the probability that both the old and new lamps had failed was unlikely and asked for more clarification on exactly what tests they performed. I then spoke directly with their technician, Michael Brown a few days ago.

Basically he said that the lamp that had been shipped back failed their lamp tests and when they put a new test lamp into the projector, it powers up just fine. I expressed my concern about 2 lamps supposedly failing in the same week and he said they were conducting some more extended tests on the projector and that I should call back on Monday or Tuesday.

Fortunately, I have an extended lamp warranty (2 years) on the projector that was part of the purchase price. I called the warranty company and they are shipping me another new lamp.

If Optoma's tests don't uncover anything wrong with the projector, the only thing I can think of is that we were having really bad power problems here the past month and the projector was on during two minor power interruptions (less than 1 second). During both of them the projector lamp warning light came on and the projector powered down. After the cool down period, the projector powered up again but I have heard that this type of power interruption and immediate restart of a hot bulb is very bad for bulb life.

I have read elsewhere on the forums that a UPS is highly recommended for these types of projectors due to their UHP lamps. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this theory?
post #4727 of 4835 Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On my LV, whenever I want to recover quickly from a "Blue Screen', I pull the plug and replug and power up within 10 sec. If you got 1600 hours out of one of these, you should be thrilled. on my LV, I am dim at 1200 hours and can not use Bright mode without a blue screen shut down. I am on my third bulb with one lasting 300 hours and danother 500. Can not wait for this thing to fail completely so i can justify the cost of a new projector other than Optoma.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4728 of 4835 Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Sorry, I meant 1300 hours on the original lamp.

As far as unplugging the projector without letting the lamp cool down before restarting it, from what I have read about high pressure lamps, this is a BIG no no and will reduce the life of the bulb. The main issue with these types of lamps (the HD-81 is listed as a Super High Pressure / Ultra High Pressure lamp) is that they are not supposed to be relit without adequate cool down. This is why they have fans that run when you shut them down, to allow for a quicker restart. If they just aircooled, you would have to wait 10 - 15 minutes before restarting them instead of just 2-3 minutes.

You can do an internet search on "power interruption high pressure lamp" or check one of the many articles such as:

http://www.osram.fi/osram_fi/Profess...LL_HCI-TT.html

where it clearly states:

*Where possible, use a timer igniter (switch-off time of at least 15 minutes). Otherwise, switch off the luminaire for at least 15 minutes if a brief interruption has occurred to the mains voltage supply"

I know this is not the same lamp used in the HD-81, but it is the same basic technology. Your "hot unplugging" may be the cause of your reduced lamp life. There are many posts in this forum recommending the use of a UPS for DLP based front or rear projectors (search the forums for "UPS DLP").
post #4729 of 4835 Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When an 81 reverts to a blue screen, it might stay there forever unless you pull the plug. I have not had the luxury of waiting for it to cool down. Often, I must pull the plug and replug it as quickly as possible. Then I have to restart it. There is no choice involved. Blue screen and lockup are one in the same often. Remember that I have an LV which uses a 300 watt bulb. The cooling system is inadequate. It is that simple.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4730 of 4835 Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM

The latest update from Optoma is that the mainboard has gone bad and needs to be replaced. They discovered this on Monday, but as of today are "still working on it" . Hopefully this means that my other new bulb is still fine.
post #4731 of 4835 Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Sigh, after a great run, my HD81 is starting to give me trouble. It turns on, goes through the startup sequence, then after maybe 30 seconds of image display it turns off with the lamp light blinking red. The user manual says blinking orange means lamp failure so... I guess that's it. I'll call Optoma on Monday and see what they say. I hope it's not a problem that I bought the projector second hand (from someone here on AVS )
post #4732 of 4835 Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitenothing View Post

Sigh, after a great run, my HD81 is starting to give me trouble. It turns on, goes through the startup sequence, then after maybe 30 seconds of image display it turns off with the lamp light blinking red. The user manual says blinking orange means lamp failure so... I guess that's it. I'll call Optoma on Monday and see what they say. I hope it's not a problem that I bought the projector second hand (from someone here on AVS )

I'm sure lamps are for sale to anyone who wants them.
post #4733 of 4835 Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I'm sure lamps are for sale to anyone who wants them.

Yes, I'm hoping it's just the lamp. I'm a bit skeptical though because the lamp seems to work fine for 0.5-1 min and I've never had any warnings.
post #4734 of 4835 Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I'm hoping it's just the lamp. I'm a bit skeptical though because the lamp seems to work fine for 0.5-1 min and I've never had any warnings.

I'm crossing my fingers its just a lamp. After one time in the shop for a bad main board, I haven't had any problems with my unit. But every time I turn on my Optoma, I remember the ONLY reason it's hanging from my ceiling is because Chief Mounts sent me an accessory via two day air so that it would arrive before the big football game. Optoma, the company that screwed up royally and didn't remove the mounting screw that was spinning in their housing and couldn't be used to mount the projector, wanted me to pay shipping and the cost for removing the screw $85 - even though the screw wasn't stripped (the brass housing is spinning inside the plastic hole). After a couple of days I called Chief and they didn't even charge me a penny to ship out the accessory that could make the mount work with only two screw holes.

So I'm definitely saving my penny's for a new projector, but it will definitely NOT be an Optoma. To think that if they treated me differently, they'd not only reap another $6,000 from me, but I've convinced two of my friends to go with cheap $1k BenQ's who were going to get Optoma's. Hopefully this post convinces MORE people to stay away from Optoma.

post #4735 of 4835 Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have been through 5 lamps already. They last anywhere from a few hundred hours to over 1500. The 81 will continue to shut off until you replace the lamp. I guess that after they age a bit, the battery draws more current until the system shuts itself down. This is all speculation. My father has owned 2 Infocus projectors that ran until the bulb shut off. That occurred ay 200o+ hours. Guess that is the price we must may for the very bright image we see with the 81's.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4736 of 4835 Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM

HD81 gives me the "bad lamp" indicator, even with a brand new lamp. Tried to send to Optoma, but they checked my serial number and said it was a "refurb". It was sold to me as new, but that's not Optoma's fault. (are the warranties not transferrable? At this point in time, it wasnt even possible for this HD81 to be out of warranty, it hadnt been out long enough!). Rather than paying for out of warranty repair on a unit that is clearly a lemon and typically isn't ever fixed "right", I decided to save the money.

So brilliant me, i go buy a HD806. That was in march, now its dead already. I assumed it was a bad lamp, so i tried a brand new one and another spare, no dice. I send to Optoma via RMA, and I hear back from Mike that it's a bad lamp, but they only warranty the lamps for 90 days now so i need to spend another $579 to replace it. I explain that i've already tried three lamps, one of which was brand new, but the tech insists it works fine with their test lamp. So i tell them to go ahead and send it back to me "unrepaired". I've purchased yet another brand new lamp, and needless to say if the projector comes back (tomorrow) and it isn't the lamp, i'm going to be very unhappy. Why didnt i just let them replace the lamp? Two reasons, one their pricing was awful. Two, i want to see for myself that replacing the lamp fixes the problem.... i have a hard time beleiving all 3 of my lamps were defective, and i'll never beleive that 4 of them are.

So there is my rant, my question is more about the HD81. For you guys that have seen this issue (LED's show bad lamp even with a brand new one), does it typically turn out to be the IO board? Does anyone have a clue what it would costs to get that fixed? I'd like to have it as a backup since my HD806 will probably be in and out of RMA...

thanks,
Shane
post #4737 of 4835 Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have put 4 lamps in my LV. These units really run the lamps hard. All my lamps came from Optoma but the last one. It has been in there for 2 months and working well. My last lamp lasted 1800 hours, more than twice what any other lamp lasted. Bottom line...these projectors provide a nice picture when they are working but unfortunately that is a very small portion of the time.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4738 of 4835 Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Just FYI to follow up on my old post, the new bulb fixed by lamp error. I'm not sure I understand completely why the bad bulb would light up briefly and why I wasn't warned that the end of bulb life was coming but, it's back up and running. I'm going to take it out of high altitude mode and see if I get more life out of the bulb that way.
post #4739 of 4835 Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe that as they age, these bulbs draw more current. I always run mine in low brightness mode now and never use the Brilliant color setting. I read that was supposed to make the machine run hotter. Have no supporting evidence for that and frankly cannot imagine how that could be true. Mine is so noisy anyway that I'm the only one who can stand it. Maybe if I get some "noise cancelling" headphones.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4740 of 4835 Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Were there ever any firmware updates made available for this PJ? I was one of the first to buy one, and had an update installed when it went in for a ps (and lamp) replacement, but not since. A bit of looking would indicate there are no available firmware updates, and I'm having a problem with a new denon 3310CI where it seems I can't get picture and audio at the same time over hdmi from a ps3. If I unplug the hdmi to the PJ, I get sound over hdmi, but when I plug it back in, the sound disappears. It comes back if I unplug the projector hdmi again. If I plug my computer monitor in via hdmi, I still get picture and sound. It may not be a problem with the projector or firmware, but I have nearly no way of being able to find the culprit.

I'm not really asking anyone to debug this problem for me, I just wanted to explain why I was asking. If I can't figure it out, I will probably post a question in the denon thread.

Thanks

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page