Bat cavers - flat black paint vs black velvet? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 105 Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8525
+1 for dark fabric on the walls

I have my basement cave covered in a combo of dark moss green velvet (screen wall)
Black velvet and chocolate brown chaneille (back and side walls)
and brown micro suede curtains to hide my unfinished storage area/utility room.

The Video performance gain was Huge!,
... but so was the improvement in audio

I skipped the whole messy drywall,tape,sand,paint routine and just stapled material to the wood studs right over insulation.

Back wall, the camera flash doesn't even light up the fabric at all (click pic to turn the lights on)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice setup PioManiac!

Sage would you mind telling us were you bought the best piece of velvet? The one you end up using?

Bruno
post #93 of 105 Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM

I found this thread extremely informative on the different velvet brands.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099186
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 105 Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgosselin View Post

Nice setup PioManiac!

Sage would you mind telling us were you bought the best piece of velvet? The one you end up using?

Bruno

Crud -- I can't remember. IIRC, they were located out of colorado. They were a bulk fabric place. I got a ton of samples first, tried them all out for reflectivity and fire safety, then bought quite a few yards of the 'best'. I though I got more than enough, but I needed more than I purchased. Unfortunately, they were out, so my ceiling is actually done in a very dark blue. Since the trim in the room is blue, this actually looks great.
post #95 of 105 Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I think I will order the protostar for the ceiling it's seem to me it will be easier to install than regular velvet fabric. I'm nerveous because I read that the protostar can unglue after a while. On there website they say they now have a new glue.

I will go to a local store to check as many velvet as possible and used that for side wall and front wall. The back wall will stay as it is right now. Flat black paint.

Bruno
post #96 of 105 Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgosselin View Post

I will go to a local store to check as many velvet as possible and used that for side wall and front wall. The back wall will stay as it is right now. Flat black paint.

Bruno

I would recommend doing the back wall, if you get a chance. I would imagine a significant amount of reflected light would bounce back to the screen, reducing your intrascene contrast.
post #97 of 105 Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Been doing a lot of reading on this subject today and have been seriously considering doing some velvet around my screen, probably about 3 feet out of either side and on the ceiling above. Currently my walls are a Navy Blue matte finish and my ceiling is flat Gray. My setup is below:

The only differences now is I have white molding along the bottom and a long stand in front of the screen (dark brown) which holds my center channel and stores blu rays (this thing: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90253470/).

I'm using a BenQ W1070 which throws out a lot of excess light leakage, so I'm just wondering if the velvet around the screen and on the ceiling is worth it? I've been looking at the triple plush black velvet from SyFabrics and was just thinking about tacking it on around the areas I mentioned to keep it simple. Thoughts?

Basement: BenQ W1070 on 110" Elite Screen, Denon AVR-1913, JBL LC1 (C), JBL L880 (FL/FR), JBL 810 (BR/BL), Rhythmik LV12R Sub, PS3 and Roku 3
Living Room: Vizio M65-E0, Vizio SB3651-e6 Soundbar, PS4, Roku Premier+, and X Box One X coming soon
post #98 of 105 Old 12-17-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Yes, black velvet. See pics in sig below. Wall treatment is removable, held on with magnets on embedded sheet metal strips. Ceiling permanent, velvet glued to ply wood and attached with 18 gauge nail gun.
See photos here for a little more detail with comments under photos when enlarged Livingroom update

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #99 of 105 Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'm starting to line my speaker cabinets with triple black velvet from SyFabrics and have found this double-sided adhesive to work really well:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10056/Double-Sided-Foam-Tape/3M-110-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-1-2-x-75?pricode=WU351&gadtype=pla&id=34610388802&gclid=CNOx4-zI27sCFdBlOgod01IAPA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think I'm going to attempt it with my ceiling as well to see how well it stays, it's non destructive and hidden from sight. I'm LOVING the effect that the blackout is giving right now, I've only done my speakers and it's made my setup seem much more immersive already.

Basement: BenQ W1070 on 110" Elite Screen, Denon AVR-1913, JBL LC1 (C), JBL L880 (FL/FR), JBL 810 (BR/BL), Rhythmik LV12R Sub, PS3 and Roku 3
Living Room: Vizio M65-E0, Vizio SB3651-e6 Soundbar, PS4, Roku Premier+, and X Box One X coming soon
post #100 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Yes, black velvet. See pics in sig below. Wall treatment is removable, held on with magnets on embedded sheet metal strips. Ceiling permanent, velvet glued to ply wood and attached with 18 gauge nail gun.
See photos here for a little more detail with comments under photos when enlarged Livingroom update
Okay, so I have a whole bunch of Protostar AND Sy Fabrics velvet. I need to cover about 40 inches by 12 feet of ceiling that touches the projector screen wall, and then need to surround the projector screen wall with fabric as well as one of the side walls (other side is open area that will be covered by a black curtain).

My question is, which black material should I use for which area(s) and which for the remaining area(s), and what is the best way to secure the Sy Fabrics velvet in a particular place depending on the area covered (ceiling if recommended versus walls if recommended versus covering the entertainment console if recommended). The Protostar obviously has it's own adhesive so depending on what's recommended it should be easier to just plop on.

Long story short, should I use Protostar for ceiling or Sy Fabrics, should I use Protostar for projector screen wall and surrounding screen or Sy Fabrics, etc.?

Thank you for the help in advance!!! Excited and will post pics when this crazy endeavor is finally "finished!"
post #101 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 7086
I used Protostart on the ceiling for about 6 feet back. I used black velvet curtains on the screen wall in all areas. You can see pics in my signature. Worked great. Flat black paint on everything else. The only area I really see light reflection now is my carpetting, which is "black" but looks dark gray compared to the velvet and protostar.

Also, I've ordered stuff from Protostar a few times and not every roll looks the same. Almost like they use multiple dye lots. So when you receive (especially if you get multiple rolls) I would roll some out and make sure they blend well before installing otherwise it may bug you later.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #102 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 8433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I used Protostart on the ceiling for about 6 feet back. I used black velvet curtains on the screen wall in all areas. You can see pics in my signature. Worked great. Flat black paint on everything else. The only area I really see light reflection now is my carpetting, which is "black" but looks dark gray compared to the velvet and protostar.

Also, I've ordered stuff from Protostar a few times and not every roll looks the same. Almost like they use multiple dye lots. So when you receive (especially if you get multiple rolls) I would roll some out and make sure they blend well before installing otherwise it may bug you later.

Good to know Kris. I only have one large roll, which is nearly gone. I'll keep this in mind if I get more.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #103 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 7086
The first time I ordered from them I got two rolls. One was slightly darker than the other and it was noticeable on the ceiling. The second time I ordered the rolls were all the same but they had a red cast to them and weren't nearly as dark as the original stuff I had. I emailed them about exchanging them with not so much as a peep in response. I don't notice it on the ceiling though. If I ever order from them again I will probably do a bigger order and make sure the rolls I get are good and send back the ones that are not. Or call them and demand a swap or refund. I don't think they are used to dealing with home theater installs where you can actually see the material on a wall. No one sees it inside a telescope tube.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #104 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 8433
Yes, we can be a very picky bunch. That's why we argue over which projector is best. When most people will just watch any of them and not know what the heck we are talking about!

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #105 of 105 Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Picky is an understatement. "Lunatic fringe" is a better description of us I think.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page